Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. (8229 Views)

See The Ranking Of Governors Based On Their Perfomance So Far And Add Yours / Meet The Wives Of Governors In Nigeria (photos) / Fashola Not The Best Governor –PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Gbawe: 9:20pm On May 23, 2011
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5704157-146/story.csp

Rotimi Amaechi emerges new Governors Forum chair

BY Musikilu Mojeed

May 23, 2011 05:42PM

Rivers State governor, Rotimi Amaechi, has been elected the new chairman of the Nigeria Governors' Forum. A governor at the meeting of the 36 state governors, still ongoing at Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, said Mr Amaechi emerged chairman after "some crazy politicking."

Mr Amaechi, a close associate of the incumbent chair, Bukola Saraki, was a late entrant into the race. He only openly indicated his interest in the position last night, the source said.

"As at the time we were heading for Ilorin, Amaechi was not among those in contention for the position," said the source. "But everything changed this morning and it was clear he was the frontrunner."

The source did not say whether an election took place or whether Mr Amaechi emerged chairman by consensus. By his election, the Rivers State governor has become the fifth chairperson of the 12-year-old NGF, others being former governors Abdullahi Adamu (Nasarawa), Victor Attah (Akwa Ibom), Lucky Igbinedion (Edo) and Bukola Saraki (Kwara).

Apart from Mr Amaechi, others who indicated interest in succeeding Mr Saraki were Peter Obi of Anambra, Babangida Aliyu of Niger and Sule Lamido of Jigawa. Babatunde Fashola of Lagos who many of his colleagues tipped for the position did not demonstrate significant interest in the position, another source said.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Bawss1(m): 9:58pm On May 23, 2011
Its a PDP thing isn't it? Anyways seems Fashola has more important things to do than head a forum that arguably has no positive impact on the average Nigerian.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Gbawe: 10:05pm On May 23, 2011
Bawss1:

Its a PDP thing isn't it? Anyways seems Fashola has more important things to do than head a forum that arguably has no positive impact on the average Nigerian.

That is precisely what I was hinting at.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by dempeople(m): 10:06pm On May 23, 2011
Bawss1:

My exact sentiments.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by OAM4J: 10:10pm On May 23, 2011
Bawss1:

+1

Exactly.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Gbawe: 10:15pm On May 23, 2011
dem_people:

My exact sentiments.

The man is not bothered about the "chairman of this" and "CEO of that" syndrome many Nigerian leaders suffer from . Fashola is completely focused on the job Lagosians elected him to do. Nigerians would be mad , if they genuinely want accelerated development , not to demand that Fashola contest for our top job in 2015.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by dempeople(m): 10:21pm On May 23, 2011
Gbawe:

The man is not bothered about the "chairman of this" and "CEO of that" syndrome many Nigerian leaders suffer from . Fashola is completely focused on the job Lagosians elected him to do. Nigerians would be mad , if they genuinely want accelerated development , not to demand that Fashola contest for our top job in 2015.

To be honest with you, if he's not one of my favourites then he certainly is my favourite governor for him to be able to handle a state like lagos with all those people living like sardines there.

The guy has foresight but one thing going for him is the readily availability of funds from a well exercised IGR. which seems to be able to allow him to get things done much faster.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Gbawe: 10:23pm On May 23, 2011
OAM4J:

+1

Exactly.

My brother , it is like the squabble concerning the position of Speaker. Serious politicians , with plans to deliver for the electorate, will not be interested in positions that , for now , can't really be used to benefit the people because of the feudalistic and centrist influence of the majority ruling Party.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Rhino5dm: 10:33pm On May 23, 2011
Brilliance! My 2 fovourites. How i wish Ameachi is the one ruling now. . . Goto Rivers and see total transformation.
Inda wene o!
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by OAM4J: 10:45pm On May 23, 2011
Gbawe:

My brother , it is like the squabble concerning the position of Speaker. Serious politicians , with plans to deliver for the electorate, will not be interested in positions that , for now , can't really be used to benefit the people because of the feudalistic and centrist influence of the majority ruling Party.

Abi o.

I have said it before that GEJ/PDP can keep their speakership and other zoned political offices for all i care. A commitment to build a five lane road from Lagos to Ibadan and Sagamu to Ore will be more appreciated by me.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by wesley80(m): 11:08pm On May 23, 2011
Governor Fashola was quoted recently during a public forum in Washington DC as saying and I quote 'the governors forum is now a competitive team and members try to out do the other in developin their states'. He further stated that 'there is now a strong peer review mechanism going round in the forum that energizes governors to be development conscious and work harder for their people' (its on this weeks Business world newspaper pg 28).
So would Fashola really not be interested in the leadership of such a forum? I dont think so and neither have i read anything on this thread that wld make me think otherwise. Fashola is a smart man and knows how to pick his battles and knowing the forum is dominated by PDP Governors, probably chose to play it cool. Every politician that really wants to make a difference not just in his immediate environment has got to aspire to some sort of higher office or position of influence and that is what a forum like the Governors forum is, or have we forgotten the role they played during the Yaradua saga?
Fashola is a good man that has done tremendously well, but pls lets not turn him to an all knowing n perfect 'Tin god'
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Johndoe100(m): 11:33pm On May 23, 2011
wesley80:

Governor Fashola was quoted recently during a public forum in Washington DC as saying and I quote 'the governors forum is now a competitive team and members try to out do the other in developin their states'. He further stated that 'there is now a strong peer review mechanism going round in the forum that energizes governors to be development conscious and work harder for their people' (its on this weeks Business world newspaper pg 28).
So would Fashola really not be interested in the leadership of such a forum? I dont think so and neither have i read anything on this thread that wld make me think otherwise. Fashola is a smart man and knows how to pick his battles and knowing the forum is dominated by PDP Governors, probably chose to play it cool. Every politician that really wants to make a difference not just in his immediate environment has got to aspire to some sort of higher office or position of influence and that is what a forum like the Governors forum is, or have we forgotten the role they played during the Yaradua saga?
Fashola is a good man that has done tremendously well, but pls lets not turn him to an all knowing n perfect 'Tin god'

Why won't they? Is he not Yoruba? They hope to foist him on the rest of the country. They are deceived.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by jmaine: 12:10am On May 24, 2011
Johndoe100:

Why won't they? Is he not Yoruba? They hope to foist him on the rest of the country. They are deceived.

This comment is uncalled for even though people are trying to praise a particular group . . . Reduce the tribal bile please . .Cheers grin
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by silverstud: 12:26am On May 24, 2011
Even if Fashola was interested. I do not think he would have gotten it. b'cos he is not in the PDP, which has most of the governors!!! Ameachi is a decent Governor, congrats to him. Lets hope he does a Good Job,
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by ektbear: 12:31am On May 24, 2011
As much as people might try to downplay it, being head of that forum is nice. Sometimes better to claim to not be interested in something that might be exceedingly difficult to obtain, given certain political realities
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by OAM4J: 12:53am On May 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

As much as people might try to downplay it, being head of that forum is nice. Sometimes better to claim to not be interested in something that might be exceedingly difficult to obtain, given certain political realities

Pls give me 2 benefits of heading such forum.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by ektbear: 1:11am On May 24, 2011
OAM4J:

Pls give me 2 benefits of heading such forum.

Hrm, good question. I cannot give you anything specific. But that I don't specifically know the benefit doesn't mean there aren't any.

Someone else who knows more will no doubt speak up.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by cheikh: 1:19am On May 24, 2011
@Op
It's basically a PDP governors' inspired forum etc which carries little if any 'weight' at all. It's of no consequence nor benefit to Lagosians which is ACN ruled. Fashola should remain focused as usual and leave grand standing to men of ill repute and mediocrity.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by aljharem3: 2:15am On May 24, 2011
^^^^^^

gbammmm
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Mynd44: 3:38am On May 24, 2011
I would have been disappointed if he decided to take a shot at that dumb post anyways
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by ochigbooyi: 5:26am On May 24, 2011
Fashola knows he won't get was a reson ,don't make him a demigod please.Is he the only governor that is performing or is the most qualified.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by EkoIle1: 5:46am On May 24, 2011
Seems the mood in the SW and within the leadership not in sync with all these worthless and silly positions and titles.

Like they say, little things bugs shallow minds.

Obviously, Fashola is a busy man, no time for crappy titles.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by daroz(m): 5:55am On May 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

Exacltly
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Nobody: 6:13am On May 24, 2011
Bawss1:

Indeed. Everything fashola currently does is in the interest of average Nigerian (not even lagosians).
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by dplordx(m): 7:14am On May 24, 2011
J12:

Indeed. Everything fashola currently does is in the interest of average Nigerian (not even lagosians).

thats a BIG lie. I dont know this BRF no more. Hes proposing 205b to build an airport while the whole of Alimosho is utter ruin and squalor.
BRF is an elitist and hes only interested in going where Tinubu has interests. Please take a big look at this picture and tell me how this guy is far better than Amaechi?

Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Diligence: 7:24am On May 24, 2011
If Fashola did turn down the offer, he blew it up! Leaders hv a positive perspective and that is winning attitude that catapults them to charge and exert confidence and enthusiasm that are inbred in their followers, so eschewing such opportunity, does not portend well for such pressure and all-important group such as Governors Forum. It becomes a case where the mediocres head such groups, weild such power and jettison, selfishly as had bn the case recently, mass interests, for their own pockets!
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Gbawe: 7:26am On May 24, 2011
cheikh:

@Op
It's basically a PDP governors' inspired forum etc which carries little if any 'weight' at all. It's of no consequence nor benefit to Lagosians which is ACN ruled. Fashola should remain focused as usual and leave grand standing to men ill repute and mediocrity.

We are saying the same thing as far as the part in bold. Nonetheless , despite the assumption this is a PDP position, Fashola would be one of the favourites if interested because he is genuinely respected by all the Governors to include the PDP Governors.  Jang has hailed him as "the best Governor in Nigeria setting the pace  for others" . Another PDP Governor (can't remember who) stated openly that "Fashola is better than all of us" . Things are less rancorous now than in the OBJ and yar Adua days. Fashola would probably have gotten the position if interested . Most of us must know , with all we are seeing , that things are changing rapidly as per politics - and rightfully so. Below , Aliyu is waxing lyrical about Fashola . I genuinely believe that Governors would probably have looked beyond partisanship and made Fashola Chairman of their forum if the lagos Governor was actually passionate about the position. Afterall , the Governors forum would gain massive credibility ,in the eyes of Nigerians if, and goodwill if led by the most popular governor in Nigeria locally and Internationally.

http://www.naijapals.com/modules/naijapals/politics/fashola-has-performed-well-gov-aliyu/msg1911338/

Niger State Governor, Dr. Babangida Aliyu, on Tuesday poured encomiums on the Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, saying the latter had distinguished himself with his performance.

The governor, who spoke while declaring open the 47th Annual International Conference of the Nigerian Mining and Geosciences Society in Minna, said the giant strides of Fashola in Lagos had made the Action Congress of Nigeria popular in the state.

Describing Fashola as a dedicated and committed public servant, the governor, who is seeking re-election on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, said the performance of his counterpart in Lagos had become a nightmare for the PDP in the state.

He said the PDP waited patiently for ACN to deny Fashola a second-term ticket in order to grab him as a weapon to capture Lagos.

Specifically, he said while everybody had thought Lagos would not work, Fashola had proved critics wrong by transforming the city.

“I am speaking from the bottom of my heart. Fashola has performed; forget about partisan politics. Here is one person that has performed. People had given up on Lagos that it would not work, but he has made it work”, he said.

He described bad leadership as the bane of development in the country, observing that despite the efforts of leaders in the Arab world, the masses had risen up against them demanding a better bargain.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Nobody: 7:39am On May 24, 2011
dplordx:

thats a BIG lie. I dont know this BRF no more. Hes proposing 205b to build an airport while the whole of Alimosho is utter ruin and squalor.
BRF is an elitist and hes only interested in going where Tinubu has interests. Please take a big look at this picture and tell me how this guy is far better than Amaechi?

I was sarcastically questioning the naieveity of the folks here who put fashola on a god pedestal, how can people be so naive?
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Nobody: 7:39am On May 24, 2011
Everything fashola does is in the interest of Nigeria indeed.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Gbawe: 7:41am On May 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

You seem to have a penchant for politicians accepting leadership positions without marrying that notion with the actual politics on the ground . This is not the USA . Some positions are not worth accepting because of how politics is played in Nigeria currently . Fashola is a very bright guy. Perhaps , in addition to being very busy,  he does not want to be the leader of a gang with a majority of rapacious folks always looking out for their own interest ahead of anything else. Was it not this same Governor's forum, under Saraki , that was extorting GEJ when the Turai Cabal held Nigeria hostage?

If you know some history of Nigeria you will have examples concerning men of integrity who accepted poisoned chalices (eg Tai Solarin) . If Fashola becomes head of the Governor forum and unpopular or selfish positions (which may be the case with a PDP majority)  carries the day who do you think will be blamed even if he does not agree with the "common" position reached? Who do Nigerians blame , if not Saraki, when the "greedy and evil" Governor's forum held GEJ to ransom?
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by Gbawe: 7:44am On May 24, 2011
J12:

I was sarcastically questioning the naieveity of the folks here who put fashola on a god pedestal, how can people be so naive?

Those of you who love being contrarian for the sake of it , as regards Fashola, are probably not Lagosians. You are not worth educating as per what obtained before Fashola , for decades , in comparison to what has been achieved in 4 years by the Lagos Governor.
Re: Amaechi New Head Of Governors Forum. Fashola Not Interested. by rasputinn(m): 7:48am On May 24, 2011
Fashola not interested or NOT CAPABLE OF CLINCHING IT?
For starters,how many ACN governors do we have in Nigeria for Fashola to head the governors forum??secondly the governors would not want a weakling(like Fashola) to lead them.

Check the antecedents of the two former heads of the forum,when Obong Attah was the head,even though he was a PDP governor(the same party with President Obasanjo),it's on record that he did not dance to the tune of OBJ on issues that contradicted with decisions of the forum or indeed during the issue of disputed oil wells between CRS and AKS

Enter Bukola Saraki,this man (unlike Fashola) is not a weakling,he stood up to the older Saraki(his father) and did not allow Olusola Saraki to run Kwara state by proxy(the way Fashola has allowed Tinubu a free reign in Lagos),even if his father actually installed him as governor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Dickson Holds 2017 End Of Year Thanksgiving At Toru-Orua, Bayelsa / Jubilation As Enugu Pensioners Thank Ugwuanyi For Payment Of Gratuities / See Hida Sirika's Estate In Katsina. Nigerians Are Dum.b!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.