Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer (8815 Views)

Can I Call Myself A Good Programmer If I Only Know Visual Basic / Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer / [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Dimkyky: 4:44pm On May 24, 2011
Hello all.I am new here am nt sure if there are any females on this forum and if there are i wud like dem to please notify. I am a beginner in programming and i love it so much.Is it advisable as a female.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by obowunmi(m): 5:43pm On May 24, 2011
A woman should be bold enough to become anything that she wants to become.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 24, 2011
hey! dual core ati don puzzo, i first una reach here this tyme.

Yo, baby, you can be a very good programmer. it is not our [size=1pt]pencil[/size] that makes us good programmers,
it is how well you can apply your brains.

Just paly up with the guys here make we ginger you. . .
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by DualCore1: 6:24pm On May 24, 2011
Dim_kyky:

Hello all.I am new here am nt sure if there are any females on this forum and if there are i wud like dem to please notify. I am a beginner in programming and i love it so much.Is it advisable as a female.

Ofcox sweerie, you can be a very good programmer! grin
Even sef the object oriented approach to programming just makes life all fun. See programming as dealing with objects in the real life. wink
Behind every successful female programmer there's a guy like me who's chest she can always lay on when the bugs get crazy. cool

You got almost all it takes. You have the will, the tools, the focus and what's left is the guy like me. Oh well you got me now so its all complete smiley
So erm. . . where do we start from dearie? kiss
We could start with the inheritance concept but how do we discuss inheritance when we don't have kids. . . yet?
Oya enter code mode, lets erm. . . brb need to take this call.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 24, 2011
@Dual Core and DHTML:Programming Pervs, hey Donpuzo is missing grin
@OP Why not afterall in the dictionary a Programmer is defined as "Someone", it didn't say a Guy. anyway there are female programmers,the former Organization i worked in,this ASP.NET was having issues with some codes he showed me by then i was using only PHP, so i told me sorry bro i can't help out.and he said he'll show his wife,naturally i burst into laughter till he had that straight face his wife too is a programmer a .NET Coder.apparently they used to work together till she left for another company. True Story.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by java002: 8:00pm On May 24, 2011
Sure a woman can be an excellent programmer and i think there are female programmer on this site maybe when they get online and see your post they will respond to you and give you some encouragement but the truth is that there is no differences between a male and female on this issue and you have one vital ingredient to start out:"i love it so much"(your words).So just get going and if you need assistances simply post it and trust me, you will get all the humanly possibly assistances from the good guys and ladies in this forum.However you should post straight programming questions on the programming section of this site and web based question on this section for optimal response from programmers.I wish you well.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Seun(m): 8:05pm On May 24, 2011
Of course you can be a very good programmer. But you'll have to fight harder to be recognized as one.
If you truly love it then the sky is your limit. You can give yourself an advantage by using the very best tools.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by SpikesC1: 8:25pm On May 24, 2011
Hmmmmm,that will be nice getting a differient gender into our section.
@OP; your feminism can't oppose your will,you just need to study hard and become very good in your area. Even,with facts,the female brain is actually better in remembering things,so most of what you have to do is improve the analytical side of it. And as others said,if you got a question, just post it here, we lazy guys are always around to help.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by talk2hb1(m): 9:25am On May 25, 2011
uhm
Computer programming the art of computer science, the joy of late night behind your computer, the joy of caffeinated blood, the joy of head cracking bug. I did love to have a female programmer friend hit me on fakebuuk with talk2hb1@gmail.com or call me on 08064620491.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by MrCork17: 11:26am On May 25, 2011
Yes: in the kitshen. They programme firewood cooker!! angry
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by juman(m): 11:28am On May 25, 2011
obowunmi:

A woman should be bold enough to become anything that she wants to become.

Yeah. With hard work nah.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by moderattor: 11:31am On May 25, 2011
am nat marrying any gurl thats nat a programmer. fullstop.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by chines4(m): 11:45am On May 25, 2011
Mr, Cork:

Yes: in the kitshen. They programme firewood cooker!! angry

U'r from this generation or what?
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Nobody: 11:49am On May 25, 2011
talk2hb1:

uhm
Computer programming the art of computer science, the joy of late night behind your computer, the joy of caffeinated blood, the joy of head cracking bug. I did love to have a female programmer friend hit me on fakebuuk with talk2hb1@gmail.com or call me on 08064620491.
are you twing to say that programmers are crackheads? BTW i drank 3 lucozade boosts yesternite to stay awake - not caffeine

Mr, Cork:

Yes:  in the kitshen.  They programme firewood cooker!!  angry
what kinda nonsense thing is that?

but this i know, women can programme the pots and stoves better sha. . . .so you probably have your point

moderattor:

am nat marrying any gurl thats nat a programmer. fullstop.
interestingly, i will not even go as far as dating, talkless marry. . . .
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by talk2hb1(m): 12:06pm On May 25, 2011
*dhtml:

are you twing to say that programmers are crackheads? BTW i drank 3 lucozade boosts yesternite to stay awake - not caffeine
I am not saying programmers are crackhead, but most programmers use one stimulant or the other from kolanut, caffein, energy boost, shepe or ogogoro, etc some even drink garri to ginger them.
mean no pun
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by talk2hb1(m): 12:08pm On May 25, 2011
*dhtml:

I am not saying programmers are crackhead, but most programmers use one stimulant or the other from kolanut, caffein, energy boost, shepe or ogogoro, etc some even drink garri to ginger them. new programmer dont be like ooh I dey take coffe well well
mean no pun
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by talk2hb1(m): 12:08pm On May 25, 2011
*dhtml:

I am not saying programmers are crackhead, but most programmers use one stimulant or the other from kolanut, caffeine, energy boost, shepe or ogogoro, etc some even drink garri to ginger them. new programmer dont be like ooh I dey take coffe well well
mean no pun
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by talk2hb1(m): 12:13pm On May 25, 2011
*dhtml:

I am not saying programmers are crackhead, but most programmers use one stimulant or the other from kolanut, caffeine, energy boost, shepe or ogogoro, etc some even drink garri to ginger them. new programmer dont be like ooh I dey take coffe well well
mean no pun
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by cameronese(m): 12:19pm On May 25, 2011
I've had two or three female programmers contribute one or two things to palness.com and i can assure you they're great.

As long as you'll find joy coding, why not? There's really no difference between male and female programmers.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by MPEROR: 12:23pm On May 25, 2011
Yes my daughter is a Programmer, as a matter of fact she is the head of the department at 31 works 4 the U S GOV
so go 4 it
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by dewaledeyi(m): 12:28pm On May 25, 2011
Females have been scientifically proven to be more intelligent than males.

Programming involves logic, which is a man's thing but if a female works at i.t she becomes a guru cos it always interest females when they learn logic. Remember what you are learning will be academic while a man's natural logic is crude.

I have over 20 years in IT and much of that time is spent programming. Talking from my experience, just put your mind to it. Once you are able to scale the initial hurdle of logical manipulations and perculiarities of various programming languages, you will become the best.

I'll also like to warn you that it is addictive.

My 2 cents.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by sisqology(m): 12:36pm On May 25, 2011
Seun , tell nairaland oh, she is eating my posts embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by tboy1(m): 12:45pm On May 25, 2011
Dim_kyky:

My younger sister studied software engineering and got a job quicker than her male mates that graduated (only 2 females graduated in her class) I also work in an IT environment and there are a few ladies in the team and they are very good at what they do.

A female computer programmer will have the same opportunities as a male computer programmer i.e Discrimination does exist in IT. If you are good @ what you do, you will have no problem getting a job quick
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 25, 2011
sisqology:

Seun , tell nairaland oh, she is eating my posts embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
she needs serious flogging

@talk2hb1, i dont use any stimulant, and on days when i have loads of work, i can code for 16 hours at a stretch without getting up
to even eat - and on the average, i sleep for not up to 6 hours, and not up to 8 hours on days that i am completely worn out.

I am like that naturally before i started programming - restlessness is my second nature. But i had to drop out of so many social / sport
activities over tyme = used to play chess, table tennis, football, karate club, video game (ave u guys seen darksiders?). . . . . .but i had
to leave almost all of them and focus on programming. . .and [size=1pt]medicine[/size]

I guess programming is just like that, but on the contrary, in terms of lyfestyle, i will say i am a jeun-soke programmer. . .

@poster, i dont believe programming has to do with male or female, just that, it is commonly associated with males, but i have met some
female programmers that are able to make me look like a primary 2 programmer sha
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by ektbear: 12:51pm On May 25, 2011
Yes, programming isn't something women have some sort of physical disadvantage in
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by BabaEleko(m): 12:52pm On May 25, 2011
[size=16pt]YES OFCOURSE! IF YOU NO LET PR1CK ENTER YOUR HEAD TOO MUCH!!![/size]
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by sisqology(m): 12:55pm On May 25, 2011
dualcore, where are u oh? i need u here asap, add me on yim
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by sisqology(m): 1:00pm On May 25, 2011
Baba_Eleko:

[size=16pt]YES OFCOURSE! IF YOU NO LET PR1CK ENTER YOUR HEAD TOO MUCH!!![/size]

a word is enuff for the wise

*dhtml:

she needs serious flogging

koboko or pankere??

By the way, i no see you for my yim again oh, whats wrng? got some couple of things i wanna share johh
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by dazzle37(f): 1:05pm On May 25, 2011
@ Op

Yes there is no crime in becoming a programmer, i am a female too and i also love programming, but i have never really contributed to this section of

nairaland because every time i come in here, i only see the ( M ) status so i did not want to be the odd one out or the only female in this section.

With the right tools and determination, you can be what ever you want to be. e.g for me,

its not just programming alone, i am also oracle certified, i studied oracle 10g, i run my oracle on linux not even on windows, windows is now strange to

me, not just that alone, i am also a software quality tester, software testing and auditing is actually a new aspect of IT in nigeria, Nigeria has not yet fully

explored that aspect of IT yet, And the funny part is not just that you know software testing, there is really alot of money in it too if you know your

onions but it is what i really love doing too. i like the challenges that comes with programming and managing or creating a

database, it keeps me going everyday, infact, i see it as part of my daily balance diet. LOL.i also come to nairaland programming section to read and learn

new stuffs everyday, though i have never

commented reason being that, i did not want to be the odd one out, the only female among the guys here.

so i really want to encourage you to do what you enjoy doing and the sky is your limit.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by VALIDATOR: 1:12pm On May 25, 2011
dewaledeyi:

Females have been scientifically proven to be more intelligent than males.

Programming involves logic, which is a man's thing but if a female works at i.t she becomes a guru cos it always interest females when they learn logic. Remember what you are learning will be academic while a man's natural logic is crude.

I have over 20 years in IT and much of that time is spent programming. Talking from my experience, just put your mind to it. Once you are able to scale the initial hurdle of logical manipulations and perculiarities of various programming languages, you will become the best.

I'll also like to warn you that it is addictive.

My 2 cents.

The bolded above is the simple reason why there are fewer female programmers. Programming is indeed very addictive.If you enjoy it like I do,you just won't want to go to bed on time and your life tend to be very un-programmed as you tend to eat,shiit,ffuck,sleep,etc at odd times or you skip them all together just because the codes are flowing well.
Just please find a balance between the codes and the real life.Do not let computer programming un-program your life just like any other addictive thing.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by MrCork17: 1:46pm On May 25, 2011
Womens prefar coooking and cleeening. PERIOD!!  angry
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 25, 2011
Womens prefar coooking and cleeening. PERIOD!!  Angry
Mr, Cork am sorry but this is not the Romance Section that you are used to,in this section more intelligent and sexist free comments are made here.so u can have your fun at the Romance Section or contribute on the Programming or Web Development topics if u have any topic or request for people to handle projects,any other comments asides are not welcome and also it makes you look silly too.thanks for understanding. wink also its "women prefer cooking and cleaning".at the Web Section too good communication skill is a pre-req-ui-site. wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Smart Card Plant Supports Expansion Of Financial Services To Poor / School Management System-SMS (version 1.7) Upgrade / Python 3: Exercises And Solutions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.