Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology (20103 Views)

Poll: Which of these is the best federal structure for nigeria

Current (36 states and 1 FCT): 0% (0 votes)
6 Regions from geo-political zones: 0% (0 votes)
5 regions based on Far North, Middle Belt, Deep South, Yoruba and Igbo: 100% (1 vote)
Splitting (2-10 new countries): 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Yoruba Leaders Insist On True Federalism- SS/biafra's False Impression debunked / National Conference Adopts True Federalism For Nigeria / Aguiyi-ironsi Killed True Federalism In Nigeria, Says Ishola Williams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by londonstreetboy: 1:45am On Jan 06, 2017
Some may ask what actually unites us MB or what common factor do we share together. Well ... my answer is that keep religion asides using uniting factor, any group that feels disfranchised with the Arewa ideology and a detest for the segregations made by the majorities in the North. MB groups have all been affected by Herdsmen attacks which has only grown worse recently and will not stop until we stand up for ourselves. All of us are suspicious of Hausa/Fulani men who are populating our city centres and are causing all kinds of clashes. Most of all, most of us dont support the almajiri system of education which is counterproductive. We love prosperity and wan our children to be successful in life so we send them to schools and other institutions. We dont want them to be killed by an uneducated idiot who has been brainwashed since child hood. So that is why we need to unite and raise alarm, let people know we are not weak. If theres an attack in any MB community let us show them they dont stand alone in this. Hausa fulani may have control over government but we ahve the media to our advantage. It hurts to see people unconcerned when theres an attack on one of our communities. It has to stop!!
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 7:38am On Jan 06, 2017
Hi Londonstreetboy. It's never too late while there's life. However, the lives are been lost very fast. Nigeria has never truly negotiated it's philosophy of nationhood as it affects the various peoples and that is what is resulting in our current state

This thread was an attempt to identify those who may identify as Middle Belt peoples. It does not look like there are many who are deeply passionate about it. For this reason, it is easy to be isolated and oppressed while others look on, uninterested. Unfortunately, political influence in Nigeria is viewed as 3 Southern zones plus one large Northern zone. Hence, the MB voice is subdued

With respect to Southern Kaduna, there is no common voice of Middle Belt people fighting it. Only SOKAPU is doing an isolated resistance. Same thing happened with Agatu

I pray the Middle Belt wakes up before it is too late
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by londonstreetboy: 12:16pm On Jan 06, 2017
It does not look like there are many who are deeply passionate about it. For this reason, it is easy to be isolated and oppressed while others look on, uninterested. Unfortunately, political influence in Nigeria is viewed as 3 Southern zones plus one large Northern zone. Hence, the MB voice is subdued.
Things have to change drastically. The first thing is a massive awareness to people and educate them on our pastand the mistakes our fathers made. This would be among MB intellectuals and youths. They in turn will inform the masses and you will see that it would affect our approach towards elections and other political affairs. I know Nigerians especially Middle Beltans love their lives too much to risk it, but we have to let them know that there's no happy ending to this. We are left with 2 choices Its either we die fighting or we die like chickens. I believe something can be done. I'm an optimistist, though it wold be hard and may take time, but it will happen. The kilings and recent recessions in Nigeria are catalysts to this process.
We need an umbrella group with lots of funding and political affiliations. Pressure groups thatwould pressure politicians that do not represent our interest at heart. Also groups that would influence our politicians to push for a separate zones that would represent us at the federal levl.
When I say massive awareness I mean it. A group that would take our stories to the media. A group that shouts louder than Biafra agitors and Niger delta militants. Thats what we need.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 06, 2017
^^^What part of the MB are you from and what ethnicity?

Not to sound too pessimist but i don't think the Middlebelt can ever break from the North or get any truly unique seperate identity. Not possible with how Nigeria is setup. Remember Ahmadu Bello?
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by londonstreetboy: 5:52pm On Jan 06, 2017
It can but sadly not without bloodshed and support from other parts of the country. All we need is a strong action group that will speak out and protect our people. A highly sponsored group that would take our plight to a whole new level. A group that is mad and angry.
I reside in jos but am originally from Abuja though my mom is Plateau.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 06, 2017
londonstreetboy:
It can but sadly not without bloodshed and support from other parts of the country. All we need is a strong action group that will speak out and protect our people. A highly sponsored group that would take our plight to a whole new level. A group that is mad and angry.
I reside in jos but am originally from Abuja though my mom is Plateau.

Okay. I feel for some of you guys in the MB.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by londonstreetboy: 6:19pm On Jan 06, 2017
iSlayer2 - i've heard traditions on how the Jos people resisted the jihadists precolonial era. I've even seen a place where legend has it that they came with their horses and attempted climbing the rocks but the Jos people fought them back with rocks and spears till they were pushed back. If we resisted then we can resist now.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by delpee(f): 8:42pm On Jan 06, 2017
Very interesting and educative thread! I can see it started from the days of thought provoking and sensible posts on Nairaland. Great days indeed!

@londonstreetboy
I wish you the very best. I pray that the people of the Middle Belt are able to live together in peace irrespective of tribe and religion.

The Yoruba experience...
After many years of wars, a settlement brought Ijeshas, Ekitis, Egbas, Ijebus, Oyos, Ife, Ondos, Aworis etc together as Yorubas till today. Many who became refugees as a result of the war were assimilated in new locations as long as they agreed to live peacefully e.g. the Owus scattered in different directions but mostly towards Abeokuta. There are distinct cultures, dialects and religion but we have learnt to live in peace to a larger extent. Problems still come up e.g. the more recent Ife/ Modakeke war. Somehow solutions are found with prayers and a genuine will to continue to live in peace. The willingness to subdue minority interests for group interest is key. Without peace,there is no progress.

I hope the different minority tribes in the Middle Belt can come together to agree on how to have a common bond other than tribe or religion. As long as those two factors play a major role in decision making, it will be difficult to find a lasting solution. May God guide and uphold you all as you strive for peaceful coexistence.
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by londonstreetboy: 12:04pm On Jan 07, 2017
@delpee - what are the Yoruba's general perception of the Hausa/Fulani domination of Nigeria
Re: Towards True Federalism: Middle Belt Ideology by karfe(m): 11:29pm On Jan 20, 2018

Non-Yoruba Kwara
Non-Yoruba Kogi
Benue
Niger
Nasarawa
Plateau
Taraba
Adamawa
Southern Kaduna
Southern Kebbi
Southern Bauchi
Southern Gombe
Southern Borno

Middle Belters, are we still sleeping? We must face the reality or be extinguished forever! We hold the key to the making or marring of Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why US May Give Atiku Visa – Keyamo / Buhari Didn’t Need NJC To Appoint Me – Acting CJN / FFK Celebrates His Daughter, Folake's Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.