Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,786 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology (20093 Views)

Poll: Which of these is the best federal structure for nigeria

Current (36 states and 1 FCT): 0% (0 votes)
6 Regions from geo-political zones: 0% (0 votes)
5 regions based on Far North, Middle Belt, Deep South, Yoruba and Igbo: 100% (1 vote)
Splitting (2-10 new countries): 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Yoruba Leaders Insist On True Federalism- SS/biafra's False Impression debunked / National Conference Adopts True Federalism For Nigeria / Aguiyi-ironsi Killed True Federalism In Nigeria, Says Ishola Williams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 7:19pm On Jan 29, 2012
Tsiya:

Is your middle belt based on (1) religious identity: Muslim - North and Christians (MB), (2) Ethnicity: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri - North and Everyone else- MB

My answer is (2), and I have been trying to make that clear from the start of this thread

I have also made it clear, and ekt-bear supported me and explained better, that a clean break is not possible. No illusions about that

If there are contrary opinions to the list, from you or anyone else, let us discuss. Remove the places you think are not MB from the list presented and inform other forumists why they cannot be part of my fantasy as you call it. My ultimate aim is to also learn from you and have a better understanding

If you do not agree with the MB concept, what is your alternative apart from the status quo? Because I do not think what we have is working
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Tsiya(m): 7:49pm On Jan 29, 2012
karfe:

My answer is (2), and I have been trying to make that clear from the start of this thread

I have also made it clear, and ekt-bear supported me and explained better, that a clean break is not possible. No illusions about that

If there are contrary opinions to the list, from you or anyone else, let us discuss. Remove the places you think are not MB from the list presented and inform other forumists why they cannot be part of my fantasy as you call it. My ultimate aim is to also learn from you and have a better understanding

If you do not agree with the MB concept, what is your alternative apart from the status quo? Because I do not think what we have is working

Not that I do not agree with your concept, but I strongly believe you are insincere in your assessment and proposal. To every discerning mind, the fundamental problem in Northern Nigeria is the religious difference. I do not have to repeat what others wrote earlier but you have to look at all the issues objectively.

I am certain, in Plataeu State, if the Biroms and Angas were Muslims, there wouldn't have been any sectarian (religious) crises. Similarly if the Hausas were Christians.

You talked about some ethnic groups (Sayawa) in Bauchi retaining their cultural heritage? What cultural heritage? The only reason why the Sayawa are different from other ethnic groups in Bauchi is because they are Christians and the others Muslims. There is no cultural heritage left in Northern Nigeria - you are either Christian or Muslim, both of which are imported religions.

Places like Nasarawa, Adamawa, Taraba are mix-and-match and I cannot see how you will ever achieve your object of separating them from the rest of Northern Nigeria.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 8:04pm On Jan 29, 2012
^^^^
@ Tsiya

So why are the Igbos always disagreeing with the Ijaws? Or why did the Midwest seek separation from the Yoruba? Why are the Shiites and Sunnis of Iraq bombing themselves?

This proposal is based on MINORITY vs MAJORITY. If my proposal is insincere, what is your sincere proposal?

By the way, please do not reduce it to Karfe's personal objective because it is much bigger than that

I am open to your proposals, but so far you have only been trying to shoot down the idea without providing any alternatives
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Tsiya(m): 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2012
This has nothing to do with Igbo, Ijaw, or Sunni vs Shiites.

The Northern Nigerian and MB issue is fundamentally different from others, and therefore we should look at the problems and proffer solutions based on our unique problems.

I am not shooting down your idea, however, for somebody trying to find solution for 70 million people and over 100 years of conflict, you will agree with me that any proposal presented need to be debated to avoid creating a much bigger problem. I am by all means open to finding a permanent settlement to the crises in Northern Nigeria, the larger problem of national unity.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Nobody: 7:54pm On Feb 01, 2012
karfe:

This thread has tried to identify all the areas which may or may not be part of the MIDDLE BELT (CENTRAL) REGION

Non-Yoruba Kwara
Non-Yoruba Kogi
Benue
Niger
Nasarawa
Plateau
Taraba
Adamawa
Southern Kaduna
Southern Kebbi
Southern Bauchi
Southern Gombe
Southern Borno (not sure)

It would be useful if MB persons, and other Nigerians could identify which regions should be removed from the list or retained. It would also be useful to hear the views of Hausa-Fulani and Kanuri persons who come from these areas or from the Far North

For those from the Yoruba parts of Kwara and Kogi, please state if these areas should be part of the MB
I think the areas I have striked through should be removed from the MB list.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 01, 2012
jamace:

OP
Thanks for coming up with this eye-opener and clarion call for self-actualisation by the MB of Nigeria.

First, I have never liked that name "North Central" for the MB because the MB are not geographically in the centre of the North but in the centre of Nigeria. Therefore the correct nomenclature would have been "Central Nigeria" or "Middle Belt of Nigeria". I feel the Hausa/Fulani were just bent on using that region as a tool for political weight that's why they tagged it "North Central" to make it part of the North by fire by force.

Now that the situations on ground have called for immediate independence of the MB people, I want the MB states to denounce the name "North Central" and go for "Central Nigeria". The MB should  opt out of the so-call 19 Northern States Governors Forum or Arewa Consultative Forum. These organisations are subtle ways in which the H/F continue to hold onto the MB as political ally while in the actual fact they are mere tools to be used and dumped by the H/F.

Like the poster above me rightly observed, it is only the MB that has no militant group, which is very necessary in the contemporary Nigeria for self identity.
The UMBF should make hay while the sun shines and establish themselves as a formidable political group with a true self identity. This umbrella body can now have a political stake and identity in the present political turpsy-turvy in Nigeria and should things go hey-wire, can easily declare autonomy and have a solid foundation for further poliitical agitations/growth.

Very well said.It is not a coincidence that the MB is fragmented by Nigerias political arrangement.Taraba and Adamawa are in NE,Southern Kaduna in NW,Plateau and Benue in NC.This is a continuation of lord lugards divide and rule policy by the descendants of usman dan fodio to make sure the indigenous tribes in MB are not able to work together or speak with one voice.But such fragmentation should not stop MBelters from working together for the common purpose of freedom of MB people from hausa/fulani domination.
Nasarawa and Adamawa should also join Plateau,Southern Kaduna,Taraba,Benue in forming,funding,arming a strong MB militant group but membership of this group/groups must not include hausa/fulani/kanuri.Another option for Southern Gombe and Southern Bauchi if merger is not possible is for Southern Gombe to be transferred to Adamawa and Southern Bauchi[sayawa people of bogoro and tafawa balewa local govt areas and other non-hausa/fulani tribes] transfered to Plateau State as Karfe suggested on this thread.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 9:32am On Feb 02, 2012
@ Chima12,

Borgu (Bariba & Busa) and Lafiagi-Pategi (Nupe) parts of Kwara will probably not go to Odu'a with the rest of Kwara

Niger is made up of Nupe, Gbagyi, Kamberi, Kamuku with some Hausa. It is Middle Belt in my book

Zuru (Southern Kebbi) are Middle Belt. They were originally in Niger Province but later were grouped into Sokoto Province

@ jamace and chima12

I am not comfortable with the idea of a militant group. Due to the religious and ethnic multiplicity in the MB, this will eventually contribute to instability as a result of proliferation of arms. MB autonomy has to be won, as much as possible, peacefully and by compromise between its peoples and those of other regions
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 9:44am On Feb 02, 2012
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 4:10pm On Feb 02, 2012
Find attached map as a guide. Places in grey are MB areas attached to the Core North. In red are the Yoruba areas of Kwara and Kogi

Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 4:14pm On Feb 02, 2012
Simplified ethnic map

Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 3:22pm On Feb 04, 2012
BBC Analysis

Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by edoyad(m): 7:32pm On Feb 04, 2012
Nice Map! How in heavens carnation did places like Kogi and Benue end up as north? grin
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 10:19pm On Feb 04, 2012
edoyad:

Nice Map! How in heavens carnation did places like Kogi and Benue end up as north? grin

Some long dead cartographers have questions to answer! grin

See:
http://www.uni.edu/gai/Nigeria/Background/Standard5.html

See two quotes from above web page:
In simple terms, the country has three basic regions, a concentrated Muslim area in the North, a concentrated Christian area in the South and a region of transition in the central "middle belt" region. The southwestern Yorubaland also has a sizable Muslim minority that comprises one-third of the population.

A good example of a heterogeneous cultural region is the "middle belt" region. This east-west zone in central Nigeria is composed of dozens of small minority ethnic groups. This region is also part of the zone of transition between the Christian south and the Muslim north.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by ektbear: 10:50pm On Feb 04, 2012
edoyad:

Demons from hell called the British
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by aletheia(m): 11:47pm On Feb 04, 2012
ekt_bear:

grin grin grin

karfe:

Zuru (Southern Kebbi) are Middle Belt.
^
A friend of mine who spent some time in Kebbi state tells me that the Hausa are not indigenous to Kebbi state and that Non-Hausa are actually the majority there.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 8:59am On Feb 05, 2012
aletheia:

A friend of mine who spent some time in Kebbi state tells me that the Hausa are not indigenous to Kebbi state and that Non-Hausa are actually the majority there.

You are right. They are mainly descendants of the Songhai and Kebbi empires (Kotal Kanta). However, their culture is more of Hausa these days, even though they still bear those distinguishing facial marks. Even Zuru will eventually become Hausa due to association.

If you see a detailed ethnic map of Bauchi and Gombe at www.ethnologue.com, you would be surprised that most of the area was originally not Hausa, but today only a few peoples are not yet Hausanized
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 6:07pm On Feb 05, 2012
ekt_bear:

Now that the demons have gone, we must set the records straight. Even Scotland is hoping to secede someday from the UK. Its only the autonomy they enjoy that prevents them from being more aggresive about their ambitions. Infact, until recently, I thought Scotland was a country of its own! smiley

I think the model of the British Isles, including Republic of Ireland (sovereign country), would be good for us. I believe even with autonomy, the various regions should be able to secede if they are no longer comfortable with the union

Going for a conference with a caveat of not being able to discuss secession options would make being part of Nigeria a burden
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 12, 2012
I just got information that a new law has been passed in bauchi state which allows  the governor to change local govt HQs  in bauchi state.The target is believed to be toro lga.It is alleged that the governor wants to remove the lg HQs from a christian dominated area to a moslem dominated area.This is even one more reason why parts of southern bauchi need to work towards leaving bauchi state and joining plateau state.
   As for southern gombe,they should seriously work towards leaving gombe and joining adamawa state.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by ektbear: 8:55am On Feb 14, 2012
chima12:

I just got information that a new law has been passed in bauchi state which allows  the governor to change local govt HQs  in bauchi state.The target is believed to be toro lga.It is alleged that the governor wants to remove the lg HQs from a christian dominated area to a moslem dominated area.This is even one more reason why parts of southern bauchi need to work towards leaving bauchi state and joining plateau state.
   As for southern gombe,they should seriously work towards leaving gombe and joining adamawa state.

LG hqs are in the constitution, aren't they?
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 6:28pm On Mar 04, 2012
Non-Yoruba Kwara
Non-Yoruba Kogi
Benue
Niger
Nasarawa
Plateau
Taraba
Adamawa
Southern Kaduna
Southern Kebbi
Southern Bauchi
Southern Gombe
Southern Borno (not sure)
FCT
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 10:39pm On May 28, 2012
http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/d_gleanernewsonline/madaki.html

Our Anger With Hausa-Fulani --- Yohanna Madaki

Since the debacle that led to the eventual removal of the then Emir of Muri in 1986, Colonel Yohanna Madaki has not been the same. As Madaki who was then governor of the defunct Gongola State recalls, "that decision was seen as revolutionary, they could not understand why a Bajju like me, an arne should have the affront to remove a Fulani Emir who had the power of life and death." He may have also ruffled some shoulders when he earlier embarked on the tortuous historic journey to Alantika Mountains which eventually thrust the plight of the Koma, a people still living in their pristine state into national discourse. For his effrontery, Madaki got booted out of the military. He was dismissed from the Army but this was later converted to retirement by the regime of General Ibrahim Babangida.

Since then Madaki, also a lawyer has been enmeshed in the struggle for the emancipation of what he perceived as the oppressed and pauperised people of the Middle Belt from the stranglehold of the Hausa Fulani ruling class. He discusses this and other issues in this interview with TONY IYARE at a forum in Lagos, which also featured some other leaders of the political zone like Mr Isaac Shaahu, a former leader of opposition in the defunct Northern House of Assembly, Commodore Dan Suleiman, chieftain of the National Democratic Coalition (NADECO) and Colonel Mohammed Onuka, who both held forte as military helmsmen in old Plateau and Edo states. Excerpts:

Why are the people of the Middle Belt asking for reparation in spite of the fact that they were not confronted by the same problems of the Igbo whose human and material losses during the Civil War cannot be quantified?.

The position of the Igbo is distinct from that of the Middle Belt because it has existed as a region. The problems of the Middle Belt, has not been opened to the outside world. The only information about the area came during the time of Joseph Tarka when there was a dissenting voice that the concept of a big North will not allow the development of people with distinct identity, which the colonialists themselves conspired to suppress. The colonial masters believed that if they could not own Nigeria, at least they could own the North. Today with greater awareness, this struggle is now a reality. Whatever the people of the Middle Belt do to realise themselves is justified. At the end of the day, I don't see the Igbo succeeding in that kind of claim but specific claims by organisations and individuals may be feasible. But claims in that magnitude (6 trillion Naira) is going to be difficult to articulate. The idea of one big North cannot be sustained. It is important for people to appreciate why we are holding on to this position.

What makes the people of the Middle Belt different?

Sometimes when I talk I say it is a racial issue. If you were dropped in the Middle Belt and in Sokoto, Gusau, Kano or Katsina, you see the distinction in several ways-language, socio-cultural setting, religion, physical features and even geography. The belt maintains a stretch North of the South, South of the North and that belt cuts across even rainfall and vegetation. The reality is that it cannot be mistaken. The white men were quick to identify the distinctiveness and classified it as a non Muslim group. This awareness is not only to children but to everybody who have been able to survive the discriminations over the years.

Why was it necessary to discriminate against your people?

At the beginning, it became clear that if the people of the Middle Belt are united, they will pose a serious challenge to the Hausa-Fulani group that the British had some understanding with. The British told the Hausa-Fulani that we'll leave you as you are, we will not interfere with your culture and religion but help us to rule. And the Hausa Fulani said, help us to subjugate this people (the people of the Middle Belt) to make it conducive for us to rule. So education was denied to our people. It was a policy to deny education but because it was a necessary instrument of colonialism, people were taught to read and write in Hausa in order to make them pay for tax. Because the Middle Belt was in the hinterland, there was no cash economy. That is not to say that trade did not take place. Going to a missionary school attracted tax besides the general tax imposed on all male of 15 years and above. Besides that, if a child was allowed to go to school, his parents were tasked. You can say it was just one pound but how do you raise one pound? If that is for buying yourself for taxation on education, you have to raise money several times. Instead of preventing you from going to school, taxes were imposed. Secondly our people formed the bulk of soldiers recruited to fight for the British in the First and Second World Wars and formed a large chunk of the labour force that built the railway. The Kachia railway was built on slave labour. Every family must send a male child to build the railway. The same goes for the building of the city wall in Zaria for instance. The war largely depleted the population. I don't want to extend it to the period of slavery when the Arab slave traders invaded the hinterland. These were our lot until JS Tarka raised the banner of the people. Don't forget that a major draw back is that the people do not speak one language. The struggle is more pronounced in the Tiv area because they have a large population that speak same language and fought the war. So the Middle Belt was subdued through denial of education which is a singular vehicle of conveying social progress.

But why this divergent of opinion in the Middle Belt on how to forge ahead?

The pace of development by the different peoples is different and the issues have to get to them by they experiencing this oppression. Some groups are so small for their language to disappear and their culture subverted. The Tiv language for instance is spoken widely, no Tiv child is known to have lost his language. But some of the other ethnic groups are as small as six thousand with an unwritten language, with no access to iron smelting. Survival itself was hinged on trade by hand. Trade was impaired. The development is not uniform. Some see the invasion in their culture, some do not see it. Religion has also imposed differences in the lives of the people.

How did religion impose differences in the lives of the people?

We see Christianity and Islam as countering each other. In the Middle Belt area, if one becomes a Muslim, he becomes a different person. He doesn't marry within his own group. Even the converts see their own way of life from what they know. When people do that, it brings about differences in culture and appreciation. One religion preaches obedience and dependency, the other does not.

Why is this so because differences in religion, which is also prevalent among the Yoruba does not seem to have affected their cohesiveness? Here (Middle Belt), religion has affected culture.

You know once you become a Muslim, you become a different person. You no longer appreciate your culture. The Yoruba speak one language even though in different dialects. Because of their sheer size, the culture remain strong and binding. That's why the Yoruba Muslim is different from theHausa Muslim. For instance, the Maguzawa who were the original inhabitants of Sokoto, Northern Zaria, Katsina and Kano before the Fulani came, still keep their culture. If a Maguzawa is converted to Christianity, his children are seized, his wife is taken away, he is then taken to the sharia court. They are like the red Indians of America. Today, a large population of the Yoruba, are Muslims but they have not deviated from their culture. That's why they see the celebration of Xmas and Sallah as mere festivities. The Middle Belt has abandoned the celebration of Dodo. There is variety in the culture of the Yoruba. Even the Yoruba in Diaspora share the same culture. The accent remains. The Middle Belt is not a nation. It is made up of nationalities. But all these differences are being taken care off. As technology influences society, so is the awareness. Middle Belters have accepted education but because of the deliberate policy of denying them access to key economic area, they are largely pauperised.

Has military rule not redressed that given your number? A large chunk of members of the armed forces who have dominated power have come from this region. The thinking is that they've been able to turn around the fortunes of your people through this process.

The fact is that the Middle Belt didn't join the army as a means of assertion but as a means of employment and to show manhood. For the people themselves, the coming into the army did not produce any awareness. Although Gen Yakubu Gowon became Head of State, he never saw himself as a Middle Belter because of what he got. It would be difficult if the Middle Belt were a nation. For instance the nucleus of the first 100 army of Nigeria, were people from prison. How did they get to prison? They were either taken prisoners through skirmishes of the white man or the drive for taxation. The white people had to fight pockets of groups. The army itself was not seen as an instrument for fighting its own struggle. The Hausa-Fulani took interest in the military only after the Civil War and they joined as the ruling class. The Hausa-Fulani themselves had made the mistake of integrating the people.

Why do you have groups in the Middle Belt engaging in skirmishes against each other? Why was it impossible to end the bloodbath between the Tiv and Jukun in Wukari; Jukun, Chamba and Kuteb in Takum which went on for a long time? The same with the recent disturbances involving the Bajju and Ikulu

The story of the Jukun is different. It has been an empire that extended as far as Kano. If the Jukun has been able to establish a successful empire like Danfodio did, it would have been different. The Middle Belters see himself as Bajju, Ikulu, Zar, Idoma and so on. The kind of skirmishes prevalent amongst groups in the Middle Belt also happens among the cow and town Fulani resulting in the loss of lives. The issue between Ikulu and Bajju is small but blown out of proportion by the media.

The Middle Belt appear to be in a process of self redefinition with many groups discarding their old names and taking on new identities. Why is this so?

Even this conversion and the change of their original names were part of the process of assimilation of a people to be used. The names were derogatory and represented a corruption of the people. As the people begin to keep records, they started to ask questions. This awareness was in proportion to the degree of oppression. Once you find someone who has escaped from this people, they redefine themselves. The youth begin to ask questions. One is happy that even the Hausa-Fulani seem to have begun to accept these changes

What future do you visualise for the Middle Belt?

There is need for awareness in education. When people are hungry, the survival instincts are re-inforced. When the relationship grows, religion will be relegated. The North will have to accept the Middle Belt as a distinct people. The South will also have to accept the Middle Belt as a different people. The original Hausa man is still a minority. What you have is a Fulani race whose language has disappeared and now wears a new identity. The Maguzawa who are the original Hausa are still there. As long as democracy thrives, so long wll tension from ethnic and religious differences give way. In the future, one can see the birth of a nation

How far do you think the creation of chiefdoms can go in resolving the perennial schism between the Hausa-Fulani and Middle Belt groups?

All that resistance to the creation of separate chiefdoms for these groups, have been resolved in terms of truth. The policy began by the government of Col Jafaru Isa has been improved upon by the new administration in Kaduna State. There is no ethnic group in Kaduna today that does not have its own chiefdom. When Tarka fought, they gave the Middle Belt a state. Today they have their chiefdoms, even though it took the form of war. I would not say that it's because they fought but because there has been a protracted struggle involving other people. Usually when there's war between the Hausa-Fulani and these groups, it spills to the city of Kaduna and the federal government itself will be concerned. It is just like the Palestinians and the Israelis. A lot of progress is being made. Some may look at it and say, what are you doing? Even the Emir of Zaria did not start as first class chief. He started as a third class chief. The chief of Kagoro is a first class chief.

How do you see the Middle Belt developing in this scenario?

There has been a tremendous progress. It was from a position of knowing nothing to fast development. From the process of imposing taxation, on people going to school, to our having Middle Belt universities. When the country almost went into disarray, it was the Middle Belt and the Midwest that facilitated the country remaining one today. Development will come. The human being is created in such a way that change is continous. One of the reasons for sacking Gowon was that he was not yielding to pressure. The Middle Belt struggle has yielded dividend. Their role in the military led to the split of the North that many thought was impossible. The struggle has done a lot. Isaac Boroh was sentenced to death only to have a stadium named after him. You cannot kill the struggle of a people.

You are one of the advocates of a National Conference. In what way will adequate representation of your people be guaranteed at such a forum?

I don't want to use the word equal representation but proportional representation. In whatever way you do it, let people feel that they are part of it. What a National Conference is to resolve is the issue of sharing the national cake. These issues have to be pieced together. The Middle Belt has made tremendous progress. From a position where there was no information about the people to a situation where they are now foisted on national discourse. The Hausa-Fulani has a reason to fight because they see themselves loosing the grip of power. But at the end of the day, Nigeria will be a nation where religion will be thing of the mind. That period is coming.

Don't you think you will need a media organ for the propagation of the feelings and aspirations of your people? Are you thinking of establishing a newspaper with a bias for the Middle Belt?

We are already discussing a proposal for the establishment of a media organ to articulate our views. The same resistance that was in the case of education have been experienced in this area. For the person who dominates, the less informed the person he dominates, the better for him. More important is the readership. The reading habit has not been sufficiently cultivated. A person who has not eaten cannot afford 70 Naira to buy newspaper. He does not produce, so he does not advertise. When I established the Weekly Scope, they asked me why when we had the New Nigerian. The Standard set up by the government of Joseph Gomwalk was killed by the Federal Government under General Ibrahim Babangida. I want to assure you that not too long from now, there will be a voice. It is the low readership that is not forcing the allocation of resources to that area. (Isaac Shaahu interjects) In those days of the United Middle Belt Congress UMBC, copies of its organ, the Icharegh were usually sold out because its focus was the struggle of the people. So if we set up a newspaper in that mould, it will attract readership.

Why do you think there's so much ignorance in the South about the Middle Belt?

The South has to cure itself of the ignorance and wrong perception that every one from the North is Hausa-Fulani. For instance during the Civil War, the strategy of Biafra led by Odumegwu Ojukwu in attacking areas like Shendam, Makurdi, Panshin, Gboko and so on was wrong. If Ojukwu who was in Kano understood the Middle Belt politics, he would not have attacked those areas. He was so blinded by the fact that he and Gowon were classmates at Sandurst. If Ojukwu had reached out to the Middle Belt, I was controlling a battalion in Zaria, I would have removed the Emir of Zaria. There was an event in Kaduna which Dr Alex Ekwueme was to feature originally. But his name had to be dropped for Ojukwu because people were no longer comfortable with Ekwueme's views at the Constitutional Conference set up by the government of General Sani Abacha. But Ojukwu came there and was drumming support for Abacha saying if anybody touched the general there would be trouble. Ojukwu was even in London on behalf of Abacha.

The removal of the then Emir of Muri in 1986 led to your sack from the Army. This was later converted to retirement by the regime of General Ibrahim Babangida. On a hindsight if you are faced with a similar situation, will you still remove the Emir?.

I would have sacked the Emir of Muri several times more. It's the council of chiefs that actually removed the Emir. I addressed the council of chiefs about the wrong doings of the Emir and they approved his removal as Emir of Muri which was ratified by me as governor.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Matlab: 12:34am On Jul 22, 2012
edoyad: Nice Map! How in heavens carnation did places like Kogi and Benue end up as north? grin
First, I apologise for my use of language...and for having 'effing' idiots trying to decide about my fate, mine.
You did not decide my fate when I was born and it has nothing to do with all your fancies. I am from Kogi State, of Ebira Origin and from a spot that Lord Lugard deemed suitable as the capital of northern Nigeria and later that of Nigeria. I share no similarities with my neighbouring tribes except that we share more in common with the greatr pops; Igala for Ibo & Hausa/idoma and Ebira with Yoruba & Hausa. All your bickerings on this sare absolutley futile, core north and middle belt are all your fancies in divisions that get you nowhere...and no model you propose os viable across slices of race/religion....so pls....back-off!
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Matlab: 12:37am On Jul 22, 2012
Matlab:
First, I apologise for my use of language...and for having 'effing' idiots trying to decide about my fate, mine.
You did not decide my fate when I was born and it has nothing to do with all your fancies. I am from Kogi State, of Ebira Origin and from a spot that Lord Lugard deemed suitable as the capital of northern Nigeria and later that of Nigeria. I share no similarities with my neighbouring tribes except that we share more in common with the greatr pops; Igala for Ibo & Hausa/idoma and Ebira with Yoruba & Hausa. All your bickerings on this sare absolutley futile, core north and middle belt are all your fancies in divisions that get you nowhere...and no model you propose os viable across slices of race/religion....so pls....back-off!

PS: to Muslim haters; pretend you know the bible better and explain the xteristics of those mentioned in the revelations as the lost at the end-days, if it fits a Muslim, holla back
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Matlab: 12:40am On Jul 22, 2012
karfe: Find attached map as a guide. Places in grey are MB areas attached to the Core North. In red are the Yoruba areas of Kwara and Kogi
SMH slowly! Karfe, nice mapping....wd get your frustrations nowhere, get creative and build bridges rather than chalk-up divides you don't understand
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by patanjaly: 7:12pm On Oct 25, 2012
The reason why middle belt will not see d light is because those minority tribes have nothing in common either interms of religion or ethnicity. N the funny part is dat they speak hausa the lang of d people they want to run away from.

1 Like

Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 4:49pm On Jun 02, 2013
More responses required. Contemporary politics has still not carved a clear stand on where the middle belt boundaries are....
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by KnowAll(m): 6:13pm On Jun 02, 2013
In the light of recent events in the polity, it is imperative that I continue to explain the make-up of the MB area. I see a situation where some boundaries will have to be agreed between the various regions and peoples of Nigeria

NASARAWA STATE:

This state is just north of the Benue river and north east of the Niger-Benue confluence. It is erroneously thought by a lot of Nigerians to be a core north state.

To give a brief summary, there are settlements of Hausa-Fulani (KEFFI) and Kanuri (LAFIA) which have come to dominate the political landscape of the area since the jihad. However, a lot of small ethnic groups can be found in this 13-LGA state which do not belong to the above groups

Most prominent of these are the Gbagyi (again), Bassa, Ebira (again), Alago, Mada and Eggon. Alago is closely related to Idoma, mainly found in Benue State

My take is that these groups would be of a greater population than the core north groups which can be found in the state
(Quote) (Report) (Like)

You got it right,it looks like the Eggons are preparing themselves getting out of the yoke of their Hausa / Fulani tormentors going by recent events in that state. I see a different outcome in 2015 where indigenous groups would gain power from the Hausa / Fulani.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 7:33pm On Jun 02, 2013
KnowAll:

You got it right,it looks like the Eggons are preparing themselves getting out of the yoke of their Hausa / Fulani tormentors going by recent events in that state. I see a different outcome in 2015 where indigenous groups would gain power from the Hausa / Fulani.

It is difficult to know the relative numerical strengths of the Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri and each of the other communities in some middle belt states. Their combined population is expected to be far more than that of the HFK. However, what is most important is that we have a society in which these other groups can aspire to the highest political and educational levels. As long as the North is seen as a monolith, it would be difficult for this to happen on a national scale

As for what will happen in 2015, remember that the previous governor was an Alago man, the one before that was from Keffi (do not know his ethnicity), so Nasarawa may not really be a case requiring ethnic emancipation.

1 Like

Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 10:44pm On Jun 02, 2013
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Matlab: 9:52am On Sep 20, 2013
Sadly...in a scenario break up of Nigeria...i see the worst for this MB region as it wont split in two; but probably over six!. Credit goes to Hausa language for the union, Fulani for the coordination....fighting back doesn't fuse diverse cultures from these influences...never has worked in history for any nation. Wake up and understand all parties in Africa's very own embarrassment (Nigeria)
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Matlab: 12:07pm On Sep 27, 2013
I am Ebira and from the region closest to Yorubaland....so stop assuming that we have no brains. Ebira peoples are not Yoruba and would rather trust things as they are than play as the only minority living with the Yoruba; who can't handle diversity of the country let alone a region....Oloorun Maa je!

bashr8: list the states in the middle belt and their ethnic make up, i believe kogi have the egbiras who can easily join yorubas and the southeastern igala who share similarieties,names and cultures with the igbo and a few others that are similar to the edos.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Matlab: 12:13pm On Sep 27, 2013
dont blame the jihad...u the yoruba are the sower of baseless enmity...crying over ilorin, a place that used to be my state

ekt_bear: Basically, despite being different groups with different languages and cultures, you middle belt peoples (and we Yoruba, for that matter) have a common enemy.

The Fulani and the Hausa.

All of us, our history to some extent has been defined by combating this Sokoto Caliphate. And 200+ years later, the battle is not yet won. The struggle continues.

That I think is enough to define common interest.

And until this Sokoto Caliphate and their descendants/allies are completely destroyed, we have to stick together.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Benue Killings: Jang Blasts Lalong Over Comments Against Ortom / House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal / Gej's Delegation To Brazil Is World's Largest - SaharaReporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.