Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,830 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, (7252 Views)

Bill Gates Dab In New Photo / Meet The Nigerian Woman That Built 4 Bedroom Flat From Roasted Corn Business / Interesting Facts About Bill Gates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 8:04pm On May 18, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kF3UTxmjuU&playnext=1&list=PL729B060C8893C1BC

Bill Clinton speaks about Philip Emeka Emeagwali invention

Philip Emeagwali (born in 1954) is a Nigerian -born engineer and computer scientist/geologist who was one of two winners of the 1989 Gordon Bell Prize, a prize from the IEEE, for his use of a Connection Machine supercomputer to help analyze petroleum fields.

Emeagwali was born in Akure, Nigeria on 23 August 1954.[1] His early schooling was suspended in 1967 due to the Nigerian-Biafran war. When he turned fourteen, he served in the Biafran army. After the war he completed a high-school equivalency through self-study. He travelled to the United States to study under a scholarship after taking a correspondence course at the University of London.[citation needed] He received a bachelor's degree in mathematics from Oregon State University in 1977. He worked as a civil engineer at the Bureau of Land Reclamation in Wyoming during this period. He later moved to Washington DC, receiving two master's degrees from George Washington University in environmental engineering and marine engineering, as well as a third master's in applied mathematics from the University of Maryland.
Awards

Emeagwali received a $1,000[2] 1989 Gordon Bell Prize, based on an application of the CM-2 massively-parallel computer for oil-reservoir modeling. He won in the "price/performance" category, with a performance figure of 400 Mflops/$1M, corresponding to an absolute performance of 3.1 Gflops. The other recipient of the award, who won in the "peak performance" category for a similar application of the CM-2 to oil-related seismic data processing, actually had a price-performance figure of 500 Mflops/$1M and an absolute performance of 6.0 Gflops, but the judges decided not to award both prizes to the same team.[3][4] Emeagwali's simulation was the first program to apply a pseudo-time approach to reservoir modeling.[5]

[8] Nevertheless, Emeagwali was voted the "35th-greatest African (and greatest African scientist) of all time" in a survey by New African magazine.[9] His achievements were quoted in a speech by Bill Clinton as an example of what Nigerians could achieve when given the opportunity.[10] He is also a frequent feature of Black History Month articles in the popular press.[11][

Emeagwali ™ Voted History's 35th Greatest African (pdf, html)
Inducted into gallery of history's 70 greatest black achievers.
In top 35: Mandela, Nkrumah, Pele, Bob Marley, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King.

Emeagwali's Monday Essays

TIME: The "Unsung Hero" Behind the Internet
"The Web owes much of its existence to Philip Emeagwali" - TIME magazine
"A father of the Internet" - CNN
"One of the great minds of the Information Age" - Bill Clinton (The White House)

BBC Hails Emeagwali as "Digital Giant"

A four-minute excerpt
BBC Digital Giants Philip Emeagwali
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by chino11(m): 9:31pm On May 18, 2011
Great Emeagwali. Onitsha, Anambra state and the world at large is proud of you and your great scientific works
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by RoadStar: 9:57pm On May 18, 2011
Sorry to burst your bubble but it has been established that the guy is a self aggrandizing fraud !
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:06pm On May 18, 2011
It is nice to celebrate excellence and greatness without prejudice or tribalism.  Emeagwali. is an effigy of excellence and a role model to all Africans aspiring to attain great height.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by biglawks(m): 10:21pm On May 18, 2011
Whao, each time see any nigerian doing exploit , i normally thank God for being a NIGERIAN.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by biglawks(m): 10:24pm On May 18, 2011
Whao, each time see any nigerian doing exploit , i normally thank God for being a NIGERIAN.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 8:38am On May 19, 2011
This guy is simply too much and has been making waves for quiet sometime. This is definately the standard
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Plutarch: 8:57am On May 19, 2011
The guy v been found to b an impostor. Am afraid to tell u that d man is a noisy non-entity in d world of computing. I advise u 2 make use of google.
BTW,this is a very old article written b4 he was exposed.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 9:26am On May 19, 2011
haters, and they come in all shapes and sizes. was it before or after he received recognition.

Plutarch:

The guy v been found to b an impostor. Am afraid to tell u that d man is a noisy non-entity in d world of computing. I advise u 2 make use of google.
BTW,this is a very old article written b4 he was exposed.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Plutarch: 9:50am On May 19, 2011
@calc
Young man, there is no need tagging anybody that is not flowing with u a hater. I know what am talkn about n besides am pretty informed in this line from Charles Babbage to Mark Zuckerberg. Emeagwali is a make-believe genius without a constituency in d IT world.
Can u tell me d project he undertook? What does he do 4 a living? Is he a lecturer? Does he belong to d Silicon Valley clique? The man is a mystery.
I understand u 'cos we Nigerians/Blacks r dealing with inferiority complex
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by chino11(m): 9:58am On May 19, 2011
RoadStar:

Sorry to burst your bubble but it has been established that the guy is a self aggrandizing fraud !

You are silly and myopically insane. All your tribes men and women put together cannot equal one Emeagwali. Emeagwali is ahead of your entire tribe put together with by distance from earth to the Sun. Emeagwali is an achiever who continued to do Black race and world at large proud.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by chino11(m): 10:05am On May 19, 2011
Plutarch:

@calc
Young man, there is no need tagging anybody that is not flowing with u a hater. I know what am talkn about n besides am pretty informed in this line from Charles Babbage to Mark Zuckerberg. Emeagwali is a make-believe genius without a constituency in d IT world.
Can u tell me d project he undertook? What does he do 4 a living? Is he a lecturer? Does he belong to d Silicon Valley clique? The man is a mystery.
I understand u 'cos we Nigerians/Blacks r dealing with inferiority complex

Keep deceiving yourself while others are moving forward and your still battling with your do-or-die or is it called wild wild west. Emeagwali is an achiever who won an award that no other African has won since 1989. Your entire Yoruba race will not be able to achieve that feat that is why you blood-suckers are out to run him down. Thank God that great people like Clinton, CNN, BBC has consistently confirmed and recognized Emeagwali. You guys are bunch of baboons in this country. No wonder GEJ called you guys RASCAL. lollolllllllllllllllllll
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 10:37am On May 19, 2011
Rascals, Is not small one if you ask me!! There is such a concentrated effort to destabilizes the South easterners that makes the ku klux klan look like childs play. First, it was confiscating the money south easterners had in their bank accounts after the war, but that did not stop us from rising to the heights that only us can attain in the whole Africa. 

I feel sorry for all these people on Nairaland suffering from inferiority complex. Trying to destabilize a successful people will not help your inefficiency issues because anybody or people dat God has blessed no man can fall.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Plutarch: 8:53pm On May 19, 2011
@calc n chino11,
Its very unfortunate that u turn everything to ethnic bigotry. I DONT DO ETHNIC BASHING. I am NL to enjoy n learn. Nothing i wrote up there suggests ethnic hatred;all that was written is based on available information. If u v a better fact u can educate me.
BTW there is nothing to indicate am frm d west. Bros take it easy.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 10:14pm On May 19, 2011
@Plutarch If you want to be spoken to as an intelligent person then you should base whatever you say on fact and not Disparaging Media Comment published some 21years after credible organizations and not to mention [b]BILL CLINTON [/b]had reviewed and awarded him credit for his ground breaking work. It is very upsetting.

The Sahara reporters you base your comment on are a cow boy network of [b]yoruba Journalist [/b]and hence not credible. Just appreciate that Nigerians as a whole from north to South, east to west have been endowed with the gift of Excellence. 

How can they refute claim, when Emeagwali did not claim or grant himself any award. Do you now see how daft your earlier statement might have come across, because of the source you subscribe to. Learn if you can.

A news editorial published on October 18, 2010 by Sahara Reporters, a news agency, refuted all claims by Philip Emeagwali to his claimed success. The newspaper gave evidential and incisive details as to why he could never have achieved all self-described feats, including being the 'Father of the Internet'[14]

Plutarch:

@calc n chino11,
Its very unfortunate that u turn everything to ethnic bigotry. I DONT DO ETHNIC BASHING. I am NL to enjoy n learn. Nothing i wrote up there suggests ethnic hatred;all that was written is based on available information. If u v a better fact u can educate me.
BTW there is nothing to indicate am frm d west. Bros take it easy.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by dayokanu(m): 10:25pm On May 19, 2011
This emeagwali topic again?
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 10:29pm On May 19, 2011
Haters! Go and hang!!
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Nobody: 1:04am On May 20, 2011
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by EzeUche2(m): 1:08am On May 20, 2011
It is sad that he is widely respected everywhere else in the world, but not in his home country of Nigeria. The man has been invited to the White House by various U.S. presidents to have dinner, he has been interviewed by BBC in how to move Africa forward, but it is Nigerians who trying to drag this man's name through the mud.

Shame on you all. I will continue to support this man and his achievements.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by aljharem3: 1:55am On May 20, 2011
Calculia:

@Plutarch If you want to be spoken to as an intelligent person then you should base whatever you say on fact and not Disparaging Media Comment published some 21years after credible organizations and not to mention [b]BILL CLINTON [/b]had reviewed and awarded him credit for his ground breaking work. It is very upsetting.

The Sahara reporters you base your comment on are a cow boy network of [b]yoruba Journalist [/b]and hence not credible. Just appreciate that Nigerians as a whole from north to South, east to west have been endowed with the gift of Excellence. 

How can they refute claim, when Emeagwali did not claim or grant himself any award. Do you now see how daft your earlier statement might have come across, because of the source you subscribe to. Learn if you can.

i think u are a bit silly

philph emeaguali is yoruba and not igbo

[b]I am a Yoruba by birth (born in Akure, western region) and Igbo by heritage. As a native Onitsha Igbo, I trace my ancestry to Eze Chima, a prince who rebelled against the Benin royal dynasty and emigrated from the kingdom. Other Igbos that trace their lineage to Eze Chima include Onicha-Ukwu, Onicha-Olona, Onicha-Ugbo, Obior, Issele-Ukwu, Issele-Mkpima, Issele-Azagba, Ezi, Abeh and Obamkpa.

Native Onitshans speak a dialect of the Igbo language with several Benin/Yoruba words such as "Obi" (of Onitsha) and "Oba" (of Benin). In fact, the word Onitsha (Onicha) is a corruption of the god "Orisha." The bini name for River Niger is Ohinmwin. The Onicha Igbo call it "Orinmili." In a few years, we will have DNA tests that proves (or disproves) the Onitsha-Benin-Yoruba connection.

In fact, a lost dialect of the Yoruba language, called Olukwumu, is spoken in Brazil and in a few Igbo communities named Anioma, Idumu-Ogu, Ubulubu, Ugboba, Ugbodu, and Ukwunzu (M. A. Onwuejeogwu, 1987 Ahiajoku Lecture). The absence Olukwumu in core Yoruba land proves that these communities are the Lost Yoruba Tribe that were fleeing from slave raiders.[/b]

http://emeagwali.com/photos/yoruba/photo-essay-on-yoruba.html

you iddeeiot
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by aljharem3: 1:56am On May 20, 2011
emeaguali said he is not igbo but yoruba

no one want to be related you u people

get it into your thick nyamaria water begging skull ok angry
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 2:04am On May 20, 2011
LOL! Emeaguali now sounds like your fathers name or it is the Emeka dat is your brothers name. Pls relax,  Yorubas have become very nasty bunch of idiots ever since the Hausa's were kind enough to make OBJ president after years of Obas and alj like yourselves begging. First you discredit his work because he is igbo and wen dat doesn't work u try to claim him,  calm down people.

alj_harem:

emeaguali said he is not igbo but yoruba

no one want to be related you u people

get it into your thick nyamaria water begging skull ok angry
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 3:01am On May 20, 2011
The greatest technocrat Africans can be proud of. Yorubas, hausas, edo, ibibio, ijaw, tiv and of course igbos.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by ezeagu(m): 3:03am On May 20, 2011
None sense, is it not spare parts he used to create his computers? undecided What did he even study?

[center][size=18pt]I have enough accomplishment in my life to talk down Emeagwali.[/size] undecided[/center]
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by aljharem3: 3:07am On May 20, 2011
Calculia:

LOL! Emeaguali now sounds like your fathers name or it is the Emeka dat is your brothers name. Pls relax,  Yorubas have become very nasty bunch of idiots ever since the Hausa's were kind enough to make OBJ president after years of Obas and alj like yourselves begging. First you discredit his work because he is igbo and wen dat doesn't work u try to claim him,  calm down people.

i think he made it clear he is yoruba and not igbo but acknowleges his igbo heritage undecided

even if his name is okoro or okafor

once he is a great public figure and claim something which u are not against then u are that ethnic group

do nt be a bigot as emeaguali has adoped his ethnic group

u can do the same, i think they would accept u undecided
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 3:17am On May 20, 2011
lollz! Ezeague i suggest you find some water and drink, you really must be intoxicated because that is the most ridiculous statement i have ever heard. I sure say you never fit tie your shoe lace let alone fit answer one plus one.

A baby must first crawl before it learns to walk.

ezeagu:

None sense, is it not spare parts he used to create his computers? undecided What did he even study?

[center][size=18pt]I have enough accomplishment in my life to talk down Emeagwali.[/size] undecided[/center]

And as for you alj harem, i pity you because fame and glory are your Hercules heel and dat is how i know your yoruba.

alj_harem:

i think he made it clear he is yoruba and not igbo but acknowleges his igbo heritage undecided

even if his name is okoro or okafor

once he is a great public figure and claim something which u are not against then u are that ethnic group

do nt be a bigot as emeaguali has adoped his ethnic group

u can do the same, i think they would accept u undecided
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by kandiikane(m): 3:18am On May 20, 2011
If he is who he says he is(looking at the people who say he is an imposter) what has he done for Nigeria?

Is he living in Nigeria or the states?

Is he just another African engineer/computer scientist/geologist lost in the western world?
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by ektbear: 3:37am On May 20, 2011
Err. . . . undecided

I don't think it is good to celebrate people like this
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 3:40am On May 20, 2011
Have you finished celebrating fela kuti. This man contribution is valid and i belief in giving credit to whom credit is due.

ekt_bear:

Err. . . . undecided

I don't think it is good to celebrate people like this
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by ektbear: 3:46am On May 20, 2011
Calculia:

Have you finished celebrating fela kuti. This man contribution is valid and i belief in giving credit to whom credit is due.

http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/cezeilo/2003nov09.html

It makes us look bad to celebrate fakes. There are plenty of genuinely talent achievers, no reason to celebrate fraudsters.
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by Calculia: 3:50am On May 20, 2011
@ Alj Harem,

Only in your fantasy are the igbo's denouncing their heritage because that is wat matters most not were you are born. Not many today are exactly born in thier own village and that statistics includes you.

I am glade you acknowledged his igbo heritage because that says it all 'glory theives'
Re: The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, by kandiikane(m): 3:53am On May 20, 2011
Noone has answer my question? So, I will guess that this man has not done anything for Nigeria.
Why celebrate him?

(1) (2) (Reply)

THE BEST DAILY 2odd Around(sports Trading) / Complete Affiliate Marketing Training: $100/day With Clickbank, Warriorplus,... / Dangote To Commence Operations In Fertiliser Plant In First Quarter 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.