Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,263 members, 7,780,587 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:01 PM

Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s (19148 Views)

Married Men How Do You Confidently Cheat On Your Spouse? ( My Experience) / Dear Married Men, How Do You Cope With Sex Starvation / 7 Things You Should Learn To Do In Your 20s To Avoid Regrets In Your Later Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:13pm On Sep 13, 2021
I used to abuse the older generation blaming them for completely destroying the country for the younger generation especially Nigerians in the 45 plus age bracket but I have been thinking and I feel that age range of Nigerians actually had it much worst than Nigerians of today.

Nigeria is still an absolute shithole today but at least the internet exist which is enabling young people to make a living online. Something that was impossible or unheard of like 10 years ago.

How did older men survive Nigeria when they were young. I mean let's say you graduated from unilag or unn with a mechanical engineering degree in 1984 when Buhari was head of state. They were no jobs, unemployment was still very rife. There was no internet for freelancing or stuff like that. Bujari destroyed the economy then and a demon IBB entered and became president as if that wasn't worst Abacha came in. By the time Abacha left, a 22 year old man from buhari tenure might have been 35 or close to 40 years. Lived through all this bad governance, poverty and hardship. It's so terrible when I think about it.

Older Nigerians how did you guys do it? I am really curious to hear your experiences.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On Sep 13, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
How did older men survive Nigeria when they were young. I mean let's say you graduated from unilag or unn with a mechanical engineering degree in 1984 when Buhari was head of state. They were no jobs, unemployment was still very rife. There was no internet for freelancing or stuff like that. Bujari destroyed the economy then and a demon IBB entered and became president as if that wasn't worst Abacha came in. By the time Abacha left, a 22 year old man from buhari tenure might have been 35 or close to 40 years. Lived through all this bad governance, poverty and hardship. It's so terrible when I think about it.

Older Nigerians how did you guys do it? I am really curious to hear your experiences.
Forget that life is now lived in high definition and at high speed too, back then, the pace used to be slow. Young men occupied their lives with dating and hanging with friends here and there or trying to join this crowd or that. It was boring but it was the pace back then. undecided

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by CHINESEENGLISH: 9:21pm On Sep 13, 2021
The older generation had it tough than it was now... They didn't have to worry so much about impressing on Facebook and Instagram during that time wink

The battles this generation face are funny

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:22pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Forget that life is now lived in high definition and at high speed too, back then, the pace used to be slow. Young men occupied their lives with dating and hanging with friends here and there or trying to join this crowd or that. It was boring but it was the pace back then. undecided

I agree the pace was slow but people were still very poor there were no jobs and there were like really few opportunities to earn a living. It must have been so depressing.

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Sep 13, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I agree the pace was slow but people were still very poor there were no jobs and there were like really few opportunities to earn a living. It must have been so depressing.
It was really really depressing.
Afternoon Siesta was like for everyone then. undecided

43 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:24pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
God shocked shocked. Afternoon siesta. Chei no wonder the country got poorer. Chinese folks then were building. Nigerians were sleeping. Oh lord.

71 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 13, 2021
Buhari wasn't the President then.

And I engaged myself in productive things and not on chasing women wink

6 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 13, 2021
grin
Those were the days idle guys were luring small girls into their rooms with those red bulb lightiings then by sending them on errands. God help you if you go on that errand.

The Bob Marley gang them and UB40 (Red Red wine) full everywhere then. Raggae was their only consoling tool back then.

Mum used to warns us sternly not to enter any brother room o. Hm.. the idleness and boredom was on another level those days.

Those days, you'll see Bros eye don red from excess sleeping. Chai! Life was somehow Sha.

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Sep 13, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

God shocked shocked. Afternoon siesta. Chei no wonder the country got poorer. Chinese folks then were building. Nigerians were sleeping. Oh lord.
There wss nothing to do... even the libraries where boring to spend time in back then. To top it up, epileptic power situation... not a lot to do. undecided

You are right. While the Chinese were building, Nigerians were busy sleeping and multiplying their numbers. They are still busy multiplying their ranks even to this day. undecided

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by chatinent: 9:34pm On Sep 13, 2021
I was born during Abacha regime. What do I know.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Goldbw122(m): 9:35pm On Sep 13, 2021
How time flys
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:36pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:

grin grin grin grin grin

In other words back then everyday was a holiday

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 9:42pm On Sep 13, 2021
VeeVeeMyLuv:

grin grin grin grin grin
In other words back then everyday was a holiday
It was boring abeg! undecided

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by hahn(m): 9:56pm On Sep 13, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

There was no constant electricity or access to loans. No atm, no internet, no GSM, multicellular cost like N300k and that was big fvcking money then for one huge pile of junk.

And they grew up in the military regime where there was NO freedom of speech

All they could do was sleep grin

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:59pm On Sep 13, 2021
hahn:

There was no constant electricity or access to loans. No atm, no internet, no GSM, multicellular cost like N300k and that was big fvcking money then for one huge pile of junk.

And they grew up in the military regime where there was NO freedom of speech

All they could do was sleep grin
Omho and we abuse them for destroying the country. These guys suffered so much.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 13, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

grin I remember back then, mum will say tell us to go and sleep ‘afternoon sleep’ after school when others were going to learn one skill or the other.

The pace was really slow and unproductive back then, that’s why we are still where we are today.

29 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:12pm On Sep 13, 2021
Citygal:

grin I remember back then, mum will say tell us to go and sleep ‘afternoon sleep’ after school when others were going to learn one skill or the other.

So unproductive!
You were born in the 80s. Jesus shocked shocked
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 13, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

You were born in the 80s. Jesus shocked shocked

In the early 90s

2 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 10:31pm On Sep 13, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

But they did that. undecided

Back in the 80s/90s, there was still some fight left in the people but by 2000, people don turn into puppets for politicians.. mumus for the political eejits. Majority retreated to go have babies and wait for their turn at the National cake. undecided

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Junnior: 11:05pm On Sep 13, 2021
Funnily, I've been wondering lately if I would have been able to survive if I was born a decade earlier when there was no internet.

Our parents really suffered.

That's why when some of us tell them that we are making money without leaving home, it sounds ridiculous to them. They just can't relate.

Thank God for the internet

60 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:08pm On Sep 13, 2021
Citygal:

The pace was really slow and unproductive back then, that’s why we are still where we are today.
Exactly, u are correct
I still remember vividly.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by hahn(m): 11:25pm On Sep 13, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

The military regime was crazy.

I remember as a kid we were on our way to Sheraton hotel and we didn't know that IBB had annulled the June 12 elections. Omo come see soldiers everywhere. See fear for old boy face grin

In those days soldiers could fvck you up overnight and no one would be able to save you.

If anything this generation has it the best but the problem is the idiots who messed up the country then are still circulating themselves in power.

Until the youths can find a way to kill them all off nothing will move forward.

The older generation can't help because they have already accepted their fate.

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by crackhaus: 11:33pm On Sep 13, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

No matter how you look at it, they had it so much better... Waayyy better.
Nothing depressing about it.

Yes they lived through the military era and saw firsthand what that was like, but it was still a better deal than what we have now.

Nigeria/Nigerians didn't have such a bad rep in the eyes of the world back then.

And who told you there were no jobs?

Just having a university degree guaranteed you a job without the need for man-know-man or bribing your way into federal agencies.
My dad with his University of Ibadan 2'2 degree didn't stay without work for up to 3 months after serving – got a really good job for that matter.

Nigerians could travel easier back then and even though the standard of living wasn't all that high, things were affordable in comparison.
Today, the standard of living is low (even lower if we're being honest), yet commodities aren't that affordable.

The internet age, satellite TV, and advent of mobile devices which ushered in the era of remote jobs and internet-based sources of income, also came with the introduction of make-believe lifestyles from watching reality shows like MTV cribs, KUWTK, etc...
Young Nigerians became obsessed with living wealthy lifestyles and acquiring expensive things (even when unnecessary).

Please there's no comparison to be made...

Older Nigerians definitely had a much better Nigeria than we do now. It wasn't heaven then, but it still wasn't as hellish as it is now.
People actually lived in Nigeria back then, but what people are doing now is surviving – there's a big difference.

I can't even take my car to a random mechanic to fix for me because they will bill me like a yahoo boy. lipsrsealed
Internet fraudsters who don't mind paying whatever price they're told to pay for anything, have succeeded in contributing to inflation.

All those overpriced estates in places like Lekki built on top of reclaimed land that is just hoping/praying the sea doesn't develop mood swing, do you think if they were not seeing people to buy them, they won't drop the prices?

My brother, the overall mentality of Nigerians is very different now from what it was then.

Although it's not that the country was European-standard for older Nigerians back in the day, but contentment seemed to be more prevalent as people were okay with just having the basics/having just what was necessary.

I have a lot more I could type on this topic, but I've exceeded my social media allocated time for today. grin

189 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by crackhaus: 11:35pm On Sep 13, 2021
hahn:

The military regime was crazy.

I remember as a kid we were on our way to Sheraton hotel and we didn't know that IBB had annulled the June 12 elections. Omo come see soldiers everywhere. See fear for old boy face grin

In those days soldiers could fvck you up overnight and no one would be able to save you.

If anything this generation has it the best but the problem is the idiots who messed up the country then are still circulating themselves in power.

Until the youths can find a way to kill them all off nothing will move forward.

The older generation can't help because they have already accepted their fate.
Lmao... And soldiers can't do that today?

6 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 11:35pm On Sep 13, 2021
crackhaus:

Yes they lived through the military era and saw firsthand what that was like, but it was still a better deal than what we have now.

Nigeria/Nigerians didn't have such a bad rep in the eyes of the world back then.

Just having a university degree guaranteed you a job without the need for man-know-man or bribing your way into federal agencies.
My dad with his University of Ibadan 2'2 degree didn't stay without work for up to 3 months after serving – got a really good job for that matter.

Nigerians could travel easier back then and even though the standard of living wasn't all that high, things were affordable in comparison.
Today, the standard of living is low (even lower if we're being honest), yet commodities aren't that affordable.
This one is desperately trying to rewrite history here.. undecided

Throw Andrew, MAMSA, SAP....etc out the window too. undecided

7 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by hahn(m): 11:35pm On Sep 13, 2021
crackhaus:

The internet age, satellite TV, and advent of mobile devices which ushered in the era of remote jobs and internet-based sources of income, also came with the introduction of make-believe lifestyles from watching reality shows like MTV cribs, KUWTK, etc...
Young Nigerians became obsessed with living wealthy lifestyles and acquiring expensive things (even when unnecessary).

Please there's no comparison to be made...

Older Nigerians definitely had a much better Nigeria than we do now. It wasn't heaven then, but it still wasn't as hellish as it is now.
People actually lived in Nigeria back then, but what people are doing now is surviving – there's a big difference.

I can't even take my car to a random mechanic to fix for me because they will bill me like a yahoo boy. lipsrsealed
Internet fraudsters who don't mind paying whatever price they're told to pay for anything, have succeeded in contributing to inflation.

All those overpriced estates in places like Lekki built on top of reclaimed land that is just hoping/praying the sea doesn't develop mood swing, do you think if they were not seeing people to buy them, they won't drop the prices?

My brother, the overall mentality of Nigerians is very different now from what it was then.

Although it's not that the country was European-standard for older Nigerians back then, but contentment seemed to be more prevalent as people were okay with just having the basics/having just what was necessary.

I have a lot more I could type on this topic, but I've exceeded my social media allocated time for today. grin

Keyword: Contentment

Unfortunately that is something many Nigerians might never experience in today's Nigeria

18 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by hahn(m): 11:37pm On Sep 13, 2021
crackhaus:

Lmao... And soldiers can't do that today?

Bro, they were everywhere then. They basically ruled the joint.

There was much more fear for soldiers then than now.

Overall Nigeria is stuck in time.

Same leaders, same problems.

9 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by crackhaus: 11:40pm On Sep 13, 2021
hahn:

Keyword: Contentment

Unfortunately that is something many Nigerians might never experience in today's Nigeria
Lol, I'm telling you.

Fast life, and everyone trying to outdo the next person.

32 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by crackhaus: 11:42pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
This one is desperately trying to rewrite history here.. undecided

Throw Andrew, MAMSA, SAP....etc out the window too. undecided
The next time you refer to me as "this one", I will pour sand inside your eye.

24 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by hahn(m): 11:42pm On Sep 13, 2021
crackhaus:

Lol, I'm telling you.

Fast life, and everyone trying to outdo the next person.

I swear. Just travel to ordinary Cotonou by road and it will seem you dropped one heavy bag at the corner.

No one is trying to be rich fast but they are enjoying themselves with 24 electricity, good roads, stable economy, cheap food etc

Just come back through the border and you go just tire undecided

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 11:42pm On Sep 13, 2021
crackhaus:

The next time you refer to me as "this one", I will pour sand inside your eye.
This one! undecided

No sand in my eye still? Why? undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by crackhaus: 11:45pm On Sep 13, 2021
hahn:

Bro, they were everywhere then. They basically ruled the joint.

There was much more fear for soldiers then than now.

Overall Nigeria is stuck in time.

Same leaders, same problems.
That Nigeria is stuck in time is an oversimplification.

I believe we are in regression sef.

That there is now access to mobile phones and the internet is not enough metric for measuring economic advancement.

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Not Eating Your Wife Food!! A Punishment Or What?? / Nigerian Pastor And His Wife Welcome A Baby After 13 Years Of Waiting / What Is Your Preferred Gender When It Comes To Having Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.