Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Can Someone Translate This? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can Someone Translate This? (8540 Views)

Can Someone Translate This Efik Song? / Can Someone Translate This Yoruba 2 English / Can Someone Translate Me A Few Igbo Sentenses Into Englisch? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Translate This? by Afrwri: 10:45pm On May 23, 2011
My ex-boyfriend sent me this message and I don't know if it is vulgar or not. He is Nigerian, please help me understand what "Obo ni lya" means. Is he breaking up with me or something or is it something innocent. Please get back with me.
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by deniyor: 11:20pm On May 23, 2011
It means I miss you lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Translate This? by tayoast(m): 1:07am On May 24, 2011
did u guys av a quarell before he sent d msg?
Sounds like 'someone is a monkey'
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by Pweety4me(f): 1:13am On May 24, 2011
Make i just laff pass . . . lipsrsealed
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by Mynd44: 1:48am On May 24, 2011
Don't know what that means
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by MsPotato(f): 1:53am On May 24, 2011
I thought Obo means sex and Iya means wife? undecided

Ok what language is this sef? Sounds Yoruba embarassed
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by tayoast(m): 2:00am On May 24, 2011
Ms. Potato:

I thought Obo means sex and Iya means wife? undecided

Ok what language is this sef? Sounds Yoruba embarassed

Obo, depending on d way it is pronounced, could mean Vagyna or Monkey

Iya means Mother.

It's Yoruba
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by MsPotato(f): 2:03am On May 24, 2011
tayo_ast:

Obo, depending on d way it is pronounced, could mean Vagyna or Monkey

Iya means Mother.

It's Yoruba

OMG! Either way, her bf sucks. angry Mehnnn,,,, , ,

Thanks for the translation wink

Poster, you can call your bf this , Muka Tahi Cicak means Lizard Shit Face! grin
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by ShyOne(f): 3:28am On May 24, 2011
@ Poster

Language regardless of where it originates is ONLY a form of communication.

When your mate - male or female - starts pulling that Foreign Language BS - just start making up words that he/she doesn't understand either and vomit those words at him/her.

That's what I would do.  My guy is Yoruba - if he and I have a disagreement and if he EVER starts speaking Yoruba intentionally after a disagreement (which to this date he has never done) - if he EVER does it - I will give him back what he gives me. 

I find that if a mate starts speaking a foreign language and won't translate it - 9 times out of 10 it is negative and they are A COWARD.

So start making up words and adding it to half words that they know what it means and SPIT IT AT THEM.  Show them that ANYBODY, ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET can do the same thing.  That foreign language crap means nothing.  They ain't slick.  It's done in a manner to hurt you and it's done in a tone of pure disrespect.  It's irrelevant what it means - THE INTENT is the only relevancy.

So to wind the long story short - POSTER SPIT SOME SHYT back at his IGNORANT a.zz.  Then dust your feet and walk away.
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by Nobody: 6:55am On May 24, 2011
@least I translate the first word ^obo^ = pu[i]ssy[/i] cheesy undecided
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by MMM2(m): 7:03am On May 24, 2011
it means u re wicked girl
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by bolseas(f): 11:19am On May 24, 2011
@ poster, is the guy a yoruba guy? this will help people translate correctly, if he is yoruba, he would have typed "Obo ni Iya e"- meaning your mother is a monkey, but "Obo ni iya" doesnt really make any meaningful statement except the words are translated separately,
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by bolseas(f): 11:21am On May 24, 2011
besides, he is ur ex-boyfriend, he shouldnt be breaking up with you, he has broken up with you, i guess that the cause of your breakup still hurts him, that is probably why he sent the txt, is he yoruba?
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by Afrwri: 12:35am On May 26, 2011
Thanks everyone for the great comments!
Ms. Potato: Thank you I will use that on him, what a jerk!!!
Bolseas: Yes he is Yoruba.
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by jackpot(f): 3:35am On May 26, 2011
Go on girl, spit it out to him. Freak him out. Lol
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by obowunmi(m): 4:33am On May 26, 2011
"Obo ni Iya re" means. Ur mama na monkey.
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by bolseas(f): 9:46am On May 26, 2011
ok, Silence is the best answer to his likes, i will suggest that u desist from exchanging words with him, he is not worth ur sweat,
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by Afrwri: 4:53am On May 29, 2011
Okay people, he wrote me back and said "I love you" in English, I'm very confused. What I should I do?

Thanks all! smiley
Re: Can Someone Translate This? by InkedNerd(f): 7:07am On May 29, 2011
Shy-One:

@ Poster

Language regardless of where it originates is ONLY a form of communication.

When your mate - male or female - starts pulling that Foreign Language BS - just start making up words that he/she doesn't understand either and vomit those words at him/her.

That's what I would do.  My guy is Yoruba - if he and I have a disagreement and if he EVER starts speaking Yoruba intentionally after a disagreement (which to this date he has never done) - if he EVER does it - I will give him back what he gives me. 

I find that if a mate starts speaking a foreign language and won't translate it - 9 times out of 10 it is negative and they are A COWARD.

So start making up words and adding it to half words that they know what it means and SPIT IT AT THEM.  Show them that ANYBODY, ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET can do the same thing.  That foreign language crap means nothing.  They ain't slick.  It's done in a manner to hurt you and it's done in a tone of pure disrespect.  It's irrelevant what it means - THE INTENT is the only relevancy.

So to wind the long story short - POSTER SPIT SOME SHYT back at his IGNORANT a.zz.  Then dust your feet and walk away.

Hmmm, interesting. I never thought of it in that manner. Personally, I've never experienced what the OP has but I don't necessarily think I would call the person a coward. I guess its because I'm fascinated by languages. When it comes to situations like that, I keep in mind something very important that my father once told me which was one must keep in mind that language is no man's monopoly. lol, unfortunately, he learned that the hard way which I find funny since he seems to like immersing himself in different languages. I remember having a conversation with one of my former professors and she pointed out language isn't just a means of communication--it's also a means of exclusion.

(1) (Reply)

Say Ur Native Names And Translate Them / African Babes Repping Their Black Skin. / Fattening Rooms Of Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.