Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 (13265 Views)

Name Those Premium Softwares You Need But Can't Afford Or Access / Please I Need A Laptop Bv I Can't Afford One. / Pentium M Laptops For Just N16,000 Each ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by playmode(m): 10:21pm On May 17, 2011
manny4life:

^^^^ thats no way possible

Why do you say that? Anything is possible in South Korea technology wise.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by denzel2009: 10:21pm On May 17, 2011
manny4life:

It's actually not far from the truth. You wonder why most torrent uploaders are from that area?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:31pm On May 17, 2011
you folks are missing the point.
the scam in nigeria is not merely the prices, its the total package itself, Qos especially.

when you say u pay 24 dollars or pounds for broadband abroad, u need to realise 95% internet users in nigeris have never seen broadband speed in their lives yet they pay more than u do.
i stand to be corrected but the highest speed in nigeria is 3g which is just being introduced by a few like swift. hitherto we have peeps like mtn with 384 kbps SHARED. thus when a naija guy creams his pants over speed he probably just clocked 150 kbps for ten secs.

add this to 50 percent downtime, you begin to get the picture. so wen we complain about the prices etc, PLS STOP DEMONSTRATING UR MUMU BY TRYING TO JUSTIFY IT.

there is no excuse for selling people third rate internet at first rate prices.

oh and i forgot, data caps, time limits. like that fellow proudly advertising his starcomms 6500, he forgot to add he has just 100 hrs usage. thats about 4 days 24/7 usage. so u can be sure he rations his time in the net.
and the 16k glo plan is limited to 18gb of data, u dare not stream.

anyway, believe it or not, internet is still regarded as a luxury hereabouts. pity
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:36pm On May 17, 2011
y'all need to google worlds fastest internet speeds and be wowed at what some folks get commercially. matter of fact, 1Gbps internet is already in trial by google in america. so?

naija is simply hellish, all these old farts need to just leave
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by playmode(m): 11:00pm On May 17, 2011
manny4life:

That's really expensive

You should read this article :

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/technology/22iht-broadband22.html?_r=1
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by olaolabiy: 11:12pm On May 17, 2011
Buzugee is right, though. You all have to listen to him.

I pay 15 pounds for Talk Talk Unlimited Broadband + Phone (land line). Now, listen, this gives me unlimited broadband, free phone calls to the US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and almost all countries in Europe - anytime, any day of the week. It also gives me free off-peak phone calls within the UK and anytime on weekends.

And, it's JUST 15 pounds. FACT!
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by MMM2(m): 11:15pm On May 17, 2011
are dere know government in dat country called 9ja.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by nolongtin(m): 11:52pm On May 17, 2011
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Gekko(m): 12:04am On May 18, 2011
4llerbuntu:

the scam in nigeria is not merely the prices, its the total package itself, Qos especially.

when you say u pay 24 dollars or pounds for broadband abroad, u need to realise 95% internet users in nigeris have never seen broadband speed in their lives yet they pay more than u do.
i stand to be corrected but the highest speed in nigeria is 3g which is just being introduced by a few like swift. hitherto we have peeps like mtn with 384 kbps SHARED. thus when a naija guy creams his pants over speed he probably just clocked 150 kbps for ten secs.

add this to 50 percent downtime, you begin to get the picture. so wen we complain about the prices etc, PLS STOP DEMONSTRATING your MUMU BY TRYING TO JUSTIFY IT.

oh and i forgot, data caps, time limits. like that fellow proudly advertising his starcomms 6500, he forgot to add he has just 100 hrs usage. thats about 4 days 24/7 usage. so u can be sure he rations his time in the net.

anyway, believe it or not, internet is still regarded as a luxury hereabouts. pity

this is a grim picture you just painted and its such a shame that our leadership is not sophisticated and savvy enough to take appropriate action with urgency.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by campbell05: 12:31am On May 18, 2011
Total Rip off, even BIS ALL NA RIP OFF FOR NIGERIA, Nigeria is ranked 10th Internet user in the world yet we pay 16000 for monthly fee. the connection is a disaster plus the, RIP OFF!!!
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by olaolabiy: 12:37am On May 18, 2011
There is a big opportunity in Nigeria for rich savvy businessmen.
Imagine.

Put in place a good Internet service and apply life cycle pricing. One will make a mint, man.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by manny4life(m): 12:39am On May 18, 2011
playmode:

You should read this article :

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/technology/22iht-broadband22.html?_r=1

I like technology, but this is taking it extreme.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by campbell05: 12:45am On May 18, 2011
You can imagine 4gs unlimited connection $45. BIS 10$ UNLIMITED EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING IN NIGERIA NA SCAM.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by manny4life(m): 12:47am On May 18, 2011
I'm really impressed, but why do Nigerian service providers suck on internet service? Is it because they don't have the equipments or the money?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kobojunkie: 2:01am On May 18, 2011
ola olabiy:

There is a big opportunity in Nigeria for rich savvy businessmen.
Imagine.

Put in place a good Internet service and apply life cycle pricing. One will make a mint, man.

Why spend money putting in good when you can put in half the effort and make just as much? grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kilode1: 2:11am On May 18, 2011
buzugee:

guys, see when i am amazed at the price of things in naija including internet, i also leverage it against the wages and economic situation of naija. and when you look at it wholesomely. . . i guess my conclusion to the whole saga is that america and nigeria are 2 extremely capitalistic nations in which the govt colludes with big business to rip off its citizens.

You are on the money!

Couldn't have put it any better.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by babaowo: 2:30am On May 18, 2011
internet cost die in naija ooo
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kilode1: 2:54am On May 18, 2011
4llerbuntu:

add this to 50 percent downtime, you begin to get the picture. so wen we complain about the prices etc, PLS STOP DEMONSTRATING your MUMU BY TRYING TO JUSTIFY IT.

This is a very sad story really.

Where is ekt_bear? cool

American capitalists have nothing, zilch! nada! on the profiteers we have in Nigeria. We have zero regulation and maximum enjoyment for brave profiteers!

Bring your businesses to Nigeria, your profit will be as high as your greed can carry you.

I think I should be hired to write a trade copy for the Federal Ministry of Commerce, any contacts cool
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by hercules07: 5:57am On May 18, 2011
@ekt_bear

The ISPs connect via fiber cables to major service providers who have fibers running all the way to Europe, the challenge is in the distribution medium. The failure of Nitel also has repercussions for data services, we do not have cable in the ground, all of our service providers prefer going wireless as it is easier to setup, if you look at our phone service, everybody calls on mobile, that is not meant to be the case, the mobile is meant to be used when you are transiting say between work and home or on the move, what we have is the mobile being the primary means of communication, now we know that mobile technology is playing catch up with cable, also it is a shared medium and as I always say the real estate of a mobile firm is its frequency which is in short supply and is narrow (typically 5Mhz), I believe the best modulation techniques will give you roughly 4 times of that, now that is what is shared in a sector and companies do not usually have more than 3 of these 5Mhz spectrum ( dont try NCC charges for frequency spectrum, na die), so, maximum you can have 60Mbps at a cell site, now imagine that cell site having 300 subscribers with say 25% working concurrently and the 60Mbps is shared among them, so, even before you get to the transmission point, the distribution side is messed up as people are contending for bandwidth on a cell site close to them, building more cell sites is out of the way as it is expensive.
The other challenge is what is priority for these mobile firms, for MTN, voice is number one, your MTN Data service is probably priority 3, infact when they did a capacity swap with MainOne, they placed mainone on priority 3 which was a best effort service (mainone people hala them no be small).
The solution is to deploy more cell stations running wimax, but the dream of FTTH or even copper to the home is far far away as nobody is ready to build cable plants because of right of way issue, how localised cabling is and the bad belle that leads to cable cutting (those phone companies dey cut each other fiber oooo, serious bad belle), so, we are left at the mercy of the developed nations to find faster means wireless communications for us.
We also need to peer these major ISPs, imagine me sending a mail to my wife sitting beside me, if I am using swift and she is using MTN, the packets go out to london and back before gets the mail, that increase cost and congests the network.
These are all technical details, now imagine the administrative and political issues militating against broadband access in Nigeria Abeg hand dey pain me, I no dey write this much.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 6:04am On May 18, 2011
I am kinda amazed with all those amount, guess i m getting ripped off too, lol but who do i complain to , no be by force lol

I pay $200cnd for  tv, internet and homephone.

TV package include about 10 HD channels cos i have to watch tsn and co on High defination( NHL&NBA fan)  and more than 200 regular cable channels.

home-phone package includes free call to north america, call display, call waiting and all other yeye stuff i really dont need  angry.

and of course wireless which is very good,

I  kinda think US has better plans.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by denzel2009: 6:39am On May 18, 2011
hercules07:

@ekt_bear

The ISPs connect via fiber cables to major service providers who have fibers running all the way to Europe, the challenge is in the distribution medium. The failure of [b]Nitel [/b]also has repercussions for data services, we do not have cable in the ground, all of our service providers prefer going wireless as it is easier to setup, if you look at our phone service, everybody calls on mobile, that is not meant to be the case, the mobile is meant to be used when you are transiting say between work and home or on the move, what we have is the mobile being the primary means of communication, now we know that mobile technology is playing catch up with cable, also it is a shared medium and as I always say the real estate of a mobile firm is its frequency which is in short supply and is narrow (typically 5Mhz), I believe the best modulation techniques will give you roughly 4 times of that, now that is what is shared in a sector and companies do not usually have more than 3 of these 5Mhz spectrum ( dont try NCC charges for frequency spectrum, na die), so, maximum you can have 60Mbps at a cell site, now imagine that cell site having 300 subscribers with say 25% working concurrently and the 60Mbps is shared among them, so, even before you get to the transmission point, the distribution side is messed up as people are contending for bandwidth on  a cell site close to them, building more cell sites is out of the way as it is expensive.
The other challenge is what is priority for these mobile firms, for MTN, voice is number one, your MTN Data service is probably priority 3, infact when they did a capacity swap with MainOne, they placed mainone on priority 3 which was a best effort service (mainone people hala them no be small).
The solution is to deploy more cell stations running wimax, but the dream of FTTH or even copper to the home is far far away as nobody is ready to build cable plants because of right of way issue, how localised cabling is and the bad belle that leads to cable cutting (those phone companies dey cut each other fiber oooo, serious bad belle), so, we are left at the mercy of the developed nations to find faster means wireless communications for us.
We also need to peer these major ISPs, imagine me sending a mail to my wife sitting beside me, if I am using swift and she is using MTN, the packets go out to london and back before gets the mail, that increase cost and congests the network.
These are all technical details, now imagine the administrative and political issues militating against broadband access in Nigeria Abeg hand dey pain me, I no dey write this much.

When Nitel was bastardized and we embraced the starcomms fad, I knew we just postponed our problem. If we still had NITEL, they could have provided a reliable ADSL connection and each household would enjoy a decent speed at least.

IMHO, the west likes the status quo, we are a menace on the internet with shitty speed we have currently. I have actually seen a guy on NL who downloaded about 24Gb of files with his phone, that's what I call phone paedo. Imagine Nigerians having a faster internet services, all dating sites and corporate organizations are in trouble, in fact, most dating sites don't allow Nigerians. . .paypal? western union? When Nigerian guys got the hang of facebook (pronounced phase book), Mark Zuckerberg raised the level of security cos they were inboxing all the girls on there and don't let me talk about twits.

It's a shame really, cos the way things are going with e-Commerce revolution and the current buzzword in IT circles-Cloud, Nigeria is waaaaaay behind.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 8:26am On May 18, 2011
I pay N16800 on Visaphone internet monthly. N3000 on MTN Blackberry, N60,000on petrol for Generator, N10,700 for DSTV monthly subscription, N3000 PHCN bill, at least N12,000 to fuel my car, N30,000 monthly kitchen allowance for food (given to my fiancee) and other unforeseen bills. Can any of you simply calculate this and see why I cant sleep well at night ? I dont even calculate how much I spend maintenance of generator and car. and for the druy cleaner ?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by kabtun(m): 8:32am On May 18, 2011
imagine in a country like Sudan, you pay 2500 Naira per month for 5GB airtime on HSPDA, a 3.75g network. the modem itself cost 5k. something needs to be done in Nigeria.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by kabtun(m): 8:35am On May 18, 2011
LeoMax:

I pay N16800 on Visaphone internet monthly. N3000 on MTN Blackberry, N60,000on petrol for Generator, N10,700 for DSTV monthly subscription, N3000 PHCN bill, at least N12,000 to fuel my car, N30,000 monthly kitchen allowance for food (given to my fiancee) and other unforeseen bills. Can any of you simply calculate this and see why I cant sleep well at night ? I dont even calculate how much I spend maintenance of generator and car. and for the druy cleaner ?
what about your phone bill. but this your 60k on generator is outrageous
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 8:48am On May 18, 2011
@kabtun

My phone bill is crazy too. Its N1 Etisalat a day and I dont make calls with MTN phone except emergency. But the rough estimate is like N1k a day or at least N25k a month at the minimum. I have 2 generating set, if one goes down for repairs the back up is used. I cant even sleep without the AC, you know what I mean cos my area in VI has issues with transformer. Its really crazy, the rent is even on the high side. Many times I feel like moving to Ghana or SA, but due to the high fees I have paid on rent and other bills. I spend roughly N160,000 monthly. No single lie here and no one should criticise but advise
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by kabtun(m): 8:53am On May 18, 2011
LeoMax:

@kabtun

My phone bill is crazy too. Its N1 Etisalat a day and I dont make calls with MTN phone except emergency. But the rough estimate is like N1k a day or at least N25k a month at the minimum.  I have 2 generating set, if one goes down for repairs the back up is used. I cant even sleep without the AC, you know what I mean cos my area in VI has issues with transformer. Its really crazy, the rent is even on the high side. Many times I feel like moving to Ghana or SA, but due to the high fees I have paid on rent and other bills. I spend roughly N160,000 monthly. No single lie  here and no one should criticise but advise
i dont think its a must to live that high but if you earn that much then you deserve a high life because this life is too short not to be enjoyed. try using inverter to reduce your cost on generator.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 9:04am On May 18, 2011
@kabtun
I am not a rich man, i import cars from US and sell them here and I dont even have a showroom. But I live in VI and Lekki Phase 1 even since I came to Lagos 7 yrs ago. I heard cost of living is cheaper in other part of Lagos, but I cant simply tell the difference since I havent lived anywhere else.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by kabtun(m): 9:07am On May 18, 2011
since you can afford the luxury, its ok
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by campbell05: 9:15am On May 18, 2011
@LeoMax  My brother i completely understand how you feel about this situation.

INTERNET CONNECTION 15,000

FUEL FOR CAR 24,000

FUEL FOR GENERATOR 24HRS 31,000

NEPA 6,000

DSTV 9,600

DRY CLEANER 10,000

GAS 3,000

PHONE BILL EVERY DAY AT LEAST 15,500

BLACKBERRY SERVICE 3,000
TOTAL   117100 HOW PERSON WAN TAKE SLEEP WELL? ON TOP HOW MUCH ALMOST $750 MONEY TO TAKE PAY HOUSE RENT WITH UTILITIES FOR YANKEE.
Not to talk about Babe wahala, hmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kobojunkie: 9:20am On May 18, 2011
Fuel for Generator Naira 31000 a Month? Why do I get the feeling you folks are not being honest, at least with your own selves here undecided I am not saying you are both lying or anything but come on . . . if you enjoy living the way you do, then own up to it please. No need for the guilt ooo!!! If you can afford to pay all that while living in Nigeria then I say the place fit una.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by campbell05: 9:28am On May 18, 2011
@Kobojunkie BROTHER DEPENDING ON THE KIND OF GEN YOU USE, MY BROTHER PLACES DEY FOR LAGOS WHER NEPA NO DEY EVEN GIVE LIGHT FOR 30MINUTES, IF YOU DRIVE CAR ON THE STREET OF LAGOS YOU'D KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Let's buy your UK Used and Nigeria Used Laptops ( Terms and Conditions) / Screenshots of Our PC Desktops / Order For Your Laptop ( NEW And LONDON USED) Deliver Anywhere In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.