Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? (6897 Views)

You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much / Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by henryhemon(m): 6:03pm On May 18, 2011
Considering the fact that you made a mistake?and you are being underpaid?
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by haydesh: 6:40pm On May 18, 2011
@Poster
and you are being underpaid?
underpaid is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!

Considering the fact that you made a mistake
Letz just say its a wake up call!

But for the mistake and depending on the type of 'mistake', if it were in places like South Africa,
it's bingo CCMA/Labour court here we come for alleged unfair labour practice or constructive dismissal if he/she doesn't want to be constructive, career upholding or back off

It's a good thing we are beginning to see the value of a relevant progressive labour law which is in place, implemented, monitored and has necessary support structures/institutions

This is the core of our discussion on Nigeria Labour Forum
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by iice(f): 5:03am On May 19, 2011
Correct the mistake.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by xreal: 2:36pm On May 19, 2011
Put the 'pay' aside.
You made a mistake here. . . obviously your boss was hurt.

I'ld remain quiet and sorry.

Wait first, you wan fight am? Kuma! wetin you go do if e call you a baskard.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by OWOLAYEMO: 12:22pm On May 20, 2011
What we you do? Nothing. It is a daily dosage. you just have to tolerate this insults on regular basis.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 20, 2011
Keep maturely mute. Do his bidden without falling for the temptation to vomit a reply.
He'll realize through your body language that you didn't feel good about his initial vulgar declaration. Soon, he'll call to smile and cheer you up again.
If he can, he'll tell you he's sorry.
I care.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by cold(m): 12:28pm On May 20, 2011
tell him to taq his job & shove it up his bsckside. What nonsense angry

1 Like

Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 20, 2011
cold:

tell him to taq his job & shove it up his bsckside. What nonsense angry
Haba. Although, nobody responds well to rudeness, but we should learn to swallow and calm all the way.
The boss'd learn to tame his vulgar words wiv time.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by MPEROR: 12:49pm On May 20, 2011
Call his mother a garden tool
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Koolking(m): 12:58pm On May 20, 2011
Mehn, I will do nothing. I have heard that from my boss over a thousand times. Not necessarily committing a blunder but having a fall out from the wife or business contemporaries.
More often than not, he would burst into our department and label everybody- married and unmarried "bunch of fools. If you don't like it you leave the job. Some bosses are too arrogant. This is very obvious among Nigerian entrepreneurs. They feel they do people favours.

Working for another person is one of the craziest things: You need to accept to be ping-ponged everywhere. If you are sure where you are going and what you want to achieve working with such boss, you don't mind being call whatever. It does not in any way bring your dignity low.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by MMM2(m): 1:30pm On May 20, 2011
me na
boss
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Texther(m): 2:08pm On May 20, 2011
I'll say thank u!!!!!!
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Blazay(m): 2:17pm On May 20, 2011
Smile and  just think of my huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge pay check he pays me for doing nothing. kiss

Considering the fact that you made a mistake?and you are being underpaid?

If it bothers me I would wait to get another job before leaving. Being underpaid is better than being unemployed.
The choice is yours!
Gas is almost $5 per gallon.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by cinzo: 2:17pm On May 20, 2011
Wait for him at the gate after work and beat his crazy arse!
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by PupetMasta(m): 2:18pm On May 20, 2011
My boss (an Indian) have this habit of saying "don't be stupid" when both of you are arguing over the best way to get a job done, but from observing him, it does not look like he means it, he is just use to using those words, so I don't take it personal anymore
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by r231(m): 2:20pm On May 20, 2011
cinzo:

Wait for him at the gate after work and beat his crazy arse!

grin grin grin

he will be locked up till jesus come grin grin
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by vaLasce(m): 2:21pm On May 20, 2011
I'll call him/her an antelop! grin
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by PupetMasta(m): 2:22pm On May 20, 2011
So if  I was in your shoes, I will do the same thing which is do nothing and work hard to become an employer so that I can also tell my employees "you are silly"
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by kemisuga(f): 2:25pm On May 20, 2011
Just learn how to tolerate. No big deal. Its very common, wen u working under someone

1 Like

Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by md4real(m): 2:33pm On May 20, 2011
i suggest you say nothing since obviously, you were wrong and he might be hurt or just trying to show you hes in charge. if you are under paid, stop complaining and leave.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by randyorton: 3:12pm On May 20, 2011
slap the guy and warn him never to misyan again but u sef dull o.why u go dey make mistake.i sure u just dey look all yanshes wey dey ur office.olodo
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Exponental(m): 3:23pm On May 20, 2011
[size=36pt]Same to you! (In silence)[/size]
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by 3kay945(m): 3:55pm On May 20, 2011
just keep mute , saying thank you can also be offensive
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Bestglo(f): 4:33pm On May 20, 2011
I'd insult the hell out of him ( within my mind) and say sorry sir (outwardly)
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by otilowaju(f): 4:45pm On May 20, 2011
Give him a questioning and hard look but keep mute (of course he wouldn't expect me to smile!)
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Akosbaba(m): 5:21pm On May 20, 2011
nothing,except i have another job waiting for me
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Outstrip(f): 5:23pm On May 20, 2011
I will say "your mama" grin grin grin Really though whay sort of boss would call an employee silly.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by ojubi(m): 5:44pm On May 20, 2011
In 2007 and 2008 i was working for a private clinic. I answer yes sir to all the rubish that comes 4rm his mouth. But not now that i work with with a multinational. Not even the italians can sack any employee, the boss knows that so he respect himself.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Outstrip(f): 5:48pm On May 20, 2011
ojubi:

In 2007 and 2008 i was working for a private clinic. I answer yes sir to all the rubish that comes 4rm his mouth. But not now that i work with with a multinational. Not even the italians can sack any employee, the boss knows that so he respect himself.

Geez. This is why I thank God that I did not have to go through work in Nigeria. With my mouth I know I probably would not have been able to hold a job. From the male bosses that will not give you a job if you do not sleep with them to the ones that their will slap you if you do not greet them everytime you see them to the ones that will command the whole office to kneel down, hands up, and close your eyes and the list goes on and on. I would just happily sit at home so that I will not accidentally kill somebody
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by xreal: 6:10pm On May 20, 2011
Outstrip:

Geez. This is why I thank God that I did not have to go through work in Nigeria. With my mouth I know I probably would not have been able to hold a job. From the male bosses that will not give you a job if you do not sleep with them to the ones that their will slap you if you do not greet them everytime you see them to the ones that will command the whole office to kneel down, hands up, and close your eyes and the list goes on and on. I would just happily sit at home so that I will not accidentally kill somebody
hmm!
Exaggeration.
Funny though.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by kokoye(m): 6:11pm On May 20, 2011
big deal.

suck it up and be the best you can be.

Or take it to HR . . just be sure you got no skeleton in your cupboard.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by 7508: 6:14pm On May 20, 2011
i think it ultimately depends on:

context and/or body language: if your boss says "you are silly" in front of other colleagues when some constructive arguments or meetings are going on, it could be interpreted as belittling, berating or not paying attention to your input. did he say it while banging his fist on the table or towering over you in a threatening manner?.

what if you work for an investment bank and because you weren't following up on emails , you lost a million pound portfilio or any other mistake which led to a company loosing a whole lot of money and your reputation (and your boss's because of your mistake) is in tatters, would you accept him calling you silly in a private setting  for instance, and letting you go or saying nothing and subjecting you to a potentially career ending disciplinary process at your workplace?.

Sometimes, humans will be humans and if a boss (even in a malicious manner), calls you silly, its stepping back from it and being able to reconcile with you that wins the day. if he then comes back to you, apologizes, offers to take you under his/her wing and teach you, what do you do then?.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ACCA Students: How Was Your December Diet Results / What Are The Employment Oppurtunities For Biochemists In Nigeria Today ? / What Re The Requirements For Obtaining Citn Certification With Aca Certification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.