Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:08 PM

What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! (35435 Views)

See What Wole Soyinka Wrote About Fashola(pic) / The Truth About Fashola's Success / What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! Pt 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 12:24am On May 26, 2011
Tejuosho Mall

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Kilode1: 12:33am On May 26, 2011
Katsumoto:

Before Oil became the main source of revenue, palm oil, groundnuts, rubber, and Cocoa were the main sources of revenue. Do you know that Cocoa which was sourced predominantly in the Western part of Nigeria received the most revenues. Revenue derived from Cocoa was used on Lagos as well as other parts of the country as well as paying the salary of Federal workers who came from all parts of Nigeria.

Exactly, I believe Cocoa export accounted for 80% of Nigeria's foreign exchange revenue before oil was discovered in 1957, Just like we have oil today, many people outside cocoa producing towns benefitted from that too.

@Kanto, The point is that this disorganized Nigerian system is messing everybody up.

It's not Yoruba, Igbo, Niger Delta or Hausa "parasite" states, it's a few usurpers across all regions who are acting as overlords feeding fat on our people, their land and their resources. They are the "establishment" protectors, they are the ones benefitting from the oil revenue, they are the ones who don't want Nigeria to change. Those are the folks we need to direct our attention and anger at.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 12:36am On May 26, 2011

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by houvest: 12:38am On May 26, 2011
@ediclove. I an with you here but as i said before. It is still subjective and odds improvement but it is a good start if there are no data available for benchmarking.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 12:40am On May 26, 2011
Two million gallons capacity Mini Water Works in Badore

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 12:42am On May 26, 2011

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Kanto: 12:45am On May 26, 2011
I am not into the business of bad mouthing anyone or group unless provoked by some of the sadistic monkeys in nairaland. Fashola has done well no doubt, just like some other governors expecially considering the level of mediocrity in nigeria. I do remember that in the Thisday newspaper rankings and awards for governors  which used specific benchmarks in their assesment Fashola did come first and Chime second. Lagos does have the advantage of having been a former federal capital with major federal infrastructures, institutions and a large concentration of corporations and businesses owned by nigerians from all over the country which all site their corporate headquaters in lagos.  For example dangote's headquaters is in lagos, just as pascal dozie's diamond bank headquaters is also in lagos.

This concentration of corporations and federal structures has made it possible for lagos to generate a large amount of internally generated revenue adding to the federal allocations which has helped a good man like fashola to have enough money to embark on major projects.  You need money to execute projects and the large concentration of population and business cluster in lagos has actually been a kind of advantage that made it possible to generate revenue for the renewal of the city by the accomplished governor.

I also do have a lot of respect for Sullivan Chime whose state is the 2nd poorest in the nation but yet have been able to make a lot of modest achievements with the very little money available. He actually has his own version of BRT buses which is known as coal city shuttle and new taxi cabs that look exactly like the taxis in NEW YORK.

As for posting pictures and development plans on the internet, i doubt if that is an accurate way of assesing a governor as many states have pictures to flaunt. If pictures and development plans are yardsticks to asses a governor,  Imo state  might come close to winning as the disgraced governor Ohakim posted a lot of breathtaking development plans in his website. This is why i never bothered uploading any of those pictures. Whoever is interested can visit the imo state website and be a little bit patient as different pictures and project plans will be flicking through and it takes a while before all the pictures including the projects under development rotates into the window

See link: http://www.imostate.gov.ng/

In all, i think we are better off leaving the real assesment to newspapers like thisday which use more practical benchmarks to make their assesments and those living within those cities who can testify to whatever developmental strides are on the ground.

Finally we dont need to spend our life abusing each other here over mundane stuff. Nigeria is a failed state that lacks the most basic infrastructure due to bad leaders and we all are victims. No amount of abusing each other here can change the facts that nigeria remains largely a jungle, which is why many nigerians are fleeing the nation on a daily basis. Most nigerians abroad will rather die than be deported back to that hell-hole called nigeria. A nation whose citizens are fleeing in droves cannot is purely and simply a bad nation.

While we recognize the modest achievements of a select few like fashola, nigeria remains a jungle and we need to continue to struggle to have a nation where governance overall will be for service delivery rather than for looting.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Katsumoto: 12:49am On May 26, 2011
Kilode?!:

Exactly, I believe Cocoa export accounted for 80% of Nigeria's foreign exchange revenue before oil was discovered in 1957, Just like we have oil today, many people outside cocoa producing towns benefitted from that too.

@Kanto, The point is that this disorganized Nigerian system is messing everybody up.

It's not Yoruba, Igbo, Niger Delta or Hausa "parasite" states, it's a few usurpers across all regions who are acting as overlords feeding fat on our people, their land and their resources. They are the "establishment" protectors, they are the ones benefitting from the oil revenue, they are the ones who don't want Nigeria to change. Those are the folks we need to direct our attention and anger at.

And it wasn't until the middle 70s to late 70s before Oil became the main source of revenue. Cocoa farmers still held sway until at least 1980. Yet some want you to believe that Oil money was used to develop Lagos as if Cocoa was not used to develop other parts of Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Kilode1: 12:57am On May 26, 2011
^^ Very right, unfortunately it seems like it's too difficult for over-oppressed Nigerians to focus on the real issues, especially those who get all their information from beer parlour chats, So they hide behind ethnic and religious rivalry talk.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 12:57am On May 26, 2011
Kanto:

I am not into the business of bad mouthing anyone or group unless provoked by some of the sadistic monkeys in nairaland. Fashola has done well no doubt, just like some other governors expecially considering the level of mediocrity in nigeria. I do remember that in the Thisday newspaper rankings and awards for governors  which used specific benchmarks in their assesment Fashola did come first and Chime second. Lagos does have the advantage of having been a former federal capital with major federal infrastructures, institutions and a large concentration of corporations and businesses owned by nigerians from all over the country which all site thewir corporate headquaters in lagos.  For example dangote's headquaters is in lagos, just as pascal dozie's diamond bank headquaters is also in lagos.

This concentration of corporations and federal structures has made it possible for lagos to generate a large amount of internally generated revenue adding to the federal allocations which has helped a good man like fashola to have enough money to embark on major projects.  You need money to execute projects and the large concentration of population and business cluster in lagos has actually been a kind of advantage that made it possible to generate revenue for the renewal of the city by the accomplished governor.

I also do have a lot of respect for Sullivan Chime whose state is the 2nd poorest in the nation but yet have been able to make a lot of modest achievements with the very little money available. He actually has his own version of BRT buses which is known as coal city shuttle and new taxi cabs that look exactly like the taxis in NEW YORK.

As for posting pictures and development plans on the internet, i doubt if that is an accurate way of assesing a governor as many states have pictures to flaunt. If pictures and development plans are yardsticks to asses a governor,  Imo state  might come close to winning as the disgraced governor Ohakim posted a lot of breathtaking development plans in his website. This is why i never bothered uploading any of those pictures. Whoever is interested can visit the imo state website and be a little bit patient as different pictures and project plans will be flicking through and it takes a while before all the pictures including the projects under development rotates into the window

In all, i think we are better off leaving the real assesment to newspapers like thisday which use more practical benchmarks to make their assesments and those living within those cities who can testify to whatever developmental strides are on the ground.

Finally we dont need to spend our life abusing each other here over mundane stuff. Nigeria is a failed state that lacks the most basic infrastructure due to bad leaders and we all are victims. No amount of abusing each other here can change the facts that nigeria remains largely a jungle, which is why many nigerians are fleeing the nation on a daily basis. Most nigerians abroad will rather die than be deported back to that hell-hole called nigeria. A nation whose citizens are fleeing in droves cannot is purely and simply a bad nation.

While we recognize the modest achievements of a select few like fashola, nigeria remains a jungle and we need to continue to struggle to have a nation where governance overall will be for service delivery rather than for looting.    

You basically just rubbished your already flawed essay with the highlighted.

When you talk about having more money to execute projects, you must be talking about yearly budgets which is what the states have to work with.

So, going by your reasoning about Lagos state with 18 million people having so much money to throw at projects, but other states in Nigeria with just 5 million people have more money and larger budgets than Lagos state. Obviously, they have more money than Lagos state to go after way way better projects than what Lagos state is doing.

See how ignorant, flawed and misguided you sound?

What is going on in Lagos is all about good and sophisticated public administration by credible people, not money because others with less population and less responsibilities have more money than Lagos state

Instead of losing sleep over Lagos state, you need to be asking what the other richer states are doing with all that money

Do your homework you type up another ignorant essay
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Kanto: 1:00am On May 26, 2011
Let me endeavour to post some pictures from Imo state.

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 1:02am On May 26, 2011
Kanto:

Let me endeavour to post some pictures from Imo state. 

Epic Fail

Try the roundabout pictures?
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Katsumoto: 1:02am On May 26, 2011
Kanto:

I am not into the business of bad mouthing anyone or group unless provoked by some of the sadistic monkeys in nairaland. Fashola has done well no doubt, just like some other governors expecially considering the level of mediocrity in nigeria. I do remember that in the Thisday newspaper rankings and awards for governors  which used specific benchmarks in their assesment Fashola did come first and Chime second. Lagos does have the advantage of having been a former federal capital with major federal infrastructures, institutions and a large concentration of corporations and businesses owned by nigerians from all over the country which all site their corporate headquaters in lagos.  For example dangote's headquaters is in lagos, just as pascal dozie's diamond bank headquaters is also in lagos.

You are still missing the point; you seek to remove from the good works of those administering Lagos. I challenged your earlier post but you side-stepped my post. I ask again, what were the federal projects in Lagos outside Lagos Island? Please focus on Surulere, Ikeja, Shomolu, Ilupeju, Ibeju-Lekki, Alimosho, Ketu, Ikorodu, Epe etc

Secondly, Lagos was a trading post before the British got to West Africa. You have to accept that the city in itself possesses several characteristics which naturally enhanced its position. Unlike Abuja which was developed completely by the FG, Lagos only had certain parts, possibly less than 10%, developed by the FG. Nigeria's capital was moved to Abuja in 1991, why has Lagos not diminished in size? Why didn't it suffer the same fate as Calabar? You all seem to focus on Lagos being the capital and the little developments that it received but you ignore the problems that Lagos had to accept as well such as crime, over-crowding, hasty developments to accommodate an ever-growing immigrant population.

You have to understand that businesses will naturally locate to areas that serve their purpose. Lagos is great because its administrators are able to harness the advantages that it has into value-adding developments. Each state/region is similarly blessed.

Eko o ni baje o
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by emmatok(m): 1:19am On May 26, 2011
Katsumoto:

You are still missing the point; you seek to remove from the good works of those administering Lagos. I challenged your earlier post but you side-stepped my post. I ask again, what were the federal projects in Lagos outside Lagos Island? Please focus on Surulere, Ikeja, Shomolu, Ilupeju, Ibeju-Lekki, Alimosho, Ketu, Ikorodu, Epe etc

Secondly, Lagos was a trading post before the British got to West Africa. You have to accept that the city in itself possesses several characteristics which naturally enhanced its position. Unlike Abuja which was developed completely by the FG, Lagos only had certain parts, possibly less than 10%, developed by the FG. Nigeria's capital was moved to Abuja in 1991, why has Lagos not diminished in size? Why didn't it suffer the same fate as Calabar? You all seem to focus on Lagos being the capital and the little developments that it received but you ignore the problems that Lagos had to accept as well such as crime, over-crowding, hasty developments to accommodate an ever-growing immigrant population.

You have to understand that businesses will naturally locate to areas that serve their purpose. Lagos is great because its administrators are able to harness the advantages that it has into value-adding developments. Each state/region is similarly blessed.

Eko o ni baje o

I agree with you on these points.

1. Lagos was the major focus of trade and business before independent.

2. When Lagos was the capital most suburbs like, Ikrorodu, Ipaja Ayobo, Epe,IJU e.t.c were not developed.

The same thing is currently happen in Abuja most suburbs are not developed. If the capital leave Abuja today that place will crumble.

But Lagos is still waxing strong because of better Governor.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Kanto: 1:19am On May 26, 2011
more pictures

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by houvest: 1:21am On May 26, 2011
@kanto. Please can you direct me to that this day assessment. I really need it for research purposes. How did enugu become the 2nd poorest state, any links?
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 1:26am On May 26, 2011
houvest:

@kanto. Please can you direct me to that this day assessment. I really need it for research purposes. How did enugu become the 2nd poorest state, any links?

Enugu's state budget for 2011 is 66 billion/400 million dollars
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by houvest: 1:48am On May 26, 2011
@ katsumoto. Were you really serious when you posted that we should be content with pictures and visual appraisals? I think not. Why should we subject our leaders to lesser standards of assessment than those internationally accepted? How does ediclove's list apply only to developed cities? Are those not irrudicible minima we should require from them? He did not say those standards should be set for fashola alone but all our leaders. The UN Emphasis is actually on human development and sustainable economic empowerment that helps reduce poverty not just on the glitz and glamour of projects so those indices should be encouraged for these assessments.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by jmaine: 1:54am On May 26, 2011
emmatok:

I agree with you on these points.

1. Lagos was the major focus of trade and business before independent.

2. When Lagos was the capital most suburbs like, Ikrorodu, Ipaja Ayobo, Epe,IJU e.t.c were not developed.

The same thing is currently happen in Abuja  most suburbs are not developed. If the capital leave Abuja today that place will crumble.

But Lagos is still waxing strong because of better Governor.

Yes Lagos is waxing stronger but not entirely dependent on Gov Fashola . . The aggressive and enormous  business clime of Lagos is a major factor . . The suburbs you mentioned owe their immense development to the private sector . . . The government only accelerate this succession pattern by providing basic amenities like roads and bridges to interlink communities, there are instances in which the absence or delay of Government intervention . . triggers neighborhoods to undertake the task of making provision for their roads ( even though atimes cheap materials like timber are utilized) . .The advent of Fash will most likely increase, encourage and sustain the acceleration of this growth rate by his zeal and sincerity to provide the necessary amenities needed for such development  
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Katsumoto: 1:57am On May 26, 2011
houvest:

@ katsumoto. Were you really serious when you posted that we should be content with pictures and visual appraisals? I think not. Why should we subject our leaders  to lesser standards of assessment than those internationally accepted? How does ediclove's list apply only to developed cities? Are those not irrudicible minima we should require from them? He did not say those standards should be set for fashola alone but all our leaders. The UN Emphasis is actually on human development and sustainable economic empowerment that helps reduce poverty not just on the glitz and glamour of projects so those indices should be encouraged for these assessments.

It appears that you didn't understand me; I am for good governance. But I am also pragmatic. How many of the administrators in Nigeria really understand what they are supposed to be doing? Most of those guys are out of their dept. They are not only innately corrupt but most are incompetent and are products of the failing educational system in Nigeria. What sort of benchmarks do you to use on Gbenga Daniel, Akala, Ohakim, Orji, and most of the governors in the North? We are not judging individuals in the caliber of Obama here you know.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Kanto: 2:16am On May 26, 2011
I am not exactly an expert in posting pictures, but put up a few just to prove that pictures are not an accurate accesment of governance. Anybody who wants to see more can check out the website.

@ Eko Ile: I am not in anyway downplaying fashola's lofty achievements which i admire.  Please let me clarify what i meant by the advantage of lagos in having more  revenue for development. Imagine a state like Enugu with roughly 5 million people but with a budget of just 66 billion that is barely enough to pay salaries with just a little left for projects.

And compare to lagos with a budget of over 450 billion. Dont forget that the civil service in lagos is not significantly larger than that of Enugu. Lagos state does not also pay social welfare to anyone as the generality of the citizens that reside there try to eck out a living on their own without any social welfare payments or social benefits from the state government. What that means is that after paying civil servants which is not significantly larger than that of enugu, Lagos state will still have more disposable income to execute large capital projects than a poor state like Enugu.

For example if lagos spends 110 billion on the annual salaries and emoluments of its civil servants, it will still have more than 340 billion to execute major capital projects in just one year, whereas if a state like Enugu spends 40 billion on the annual salaries and emoluments of its civil servants it will have just 26 billion left for capital projects which is hardly enough to undertake any major project. That is the point i was trying to make. Thanks

@Katsumoto:

please get your facts right. the former regions had palm oil and coal in the East, Cocoa in the west and groundnut in the North. At that time under the true federal system, all the regions were autonomous and self sustaining so they used all their resources for themselves.

But from the dismantling of the regions and the creation of states by gowon, nigeria became a unitary state funded directly by crude oil proceeds since the 70's.
As for Lagos, we need to stop deceiving ourselves because lagos benefitted immensely from being a federal capital just like any other capital in the world.Lagos as a federal capital benefitted from major federal projects such as the international airport, major network of roads, major federal institutions etc which in turn led to a mass influx of nigerians from all parts of the country and the establishment of corporate headquaters of all businesses in lagos as is the tradition all over the world. Lagos state alone for example has more federal presence, more  flyover bridges and expansive major highways constructed by the federal government  than the whole of the southeast.

All over the world, wether in london or paris, or amsterdam, or bruxelles or madrid, or rome, capital cities most of the time  always attract more development and more influx of people  than anywhere else in a nation. The major reason why there is a large concentration of nigerians from all over in Lagos is because of those factors. In other yoruba states, you can hardly find other nigerians. lagos quite simply benefitted immensely from its former status as a federal capital just as Abuja is benefitting today. Denying this obvious fact as some of you try to do is ludicrous and very laughable. Cheers.

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 2:17am On May 26, 2011
Home and Clinic for the Physically Challenged Children in Owode Orile

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Kanto: 2:22am On May 26, 2011
last pictures. interested parties can check website for more. I dont know how to upload pictures directly here as i dont really use nairaland that much:

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 2:35am On May 26, 2011
Kanto:

I am not exactly an expert in posting pictures, but put up a few just to prove that pictures are not an accurate accesment of governance. Anybody who wants to see more can check out the website.

@ Eko Ile: I am not in anyway downplaying fashola's lofty achievements which i admire.  Please let me clarify what i meant by the advantage of lagos in having more  revenue for development. Imagine a state like Enugu with roughly 5 million people but with a budget of just 66 billion that is barely enough to pay salaries with just a little left for projects.

And compare to lagos with a budget of over 450 billion. Dont forget that the civil service in lagos is not significantly larger than that of Enugu. Lagos state does not also pay social welfare to anyone as the generality of the citizens that reside there try to eck out a living on their own without any social welfare payments or social benefits from the state government. What that means is that after paying civil servants which is not significantly larger than that of enugu, Lagos state will still have more disposable income to execute large capital projects than a poor state like Enugu.

For example if lagos spends 110 billion on the annual salaries and emoluments of its civil servants, it will still have more than 340 billion to execute major capital projects in just one year, whereas if a state like Enugu spends 40 billion on the annual salaries and emoluments of its civil servants it will have just 26 billion left for capital projects which is hardly enough to undertake any major project. That is the point i was trying to make. Thanks

The fact is, this has nothing to do with Enugu, you brought up Enugu. I know what a lot states have in terms of money and I know Enugu is not a rich states, the argument here radiates around states like Rivers and Rivers that some are parading and propping up as states doing better than Lagos.

Then they keep coning up with nonsense like Lagos state have access to more money, but these other states have more money and bigger budget than Lagos. So what's their excuse.

All I did was ask them to show us pictures because Nigerian governors like to brag so they put all their work on their websites, so if there is nothing on their websites, it basically means they are not doing anything, PERIOD.

Just loom at the folks running posting pictures from Rivers, they ran out of pictures after one page of bogus projects pics and claims and I'm not even done posting Fashola's pictures sef,
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 2:49am On May 26, 2011
Abattoir & Lairage At Oko-Oba, Agege, Lagos

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 2:52am On May 26, 2011
Bola Ahmed Tinubu Avenue

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Katsumoto: 3:18am On May 26, 2011
Kanto:

@Katsumoto:

please get your facts right. the former regions had palm oil and coal in the East, Cocoa in the west and groundnut in the North. At that time under the true federal system, all the regions were autonomous and self sustaining so they used all their resources for themselves.

But from the dismantling of the regions and the creation of states by gowon, nigeria became a unitary state funded directly by crude oil proceeds since the 70's.
As for Lagos, we need to stop deceiving ourselves because lagos benefitted immensely from being a federal capital just like any other capital in the world.Lagos as a federal capital benefitted from major federal projects such as the international airport, major network of roads, major federal institutions etc which in turn led to a mass influx of nigerians from all parts of the country and the establishment of corporate headquaters of all businesses in lagos as is the tradition all over the world. Lagos state alone for example has more federal presence, more  flyover bridges and expansive major highways constructed by the federal government  than the whole of the southeast.

All over the world, wether in london or paris, or amsterdam, or bruxelles or madrid, or rome, capital cities most of the time  always attract more development and more influx of people  than anywhere else in a nation. The major reason why there is a large concentration of nigerians from all over in Lagos is because of those factors. In other yoruba states, you can hardly find other nigerians. lagos quite simply benefitted immensely from its former status as a federal capital just as Abuja is benefitting today. Denying this obvious fact as some of you try to do is ludicrous and very laughable. Cheers.  

You can side-step the pertinent facts but I am still waiting for the FEDERAL developments in Lagos state outside Lagos Island.

Certain things you need to realise
1. Each region operated autonomously using internally generated revenue until Ironsi made Nigeria a unitary state in 1966. All regions contributed to the centre for federal fiscal policies. After 1966, Cocoa was still the mainstay in the Nigerian economy. Palm oil, rubber and groundnut also contributed to Nigeria's revenue. Correct me if I am wrong but Coal was and is still not exported despite their being huge reserves in the East (Enugu, Imo).

2. Certain parts of Lagos were developed by the Western regional governments until 1967 when those parts were joined with Lagos Island to form Lagos State. All STATES received allocation from the centre as well as having certain infrastructure developed by the federal government. To suggest that it was only Lagos STATE that received projects and allocation is naive at best and disingenuous at worst. As the federal govt not developed roads in other oarts of Nigeria? Is the federal govt not still maintaining those roads, albeit poorly?

3. All states have continued to receive funding from the proceeds of oil with the states in the former Eastern region receiving more than other states. The question is - what happened to several billions of dollars received by each state each year? Lagos has stopped being capital for over twenty years. There are no more excuses. What have the other state governors done with their allocation since 1999? Some people don't even realise that Ikeja is arguably more developed than Lagos Island.

I am still waiting for the list of federal projects in Ilupeju, Surulere, Ikeja, Alimosho, Epe, Ikorodu, etc

Edit:
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Afanna1: 3:24am On May 26, 2011
PORT HARCOURT | Karibe Whyte Specialist Hospital | Hospital | U/C
http://clinoriv.com/

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by jason123: 3:28am On May 26, 2011
Katsumoto:

You can side-step the pertinent facts but I am still waiting for the FEDERAL developments in Lagos state outside Lagos Island.

Certain things you need to realise
1. Each region operated autonomously using internally generated revenue until Ironsi made Nigeria a unitary state in 1966. All regions contributed to the centre for federal fiscal policies. After 1966, Cocoa was still the mainstay in the Nigerian economy. Palm oil, rubber and groundnut also contributed to Nigeria's revenue. Correct me if I am wrong but Cocoa was and is still not exported despite their being huge reserves in the East (Enugu, Imo).

2. Certain parts of Lagos were developed by the Western regional governments until 1967 when those parts were joined with Lagos Island to form Lagos State. All STATES received allocation from the centre as well as having certain infrastructure developed by the federal government. To suggest that it was only Lagos STATE that received projects and allocation is naive at best and disingenuous at worst. As the federal govt not developed roads in other oarts of Nigeria? Is the federal govt not still maintaining those roads, albeit poorly?

3. All states have continued to receive funding from the proceeds of oil with the states in the former Eastern region receiving more than other states. The question is - what happened to several billions of dollars received by each state each year? Lagos has stopped being capital for over twenty years. There are no more excuses. What have the other state governors done with their allocation since 1999? Some people don't even realise that Ikeja is arguably more developed than Lagos Island.

I am still waiting for the list of federal projects in Ilupeju, Surulere, Ikeja, Alimosho, Epe, Ikorodu, etc

Just to support your argument:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/nigeria-makes-n133bn-from-cocoa/

I came across the article 3 weeks ago but saved it till now.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Katsumoto: 3:36am On May 26, 2011
jason123:

Just to support your argument:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/nigeria-makes-n133bn-from-cocoa/

I came across the article 3 weeks ago but saved it till now.

Thanks for that

If Cocoa still constitutes approximately 39% of non-oil exports in 2010, generating N133BN in the process, imagine what it generated from the 20s to the 70s. N133BN despite most of the cocoa farms laying fallow today.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by ektbear: 3:40am On May 26, 2011
Damn.

That cocoa money is kind of a big deal, lol.

Do we export chocolate? Or just raw cocoa?

I know that Nestle is building a factory in Ogun. Hrm. . .
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by bkbabe97y(m): 3:48am On May 26, 2011
Kanto:

@bk.babe97y

Why are you running away [/b]you dirty stinking pig who has probably not taken a bath in the last one week? I thought you knew how to make noise. Now the hard facts have sent you running. Next time you engage in such foolery here again, i will pump more hard facts into your ugly face that will give you sleepless nights for at least one week. Yeye empty noisemaker!

I hardly indulge in this nairaland crap by psyochpaths and cowardly dirty lowlifes like bk.babe97y who have no life beyond demonstrating how badly brought-up they are on the internet, but every once in a while, i take off my gloves and give such frustrated bigots a[b] serious whooping.

Hahahahaha!!!! Run from you? You took off your "gloves" and handed me a "Serious whooping"?! grin My stomach hurts for real!

You seem to be new to NairaLand. If so, ask around. Be careful what u wish for.

Ciao!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply)

INEC Fraudulently Allocated Votes To Tinubu- Kwankwaso / Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth / How Lagos State Firefighters Stopped Balogun Market Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.