Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:26 PM

Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour (1432 Views)

Do U Ask God For Forgiveness After Sinning In The Dream? / Why Is Necrophilia Immoral ? / Is It Immoral For Christian Women To Wear Thong Underwear? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by entwine(f): 6:35am On Jul 20, 2007
Is it possible to be forgiven when you have committed immoral acts, but cant help feeling you want to continue doing so
Re: Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by Papa(m): 11:14pm On Aug 01, 2007
Emphatically yes!

You " . . . feeling you want to continue. . ." not ". . .wanting to continue. . ." because that's where repentance comes in, you have to stop wanting to continue.

Anyway, there is a way to stop both longings and that's by washing your mind with soap (more refined: renewing your mind.) How? By studying the word of God, not READING the bible. Your got to read with direction and desire. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to receive the truth. And don't start from some funny scriptures, start from the life, walk and work of Jesus. Ok!
Re: Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by jesuspikin(m): 8:16pm On Aug 04, 2007
entwine:

Is it possible to be forgiven when you have committed immoral acts, but can't help feeling you want to continue doing so

before my encounter with the holy spirit, i was exactly in the realm of fleshly desires , Indecency, adultry,and so many other immoral acts and i wanted to stop because i always feel emptyand fears but discovered i couldnt stop and i became vulnurable and helpless until the holy spirit came and made me feel the stinking nature of all those immoral acts now i can feel the rightoustness that is in christ jesus and the holiness of God the father .so my brother seek and eanestly desire tthe infilling of the holy spirit for he is your helper
Re: Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by pilgrim1(f): 8:10pm On Aug 05, 2007
Depends on the person in question is setting his or her mind on.

Gal. 6:8
"For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting."
Re: Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by doyenn(m): 2:14pm On Aug 06, 2007
It's possible to be forgiven after you committed the greatest sin.The only thing is you must seek forgiveness with all ur heart and show that it's really not intention or it's unavoidable for you.You must not joke with it or even mock God.
Re: Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by Papa(m): 5:16pm On Aug 06, 2007
doyenn:

It's possible to be forgiven after you committed the greatest sin.The only thing is you must seek forgiveness with all your heart and show that it's really not intention or it's unavoidable for you.You must not joke with it or even mock God.
@doyenn your post is good and healthy. May I just say something about SEEKING forgiveness!

With God, there's no need to seek forgiveness. In fact the bible doesn't say ask or seek; The bible says TAKE IT!!! Hebrews 4:16

. . .Why. . .?

because ". . .God so love[s] the world. . .". He's more willing to forgive than you are willing to obtain mercy. So He put out His forgiveness and says "come, take!" So when you sin, obtain mercy, because it's been given already! He's given us ". . .all things that pertain to life and godliness."
It's only hard to come to terms with this due to unbelief - See Romans 11:30
Colossians 1:14 doesn't say we ask, it says we HAVE (as our own) forgiveness - That's only because it's been given.
1 John 2:12 says "I write unto you, little children, because your sins ARE FORGIVEN you for his name's sake."
Re: Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by capricon: 11:57pm On Aug 06, 2007
Entwine
It is only you who can forgive yourself through the law s of nature which is not in anyway partial but "universal"

You must be really remorseful about your act to lessen your karma but you must be punished anyway!(Out of your

own doing Not God). If you sin and ask for forgiveness continually you will not be forgiven but only increase the

burden of karma upon yourself. Remember whatsoever a man soweth he must reap!
Re: Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by pilgrim1(f): 4:29pm On Aug 08, 2007
doyenn:

It's possible to be forgiven after you committed the greatest sin.

@doyenn,

It all depends on what you mean by "the greatest sin". I'm not so sure that shirk in Islam could be forgiven - some Islamic scholars say it could be forgiven; others say it could NEVER be forgiven.

However, in Christianity, the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is a sin that has no forgiveness:

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men." (Matt. 12:31).
Re: Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by pilgrim1(f): 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2007
@Papa,

I commend your effort to encourage others and share the goodness. However, I'd rather encourage you to share what exactly is in the Word of God, so that people don't go away with misplaced beliefs.

Papa:

With God, there's no need to seek forgiveness. In fact the bible doesn't say ask or seek; The bible says TAKE IT!!! Hebrews 4:16

This is sadly sending the wrong message to seeking souls. The Bible didn't say "TAKE IT" in your referencing Heb. 4:16, for this is what it states:

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."

How does someone "obtain" mercy and "find" grace if he/she has not first been asking and seeking? In Matt. 7:7 & 8, the Lord Jesus Christ said "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." As you don't expect to "receive" without first "asking", so you don't expect to "FIND" without first "SEEKING".

James 4:2 also warns that "ye have not, because ye ask not". If anyone is going to 'have', 'obtain', or 'receive' anything from God, such a person must first come "ASKING" and "SEEKING" before they can hope to "take it".

The idea that "with God, there's no need to seek forgiveness" is simply wrong and does not derive from the WORD of God. Perhaps you had forgotten indeed that, in teaching the disciples how to pray, the Lord Jesus Himself taught us to seek God's forgiveness. Do the words in Matt. 6:12 not point to seeking forgivess when we pray: 'And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors'? Yes, we're encouraged to ask and seek so that we may find and obtain.

Papa:

because ". . .God so love[s] the world. . .". He's more willing to forgive than you are willing to obtain mercy. So He put out His forgiveness and says "come, take!" So when you sin, obtain mercy, because it's been given already! He's given us ". . .all things that pertain to life and godliness."
It's only hard to come to terms with this due to unbelief - See Romans 11:30

It simply doesn't add up. God's offer of anything to anyone is made on the seeker's "asking" to "receive", or "seeking" to "find/obtain". Until a person actually asks and seeks, he/she cannot obtain - that is the clear message of Jesus: ". . . how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" (Matt. 7:11).

Papa:

Colossians 1:14 doesn't say we ask, it says we HAVE (as our own) forgiveness - That's only because it's been given.

That text was written to those who already have first 'ASKED' before they received (see Col. 1:21 - they were formerly 'alienated' and 'enemies' in mind by wicked works). You cannot be given something in this regard until you first have 'asked' for it.

Papa:

1 John 2:12 says "I write unto you, little children, because your sins ARE FORGIVEN you for his name's sake."

The 'little children' have received forgiveness of sins - because they first asked for it. They didn't just 'obtain' without first having asked it of the Father (Matt. 7:11 - "them that ask Him"wink. People should be encouraged with the clear message of the WORD in all things - and in this case, God is willing to give all good things (including forgiveness) to those who ask Him.
Re: Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by pilgrim1(f): 4:54pm On Aug 08, 2007
@capricon,

capricon:

It is only you who can forgive yourself through the law s of nature which is not in anyway partial but "universal"

What are those "laws of nature" by which one who has sinned can 'only' forgive himself/herself? Since you are persuaded that 'it is only' you who can forgive yourself' thereby, what have you done with the forgiveness which comes from God?

capricon:

You must be really remorseful about your act to lessen your karma but you must beĀ  punished anyway!(Out of your own doing Not God).

Isn't that quite sad? If I "must be really remorseful" and expect at the same time that I "must be punished anyway", what is the whole point of trying to 'lessen' one's karma? That's like taking 'meaning' out of the whole exercise, and thereby arriving at nothing afterall.

capricon:

If you sin and ask for forgiveness continually you will not be forgiven but only increase the burden of karma upon yourself. Remember whatsoever a man soweth he must reap!

The plot thickens! On the one hand, one would still be punished anyway even after being remorseful; and on the other hand, asking for forgiveness (even if 'continually') yields no results but only 'increases' the burden of the same karma that the seeker tries to 'lessen' in the first place! Grand!

At the end of the day, when one sins, there's no need asking for forgivessness (since it would not be granted); and even 'asking' in the first place increases the burden - which means. . . you're neither here nor there, and you must be resolved to live with the encumberance of that quagmire! undecided
Re: Forgiveness After Immoral Behaviour by emmyileri(m): 6:32pm On Nov 09, 2021

(1) (Reply)

Seun Plz. Create A Forum For The Atheist / Eckanker / Imo Catholic Diocese Boils Over Appointment Of Bishop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.