Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,303 members, 7,808,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year (14659 Views)

. / Rihanna-rude Boy Vs Taio Cruz-break Your Heart / Taio Cruz Like A Lot Of Black Men, Doesn't Value Black Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by DammieA: 12:25pm On May 25, 2011
28 year old Taio Cruz (real name Adetayo Ayowale Onile-Ere) was born to Nigerian father and Brazillian mother. He beat Katy Perry and Eminem featuring Rihanna, to win the Hot 100 Song of the Year at the 2011 Billboard Awards held in Las Vegas. His single Dynamite which ranked number one on Billboard’s charts for an impressive 46 weeks in 2010 is regarded by many as the 2010 anthem of the summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vysgv7qVYTo

Did you know he was Nigerian? Read it here - http://himagazine.tv/show_post.php?id=186
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by mikuz(m): 1:21pm On May 25, 2011
Yeah a full fledged yoruba guy!
Am so proud of him.
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by LOLOH: 6:12pm On May 25, 2011
thumbs up to taio cruz, wale and proto a.k.a chiddy, for flying the flag high. green white green baby smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by LOLOH: 6:16pm On May 25, 2011
AND O! JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE 'C' IN NE-YO'S NAME STANDS FOR CHIMERE, AS IN IGBO I TOT IT WAS CHIMERE AS IN CASHMERE BUT IT'S ACTUALLY IGBO, THROUGH HIS POPS, Hmmmm! NA WIKIPEDIA TALK AM O!
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by mikuz(m): 7:40pm On May 25, 2011
Na lie na you talk am!
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Nobody: 12:56am On May 26, 2011
@loloh
you shouldnt believe everything you read on WIKI because we can clearly see from the link below that the same Wiki is giving complete different (and obviously false) info, depending on which link you read.

the English Wiki says he was born Adetayo Ayowale Onile-Ere while the spanish one says he was born Jacob Taio Cruz. PRICELESS!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taio_Cruz

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taio_Cruz
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Abagworo(m): 12:07am On May 27, 2011
The hottest rapper in the UK is Tinie Tempah and he has Nigerian roots as well.We should be careful the way we identify with these non-Nigerians of Nigerian lineage because they never view them selves as Nigerians like Akon sees himself as a Senegalese.Sade is the greatest of these people.Seal,Chamillionaire,Ne-Yo,Lighthouse family etc have made much impact in the world of music but never rep Naija.

Red one is a Morrocan.Buster Rhymes is a Jamaican.Biggie has Jamaican roots but we know Bob Marley and his children as the true rep of Jamaica.

So 4k Sade.4kNe-Yo.4k Chamillionaire and which ever Nigerian that is not proud of his roots.I even dislike Taio Cruz more because he seems to lean more to his Brazilian side maybe because he thinks Nigerians are ugly.So 4k him.

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Nobody: 1:37am On May 27, 2011
^^^^why would someone who was born outside Nigeria from a Nigerian/Brazilian couple AUTOMATICALLY claim Nigerian?! let each and every person decide what Nationality they want to be, depending on where they were brought up and what they view themselves as (as well as what their passport says).

Taio Cruz surely is British before anything else (since thats where he was born/brought up) therefore he has all the rights to say so and not talk about having a Nigerian dad (or Nigeria) if he wish to do so!

YOU are the one with the problem, expecting anyone with an ounce of Nigerian blood to say that they are Nigerian, NONSENSE!

2 Likes

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Abagworo(m): 6:56am On May 27, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

^^^^why would someone who was born outside Nigeria from a Nigerian/Brazilian couple AUTOMATICALLY claim Nigerian?! let each and every person decide what Nationality they want to be, depending on where they were brought up and what they view themselves as (as well as what their passport says).

Taio Cruz surely is British before anything else (since thats where he was born/brought up) therefore he has all the rights to say so and not talk about having a Nigerian dad (or Nigeria) if he wish to do so!

YOU are the one with the problem, expecting anyone with an ounce of Nigerian blood to say that they are Nigerian, NONSENSE!

That one no concern me.Akon reps Senegal fully and I believe he is also an American.I sense a difference in Wale and I want to believe he will rep Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by mikuz(m): 8:42am On May 27, 2011
Abagworo:

That one no concern me.Akon reps Senegal fully and I believe he is also an American.I sense a difference in Wale and I want to believe he will rep Nigeria.
on point! Your head dey there!

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 27, 2011
Abagworo:

mikuz:

on point! Your head dey there!

WOAH, one person is repping his African root (of course, he grew up in Senegal) and therefore EVERYONE should do the same to please you guys. wake up and smell the coffee!

let everyone decide who they are and what they wish to claim, rather than have overzealous people like you DEMAND that they support your "cause"!

different ball game COMPLETELY, AKON was born in the US BUT grew up in SENEGAL therefore he has a different view of where he is from. as i said earlier, where you grew up has a lot to do with it.

2 Likes

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:54pm On May 27, 2011
[size=13pt]What can i say? grin I'm so happy for my friend Taio Cruz . . . . grin grin - I'll get there soon but later I'll send him a Congratulations PM on myspace. wink wink[/size]
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by tical(m): 1:30pm On May 28, 2011
y'all quit straining ur nerves here. .taio cruz dont rep nigeria! undecided we have our own better artistes here dat u can celebrate undecided

2 Likes

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by ojenew: 9:23am On Jun 05, 2011
why can't he retain his Nigerian name??
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by namski(m): 9:34am On Jun 05, 2011
Nigerian indeed!

Anyway, good for the guy and all the best to him, just that I don't like this music one bit.

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by scopusng(m): 9:41am On Jun 05, 2011
Is NE-YO a Nigerian?
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by scopusng(m): 9:41am On Jun 05, 2011
Abagworo:

The hottest rapper in the UK is Tinie Tempah and he has Nigerian roots as well.We should be careful the way we identify with these non-Nigerians of Nigerian lineage because they never view them selves as Nigerians like Akon sees himself as a Senegalese.Sade is the greatest of these people.Seal,Chamillionaire,Ne-Yo,Lighthouse family etc have made much impact in the world of music but never rep Naija.

Red one is a Morrocan.Buster Rhymes is a Jamaican.Biggie has Jamaican roots but we know Bob Marley and his children as the true rep of Jamaica.

So 4k Sade.4kNe-Yo.4k Chamillionaire and which ever Nigerian that is not proud of his roots.I even dislike Taio Cruz more because he seems to lean more to his Brazilian side maybe because he thinks Nigerians are ugly.So 4k him.

Is NE-YO a Nigerian?

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 05, 2011
lets face it, these people don't see themselves as Nigerians, The only exception is Wale, he mentions his Nigerian roots in a lot of his songs, M sure taio crus or whever his name is, does not even know what part of Africa Nigeria is located, same as tinie tempah, skepta, dizzee rascal e.t.c. i think it's actually worse among the british born Africans.
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Wizardofoz: 9:45am On Jun 05, 2011
Dammie A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vysgv7qVYTo

Did you know he was Nigerian? Read it here - http://himagazine.tv/show_post.php?id=186

Hey, thats not his real name.

[size=18pt]Born Jacob Taio Cruz [/size]on April 23, 1983, in London, England,

http://www.taiocruzmusic.co.uk/about.php

I dont even know what this is doing on the front page. The moderator and Seun both must be drunk.

We cant force our delusions on others. Let people be. He is not Nigerian, He is Brazillian first, British second, and then, maybe,  Nigerian third.

We all need to get a grip and stop living our fantasies through others.

Too bad. Colonization has indeed wreaked great havoc on our collective psyche.

May God save us all from ourselves!

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Wizardofoz: 9:48am On Jun 05, 2011
scopusng:

Is NE-YO a Nigerian?

Ibos are claiming him, even though his parents arent Ibo, and he doesnt have an Ibo name.

Shame on us all.

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Grassroot: 9:54am On Jun 05, 2011
Wizardofoz:

Ibos are claiming him, even though his parents arent Ibo, and he doesnt have an Ibo name.

Shame on us all.

That's not true. Neyo's middle name is Chimere. Even his "supposed" son was named Chimere.
Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ne-Yo to confirm

from wiki:

Ne-Yo was born in Camden, Arkansas, and baptized as Shaffer Chimere Smith. "Chimere" is a name originating from the Igbo language in Nigeria meaning "God's Deed".[2] His father is African American, and his mother is of mixed African American and Chinese descent,

In 2005, Ne-Yo's girlfriend at the time gave birth to a boy, naming him Chimere after Ne-Yo's middle name
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by denzel2009: 9:55am On Jun 05, 2011
Wizardofoz:

Shame on us all.
His full name is Shaffer Chimere Smith. Is Chimere an American name?
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by chidyke77(m): 9:58am On Jun 05, 2011
Neyo's father is frm imo state bt grew up in America.
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Wizardofoz: 10:09am On Jun 05, 2011
Grassroot:

That's not true. Neyo's middle name is Chimere. Even his "supposed" son was named Chimere.
Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ne-Yo to confirm

denzel2009:

His full name is Shaffer Chimere Smith. Is Chimere an American name?

Both of you 'iz' deluded

So he is Ibo just because his middle name "sounds" Ibo?

So that means "Yetunde Hawanya Tara Price" is Nigerian too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimere
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chimere

Angel: A lot of the visitors want to know if you have any Nigerian Ancestry,
Ne-yo:: Nigerian ancestry? Not that I know of.

http://concreteloop.com/interviews-neyo

When are we going to stop all these crap that has eaten too deep into our lives so badly. The point here is that I think we all have to exercise restraints in our thought and haste to always want to claim some sort of connection to every successful person, even when it is obvious they arent Nigerians. Some have even claimed here on NL that Obama is Ibo, and his wife Michelle, from some goddamn clan in Ibo land. This should teach us all to be a little more introspective, to be just a little less arrogant about what we think we know. To have just a little critical awareness about ourselves and our certainties. Because a huge percentage of the stuff that we tend to be automatically certain of is, it turns out, totally wrong and deluded.

NEYO is not Nigerian. And lets be honest with ourselves, he is way better and more refined to be Ibo, Fact! Lets cut out this childish crap and face reality.

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Wizardofoz: 10:12am On Jun 05, 2011
chidyke77:

Neyo's father is frm imo state bt grew up in America.

Really?

So was he lying when he was doing this interview:

Angel: A lot of the visitors want to know if you have any Nigerian Ancestry,
Ne-yo:: Nigerian ancestry? Not that I know of.

http://concreteloop.com/interviews-neyo

Please, stop claiming him, he is not from Nigeria. His father is not from IMO, and he has no connection to Nigeria, his skin color besides.

You all should be ashamed of una for trying to claim what is not yours.

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Wizardofoz: 10:20am On Jun 05, 2011
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 05, 2011
LMAO no wonder he changed his name to TAIO cruz , I mean who wants this kain long name(Adetayo Ayowale Onile-Ere) for hollywood?  grin grin

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 05, 2011
I can almost see the poison dripping here.

People are allowed to claim citizenship from their countries of birth, where there parents are from, or where they spent most of their time growing up. So, some choose not to represent Nigeria, so what? Sade Adu, Seal, Ne-yo, Lighthouse Family etc have chosen not to represent Nigeria, big deal! It's their choice, and today, they're successful in their own right. As for saying Bleep them, do they care? I doubt it! Spend that energy and time, and become successful as a person, wherever you are, and represent any country you choose to.

Why criticise someone who has Nigerian / Brazillian parents, if he / she chooses to relate to the Brazillian side? It's the height of sheer arrogance to feel such a person must lean more to their Nigerian lineage. To me, it's all about the country that works best for your career. If it's Nigeria, good. If it's Brazil, United States, United Kingdom, Afghanistan, Iraq etc, then so be it.
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by denzel2009: 10:46am On Jun 05, 2011
Wizardofoz:

Shame on us all.

Wizardofoz:

Both of you 'iz' deluded

Stop being stupiid on a Sunday morning, you said he doesn't have an 'Ibo' name, and I showed you he has.

Where did I say he is from Nigeria?
Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by Wizardofoz: 10:47am On Jun 05, 2011
jennykadry:

LMAO no wonder he changed his name to TAIO cruz , I mean who wants this kain long name(Adetayo Ayowale Onile-Ere) for hollywood?  grin grin

Thats not even his name.

His name is Jacob Tiao Cruz

Where the OP got that name from is beyond me. It is ridiculous how we just make things up for no other reason than to make ourselves feel good.

Almost every successful American has been given one Nigerian name or the other. This is ridiculous and shameful. One wonders the kind of future Nigerians we are raising. Now I understand how it was easy for the White man to colonize us.

It is ridiculous. Even more pathetic is the fact that this thread is on the front page. Just imagine the side of us we are presenting to the world. Clowns, that is what we all are.

"Nigerian beat Rihanna?" what a deluded title. The admin of NL is just too childish and thoughtless, time to have some adult supervision. It is getting too ridiculous!

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by chidyke77(m): 10:55am On Jun 05, 2011
Wizardofoz:

Both of you 'iz' deluded

When are we going to stop all these crap that has eaten too deep into our lives so badly. The point here is that I think we all have to exercise restraints in our thought and haste to always want to claim some sort of connection to every successful person, even when it is obvious they arent Nigerians. Some have even claimed here on NL that Obama is Ibo, and his wife Michelle, from some goddamn clan in Ibo land. This should teach us all to be a little more introspective, to be just a little less arrogant about what we think we know. To have just a little critical awareness about ourselves and our certainties. Because a huge percentage of the stuff that we tend to be automatically certain of is, it turns out, totally wrong and deluded.

NEYO is not Nigerian. And lets be honest with ourselves, he is way better and more refined to be Ibo, Fact! Lets cut out this childish crap and face reality.
damn it man!you are too tribalistic, why should you make that sentence?

1 Like

Re: Taio Cruz Flies Flag For Nigeria. Wins Billboard Hot 100 Song Of The Year by vaLasce(m): 10:57am On Jun 05, 2011
impressive!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD: Simi – Simisola [full Album] (all Songs/tracks) / Which Nigeria Musician Can Win Grammy Award? / What Inspired You To Use That Song As Your Ringtone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.