Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology (20094 Views)

Poll: Which of these is the best federal structure for nigeria

Current (36 states and 1 FCT): 0% (0 votes)
6 Regions from geo-political zones: 0% (0 votes)
5 regions based on Far North, Middle Belt, Deep South, Yoruba and Igbo: 100% (1 vote)
Splitting (2-10 new countries): 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Yoruba Leaders Insist On True Federalism- SS/biafra's False Impression debunked / National Conference Adopts True Federalism For Nigeria / Aguiyi-ironsi Killed True Federalism In Nigeria, Says Ishola Williams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 4:10pm On Jan 10, 2012
In the light of recent events in the polity, it is imperative that I continue to explain the make-up of the MB area. I see a situation where some boundaries will have to be agreed between the various regions and peoples of Nigeria

NASARAWA STATE:

This state is just north of the Benue river and north east of the Niger-Benue confluence. It is erroneously thought by a lot of Nigerians to be a core north state.

To give a brief summary, there are settlements of Hausa-Fulani (KEFFI) and Kanuri (LAFIA) which have come to dominate the political landscape of the area since the jihad. However, a lot of small ethnic groups can be found in this 13-LGA state which do not belong to the above groups

Most prominent of these are the Gbagyi (again), Bassa, Ebira (again), Alago, Mada and Eggon. Alago is closely related to Idoma, mainly found in Benue State

My take is that these groups would be of a greater population than the core north groups which can be found in the state
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by ektbear: 4:18pm On Jan 10, 2012
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 4:23pm On Jan 10, 2012
PLATEAU STATE:

This state has 17 LGA's This is one of the states with a very strong perception of the middle belt identity, probably due to their experiences with the core north over the years

The most prominent groups in the state are the Berom (Jos), Tarok (Langtang), Goemai (Shendam), Angas (Pankshin), and Mwaghavul (Mangu)

There are Hausa-Fulani presence in Wase and Kanam and these places have Emirs

Jos is the most cosmopolitan city in the middle belt, and one of the most cosmopolitan in the country. This is due to the tin-mining of the old days. This has seen Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Edo, Ibibio, Ijaw, West African, and European families come to make this lovely city a permanent home. Infact, apart from Abuja, which can actually be referred to as a NATIONAL territory rather than just a middle belt city, there is no other settlement which can be referred to as a city of note in the Middle Belt area
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by aletheia(m): 4:37pm On Jan 10, 2012
ekt_bear:

http://web.africa.ufl.edu/asq/v10/v10i2a5.htm

^-- Long and depressing read
^
Why depressing? It basically highlights the long struggle by the MB peoples against Hausa/Fulani hegemony. These people were never conquered by the Fulani Jihad. Remember some of the discussions we had around the election period when I was adamant that Buhari would lose in the MB because of historical factors. . .but some of you thought I was lying.

bashr8:

. . .the southeastern igala who share similarieties,names and cultures with the igbo and a few others that are similar to the edos.
^Yoruba and Igala have a common origin as an examination of the two languages reveals. Some western Igbos and northern Igbos (around Nsukka/Enugu axis) are descended from Igala. At one time in the past one of the Attahs came from Bini.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by ektbear: 4:43pm On Jan 10, 2012
It is depressing to me that some unfortunate events in the 1800s and certain biased decisions by the British really fvcked over a lot of people.

Articles like this make me hate the British, Fulani and Hausa and wish for their destruction.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by DRANOEL(m): 4:53pm On Jan 10, 2012
@aletheia

igala's are kwararafa! their origins can be traced to the old kwararafa kingdom made up of jukuns,idomas,igallas,chamba,igede,alago etc

1 Like

Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by aletheia(m): 5:01pm On Jan 10, 2012
^
Sir,
you conflate origins with history. The Kwararafa Confederacy consisted of the tribes you listed. It doesn't mean they all came from the same origins. What tied them together was that they were under the suzerainty of the Jukun and looked to the Aku Uka for legitimacy as well as modelling their kingships after the Priest-King-Father role of the Aku Uka.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by edoyad(m): 5:17pm On Jan 10, 2012
aletheia:

^
Sir,
you conflate origins with history. The Kwararafa Confederacy consisted of the tribes you listed. It doesn't mean they all came from the same origins. What tied them together was that they were under the suzerainty of the Jukun and looked to the Aku Uka for legitimacy as well as modelling their kingships after the Priest-King-Father role of the Aku Uka.

Seems you're well schooled on this subject. Can you explain to me the legacy of the Nok people ? Can the descendants of the Nok people be only found in southern kaduna or are there others elsewhere in the region?
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by naijaking1: 5:32pm On Jan 10, 2012
karfe:

@ Obiagu1

If you go into the nitty-gritty of it, Igbo will appear as an ethnic group in Benue, and maybe even Kogi, but that is not my intention. I want to bring out the most prominent groups in each MB state and how they influence local and regional politics, vis-a-vis the MB issue

Iam so impressed by your analysis that I want to ask if you know why many Igala towns bear Igbo names, or Igbo-sounding names?
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 5:37pm On Jan 10, 2012
edoyad:

Seems you're well schooled on this subject. Can you explain to me the legacy of the Nok people ? Can the descendants of the Nok people be only found in southern kaduna or are there others elsewhere in the region?

My personal opinion from observation is that the region from southern Kaduna all the way to some parts of Adamawa and Taraba is one huge cultural region descended from the same source, probably some kind of proto-Nok culture
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by edoyad(m): 5:48pm On Jan 10, 2012
karfe:

My personal opinion from observation is that the region from southern Kaduna all the way to some parts of Adamawa and Taraba is one huge cultural region descended from the same source, probably some kind of proto-Nok culture

Interesting.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 5:55pm On Jan 10, 2012
edoyad:

Interesting.

Not proven! I hope to find any archaeological or historical evidence in the future to support my theory. Maybe some study has been done already but I am not aware of it
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by edoyad(m): 6:06pm On Jan 10, 2012
Now let me riddle you a bit. What culture would you say is indigenous to the people of the middle belt ? It is liquid and somewhat brown in nature. Someone once told me that it was in ancient times used by priests and chief priests of communities, to get in the "spirit".
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by ektbear: 6:06pm On Jan 10, 2012
karfe:

This theory seems too convenient.

Would be politically useful if true, but doesn't sound plausible.

Jukun for example aren't even really indigenous to Nigeria right? Or rather, they only settled in the region within the past 1000 or so years.

Nok on the other hand is a B.C. culture.

Unfortunately, the middle belt appears to be a collection of culturally, ethnically and linguistically heterogeneous peoples.

However, just because that is true doesn't mean you don't have a common interest today. Build around that.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 6:24pm On Jan 10, 2012
ekt_bear:

This theory seems too convenient.

Would be politically useful if true, but doesn't sound plausible.

Jukun for example aren't even really indigenous to Nigeria right? Or rather, they only settled in the region within the past 1000 or so years.

Nok on the other hand is a B.C. culture.

Unfortunately, the middle belt appears to be a collection of culturally, ethnically and linguistically heterogeneous peoples.

However, just because that is true doesn't mean you don't have a common interest today. Build around that.

You are right. Its convenient. I will do some personal research into the matter. Like you said, the main issue is that we have a separate background  from Hausa, Fulani, and Kanuri. The Jukun actually have some kind of linguistic relationship with the Plateau groups

edoyad:

Now let me riddle you a bit. What culture would you say is indigenous to the people of the middle belt ? It is liquid and somewhat brown in nature. Someone once told me that it was in ancient times used by priests and chief priests of communities, to get in the "spirit".

Burukutu is not our regional symbol like the kangaroo is to Australia!! Infact, it is not so popular in Niger, Benue and Kogi States. Did I pass?
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by ektbear: 6:29pm On Jan 10, 2012
Basically, despite being different groups with different languages and cultures, you middle belt peoples (and we Yoruba, for that matter) have a common enemy.

The Fulani and the Hausa.

All of us, our history to some extent has been defined by combating this Sokoto Caliphate. And 200+ years later, the battle is not yet won. The struggle continues.

That I think is enough to define common interest.

And until this Sokoto Caliphate and their descendants/allies are completely destroyed, we have to stick together.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by naijaking1: 6:33pm On Jan 10, 2012
ekt_bear:

Basically, despite being different groups with different languages and cultures, you middle belt peoples (and we Yoruba, for that matter) have a common enemy.

All of us, our history to some extent has been defined by combating this Sokoto Caliphate. And 200+ years later, the battle is not yet won. The struggle continues.

[size=18pt]And until this Sokoto Caliphate and their descendants/allies are completely destroyed, we have to stick together.[/size]

God shall bless you in abundance! Amen.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by edoyad(m): 6:35pm On Jan 10, 2012
  Burukutu is not our regional symbol like the
kangaroo is to Australia!! Infact, it is not so
popular in Niger, Benue and Kogi States. Did I
pass?
  grin . .  in Kwara state too. And yes you did pass.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by edoyad(m): 6:47pm On Jan 10, 2012
ekt_bear:

And until this Sokoto Caliphate and their descendants/allies are completely destroyed, we have to stick together.

Wow!! really strong words ekt, but things are not exactly as black and white as they seem, we have a very complex problem in our hands of which much much of the blame falls on very wrong ideologies set in the past.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by ektbear: 6:56pm On Jan 10, 2012
Harsh, blunt, but I think basically the truth.

I probably would have stated it more diplomatically if I hadn't read the article linked above first.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 7:20pm On Jan 10, 2012
Let's go on,

TARABA STATE:

There are 16 LGA's in this state. This is one of the MB states with many, many ethnic groups. Some Fulani settlements can be found mainly in the Northern part of this state. The most prominent groups are Jukun, Mumuye, Kuteb, Chamba, and Mambilla. Infact, each of these ethnic groups are usually composed of peoples speaking varying languages. There is also a group of different peoples near the Gombe State border collectively referred to as Wurkum

I have never been to this state, but I hear it is a potential tourist hot spot, especially around the Mambilla Plateau
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 7:35pm On Jan 10, 2012
ADAMAWA STATE:

Due to the multiplicity of ethnic groups within this state of 21 LGA's and their differences with the Hausa-Fulani-Kanuri, we are encouraged to include this state in the MB region. However, the strength of the Fulani politically is overwhelming. An article I read says the Fulani population of the state is about 3%. There is strong islamic presence as well, even among the non-Fulani groups. The most prominent local groups are the Bachama and Higgi. The Bura and Marghi can be found here, but are mainly in Borno State to the north of this state

One other point to note is that the Fulani in this state are slightly different in origin from those in other Nigerian states. They are closely related to the Adamawa Fulfulde speakers in Garoua and Maroua, Cameroon

Just to note. Unlike the article in the original post of this thread, I am of the opinion that ethnicity, and not Islamic or Christian origins, should determine the make-up of the MB region. However, some ethnic groups have been so affected by Islam (or the Hausa culture?) in the MB that they have a closer affinity with the core north than other MB groups
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by naijaking1: 7:40pm On Jan 10, 2012
@karfe
Please answer my question about the origin of Igbo names in many Kogi towns and villages: Ejila--, Onicha--, Ugbo--,etc
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 7:43pm On Jan 10, 2012
To summarize our thread on MB ethnic make-up so far:

8 states: Kwara, Kogi, Benue, Niger, Nasarawa, Plateau, Taraba and Adamawa minus the Yoruba areas of Kwara and Kogi can be included in the Middle Belt.

4 or 5 other areas can also be included, and will be discussed subsequently.

Stay tuned
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Dede1(m): 7:54pm On Jan 10, 2012
ekt_bear:

It is depressing to me that some unfortunate events in the 1800s and certain biased decisions by the British really fvcked over a lot of people.

Articles like this make me hate the British, Fulani and Hausa and wish for their destruction.

How soon you forgot the exploits of your kinsmen in the so-called debacle at Ore? Water has already gone under the bridge. The mere insinuation of phantom federalism in Nigeria remains a political copout. Anything short of disintegration of the colonial contraption called Nigeria is unacceptable.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 7:57pm On Jan 10, 2012
naijaking1:

Iam so impressed by your analysis that I want to ask if you know why many Igala towns bear Igbo names, or Igbo-sounding names?

naijaking1:

@karfe
Please answer my question about the origin of Igbo names in many Kogi towns and villages: Ejila--, Onicha--, Ugbo--,etc

I am from Kogi State. I know about Ejule and Ogbonicha in the eastern part of the state. These are Igala towns. However, in some of the local governments in the southern side, Igbo is spoken by a good percentage of the population. A lot of persons also bear names Egwu, Ogwu, etc. Igala market days are Eke, Afor, etc. But this is normal for boundary areas. Infact, on the Anambra and Enugu side, there are several towns with Igala speakers. An example is Eteh District in Enugu State

In case you do not know, Kogi means river in the Hausa language, and due to the small sizes of middle belt groups, there is a lot of influence from surrounding ethnic groups. In addition, ethnic groups like the Igala which had an empire / kingdom structure have also exerted influence on surrounding ethnic groups

Just note that a lot of this is just my opinion. You may share with us any evidence you have contrary to what I have shared
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by edoyad(m): 8:38pm On Jan 10, 2012

Just to note. Unlike the article in the original post
of this thread, I am of the opinion that ethnicity,
and not Islamic or Christian origins, should
determine the make-up of the MB region.
However, some ethnic groups have been so
affected by Islam (or the Hausa culture?) in the
MB that they have a closer affinity with the core
north than other MB groups

I agree with you on this. The make up of the area should be based on the ethnic origins of the people and not their religious affiliations.

About some tribes having a close affinity with core north, i do agree that is more visible among the Nupes and Some Zurus. I think it has to do with factors like religion and presence of core northern settlers in their midst.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by naijaking1: 9:10pm On Jan 10, 2012
karfe:

I am from Kogi State. I know about Ejule and Ogbonicha in the eastern part of the state. These are Igala towns. However, in some of the local governments in the southern side, Igbo is spoken by a good percentage of the population. A lot of persons also bear names Egwu, Ogwu, etc. Igala market days are Eke, Afor, etc. But this is normal for boundary areas. Infact, on the Anambra and Enugu side, there are several towns with Igala speakers. An example is Eteh District in Enugu State

In case you do not know, Kogi means river in the Hausa language, and due to the small sizes of middle belt groups, there is a lot of influence from surrounding ethnic groups. In addition, ethnic groups like the Igala which had an empire / kingdom structure have also exerted influence on surrounding ethnic groups

Just note that a lot of this is just my opinion. You may share with us any evidence you have contrary to what I have shared

Thanks, that's very interesting. I saw a pre 1960 Igbo map that stretches well into what we know as Kogi today. The Eke, Afor, 4-day week market days is as Igbo as new yam festivals!
Not surprising the ruling military Hausa/Fulani named the state after their language without regard to local languages and culture.

1 Like

Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 9:28pm On Jan 10, 2012
naijaking1:

Thanks, that's very interesting. I saw a pre 1960 Igbo map that stretches well into what we know as Kogi today. The Eke, Afor, 4-day week market days is as Igbo as new yam festivals!
Not surprising the ruling military Hausa/Fulani named the state after their language without regard to local languages and culture.

I hope you are not using that old map to jump into conclusions. There is actually no part of Kogi that can be seen as Igbo territory if you check very well. Kogi was just the old LGA in Koton Karfe which is now used to name the whole state due to lack of a common reference for the heterogeneous area. Remember Kogi has Yoruba as well
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Tsiya(m): 9:30pm On Jan 10, 2012
I am particularly interested in understanding the rational behind how you define MD apart from the main stream one which specifically define MD as the non-islamic majority areas/states.

Our understanding from reading newspaper articles and lectures I attended mostly centred around making MD an expression against the historical oppression of the more dominant Hausa ethnic group.

However, to be realistic, when one start looking at your definition of MD the Northern Nigeria will be a very small area. Just to be clear on this, are you defining MB as areas exclusively dominated by non-Hausa speaking ethnic groups?
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by DRANOEL(m): 9:52pm On Jan 10, 2012
what makes people one is affirnity with each other. most of the so called MB tribes have nothing (absolutely nothing) in common! for instance theres nothing in common btw the igala and the berom man,neither is there anything in common btw the bachama and mada man.the tivs are so distinct from the others! MB is just an idea of forming a front of minorities against the hausa/fulani. most of these MB tribes have an affirnity with the hausa through years of intermingling the exception being the eastern central ones i.e igala,tiv,idoma!
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 11:11pm On Jan 10, 2012
@ Tsiya,

MB, according to the school of thought I belong to, is made up of the non-Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri in the old Northern region. However, I realize that the area proposed for it includes a lot of Hausa-Fulani & Kanuri peoples who still have a stronger allegiance to their parent bodies far up north than to their closest neighbours (I may be wrong, but that is my feeling)

Personally, I feel that using Christianity as a criteria for the MIDDLE BELT identity is self-defeating. Most MB persons have close relatives who are of Christian, Islamic and traditional convictions, or even a mixture of these

The fact that the region would actually be larger than the rest of the north (core or far north) may be a reason for the strong resistance to the grouping

I am however of the belief that if this region, along with COR and Midwest were all created in 1963 (only Midwest created), Nigeria would have been far ahead of what it is today, and the civil war may have been avoided entirely. But that is a topic for another day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal / Gej's Delegation To Brazil Is World's Largest - SaharaReporters / US Temporarily Closes Embassy In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.