Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:46 PM

How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. (11296 Views)

Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? / The Entire Bible From Genesis To Revelation Covered In Sand Painting / I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by buzugee(m): 8:40pm On May 24, 2011
did you enjoy it ? do you see nigeria in any of the storys ?
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Beaf: 9:01pm On May 24, 2011
I did, including the preface. . . And said goodbye to Christianity forever. No regrets.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by tpia5: 9:03pm On May 24, 2011
^^thank you, bye bye.

your rant has been done to death over and over again.

you dont get a prize for posts such as those.

kindly go back to harassing people or whatever it is you say you do on nl.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by buzugee(m): 9:11pm On May 24, 2011
Beaf:

I did, including the preface. . . And said goodbye to Christianity forever. No regrets.
funny enough i have met so many people with your exact sentiments. care to share exactly how, or what in the bible turned you into an atheist ?
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by buzugee(m): 9:14pm On May 24, 2011
tpia@:

^^thank you, bye bye.

your rant has been done to death over and over again.

you dont get a prize for posts such as those.

kindly go back to harassing people or whatever it is you say you do on nl.
me or beaf ? embarassed
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by tpia5: 9:23pm On May 24, 2011
beaf.

if i had a euro for everytime i've seen or heard that type of comment, i'd be treating myself to something nice.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by SEFAGO(m): 9:33pm On May 24, 2011
buzugee:

did you enjoy it ? do you see nigeria in any of the storys ?

I have, nice book. Beats Harry Potter.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by buzugee(m): 9:45pm On May 24, 2011
tpia@:

beaf.

if i had a euro for everytime i've seen or heard that type of comment, i'd be treating myself to something nice.
lmao. i hear ya though
SEFAGO:

I have, nice book. Beats Harry Potter.
grin cavalier and haughty yet comedic
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Beaf: 9:52pm On May 24, 2011
buzugee:

funny enough i have met so many people with your exact sentiments. care to share exactly how, or what in the bible turned you into an atheist ?

I'm not an atheist, just non-religious.
You will be shocked that there can be so many contradictions in single book. Its ridiculous; from contradictions in the sequence of creation to contradictions about the events at Jesus resurrection (number of angels, where and when things happened) etc.
It is a lot like the Nigeria we are determined to rebuild, a stark lie. If you took it to court as evidence, you will be severely compromising your case.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by SEFAGO(m): 9:56pm On May 24, 2011
Beaf:

I'm not an atheist, just non-religious.
You will be shocked that there can be so many contradictions in single book. Its ridiculous; from contradictions in the sequence of creation to contradictions about the events at Jesus resurrection (number of angels, where and when things happened) etc.
It is a lot like the Nigeria we are determined to rebuild, a stark lie. If you took it to court as evidence, you will be severely compromising your case.

Not if you have faith.

Oh ye of little faith.

The contradictions you see are only because you are being deceived by the devil
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by tpia5: 9:59pm On May 24, 2011
buzugee:

cavalier

haha

i find his attempts to build that persona quite amusing.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by houvest: 10:24pm On May 24, 2011
@ beaf. If those are really contradictions why do you think so many billions still believe it? Why have so many millions died because of and for it? You really think they were all foolish or were blinded by faith ? Have you actually given the Bible the benefit of doubt and sat down to consider the resolution of what you considered contradictions? If you are directed to studies that have done that will you now return to the faith? Saying that you bade farewell to christianity because of unresolved issues in your bible study without seeking other opinions does not sound convincing. You are however entitled to your faith or lack of it as the consequences are yours alone but if you are actually a sincere seeker of truth, you should not shut the door just yet till that search is completed.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Ibime(m): 10:30pm On May 24, 2011
I've read the bible at least five times from cover to cover, but as a kid, I never read the book of Revelations at night cos it was always followed by bad dreams!
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by dayokanu(m): 10:34pm On May 24, 2011
After SSCE I read the bible from cover to cover several times
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by SEFAGO(m): 10:43pm On May 24, 2011
Ibime:

I've read the bible at least five times from cover to cover, but as a kid, I never read the book of Revelations at night cos it was always followed by bad dreams!

You must be kidding? The Book of Revelations is probably the best chapter in this epic.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by MeGaStReEt: 10:46pm On May 24, 2011
lol @Beaf
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by SEFAGO(m): 10:50pm On May 24, 2011
beaf.

Gigolos are quite expensive nowadays you know. Some are running into the millions considering that fact that their is a correlation between cost of a gigolo and the attractiveness of the client.

Positive correlation of course.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Beaf: 10:54pm On May 24, 2011
SEFAGO:

Not if you have faith.

Oh ye of little faith.

The contradictions you see are only because you are being deceived by the devil

Dude, you display most of the qualities of the man I'll need to run my church, hypocricy, deciet, guile and cranial fortitude.
If you are blessed with smooth, long fingers that filch with ease, then I have a proposal for you!

. . .A new religion for the free, a cathedral to wine, lust, liberty and powdered fun. Naturally there'll be a gate fee in addition to the monthly tithe. Holy we shall be! grin
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Rhino5dm: 10:56pm On May 24, 2011
So many Anti-christ in here. . .
Why don't you start this thread in religion section? OP

"Only a fool will say there no God in his heart."

"God will use the foolish thing to confuse the wise"
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Beaf: 11:09pm On May 24, 2011
houvest:

@ beaf. If those are really contradictions why do you think so many billions still believe it? Why have so many millions died because of and for it? You really think they were all foolish or were blinded by faith ? Have you actually given the Bible the benefit of doubt and sat down to consider the resolution of what you considered contradictions? If you are directed to studies that have done that will you now return to the faith? Saying that you bade farewell to christianity because of unresolved issues in your bible study without seeking other opinions does not sound convincing. You are however entitled to your faith or lack of it as the consequences are yours alone but if you are actually a sincere seeker of truth, you should not shut the door just yet till that search is completed.

I always respect a mans reasons for their faith, thats something personal and fundamental. As for my turning away from Christianity, it was a tough journey of soul searching, questioning and seeking. I tend to be very thorough, yet in so many years there has been no answer; so I'll advice you not to read the bible from end to end if you value your faith, cos it will give you a full picture like you get from reading any book from cover to cover and like me, you will lose your faith for good.

Now, I'm content to look around me, believe there's God and conclude that I do not and cannot know the answers to the fundamental questions. For example a definition of life is fundamental to creating a manual for it, but no single person can define life objectively and empirically, neither the scientist nor the preacher. For me, its easier to concede that I don't "know" and neither does any one else.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by wesley80(m): 11:20pm On May 24, 2011
@OP,
You mean cover to cover as a religious exercise, to settle ones not necessarily religious curiousity or a chest thumping task?
I cant say I have done so personally but i doubt if there's anywhere in the good book my eyes have not seen. I personally think such an exercise no matter how well intended would easily turn to a vain exercise cos the Bible isnt some storybook or novel. To really 'read the Bible' and understand it, one needs some sort of Revelation knowledge (here's where i think Beaf got lost).

@Beaf,
I'm sorta curious. Sometime back u alluded to the fact that u believe in the existence of witches (correct me if i'm wrong). So now that u think Christianity is phoney(?), do u think Witches are the Ultimate powers out there?
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by SEFAGO(m): 11:26pm On May 24, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

So many Anti-christ in here. . .
Why don't you start this thread in religion section? OP

"Only a fool will say there no God in his heart."

"God will use the foolish thing to confuse the wise"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/may/15/stephen-hawking-interview-there-is-no-heaven

Deal with it

I would pay for the shrink that helps you deal with it.

When are we gonna start stoning adulterous women again?

Leviticus was wanna of my favorites.

I have this chick I used to date, I wanna get back at her.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 11:31pm On May 24, 2011
@poster
since people dont use their brains and would rather listen to some damn thieves in robes preaching, therefore WHY should they waste their time reading the good book?!
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Beaf: 11:32pm On May 24, 2011
SEFAGO:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/may/15/stephen-hawking-interview-there-is-no-heaven

Deal with it

Lol! Are you an atheist or agnostic?

wesley80:

@OP,
You mean cover to cover as a religious exercise, to settle ones not necessarily religious curiousity or a chest thumping task?
I cant say I have done so personally but i doubt if there's anywhere in the good book my eyes have not seen. I personally think such an exercise no matter how well intended would easily turn to a vain exercise cos the Bible isnt some storybook or novel. To really 'read the Bible' and understand it, one needs some sort of Revelation knowledge (here's where i think Beaf got lost).

@Beaf,
I'm sorta curious. Sometime back u alluded to the fact that u believe in the existence of witches (correct me if i'm wrong). So now that u think Christianity is phoney(?), do u think Witches are the Ultimate powers out there?

No, I believe very firmly that God exists, but that all religion is manmade.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by wesley80(m): 11:57pm On May 24, 2011
@Beaf
Sorry but there r more contradictions in your little assertion than i think there can ever be in the 66 books of the Bible. Every mans belief has got to have some sort of basis and it doesnt seem like yours does. A couple of yrs ago I fell into deep depression and felt like a humongous failure when i couldnt get my Eck friend converted, so i'm not even going to try having a faith argument here. But one thing i know for sure is that some churches arent really for some inquisitive and questioning folks - been there myself, I had to keep looking until i got the answers i sought and a church that fits me like a glove. The answers u seek r out there but u seem to have already given up your search.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Rhino5dm: 12:08am On May 25, 2011
So you choose to refer me that horrible looking psuedo monkey? Dude do you need a rocket tech to tell you that man is curse?

Just look at how pathetic that character is, i mean he urinate, DEFICATE, marculate on his body, he can't eat,talk,walk,run,fucck,sleep,move,turn,laugh,cry,smile,change cloth with being supported. That shows the height of helplessness any living creature should.

SEFAGO:

Deal with it

No need of judgement for that mooks cos he is already in HELL or do you think hell will be more painful that being in that situation? Nah! I dont think so.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by SEFAGO(m): 12:18am On May 25, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

So you choose to refer me that horrible looking psuedo monkey? Dude do you need a rocket tech to tell you that man is curse?

Just look at how pathetic that character is, i mean he urinate, DEFICATE, marculate on his body, he can't eat,talk,walk,run,fucck,sleep,move,turn,laugh,cry,smile,change cloth with being supported. That shows the height of helplessness any living creature should.

No need of judgement for that mooks cos he is already in HELL or do you think hell will be more painful that being in that situation? Nah! I dont think so.

Your whole argument is pure ad hominem

Steve Hawkings is pretty respected. When he talks people listen.

His argument is solid, what is your defense? Probably none. This "pathetic character" has a brain power massively larger than yours.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Rhino5dm: 12:35am On May 25, 2011
^ My defence is clear. Just look at that man and tell me he is not cursed.

The God he chooses to revere is dealing with him and NObody can help him out of that sorry situation.

What do you have? Theory of evolution, theory of non existance of heaven, theory of this and theory of that. . .they are all THEORY without proof. . .

SHOW me any proof of evolution taking in mind the 'gap theory' and i will be godless like you.

I have faith in God no proof. .
You faith in evolution NO PROOF, so we all sitting on the different side of thesame coin.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Beaf: 12:56am On May 25, 2011
^
What is your proof that he is cursed? The man has Worldwide respect, money and a massively high IQ. Wouldn't you count those things as blessings?
By the way, he's been like that from childhood. Who curses children? Surely not your God?

wesley80:

@Beaf
Sorry but there r more contradictions in your little assertion than i think there can ever be in the 66 books of the Bible. Every mans belief has got to have some sort of basis and it doesnt seem like yours does. A couple of yrs ago I fell into deep depression and felt like a humongous failure when i couldnt get my Eck friend converted, so i'm not even going to try having a faith argument here. But one thing i know for sure is that some churches arent really for some inquisitive and questioning folks - been there myself, I had to keep looking until i got the answers i sought and a church that fits me like a glove. The answers u seek r out there but u seem to have already given up your search.

The bolded is similar to the reason my reply was so short. In religious matters, I find it helps to feel my way forward with those I share any concepts with, because it can turn out a delicate area. You are quite right about questioning, but I do not describe any religion (especially Christianity) as phoney, my wife will be the first to go on strike (oga o!) followed by the rest of my dearest. sad

I'll expand on my earlier reply. I believe there's God and I also believe there are unexplained forces humans can harness to do the "supernatural." I put supernatural in quotes only because, such forces are not yet explainable to science. So, yes there are witches, but I do not believe they are superior to humans, talkless of God or being the ultimate powers. However, 90% of religion is based on the unexplained, but the question is if there really is the unexplained or just the yet to be explained.

To make an illustration about unexplained forces, for more than a century now it has been possible to achieve what some might term witchcraft or sorcery in the lab. You can seemingly create tangible things out of thin air (more correctly light) and make things vanish into thin air (or transform into light). To the man in the village, thats pure magic, but to the scientist, its straightforward phenomena governed by very simple mathematical equations [size=4pt](E = MC2 and hf = MC2)[/size].

I really believe that humans create religion out of an innate desire to explain their environment and being. If we understood our environment and being, there would be no inconsistencies in religion and we would be able to give an empirical definition to life that is as clear as two plus two. If we cannot define life empirically, how can we draw up a manual for it (which is what religion is)?
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Kenezi: 1:40am On May 25, 2011
So Hawkings opinion is correct because he is "respected"?

Appeal to authority fallacy. Just because a famous or smart person has an opinion doesn't mean it's right. That's not a critical or independent way of thinking.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Beaf: 1:45am On May 25, 2011
Kenezi:

So Hawkings opinion is correct because he is "respected"?

Appeal to authority fallacy. Just because a famous or smart person has an opinion doesn't mean it's right. That's not a critical or independent way of thinking.

I don't recall anyone saying he is correct. Making assumptions is surely "not a critical or independent way of thinking."
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Kenezi: 1:51am On May 25, 2011
Maybe you should read Sefago's posts again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What is the Title Of Sunday Service Message In Your Church? / Kumuyi ABA Crusade / Last Sunday Before Inauguration What Will Be Your Prayer Point Today For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.