Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Catfish Farming: My Story - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming: My Story (203187 Views)

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Re: Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catfish Farming: My Story by aquatic1(m): 2:46pm On May 22, 2011
Be very patience in reading this

I started fish farming business some years ago, and am proud of myself and my farm, am still in the business and am really doing great, and am making my money as expected.

MY STORY

I visited a fish farm at alagbado area of Lagos state Nigeria, so few years back, where i discover that the man that owns the farm feed is fish from juvenile to standard table size with local feeds, he feed them 4times a day and in 6 to 7 months he harvest nothing less than 1kg to 2kg, what surprise me is that he use local feed all-through, which i confirm from some of his staff and i was so shock, because its hard for catfish farmers to use local feed although without using the foreign feed for some months, i consult the man to give me the formula he use, but he said no, this make me to sit down, think and do some more research on how to minimize feeding cost in Nigeria catfish farming since it take up to 70% of the investment.

MY DISCOVERY

I started by stocking 1000pcs of post fingerlings in a 15ft by 7ft by 4ft concrete pond, i feed the fish with coppens, twice a day, and they eat 4bags in the first month, which i weigh them and see they are 150 - 200grams, i was happy my idea is working, so i put more effort, the second month, i feed them with 6bags and the 3rd and 4th month i spent 27,000 in  milling local feed for them, when i get to sell them, i see 1kg to 1.3kg at the 4th month, i was very happy that i got the idea, this apply to my fingerlings production too, i get 0.5 to 1.5gram of fish at 3weeks, and i feed them twice a day.

MY ARITHMETIC

Calculation for the feeding of the 1000pcs of fish is 73,000. Some catfish farmers believe fish should be feed a #120 feed to attain 1kg, and some say a 1kg feed equals to 1kg fish. Assuming you are using foreign feed which is sold for #300, that means you will spend #300,000 in feeding 1000pcs of fish and your turn over will be #420,000, u will also calculate other things the fish money, the fuel e.t.c or you are using the local feed which sell for #170 that means you will spend #170,000, or you follow the saying of @120 equals to 1kg, that means you will spend #120,000 in feeding 1000pcs of fish, but i spend #70 on each fish which make #70,000 on the total fish and i sold all the fish for #469,830, which make me make more than what i expect as profit, and i spend less.

MY SECRET

I started then as an experiment, now that's the method i use always, and i still achieve my aim.
The secret behind my success is that

1: I stock my own fish, which i know the source
2: I specify a permanent time of feeding my fish, i choose to feed them 7am in the morning and 7pm at night
3: I change the water every 3days, and i clean the pond always
4: I sort the fish every month
5: The most successful part is that i don't vaccine my fish, i really thanks GOD for that
6: I check them regularly to know their behavior
7: after the first two month, i switch to local feed, and i give them the right mixture, this is the money important of all, because all the ingredient must me accurate, it must not be too much and too less, because the fish will just be eating if for hungry sake, its like putting too much salt in rice or beans.

for any question
for good local feed formula
good health and fast growing catfish fingerlings, post fingerlings, juvenile
for consultancy in your farm

contact ARARAT NIGERIA ENTERPRISES
@ 35 olufemi street ikola ilumo ipaja Lagos state
or call 07089391123, 08053018934
or araratnigeria@gmail.com
or check www.araratnigeria..com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by digi101(m): 4:34am On Jul 14, 2011
Bros with such a wonderful writeup i was actually expecting to see your local feed formulation posted grin

12 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by aquatic1(m): 7:36pm On Jul 14, 2011
Am not giving it out free, unless I consult for you.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Nobody: 10:22am On Jul 15, 2011
Another useless information marketer, I know you have no farm and you only intend to make money from consulting on a topic you know only in theory.

Keep your useless secret to your useless self

31 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by missuzoma: 11:18am On Jul 15, 2011
You guys like free stuff too much. De man said you should pay so de money or no info. He must have wasted a lot of money before arriving at a good formulation. Let him recover part of his money. Is that too much to ask?

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by honeric01(m): 11:49am On Jul 15, 2011
blink182:

Another useless information marketer, I know you have no farm and you only intend to make money from consulting on a topic you know only in theory.

Keep your useless secret to your useless self

Do you live in a free apartment too? grin

3 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 15, 2011
missuzoma:

You guys like free stuff too much. De man said you should pay so de money or no info. He must have wasted a lot of money before arriving at a good formulation. Let him recover part of his money. Is that too much to ask?
True talk bro but this guy too de urge for money and na broke ass de behave like that. I believe he has nothing.

honeric01:

Do you live in a free apartment too? grin
No o grin

2 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by digi101(m): 3:05pm On Jul 17, 2011
Well @ poster am actually already doing the same experiment you did, and thanks to GOOGLE am sure i should end up were you did grin; By the way do people actually pay for the information you sell rather than just google it undecided.
Just curious o

8 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by aquatic1(m): 8:14pm On Jul 18, 2011
@blink if U̶̲̥̅̊ can't pay, i didn't force Ʊ to pay, atleast Ʊ can search online check online,or U̶̲̥̅̊ can work out for ur own experiment,  told U̶̲̥̅̊ to visit ♍Ɣ farm if U̶̲̥̅̊ care, so if Ʊ said  don't have Α̲̅ farm, that's your probs dk. @missuzoma, thanks for your comment.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 19, 2011
I beg let us hear, no be only experiment na scientific enquiry grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by fm7070: 6:25pm On Nov 30, 2011
@aquatic1
, it is easier said than done.
What size of feed (4bags) did u used in feeding 1k fish? Definitely not 0.8-1.2mm.
And you cannot use 2mm feed for a 3wk old fish.
That makes me doubt the credibility of your report.
Don't just post anything cos you want people to buy your report.
Anyway, U can explain yourself for us to clarify

2 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by adamawa: 8:02pm On Nov 30, 2011
This Acquatic guy is a 419. He should not be trusted. The guy is out to dupe unsuspected fish farmers by promising to sell formula. His formular can never raise 500g. Please RUN AWAY from him. I will post his feed formula if he makes noise on this again

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Nobody: 9:39pm On Nov 30, 2011
adamawa:

This Acquatic guy is a 419. He should not be trusted. The guy is out to dupe unsuspected fish farmers by promising to sell formula. His formular can never raise 500g. Please RUN AWAY from him. I will post his feed formula if he makes noise on this again
Common sense should tell anyone †ђξ guy is a fraud.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by digi101(m): 11:39am On Dec 01, 2011
well u'd suprised how uncommon common sense is undecided

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by JUSTME2SY: 9:29pm On Dec 03, 2011
From his timing of feeding at 7am and 7pm,he is a fraud.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by jamace(m): 9:39pm On Dec 03, 2011
Na wa o. shocked shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by bily(m): 1:11pm On Dec 04, 2011
been engaged in fish farming for years, d info the OP posted get some serious k-legs.
u patronize him @ your own risk

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by fm7070: 10:16am On Dec 05, 2011
If you really want to do fish farming successfully, start small. You will learn many things as you try different strategies.
There are possibilities, but do not always believe cock and bull stories.
That's the way I've learnt and I never regret. Like the saying of our fathers:
"Experience is the best teacher"

4 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by santuse: 4:04pm On Dec 06, 2011
I was wondering how he is gonna feed fingerlings only two time a day and drain the water after 3 days upon that no vaccination that poor water mgt.
Well i rest my case.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by efe22(m): 10:01pm On Dec 16, 2011
@Adamawa, abeg post d info. Thank u.

Catfish is a real capital demanding, guys don't be fool by pips trying to pose as if d thing na child play. To raise 200 fingerlings to market size is about 120k to 140k. Be careful guz

2 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by seun70(m): 8:27am On Dec 17, 2011
Hi y'all,

I am looking for a SERIOUS and KNOWLEDGEABLE consultant on fish farming (catfish). I have four plots of land somewhere in Ota (ogun state) I would like to use for this project. I do not have an idea about it but would like to learn.

Full detail would be provided.

I may be contacted on 08023461492.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by billyG(m): 2:22pm On Dec 18, 2011
My frd u are standing the true upsidedwn yu can feed fingerlings twice a day & get 1.5kg in 3weeks yu cant i have feed fingerlings 4x aday and didnt get such result,u said yu use only 70k local feed to get 4kg in 4months wich is unrealistic considering the price of dannish fish meal in the mkt ,even local fish meal is costly and full of more fishbones,1kg feeds cannot produce 1 kg fish it is all theory no fool will consult yu ist post yur formula for analysis even if it is in % as coppens does
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by fm7070: 7:39pm On Dec 19, 2011
@efe22

Catfish is a real capital demanding, guys don't be fool by pips trying to pose as if d thing na child play. To raise 200 fingerlings to market size is about 120k to 140k. Be careful guz
[quote][/quote]

I adopt the fact that catfish is capital demanding. But you don't even need up to 100k to raise 200 fingerlings up to 1.5KG
Or, are you trying to say 2000 figerlings?

3 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by mroluway: 5:36pm On Dec 27, 2011
I've been following this for a while and i never knew people will see it from the Angle I'm also looking at it , I was about to call this Poster when i first read the Post but i don't just feel like despite the Fact that i know personally that it a big LIE, Actually, I don't really know how much its will cost to raise 1000 pieces of Catfish But I'm having 1000 pieces right now.i stock them on the 26th of November 2011, so as I'm writing right now, they are a month Old yesterday and all i noticed was that they Have Consumed 3 Bags Of 3mm Coppens throughout the first Month. I just opened up the Forth and 5th Bag , I sorted them into 500 /500 in 2 ponds and the first 500 are about to start eating 4mm Today while the other 500 in the Second Pond have Started eating 6mm Yesterday. I'm very Happy to see them Growing Faster than i think. I haven't weigh them Yet. but they are Getting Bigger. The Coppens Cost me 4900 per-bag, I don't know about the Cost in other location cos my Farm is in my House ( AKUTE, OLAMBE) Then i Feed them 3 Times in a Day. So if anyone want any details , U are free to ask me here , I dont have anything to Sell to anyone, Just need to let people my Progress. And www.Nairaland.com has been really helping me so far. I THANK GOD

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by fm7070: 7:40pm On Dec 27, 2011
@mr_oluway
how old were your fishes when u bought them? As fungerlings or Juvenile
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by DAPMAN601: 2:40pm On Dec 28, 2011
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by mroluway: 12:00pm On Jan 04, 2012
@fm7070, Sorry for the late response, my Multilinks Connection Expired. I just Loaded it today. Well, Concerning the Question you Asked, I cant really say the actual Weeks cos i didn't meet the seller of the fingerlings at home when i bought them. they helped him to sell it to me. But its a Fingerlings because i can Hatch myself but i just don't feel like Hatching since i have a Target to sell by April / May 2012 so that i can stock another fingerlings against December 2012 and it can be 2 avest in a Year, I bought them 12 naira eash
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 5:16pm On Jan 04, 2012
If you know of any pond that could contain like 10,000 fishes please lemme know if it is for rent . . . . conditions could be discussed here or offline
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by saintolu(m): 8:35pm On Jan 04, 2012
@mr oluway, I appreciate your sincere disposition. I reside in Akute too, Baale precisely. Im about stocking as a first timer in d biz, got tired of poultry farming. could u give me ur contact preferably ur phone no. Mine is 08032170495. Thanks!
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 8:53pm On Jan 04, 2012
saintolu:

@mr oluway, I appreciate your sincere disposition. I reside in Akute too, Baale precisely. Im about stocking as a first timer in d biz, got tired of poultry farming. could u give me your contact preferably your phone no. Mine is 08032170495. Thanks!

What is the capacity of your pond and was it rented or constructed by you?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by igbonla(m): 1:58am On Jan 05, 2012
Fhemmmy:

If you know of any pond that could contain like 10,000 fishes please lemme know if it is for rent . . . . conditions could be discussed here or offline

Earthen pond or block construction?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.