Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! (79397 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 11:40am On Jun 23, 2011
chamotex:

Amodu Shuaibu would win the Portuguese league with the resources/power they have over there.
He already said he's targeting all FOUR trophies . . . so lets wait and see.

how is this for a scouting report from villas-boas? http://www.bragafut.com/artigos/art18.pdf

now compare that to this. . . . . grin cheesy grin
he makes paul ince look like a twunt!

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 12:15pm On Jun 23, 2011
@Chamotex.

This is where you know you are on about nothing.
First, I am yet to find a Chelsea fan who has said he will replicate his success here.
I am yet to see a Chelsea who doesn't believe he will have a mountain to climb. I am yet to find one who thinks it is not a difficult job. The fact that you keep stressing it when no one has mentioned it is indicative of anything but rational argument.

chamotex:

He already said he's targeting all FOUR trophies . . . so lets wait and see.

Is there anything wrong with the statement above? What's wrong with "targeting" four trophies. Fergie, Wenger, Mancini will all say the same. More so a new man in a new job. He has not said he[b] "will win"[/b] them. So why stress it?

chamotex:

Obviously he is a good coach . . . no doubt. But believing the fact that because he worked under JM, he will achieve the same height as him is ridiculous to say the least.

Can you find a quote of anyone that has suggested this? You probably won't find one. It's all a figment of your imagination.

My point is. If no one is getting excited over him yet, why the insistence on how weak the Portuguese is? Most football watching fan know this already. What's your point?

chamotex:

grin grin
Good achievement - Porto are the kings of Portuguese football. Its very possible they will win the league again next season with their new manager.
And I'd like to think you are not comparing the EPL to the Portuguese league.

You know the Europa Cup is not the Portuguese league right?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 12:16pm On Jun 23, 2011
coogar:

how is this for a scouting report from villas-boas? http://www.bragafut.com/artigos/art18.pdf

I see you are sniffing around a lot.  grin
I saw this doc in 07 and saved in my Chelsea folder.
I was amazed.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 12:22pm On Jun 23, 2011
nateevs:

I see you are sniffing around a lot.  grin
I saw this doc in 07 and saved in my Chelsea folder.
I was amazed.

sniffing around ke. . . . i am a football guy, i read everything about football. i know a lot more about chelsea than any of you rent boys(ibime, you, akolawole, jalether, etc). grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 12:24pm On Jun 23, 2011
coogar:

sniffing around ke. . . . i am a football guy, i read everything about football. i know a lot more about chelsea than any of you rogues(ibime, you, akolawole, etc).

You wish mate!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 12:27pm On Jun 23, 2011
nateevs:

You wish mate!

no comment! the fact that i don't support chelsea does not mean i dunno more about it than the fans supporting them.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 12:40pm On Jun 23, 2011
coogar:

no comment! the fact that i don't support chelsea does not mean i dunno more about it than the fans supporting them.

You may. I'm just being me. No one has monopoly of knowledge.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 12:44pm On Jun 23, 2011
nateevs:

You may. I'm just being me. No one has monopoly of knowledge.

so let's discuss like football geeks now. . . .

who is chelsea bringing in? will falcao and moutinho join chelsea now? if they do. . . .what then happens to torres, drogba, kalou, mikel, etc?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 12:58pm On Jun 23, 2011
coogar:

so let's discuss like football geeks now. . . .

who is chelsea bringing in? will falcao and moutinho join chelsea now? if they do. . . .what then happens to torres, drogba, kalou, mikel, etc?

I think the Moutinho thing is all rumours. If anything at all, it is Falcao. And that's because he made a public announcement that he's changing his agent to the famous Jorge Mendez - Jose and AVB's agent. That indicates something is brewing.

AVB has to be intelligent with his attacking options. There's nothing to suggest Torres will hit form. And Drogba may go down hill or they may fall out. Neymar may not join. Therefore, if his attacking options now rest on Anelka and Kalou, it means he'll be out of Chelsea before we know it. That's one other reason I believe Falcao will join.

The other problem is what to do with the supposed agreed deal for Lukaku and De Bryune. Chelsea want to keep Lukaku and loan out De Bryune to Anderlecht. I think it should be the other way round. 

The most exciting transfer link for me so far is Thiago Alcantara. I am really praying Fab to Barca materializes. I read quote from his Dad yesterday saying the Chelsea offer is the best they've received. Thiago himself says he sees himself at Chelsea. That the playing style suites him. . . (I honestly did not know what he was talking about!)

Mikel ain't going nowhere. I have this strange belief that Malouda, Drogba and Anelka will all leave to pave way for new guys. Controversial decision! I have nothing against it.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 1:35pm On Jun 23, 2011
in total, how many strikers and midfielders will chelsea have.

strikers
drogba
anelka
torres
kalou
sturridge

neymar
falcao
lukaku

midfielders
malouda
mikel
essien
ramirez
zhirkov
lampard

thiago
de bryune

are you guys aware of the 25-man squad?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 1:37pm On Jun 23, 2011
Chelsea's Lucaz Piazon is currently with the Brazilian team at the U-17 world Cup.
For those who don't know what he's about. Here's a video of what type of player he could grow up into.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/embed/vlSY7lQHWkU=1"[/flash]
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 1:45pm On Jun 23, 2011
coogar:

in total, how many strikers and midfielders will chelsea have.
are you guys aware of the 25-man squad?

You have not even added the possibility of Modric. Then there's Kakuta, McEachran and Lucaz Piazon to register in January 2012. and that's 20 already.

Then we have in defence Ivanovic, JT, Luiz, Alex, Cole, Bertrand, Ferriera, and goalies, Cech, Hilario, Turnbull.

31 players in all.

The season is going to be about how many players will leave. I don't know AVB's plans but I am guessing Josh, Kakuta, Bertrand and Sturridge may go on loan.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 1:53pm On Jun 23, 2011
nateevs:

The season is going to be about how many players will leave. I don't know AVB's plans but I am guessing Josh, Kakuta, Bertrand and Sturridge may go on loan.

what an interesting summer this is turning out to be.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by chamotex(m): 4:40pm On Jun 23, 2011
@Lateef

No one is disputing the fact that he's a good manager but y'all should expect too much from him and think he'll perform miracles.
Cos he learnt from Jose doesn't mean he'll be as good as him, on the other hand he could also be better, with time.

Europa League? Like seriously? Lmao

@coogar
That gif of Paul Ince is just jokes, no wonder he was dacked less than 6 months into the job. Lol
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by FBS: 7:33pm On Jun 23, 2011
chamotex:

@Lateef

No one is disputing the fact that he's a good manager but y'all should expect too much from him and think he'll perform miracles.
Cos he learnt from Jose doesn't mean he'll be as good as him
, on the other hand he could also be better, with time.

Europa League? Like seriously? Lmao

@coogar
That gif of Paul Ince is just jokes, no wonder he was dacked less than 6 months into the job. Lol
can someone tell this boy to shut-up? can you find a quote where anyone mentioned all that you posted?
He learnt from Jose - FACT
He is a good coach and very much a man of his own. . .one of the youngest and brightest in the world now - FACT!
So what is your problem?

when will pre-season start?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by debosky(m): 8:00pm On Jun 23, 2011
nateevs:

The most exciting transfer link for me so far is Thiago Alcantara. I am really praying Fab to Barca materializes. I read quote from his Dad yesterday saying the Chelsea offer is the best they've received. Thiago himself says he sees himself at Chelsea. That the playing style suites him. . . (I honestly did not know what he was talking about!)

Dream on dude, dream on. . . .there's virtually no chance of getting Alcantara if Cesc moves, because he is the makeweight to Arsenal to cover the transfer cost if the deal does go ahead.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by ritchboy(m): 10:53pm On Jun 23, 2011
Neymar agrees six-year contract with Real - Marca
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by chamotex(m): 12:43am On Jun 24, 2011
FBS:

can someone tell this boy to shut-up? can you find a quote where anyone mentioned all that you posted?
He is a good coach and very much a man of his own. . .one of the youngest and brightest in the world now - FACT!
So what is your problem?

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 12:59am On Jun 24, 2011
FBS:

So what is your problem?

Abi? He is sayin the exact same things I asked him not to.
Where has he found someone who is already expecting too much?
What is the need to say it when there isn't any reason?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 1:13am On Jun 24, 2011
ritchboy:

Neymar agrees six-year contract with Real - Marca

Ogbeni stop spreading fake news!.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by dyabman(m): 3:45am On Jun 24, 2011
^^^^
you scared? grin Neymar would join chelsea but not this season , maybe January . . . Drogba, Malouda , Anelka should go . . AVB plays 4-3-3 formation , is anyone talking about a winger?? what is Emenalo doing now?

Jackal and Nateevs talking football as brothers , wonders lipsrsealed
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by FBS: 6:57am On Jun 24, 2011
nateevs:

Abi? He is sayin the exact same things I asked him not to.
Where has he found someone who is already expecting too much?
What is the need to say it when there isn't any reason?
I just don't know jare. Talk of posting for the sake of it. cheesy

Meanwhile, what we gonna do with Falcao (if he comes), FT, DD, Nic, Kalou, Lukaku (if he comes)? No be overload be that?
Then have we still roaming around for a playmaker? Mr Modric is NOT coming.
Abeg make pre-season start jare and lets see how things roll.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 11:23am On Jun 24, 2011
dyabman:

^^^^Jackal and Nateevs talking football as brothers , wonders lipsrsealed

He was in a good mood then. Please don't confuse that moment-in-time benevolence to any sort of humane characteristics in Chac. When he slips into the next gear, he has no brothers. . .  grin grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by usbcable(m): 5:54pm On Jun 24, 2011
FBS:

Meanwhile, what we gonna do with Falcao (if he comes), FT, DD, Nic, Kalou, Lukaku (if he comes)? No be overload be that?
thats why a club sells players so as to be able to buy another
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by debosky(m): 12:13am On Jun 26, 2011
FBS:

The likely result is losing money offloading players for less than they are worth, or loaning them out to trim the squad to the 25 player limit.

Liverpool is likely going to be in a similar position with their midfielders.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 1:09pm On Jun 26, 2011
AVB has told the club he would not be needing the services of Paul Clement, Bryan English and Glen Driscoll. I feel sorry for Paul but decisions have to be made.

A few reports stating we are now in the race for Sanchez. The Barca move has broken down, City have offered 40m but Sanchez is quoted as preferring Chelsea with a 36m bid in the pipeline.

Abola are reporting it's only a matter of hours before Falcao completes a move to Chelsea.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by mykali(m): 1:24pm On Jun 26, 2011
things are looking good. another Portuguese revolution is imminent
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by Ibime(m): 4:53pm On Jun 26, 2011
nateevs:

A few reports stating we are now in the race for Sanchez. The Barca move has broken down, City have offered 40m but Sanchez is quoted as preferring Chelsea with a 36m bid in the pipeline.

Let this be true o Lord!

I trust AVB to buy in the right places especially wings. Xherdan Shaqiri as well please!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:36pm On Jun 26, 2011
buy well my foot. may he never buy better player ooooo. amen
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by Ibime(m): 4:06pm On Jun 27, 2011
Andre Villas-Boas: Chelsea's new manager who has dedicated himself to football

Andre Villas-Boas is exceptional. By the terms of his profession he is a prodigy, at 33 becoming the youngest manager to win a European club trophy and doing it in style, with a free-scoring Porto team that caught the covetous eye of a Russian billionaire.

Here is a football obsessive whose geeky adolescent fantasies of managing a football club were realised by a chance encounter with Sir Bobby Robson, the manager of Porto, the club he had supported from the moment he knew what a football club was.

He started doing his coaching badges before most boys of his age had done their A-Levels and was running the British Virgin Islands national team when most his school-mates were graduating from university.

Here is a the privately-educated son of a professor and a descendent of nobility more than holding his own in the grimy world of football. He went from being Robson's protege to Mourinho's spy and has always pushed those around him to match his ambitions: he wants everything fast, including his cars. Chelsea will have to keep up. He doesn't want to grow old in the job, planning to use his career to take him round the world: to Japan, Chile and Argentina.

He might be just 33 but he's crammed a lot into his first three decades. Mourinho once said "it has taken me 15 years to be an overnight success". Apposite in Villas-Boas' case too. There is little that is ordinary about him except, perhaps, his goalkeeping.

Villas-Boas was born in Porto in 1977 into an upper-middle class family who lived in the upmarket neighbourhood running off Avenida Boavista. His father, Professor Luis Filipe, is a chemical engineer who had begun his studies in Portugal before moving to England to do his PhD at in the chemistry faculty of the University of Kent in Canterbury. He now sits on the chemical engineering faculty of the Technical University of Lisbon and works for a company that provides hi-tech aluminium car parts for Volkswagen, Audi, Seat and Skoda. Luis Filipe married Theresa, Andre’s mother, in 1973. She runs her own business, with a number of clothing shops in Porto.

Villas Boas grew up in this affluent family, with two sisters and a brother, and fraternised with the social elite of the city. He attended the prestigious Colegio do Roasario, one of the most expensive private schools in the city and with a reputation for academic excellence. The school had originally been known as the English School, run by Sister Margaret Hennessey, an Irish nun and other members of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary. The school’s existence was threatened when the state purged religious schools at the beginning of the last century but the nuns kept it going and, while the school is run by a secular board today, the nuns are still in residence.

“He was a polite, affable student but while he was bright he did not study that hard because what really fascinated him was football,” said Jose Eiro, the head of the PE department.

He was obsessed with sport. He was a member of the exclusive English Club, where expats would go to play cricket, polo and tennis, and used their facilities to play squash.

The noble ancestry

Villas-Boas’ paternal great-great-grandfather Jose Joaquim Villas-Boas (1825-1906) was the Baron of Paco de Vieira, an area near Guimaraes north of Porto, and a judge on the Supreme Justice Tribunal. He was also a the civil governor of Braga. His son and Villas-Boas’ great grandfather Jose Gerardo (1863-1913) became the first viscount of Guidhomil, up near the border with Spain. His brother, and Villas-Boas’ great-uncle Alfredo (1860-1926), was the Count of Paco de Vieira, a judge and an influential figure in Portuguese politics under Prime Minister Ernesto Hintze Ribeiro at the turn of the century, working as the minister for Public Works, Commerce and Industry and as the civil governor of Ponta Delgada in the Azores. There is a road named after him in Guimaraes.

Villas-Boas’ grandfather, Goncalo, married an Englishwoman, Margaret Neville Kendall. Her mother’s family, the Burns, were from Lancashire and Merseyside but her father’s family, the Kendalls, had been in Portugal for at least four generations and were most likely connected with the port wine industry (although her grandfather had apparently been the Consul for Chile in Porto). Margaret’s brother Douglas, an Oxford University alumnus, was an RAF wing commander and was awarded an OBE.

The football fanatic

Villas-Boas was enrolled as a member of FC Porto on July 4, 1980, just before his third birthday. It was a prescient move on his parents’ part; he would become a passionate fan of the club. At nine he was part of the family celebrations as they watched Porto beat Bayern Munich in the 1987 European Cup final and he joined a football club called Ribeirense, based in the centre of Porto and the favourite club of the fanatical supporters’ groups. It was there that he first met Fernando ‘Macaco’ Madureira, who went on to become the leader of the Superdragoes, the most influential Porto ultras.

Football consumed him. He started on the ‘gateway drugs’ football magazines and Panini stickers before slipping down the slope into full-blown Championship Manager addiction. This computer game, with its endless statistics, simulated being a football manager and destroyed the social lives of a generation of football geeks.

Villas-Boas was hooked. He used to carry notebooks around with him, in which he scribbled tactical ideas and stats about players and every Monday, the normally reserved ‘Cenourinho’ (Baby Carrot, because of his red hair) would debate with his friends the weekend’s games. “I remember for one school project he handed in an exhaustive report on Porto and their tactics and substitutions with lots of statistics,” said Eiro, his PE teacher.

The footballer

Villas-Boas wanted to play, too. There was a good amateur club near his school called Ramaldense. It was run from a small bar in the neighbourhood and, unlike most clubs, had their own pitch in the city centre, although now, because of financial problems, it lies fallow and is overgrown with weeds. Humberto Coelho, the famous Benfica and Portugal defender, had played for them but when Villas-Boas and a few of his friends joined, the club was struggling. With the first team threatened with relegation from the city amateur league, they hired ‘Spanish’ Quim to coach.

“They wanted me to try to save the club because they were second from bottom,” Quim said. “I needed better players so I went to watch the Under 19 team. There were three players I thought were good for the first team, including a small but aggressive defensive midfield player — that was Villas Boas.

“He had come to the club at 15 from Ribeirense where he had been a goalkeeper. He was not that good in goal so was normally on the bench and would only play three or four games a season. He played one year in goal for Ramaldense then switched to outfield but he would always want to play in goal during training.

“At 18 he was not very big but he was a good player for us. I remember he would always get the ball and then pass to our right forward, Costa. That was how he played. He knew he was not good enough to turn professional, though.” After leaving Ramaldense he moved to Marechel Gomes de Costa, named after an upmarket boulevard in the town, a bit like the Kings’ Road in London. “We were all boys from the same social background who loved football,” explained Pedro Barros, 35, and the club captain. “It as always been quite informal — our office is in the boot of the president’s car. The team has engineers, doctors and students and it was as much about the social side as playing.” He points to the motto on his club T-shirt: “You’ll never drink alone”.

“Andre joined us in 1998 when I was at university. We hadn’t gone to the same school but had mutual friends and I knew him from playing squash against him at the English club.

“He was a good player, not a big guy but wiry, strong and had no fear. We did not play on grass but on earth pitches so tackling was not so easy. He had great stamina. He talked a lot on the pitch – he was already working for Porto by then — and he always took up good tactical positions. He had to quit at the end of the 1998-99 season though because he had more and more work with Porto and he could not get his Saturdays free.”

The crucial meeting

Villas-Boas got his big break in 1994. He was 16 and was living with his parents in what was then new apartment block on Rua Tenente Valadim. Sir Bobby Robson and his wife Elsie lived in the same building. As a fanatical Porto fan, Villas-Boas could not help but confront the manager of his club when he bumped into him, wanting to know why he was not playing the striker Domingos Paciencia (as Braga manager, Villas-Boas’ opposite number in the Europa League final). Sir Bobby obviously liked the boy’s chutzpah and asked him to leave a report in his letterbox. He liked what he read so he asked Villas-Boas to keep writing them for him. He started to take his protégé down to training occasionally to show him how it all worked.

Robson started taking Villas-Boas with him when he went down to Foz, the area of upmarket bars and restaurants at the mouth of the river Douro. Over a meal or coffee, Robson would talk football with his coaching staff and it was there that Villas-Boas first came across Robson’s outspoken interpreter, Jose Mourinho.

After winning the Europa League final in Dublin last season, Villas-Boas made a point of thanking Sir Bobby, grateful for the generosity his mentor had shown. Not only did Robson formalise Villas-Boas’s work by telling Porto to take him on as a youth coach but he also helped him to start getting his coaching badges, persuading the Football Association to let him on to a Lilleshall course even though he was still only 17. He even set him up with a placement at his old club Ipswich Town.

“Sir Bobby phoned me and asked if I could have Andre over and let him watch training and show him how the club worked for a few weeks,” said George Burley, the manager at the time. “He was very enthusiastic and wanted to know everything, especially about tactics. He obviously listened a lot to Bobby and you could tell he’d had a big influence on him. People compare him to Jose Mourinho and there are things about him that are similar but in terms of his love of very attacking football, well that philosophy came from Bobby. If he can combine the organisation of Mourinho and the enthusiasm of Bobby then he will be very good indeed.”

A Scottish Education

Like his siblings and most of his school-friends, Villas-Boas had planned to go to university, and had ambitions of becoming a sports journalist. Then he thought about doing a degree that could help get a job with a club, like Mourinho had done. After meeting Robson, those plans began to change. He plunged straight into getting his coaching licenses, attending courses at the Inverclyde National Sports Centre in Largs.

“Andre first came to us in 1994 was with us here for over 14 years,” said Jim Fleeting, the SFA director of football development. “He did his C, B, A and Pro License with us and was very studious, very dedicated. It must have been daunting coming to a foreign country and being younger than your classmates but he sailed through the courses.

I remember he used to read everything he could get his hands on, books on psychology, physiology.

“He did his Pro License with a great group: Ally McCoist, Ian Durrant, Owen Coyle, Andy Milne and Craig Brewster. They had a great team spirit and he really held his own. He has strong opinions but is always very respectful.

“He finished his Pro License in 2008 and the following year I asked him to come back and give a presentation to the students. He did a club study and a tactical analysis of an international between Scotland and Georgia. I still use his work as an example to present students.”

Caribbean adventure

Villas-Boas wanted to put some of his theories into practice and took the first opportunity, becoming technical director of the British Virgin Islands. “We want to recruit a young coach with the right qualifications,” said Kenrick Grant, who ran the football association.

“He sent us his CV and, coming from a great club like Porto and being a friend of Bobby Robson, we were convinced.

“When he first arrived he was always on the beach, like he was on holiday! But when he started to work he surprised me. He made a plan for all the teams, youth to senior, and had a manual with tactics and training plans, full of information. He was great with computers too.

He started with the youth team and then wanted to train the seniors.

He got some of them coaching the younger players who went on to become internationals so he left a mark. I had an idea about his age but I wasn’t sure.” The association found out that he was 22 only when he left. He had to collaborate with the manager at the time of selection and he wanted complete control, so he returned to Portugal.

Porto Part 1

When Villas-Boas came back from the Caribbean, things began to change quickly. He started working with the Porto youth team again and, in 2002, Mourinho replaced Octavio Machado as manager. “Mourinho asked me if he could ask Andre to work for him and I said ‘of course, no problem’,” said Ilidio Vale, who ran the Porto academy and now coaches the Portugal Under 20 team. “We knew that he had qualities, that he was ambitious.” He started working for Mourinho on a part-time basis for the end of that season and then took the job full time for 2002-03 season, in which Porto won the league and the Uefa Cup. His scouting reports were famously detailed, sometimes taking four days to compile.

He would go undercover to opposition training grounds to judge the mood of the players and assess their fitness before compiling his dossiers and compiling footage on DVDs. Mourinho would call him his “eyes and ears” and took him to Chelsea when he moved there in 2004 and, initially, to Internazionale before Villas-Boas, frustrated at not being given more responsibility went out alone.

Academica

After Villas-Boas stopped working with Mourinho the relationship cooled and he said publicly this season that they no longer speak. He took a risk joining Academica Coimbra in 2009 because they were threatened with relegation but he managed to get them into mid-table.

The club took a chance, too, of course. “Yes it was a risk, but a calculated risk,” said technical director Luis Agostinho. “Through Jose Mourinho we had all the background of his qualities and skills since he first started working for Porto. He was a strong leader who had an excellent training methodology and with a talent for reading matches. You could quickly see he was talented and Sporting Lisbon twice tried to sign him before he went to Porto.” Being younger than some of his players, you might have expected him to keep his distance but he forged close bonds with his players. “His age was never a problem,” said Pedrinho, who played right-back. “Outside of training he was more like a friend, always wanting to know about your family. Another thing that impressed the players was that he was always first to text you or call you if you got injured. If a player went into hospital for an operation, he would be the first visitor. He cared.”

When he left for Porto he sent a text message to every player in the squad which read: “I’m leaving you for a new adventure. I thank you for what we did together. Each one of you has made their mark on me at the start of my career and all in different and special ways.”

His lieutenants

Villas-Boas is bringing two trusted colleagues with him to Chelsea.

Jose Mario Rocha, his fitness trainer, is someone he knows from his time coaching the Porto youth teams while Daniel Sousa does the job — opposition scout — which he himself used to do for Jose Mourinho.

Sousa studied at the Faculty of Sports at the University of Porto under Jose Guilherme, the Professor of Football, who was Villas-Boas’s assistant at Academica. As part of his final-year thesis Sousa interviewed Villas-Boas about strategies for attacking football. A year later Villas-Boas asked the professor who his best student was and he recommended Sousa.

Need for speed

Outside of football Villas-Boas is a big motorsport fan and in March he was invited by FIA vice-president Carlos Barbosa and the Ford M-Sport team to race on one of the stages the day before the Portuguese round of the World Rally Championship in the Algarve. He sat as co-pilot to Matthew Wilson around a 3km test-loop at Loule. “I had no idea what to expect but the speed was just unbelievable,” he said.

Villas-Boas also attended the Monaco Grand Prix this year and enjoys driving his own cars at speed on the mountain roads of Valongo near Porto. He has driven a BMW Z4 and an M5 and these days drives a special version of the Fiat 500 Abarth

Privacy

Despite his privileged background, Villas-Boas has a reputation for being down-to-earth, polite and approachable. He does, though, closely guard the privacy of his family. He no longer gives one-on-one interviews, instead taking after Marcelo Bielsa and Pep Guardiola in giving long press conferences in which he will answer any question put to him. He very rarely appears at public functions with his wife Joana, who studied interior design at Chelsea College of Art, and, since they were married in 2004, they kept well away from Portugal’s lifestyle magazines. The couple lived with their two young daughters in a modern apartment block very close to where he grew up.

His fame, though, is beginning to impinge on his privacy — the first biography — unauthorised, naturally — is about to be published in Portugal.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 4:23pm On Jun 28, 2011
Great read.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 4:29pm On Jun 28, 2011
nateevs:

Great read.

nateevs, when is chelsea's open training?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (100)

Manchester United Vs Manchester City (1 - 2) On 10th September 2016 / Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2016/2017 / Bayern Munich Fans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.