Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 (22724 Views)

Poll: Who Lifts The 2011 Champions League Trophy?

Barcelona(Spain): 52% (73 votes)
Machester United(England): 47% (67 votes)
This poll has ended

Barcelona V PSG : UCL (1 - 1) On 10th April 2013 / Barcelona V Spartak Moscow (3 - 2) On 19th September 2012 / Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by chelseabmw(m): 1:03pm On May 25, 2011
Barcelona and Manchester United will meet once again, after both teams met in the Champions League final back in season 2008/2009. Barcelona won that game with 2:0, an early goal from Samuel Eto’o in the 10th minute, and a goal from Lionel Messi in the 70th minute.

Barcelona
[b]Barcelona was in Group D with the teams of Copenhagen, Rubin Kazan and Panathinaikos. No real challenge here, and as expected Barcelona topped the group with 14 points in 6 matches. The team won all home games, including a visit in Greece against Panathinaikos and drew the remaining away games with the score of 1:1 against Copenhagen and Rubin Kazan.
In the first elimination phase in February 2011, Barcelona met Arsenal. After a loss on Emirates with 1:2, the Spanish team won the return match with 3:1 and advanced with an aggregate result of 4:3. That game brought a lot of attention on itself, after Arsenal was left a man short, when Van Persie received a red card, for continuing to play after the referee’s whistle. After Arsenal, Barcelona faced Shakhtar Donetsk in the quarter final stage. An easy victory on Camp Nou with 5:1 and another victory in Ukraine with 1:0, placed Barcelona in the semi-finals, facing their old rival Real Madrid.With a great game on Bernabeu and a victory with 2:0, and a draw on Camp Nou 1:1, the Catalans advanced to the final on May 28th 2011.[/b]

Manchester United:
Manchester United started this season, in Champions League in Group C, along with the teams following teams: Valencia, Rangers and Bursaspor. No real problems for the Red Devils here who topped the group also with 14 points in 6 games, winning all away games, and only one on Old Trafford against Bursaspor. The remaining 2 fixtures at home against Rangers and Valencia ended respectively 0:0 and 1:1.In the first round of the elimination stage in February 2011, United faced Marseille. After a 0:0 in France, the game on Old Trafford was won with 2:1 and United made it to the quarter finals, where old rival Chelsea awaited. No problems there for the Red Devils, as they won both games 1:0, 2:1 and found a place on the semi-finals. The semi-finals offered nothing new for Manchester United, as they faced Schalke, perhaps the easiest opponent of all. After the team had no trouble eliminating the Germans, they advanced to the final.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by Mcleo007(m): 1:36pm On May 25, 2011
I wish Barcelona can repeat the triumph. It'd be an awesome feeling.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by snowdrops(m): 4:41pm On May 25, 2011
omo, drinks already chilled, pop corn ready, let the game begin.

seriously there is hardly any chance of man u winning this match. barca is simply the best team on the planet at present. they are unstoppable.

i foresee some man u players like rooney, giggs/scholes getting frustrated chasing the ball that day that they would do something daft and get sent off.

predictions.

barcelona 3 man u 0
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by snowdrops(m): 4:42pm On May 25, 2011
PS. when did chelseabmw become a moderator
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by ogazi007(m): 5:28pm On May 25, 2011
We will have to show the whole world that it was not a fluke defeating a solid madrid team 5-0.we have another opportunity to display our usual brand of play, and i am hoping our opponent will be brave enough to attack us so that we can all enjoy the finals.
Forza Barca.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by dipo2much(m): 6:39pm On May 25, 2011
Who really thinks manure stands a chance? Barca is sure to beat †нє scummies. Maybe not a walloping like many many think. I predict another 2-0.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by cisse7575(m): 7:07pm On May 25, 2011
man u need at least 22 players 2 attack fcb 2 win the ucl
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by switch47(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2011
Hmmm! Hoping for a fair and entertaining game. This match is to be played in England can this factor ginger united to feel More at HOME than Barcelona ?? Manchester united on their day(when fired up) can defeat any team, Barcelona can do same if they are able to "PASS" through. Luck may have a say in the matter,what about the home advantage even on neutral ground for united. Officiating nko? It can go either way. LET THIS BALL ROLL!!
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by cisse7575(m): 7:16pm On May 25, 2011
@switch47 yeah, luck and officiating may truly have a say in the match
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by r231(m): 7:18pm On May 25, 2011
snowdrops:

omo, drinks already chilled, pop corn ready, let the game begin.

seriously there is hardly any chance of man u winning this match. barca is simply the best team on the planet at present. they are unstoppable.

i foresee some man u players like rooney, giggs/scholes getting frustrated chasing the ball that day that they would do something daft and get sent off.

predictions.

barcelona 3 man u 0

what else do u expect from an Arsenal fan to say grin

Newsflash. . . . .  that cup is going to Old Trafford

if pampers wearing gayners can beat them at emirate, United will do the same on Saturday in Wembley grin grin
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by cisse7575(m): 7:49pm On May 25, 2011
@r234: i love ur courage, u are truly a man u fan. but pls take my advise, forget it this season, the cup is going 2 fcb
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by dipo2much(m): 8:46pm On May 25, 2011
†нє pampers wearing arsenal players have beaten manure And barca this term
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by chelseabmw(m): 10:11pm On May 25, 2011
snowdrops:

PS. when did chelseabmw become a moderator

lol. . . . funny question

so where ve u being? u are always on the epl section and u never knew i was a moderator? wow. . . Am surprised shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by folahann(m): 10:12pm On May 25, 2011
I thought the final is between Man Utd and Barcelona, where does Arsenal come in.

Anyways, I'll like to see a game without any play-acting leading to dubious red cards. That's how it was against Real and Arsenal this season, even Inter last season.

I think by now we should all know that Barcelona only have plan A, when it seems not working then they become confused and frustrated.

Manchester United look like winning this one and i wish they do,they deserve all their wins en route the final, they should just make sure they remain 11 on the pitch. I think Fergie should also train with 10 men just in case.

Hoping to see a very interesting game with no referee intervention.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by chelseabmw(m): 10:13pm On May 25, 2011
[b]Barcelona's players believe Manchester United have improved since the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid in 2009.Ronaldo played his last game for United in the Champions League final in Rome - which Barca won 2-0 - before sealing an £80 million switch to the Bernabeu.

United ended up with only the Carling Cup in their first campaign following the Portugal forward's exit, but this season has seen Sir Alex Ferguson's side reclaim the Premier League title and progress to the final of the Champions League to face Barca on Saturday at Wembley.

"Their team isn't as direct as before; they like to have the ball,'' Barca midfielder Xavi said. "I don't know if that's because of Cristiano Ronaldo or not, but they move around as a unit now.''

Striker David Villa added: "Cristiano Ronaldo's departure has liberated them. Many great players come and go and that has allowed them to remain at the top for so long.''

Wing-back Dani Alves reckons United's threat is harder to nullify in the absence of the Portuguese.

"This Manchester United team is much more unpredictable without Cristiano Ronaldo,'' he said. "They have formed a more balanced group and they are stronger than they were two years ago.''

Andres Iniesta also believes United have improved. "They have grown as a team,'' said the midfielder. "They are dominating in England and now they are fighting for the Champions League.

"Cristiano Ronaldo has left, but apart from that I don't think they have made big changes and they are always competitive.''

Coach Pep Guardiola sees little difference to the side Barca beat in Rome.

"It's the same team. Only one player is missing from the team that started in Rome,'' he said. "Only Cristiano Ronaldo has left from that team. (Carlos) Tevez isn't there any more either, but he didn't start in Rome.''

Brazilian full-back Sylvinho, who started in the 2009 final for Barca but is no longer with the Catalan club, says the two teams are similar to the ones that met two years ago.

"The squads haven't changed much,'' he told Sport. "Cristiano Ronaldo isn't there any more, but United are stronger as a team.''[/b]
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by chelseabmw(m): 10:18pm On May 25, 2011
[b]Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will not single out Barcelona star Lionel Messi for special attention during Saturday's Champions League final at Wembley.Messi, who scooped the inaugural FIFA Ballon d'Or as the best player in the world in January, has scored over 50 goals this season for the La Liga champions, netting almost a third of their goals en route to retaining the title.

And the Argentinian has been central to Barcelona's progress in the Champions League, scoring both goals in the 2-0 semi-final victory over arch-rivals Real Madrid, the second of which is considered to be one of the best ever goals scored in the competition.

However, Ferguson does not believe that his team can focus solely on Messi, who also scored when Barcelona beat United in the 2009 Champions League final, and has instead urged his team to draw on their experience to deal with the brilliant 23-year-old.

"We have played against Barcelona three times with Messi in the team," Ferguson said. "But there is always a solution to every good player. Hopefully we can find one on Saturday.

"They have other good players though, and so do we. That is why it is such an appealing game. I am sure Barcelona are aware of that."

Ferguson believes concentration is vital and points to the two meetings with Barcelona in the 2008 semi-final, when United were able to keep a pair of clean sheets, as the template his side must work towards rather than dwell on the one-sided final in Rome,

"We showed fantastic concentration in those two ties," said Ferguson. "That is the key for us. It is an important issue in terms of Saturday."

United find themselves in the rare position of being underdogs for the Wembley showpiece, even though they have just claimed a record 19th Premier League title, but Ferguson is not bothered who is tipped as favourites.

"There is no advantage," declared Ferguson. "It doesn't matter. We don't decide those things. I know my players will be ready."[/b]

Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/923026/sir-alex-ferguson-has-no-masterplan-to-deal-with-lionel-messi?cc=3888
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by MeGaStReEt: 10:41pm On May 25, 2011
I will love to see Manchester United beat those cheating bastarrddsss, I believe in miracle
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by snowdrops(m): 1:56am On May 26, 2011
r231:

what else do u expect from an Arsenal fan to say grin

Newsflash. . . . .  that cup is going to Old Trafford

if pampers wearing gayners can beat them at emirate, United will do the same on Saturday in Wembley grin grin  
we shall see my man. saturday is only around the corner. many have boasted/bragged prior to barca games but we know that many were humbled.

hope man u would be gracious enough to acknowledge defeat on saturday and not launch personal attacks on the referee, linesman, wembley crowd, barca players/coach/management, uefa, volcano, david cameron, queen elizabeth, fifa, etc etc. we all know what ferguson can be like; a mourinho in disguise. both bad losers.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by snowdrops(m): 1:57am On May 26, 2011
chelseabmw:

lol. . . . funny question

so where ve u being? u are always on the epl section and u never knew i was a moderator? wow. . . Am surprised shocked shocked shocked shocked

congratulations then
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by snowdrops(m): 2:02am On May 26, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

I will love to see Manchester United beat those cheating bastarrddsss, I believe in miracle
this idea that barca cheat is all but a myth and only exist in the fantasy world of jose mourinho and his followers. in the four successive el classicos in April, madrid players were if not more guilty of play acting as the men from the camp nou.

i seem to remember time without numbers ronaldo, de maria, marcelo, rolling on the floor when hardly touched.

and is this not the same mourinho that asked his players to deliberately get sent of in the penultimate group stage match in the champs league. is that's not cheating then what is
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by cisse7575(m): 6:50am On May 26, 2011
ref officiatin can go either way,n it's not an xcuse 4 bad loser.i hate xcusers 'cos dey're worst n mor teribl dan liars
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by cisse7575(m): 6:57am On May 26, 2011
jm folowers must know: an xcuse is worst and more terrible than a lie 4 an xcuse is a lie guarded. red card isn't one.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by cisse7575(m): 7:04am On May 26, 2011
instead of giving an xcuse for ur defeat, accept dat we are ur master and u are not gud enough 2 defeat barca whatsoever
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by jackpot(f): 7:09am On May 26, 2011
I respect Man U's road to Champions League Final more than Barca's. Just look at Man U vs Schalke 1st & 2nd leg. That was class.

Imagine Arsenal vs Barca 2nd leg (Van Persie's Red) and R. Madrid vs Barca (Pepe's Red). In those matches, i prefer to call Barca runaway winners.

I hope Man U can find a way to shut-up Barca's mouth, if not for anything for the sake of EPL ratings.

Lets not forget it is Wembley. More fans in red colour in the stad.

Lets go Wembley!
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by Effiko(m): 8:08am On May 26, 2011
WATEVA be de WEATHER  man utd wil triumph , referee or linesmen or whoeva cant do nothing about that ,
haters can talk all they like , it really doesnt make an difference ,

tongue tongue tongue

MAN UTD 2 DE DEATH
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by eyoniggar(m): 8:56am On May 26, 2011
Villa! Villa!! Villa!!! The snake that the eagle didnt set eye would be the one to crawl to its nest and eat up her eggs.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by mykali(m): 9:12am On May 26, 2011
^shataaap!!!

This game is given me mixed feelings. Manure winning means a double for them. . .when we ended trophyless. But Barca is feeling like one 'untouchable' team right now. And i don't want The Spaniards claiming victory in England.

So i'm going to support the devils. Silence to the catalans.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by ogazi007(m): 9:43am On May 26, 2011
They have started making excuses.i thought MAN U is richer,more powerful than Barcelona in terms of influencing match officials.maybe UEFA stopped Manchester united from not coming close to our 18yards box in 2009 finals,lol.maybe Redknapp should have accused UEFA for sending off Peter crouch in the first half of the CL quarter final first leg in Madrid.pep accusing Uefa for sending off puyol against Arsenal in Emirate(09/10),or blaming the ref that red carded Busquet in the first El classico of 09/10 season and Barca still went ahead and stunned madrid 1-0.wrong calls by the ref has always been part of the game,you can always put the ref in a tight spot by playing to the rules,be discipline and score good goals that he will not be able to cancelled.if Manchester united wins on saturday,it simply mean they are the better side,they deserves to be champion,cos luck and ref would not have taken them this far.we are talking about two good team that have been consistent in their local league and CL over the year,both have won their various league and they are in the CL finals.do you call that a fluke?may the best side wins.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by Effiko(m): 9:55am On May 26, 2011
ogazi007:

They have started making excuses.i thought MAN U is richer,more powerful than Barcelona in terms of influencing  match officials.maybe UEFA stopped Manchester united from not coming close to our 18yards box in 2009 finals,lol.maybe Redknapp should have accused UEFA for sending off Peter crouch in the first half of the CL quarter final first leg  in Madrid.pep accusing Uefa for sending off puyol against Arsenal in Emirate(09/10),or blaming the ref that red carded Busquet in the first El classico of 09/10 season and Barca still went ahead and stunned madrid 1-0.wrong calls by the ref has always been part of the game,you can always put the ref in a tight spot by playing to the rules,be discipline and score good goals that he will not be able to cancelled.if Manchester united wins on saturday,it simply mean they are the better side,they deserves to be champion,cos luck and ref would not have taken them this far.we are talking about two good team that have been consistent in their local league and CL over the year,both have won their various league and they are in the CL finals.do you call that a fluke?may the best side wins.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by snowdrops(m): 10:07am On May 26, 2011
jackpot:

I respect Man U's road to Champions League Final more than Barca's. Just look at Man U vs Schalke 1st & 2nd leg. That was class.

Imagine Arsenal vs Barca 2nd leg (Van Persie's Red) and R. Madrid vs Barca (Pepe's Red). In those matches, i prefer to call Barca runaway winners.

I hope Man U can find a way to shut-up Barca's mouth, if not for anything for the sake of EPL ratings.

Lets not forget it is Wembley. More fans in red colour in the stad.

Are you having a laugh? Man u had a far easier road to the final than barca. lets take the knock out phase; marseile, Chelsea and shalke are rubbish teams. Chelsea under mourinho would never have capitulated the way they did this time. shalke were a major disappointment and even stoke city would have walloped that team.

believe me, is this not the same man u that have struggled to win a game away from home in the epl this season? whenever they have met team that hold possession they disintegrate very easily. check out their loss to liverpool and arsenal couple of weeks back.

wembley or mars it makes no difference to barca. firstly they would dominate possession 70% to 30%. what matters is what man u does with the ball in the 30% of the time they have it.

barca are very good in winning back the ball whenever they lose it. they crowd you off and usually their opponents panic and lose possession. people have forgotten that they have only conceded 21 goals in over 50 matches all season. that phenomenal. they have never lost a match all season when puyol played.

let the dreamers keep dreaming. the champs league is barca`s to lose and not man u`s to win.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by snowdrops(m): 10:08am On May 26, 2011
Effiko:

WATEVA be de WEATHER man utd wil triumph , referee or linesmen or whoeva cant do nothing about that ,
haters can talk all they like , it really doesnt make an difference ,

MAN UTD 2 DE DEATH
dont say foolish things like that. its only a game and not what dying for.
Re: Champions League Final Barcelona V Manchester United May 28th 2011 by Effiko(m): 10:16am On May 26, 2011
snowdrops:

dont say foolish things like that. its only a game and not what dying for.

hey dude wats ur 'biznez' wit wat eva i say , e dey pain u say ur club no go win champs leag. .
Guy abeg jst hold ur own ooooo {wat nonsense} . how e go dey pain person sai i dey flash ma club colour mtschewwwwwww . haters

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Leeds Vs Arsenal (1 - 4) On 18th December 2021 / Real Madrid Vs Atletico Madrid (1 - 2) On 13th September 2014 / Newcastle United Vs Manchester United (3 - 3) On 12th January 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.