Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,860 members, 7,798,861 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With (14522 Views)

Poll: Which Programming Languauge Is Best To Start With

Java: 66% (18 votes)
C#: 33% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Which Programming Language Is Best For Building An Hospital Management Software / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / How To Create A Simple Calculator Using Java Programing Language GUI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Blogicon1(m): 10:59pm On May 25, 2011
I've read the replies to other programing related posts, and i must say that i'm overwhelmed at the number of progamming geeks we have on NL.

I'm an aspiring progammer too but i'm very confused and in  need of advise. i don't know the language that is best to start with. Some people have been advising C+ while some have been talking of .NET. what do you guys think? i need good advises pls!
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Fayimora(m): 12:12am On May 26, 2011
Dunno what you want to do with your skills but i would advice Java. Its got A LOT to it
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Beaf: 1:15am On May 26, 2011
I would advice C# on the .NET platform. C# is about the easiest compiled language to learn, its built in library is also by far the most comprehensive.

The .NET platform is the most powerful and supported Rapid Application Development (RAD) environment in existence. The IDE, Visual Studio is second to none, in fact it is light years ahead of its closest rival (Java's Eclipse).
The beauty and versatility of C# have caused it to be adopted outside the Windows OS. Here are a couple of examples:

Mono
This is basically .NET for Linux. Same code on Windows will run smoothly (although Mono always lags a bit behind .NET).

Vala
This is C# compiled to native (C). Originally designed for Unix type Operating Systems (Linux, Solaris etc), its since been ported to Windows, so you can create a Vala app in Visual Studio and with very few simple changes, compile it to C source code, which you can then compile with any C compiler into a native assembly. Cool!

C# is the future, and its an exciting place to be. cool
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by blacksta(m): 9:34am On May 26, 2011
The most important programming language to learn is the one that guaranties great career prospects just in case you plan on becoming a programmer.

tip - Right now the demand for Java developers is really scary at the moment it is ratio of almost 5 jobs to a Java person.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Afritelly: 12:04pm On May 26, 2011
Depend on what you want to do. All programming are good for their purposes.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Blogicon1(m): 12:29pm On May 26, 2011
Fayimora:

Dunno what you want to do with your skills but i would advice Java. Its got A LOT to it
Thanks man, a lot of peeps also advised on that one. Would surely look into it. Thanx!
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Blogicon1(m): 12:34pm On May 26, 2011
blacksta:

The most important programming language to learn is the one that guaranties great career prospects just in case you plan on becoming a programmer.

tip - Right now the demand for Java developers is really scary at the moment it is ratio of almost 5 jobs to a Java person.
Thanx brov. Your post is a second vote to start with java. Your revelation on the job opportunities available to java programmers is intriguing. Thanks man.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Blogicon1(m): 12:36pm On May 26, 2011
Beaf:

I would advice C# on the .NET platform. C# is about the easiest compiled language to learn, its built in library is also by far the most comprehensive.

The .NET platform is the most powerful and supported Rapid Application Development (RAD) environment in existence. The IDE, Visual Studio is second to none, in fact it is light years ahead of its closest rival (Java's Eclipse).
The beauty and versatility of C# have caused it to be adopted outside the Windows OS. Here are a couple of examples:

Mono
This is basically .NET for Linux. Same code on Windows will run smoothly (although Mono always lags a bit behind .NET).

Vala
This is C# compiled to native (C). Originally designed for Unix type Operating Systems (Linux, Solaris etc), its since been ported to Windows, so you can create a Vala app in Visual Studio and with very few simple changes, compile it to C source code, which you can then compile with any C compiler into a native assembly. Cool!

C# is the future, and its an exciting place to be. cool
@Beaf, I must say that your reply is very comprehensive and insightful. Thanks for your selfless help. Much appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Blogicon1(m): 12:41pm On May 26, 2011
Afritelly:

Depend on what you want to do. All programming are good for their purposes.
Thnaks for your input. i intend taking programing as a career. While I want to pick on a programing language and learning it, i don't want to pick on one that would offer me no good opportunities in the market. Thanx.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Afritelly: 12:42pm On May 26, 2011
@ Blog icon:
If you want to learn about mobile programming: Java/QT is the way forward. Desktop Programming: Delphi/QT/dotNet (dotNet I wouldn't recommend it because of complex application and NDA), Web Programming: php, CMS (Opensource).
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by netghost: 8:14pm On May 26, 2011
C# , Beef has said it all

i dont think java is the best option for a first programming language especially if you are going to be self taught
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Afritelly: 9:39pm On May 26, 2011
C# , Beef has said it all

i dont think java is the best option for a first programming language especially if you are going to be self taught

This might be very very strange to some of you. C# is only good for basic desktop applications. But when it comes to design Complex Business Applications then you will get stuck on NDA (Non Disclosure Agreements), this is Delphi/Pascal will get you out of NDA. Then you will started imediately. Sound strange?

1 Like

Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Beaf: 11:49pm On May 26, 2011
Afritelly:

This might be very very strange to some of you. C# is only good for basic desktop applications. But when it comes to design Complex Business Applications then you will get stuck on NDA (Non Disclosure Agreements), this is Delphi/Pascal will get you out of NDA. Then you will started imediately. Sound strange?

Guy, you have a really grave misunderstanding of what Non Disclosure Agreements are. They are used to protect trade secrets, intellectual property that is still in the process of being patented and similar. It a business tool that has nothing to do with your choice of programming language.
If you ever design or build bleeding edge software, you would soon know pretty much all there is to know about Non Disclosure Agreements, regardless of programming language, cos you'd need to protect your precious secret.

I do lots of real-time video and image processing software in C#. . . Definitely note "basic desktop" and I don't know of many app types that are more involved or processor intensive than that area. Do you?
I code the apps in both C++ and C# and I can assure you that C# is by far the best and brightest choice; by a very wide margin too. The .NET framework is regarded by all experts worth their salt as the Worlds most powerful RAD platform, nothing else comes close. There is no other coding platform that can plumb to the very lowest and scariest depths with the same suave ease as it handles high level stuff. .Net is in a class of its own.

As for C#, its the best designed language out there, it is also the most actively evolving and supported language out there. You also get 100% FREE World class development tools to go with it. http://www.microsoft.com/express/

. . .And after some experience, pop in here:
Windows 7 phones - http://create.msdn.com/en-US/resources/downloads
Open source embedded - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/netmf/default.aspx
Robotics - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/robotics/aa731517

Lastly, Delphi and Pascal in general are dead.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Seun(m): 2:09am On May 27, 2011
C# or Python.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Afritelly: 7:22am On May 27, 2011
Lastly, Delphi and Pascal in general are dead.
People have been saying it over 10 years ago. But still alive, coming soon 64bit compiler and crossplatform. Go through those list.

_http://delphi.wikia.com/wiki/Good_Quality_Applications_Built_With_Delphi

Surprise? Do you know that skype (Windows) was develop in Delphi?

I do lots of real-time video and image processing software in C#. . . Definitely note "basic desktop" and I don't know of many app types that are more involved or processor intensive than that area. Do you?

Yes I do, but not depend on anybody's dll files as dotNet does. Have look at it, one sample of over 100 projectes I have done. Over 5000 users over the internet are using it. It is single exe file and less than 2MB, fast, Consume less CPU useage.

Guy, you have a really grave misunderstanding of what Non Disclosure Agreements are
I understand what it mean. Before, I work as a VB.Net programmer, there are somethings (Core useage of FrameWork) that are difficult for ordinary programmer/beginners will know except they belong to Microsoft Partnership (this is where NDA comes in). I won't say more about it because of NDA.   

The .NET framework is regarded by all experts worth their salt as the Worlds most powerful RAD platform,

Well, I will say for you. But not for me. What do you thing about QT?
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by hercules07: 12:25pm On May 27, 2011
What you need to learn is how to program not a programming language, you need the basics first, I find it funny when someone says I am going for Oracle or SQL when he has absolutely no idea about data management.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by dennismukoro(m): 12:39pm On May 27, 2011
i think BASIC Programming is the best(bigginers all purpose symbolic code) is a program design for the starters
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by dempeople(m): 12:43pm On May 27, 2011
@OP,

I'll be simplistic as possible in other not to confuse you. Don't mind Beaf and his C#.

As an Enterprise Architect, I'm not gonna lie to you or deceive you. It depends on what part of programming you're interested in. If its enterprise application development then java is your best bet. It's API is larger than windows among other benefits.

The amount of jobs in java is way more than C#. If its hardware specific application development  then you're indeed talking about using C++ together with Very High Speed Integrated Circuit Hardware Description Language (VHDL) or Verilog. When in combination, you're winner. Companies would throw money at you.

My main advise is this. You need to understand the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) in other to understand C++, Java or C#. Java itself is 100% OOP (Except with primitives which when wrapped with wrappers, acts as objects which can be used in arrays and collections (generics)).

And so if you've not programmed before then you could start with the C -language in other to understand procedural programming and then, migrating to Java where you'll appreciate OOP better.

Java is also better than C++ in terms of inheritance, garbage collection & memory management etc. Also, the use of pointers in C++ is a no-no as non-expert usage of it, can severely crash a program etc but, I wouldn't get too technical with you so as not to confuse you but, I'm trying to "excite" you!

Go with Java. Recommended books; Thinking in Java (Bruce Eckel). If this book is too boring for you then try  the humoristic "Head First Java" ( Sierra & Bates).
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by BizBooks(m): 12:46pm On May 27, 2011
There are so many languages to choose from. Some people still write programmes in VB6. Once you settle on a language, I suggest you get books from Wrox Press. They are the best and will guide you from beginner to advanced programmer if you are ready to learn.

They also have a very helpful forum at http://www.wrox.com
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by denzel2009: 1:03pm On May 27, 2011
dennismukoro:

i think BASIC Programming is the best(bigginers all purpose symbolic code) is a program design for the starters

Stop deceiving people. It was the best programming language when we were using MSDOS diskette to boot computers.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by ektbear: 1:27pm On May 27, 2011
If you are just starting out with learning how to program, I'd suggest first mastering a scripting language of some sort.

I use Ruby personally, but I'd suggest Python for someone starting from scratch (Lisp and Scheme are also pretty popular in academic/"first course on computer science" circles.)

So why a scripting language? Generally less code written to accomplish the same tasks as compiled languages like Java, C++ and C. Which means more time focusing on the big picture than on details, and thus more time actually learning important concepts. Reducing the amount of time it takes for you to go from "I'd like to write an application that does X" to actually rolling out that application I think is kind of important when you first start programming. . . it helps you stay motivated. And with the libraries available today, pretty much anything you want to do with a compiled language you can do with a scripting language. . . with Ruby I recently wrote some numerical linear algebra software. And you can also do GUIs, etc, etc.

Of course, there is a downside with interpreted languages. . . they usually are a bit slower than compiled languages. But for you, since you are starting from scratch and mainly trying to teach yourself, performance doesn't really matter at this point.

Now, if you get serious about programming or want to do it for a career, at some point you'll need to pick up additional languages. For example, if you follow my advice and master Python, your next job/project might end up using Java instead (for example.)

From what I've seen, the first language you learn is very unlikely to be the one you end up using later in life  smiley

Fortunately, once you master one programming language, to add the next one basically is just learning new syntax. I guess that is why I emphasize picking a relatively easy but expressive, well-designed language to start (like Python) so you can master the important ideas.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Muslimah: 1:47pm On May 27, 2011
I think as a start use Visual Basic it is the easiest to understand (and when you run you can see where you made mistakes),grasp the fundamentals properly then move on to Java be a pro then pick up the best advice from these people above so as to make your paper, simple.
I have to warn you though, programming is very addictive when u start you can end up mastering up to ten languages which is a goooooood think financially but social life may suffer.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Iyineda(m): 1:49pm On May 27, 2011
C++ or even Java.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by eewule(m): 2:09pm On May 27, 2011
It depends on what you are after - there is programing for web (php) (javascript) (java) etc,  there is programming for applications development (c++) etc.

Also, there may be many programmers on Nairaland but only few of them actually live in Nigeria, so i think its no big deal.
Nigeria is not really benefitting from having lots of programmers
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Segzy23: 2:31pm On May 27, 2011
You need to even ask yourselve some more questions to help you narrow down your choice

What programming Language is easy to Learn?
What programming Language is here to stay and will still be around in 10 years?
What programming Language is in high demand in the Job market?
What programming Language most people around you are using? (Or that resources are readily available on the internet)
What programming Language is Ubiquitous?

Note: There is no point learning VB, Fortran, or Pascal when most people are moving away from these languages - as they are either no longer supported or there are 101 newer & better ways to develop an application/software.

You want to be in tune or ahead of the market.

Pls note there is no point starting with a Scripting Language If you are committed and want to really want to learn a programming Language. Yes Scripting languages are easier, but you may pick them up along the way. Just decide, and then focus on whatever you decide. There are too many libraries and frameworks that you may need to learn to work efectively with the Chosen Language of yours. So my advice is when you make up your mind, go for it.

C# or Java is not bad, depending on what you want to do. Do not waste your time learning Visual Basics that is no longer support by microsoft, pick one Prog. Language and then be an expert in it. Hope this helps
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by ektbear: 2:44pm On May 27, 2011
Segzy23:

Pls note there is no point starting with a Scripting Language If you are committed and want to really want to learn a programming Language.

What do you mean by this? Why is it a bad idea to learn a scripting language as your first language? What disadvantage is there?
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by babaibadan(m): 2:56pm On May 27, 2011
*subscribing*
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by OmoTier1(m): 3:01pm On May 27, 2011
@ poster, you need to narrow your choice down to whether you want to be a 'front' or 'back' end programmer -
# Front end, developing applications that interfaces with 'cores'
#Back end, writing codes for the 'cores'

Also, it depends on which area you are inclinded to. Guys who programme engineering codes dream of C++, Fortran, sometimes 'C'.

As for me ,it's C++ 4 live! it's the good oleh programming language if you are looking at a programming career that sticks!

Any body who can grasp the context of OOP in C++ can easily follow through with the other languages, just syntax style and what have you oleh! - my own personal view!
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by cocoduck: 3:46pm On May 27, 2011
Yes you said it all. 
ekt_bear:

If you are just starting out with learning how to program, I'd suggest first mastering a scripting language of some sort.

I use Ruby personally, but I'd suggest Python for someone starting from scratch (Lisp and Scheme are also pretty popular in academic/"first course on computer science" circles.)

So why a scripting language? Generally less code written to accomplish the same tasks as compiled languages like Java, C++ and C. Which means more time focusing on the big picture than on details, and thus more time actually learning important concepts. Reducing the amount of time it takes for you to go from "I'd like to write an application that does X" to actually rolling out that application I think is kind of important when you first start programming. . . it helps you stay motivated. And with the libraries available today, pretty much anything you want to do with a compiled language you can do with a scripting language. . . with Ruby I recently wrote some numerical linear algebra software. And you can also do GUIs, etc, etc.

Of course, there is a downside with interpreted languages. . . they usually are a bit slower than compiled languages. But for you, since you are starting from scratch and mainly trying to teach yourself, performance doesn't really matter at this point.

Now, if you get serious about programming or want to do it for a career, at some point you'll need to pick up additional languages. For example, if you follow my advice and master Python, your next job/project might end up using Java instead (for example.)

From what I've seen, the first language you learn is very unlikely to be the one you end up using later in life  smiley

Fortunately, once you master one programming language, to add the next one basically is just learning new syntax. I guess that is why I emphasize picking a relatively easy but expressive, well-designed language to start (like Python) so you can master the important ideas.

@OP; take up python first, after learning it, then you can switch to C++, and I encourage you to save some money and buy a computer preferably a laptop. download Python 2.7, from python website, if you  are into game programming like me, then download python 2.6.5(pygame compatible), then  google python programming books and download them from filestube.com  or if you can use bit torrent, google  python programming books torrent and download scores of python programming  ebooks and learn it on your own. I wont encourage you to go to any so called school to learn it. have a nice time bro

1 Share

Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by birdman(m): 4:53pm On May 27, 2011
Always start with C. Always. After mastering C, I've never had any other language take me more than a week to master (if you can name it, I've programmed in it). You could relax the rules and learn Java at the same time. But if you want to write world class code (no memory leaks, security holes etc, ) you have to start with the fundamentals. You also definitely DO NOT want to start with a scripting language. You pick up really bad habits and will shoot yourself in the foot when you move to more powerful languages.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by macomrades(m): 5:00pm On May 27, 2011
@OP, I do not know your motivation for learning but let me tell you the truth.

In as much as I respect all other view expressed here so far I must remind everyone that you only need to formally learn a language or two and pick up the rest as you grow your career and different tasks require different languages.

Start with a language like python (very simple syntax) or java (documentation is second to only probably PHP's) to understand the basic OOP concepts or you may want to get your hands dirty early on by learning C which is a smaller and also a procedural language but you would gain a lot by understanding the low-level implementation details like manipulating bits in memory etc.

Above all find a program you like and you pick the rest along the way.

Way to go!!!!!!
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by blindcopy: 5:05pm On May 27, 2011
We are overanalyzing his problem, people. The boy wants to learn PROGRAMMING. He doesnt know squat yet.

Once he understands PROGRAMMING, then he will be able to learn any PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE he wants in a few days max. Then you can start looking at stuff like, 'are there good prospects' or 'what are the career options', etc.

@Topic:

My friend, these are the two languages you should use to learn PROGRAMMING. Once you understand programming, then your next question will be
"What language is best for web development?" and then we can start arguing about php, python, etc.

Here are the answers:

1. To learn HOW TO PROGRAM: Use visual basic. Dont listen to what anyone else says. It is super easy and you will quickly grasp the basics.

2. To learn OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING: Use Java. It has the double benefit of being commercially successful, and in high demand but most importantly, a lot of quality info on the net about OOP assumes you know java. Also, it is a way to graduate from the hand-holding IDE of visual basic (you will learn what an IDE is when u study VB) to a less hand-holdy environment.

When you are through learning, from there you can jump into ANY language. Trust me. Follow this path and you can't go wrong!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Simple, Rich & Fast Approach To Learning Javascript. Whatsapp Group Inclusive / What's Programming Lauguage Do You Think Is Best To Start With / Ogun State Traims 200 Trained In Python Programming Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.