Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,193 members, 7,807,653 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

The First Time You Cooked? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The First Time You Cooked? (10055 Views)

White Girl Sees Nigerian Fried Plantain For The First Time And Reacts / See What A Lady Cooked For Her Man ! / Picture Of Jollof Rice Been Cooked By A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Time You Cooked? by ujuslims(f): 8:44am On Jul 22, 2007
The 1st Time You Cooked - What Was It Like?

Guess I'm not alone. First time I cooked- it was boiled Yam everything was going smoothly until I forgot that my hand hadn't been thoroughly washed after peeling the yam. I touched my face with the hand! and it was a terrible day! I itched like what i don't know, anyway momsy had to apply palm oil on the spots that were swollen on my face- chei! it was an experience.

When i cooked soup, it was Ogbono soup- it was very tasty o. but i can still remember those lumps! I guess everyone in my house ignored the lumps and praised me, cheesy What was it like the 1st time for you?
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by iice(f): 12:55pm On Jul 23, 2007
Disaster! grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by viee(f): 5:28pm On Jul 24, 2007
lol

i remember d first meal i made, i was 7yrs old then and my parents travelled
my kid brother (6) and I wanted to suprise them with a well prepared meal when they get back
so we decided to cook yam and stew
OMG , it was a trrible experince
lol cheesy
we actually prepared d stew well enuff ( U wan try) cheesy, but after peeling the yam we just like Uju touched our skin! shocked shocked
holy Moses!
we itched like crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
we didnt even get to enjoy d meal bc we were both crying!
our parents were proud sha and that made it a bit better grin grin grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by CrazyMan(m): 8:17pm On Jul 24, 2007
Hmm

First time i cooked, it was boiled rice actually and i added too much water to it, which made the rice look more like "akamu". I was so angry that day. I had to eat it like that since there was no other food at home.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by champredd(m): 7:04pm On Jul 25, 2007
I burn it Fry it dry. grin grin grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by ujuslims(f): 10:58pm On Jul 28, 2007
this is for real!
my brother's first time of frying an egg: the 1st one was too salty.
the 2nd one had too much pepper, and by the 3rd round we had given up hope
on him, he came up with bland egg without salt or pepper.

He then ventured to cook soup, oh my God! it was okro soup,
the okro and other ingredients went down to the base of the pot, while the water was in the middle
then the fish were floating just like a sea,
haven't seen any 1st time cookin worse than that.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by ikamefa(f): 11:10pm On Jul 28, 2007
iice:

Disaster! grin

grin unfortunately twas beans

arghhhhhhhhhhhh na so so water water oh! grin

the thing was full of stones, oil on one side, beans on one side grin grin grin grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by MP007(m): 11:45am On Jul 29, 2007
people that ate  my first whatever fought to use therest room(toilet) for the whole day, hehehehe grin grin grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by ujuslims(f): 9:45pm On Jul 29, 2007
MP007:

people that ate my first whatever fought to use therest room(toilet) for the whole day, hehehehe grin grin grin
no be small thing! pls what was it you cooked?
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by PTBNaija(f): 10:18pm On Jul 29, 2007
Never had a bad cooking experience. . .that I can remember grin haha. But the first time that I cooked my sister and I wanted to make stew for our parents for dinner so they didn't have to cook when they came back. We were both in elementary (primary school). It came out quite well. . .wasn't like Nigerian stew, more like Italian lol.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by rubie(f): 2:15pm On Aug 06, 2007
Well, it was eba, my dad tot me, and I had a hard time holding the stick.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by ujuslims(f): 11:02pm On Aug 07, 2007
was the eba like akamu?
cos I kinda remember my 1st eba days,
I always ended up sprinkling raw garri on the already made "eba wannabe"
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by otuwe(f): 1:36pm On Aug 09, 2007
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

you guys are really making me laff here. LOL

i cant believe am beta dan some people.

well here it goes.

i was in primary school and home alone cos mum and dad travelled and my siblins were in boarding school.

i cooked one cup of rice(not even full cup) with a whole gino tin tomato.

gush was it bad.

i was practically eating jellof tin tomatoes instead of jellof rice. was so happy i was all alone. so next time i used little tin tomatoes and it was perfect. . . .well almost perfect embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by trendy(f): 3:23pm On Aug 10, 2007
I cant even remember, the very first time
i remember one time i fried Yam embarassed some were not properly fried
my mouth scrathed me when i ate it embarassed embarassed
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by otuwe(f): 4:03pm On Aug 10, 2007
trendy:

I can't even remember, the very first time
i remember one time i fried Yam embarassed some were not properly fried
my mouth scrathed me when i ate it embarassed embarassed

LOL grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by narcissus(m): 11:10am On Aug 14, 2007
I can't remember much from my first time cooking but three things come to mind clearly: (1) putting the oil on fire, (2) Watching Voltron, (3) My neighbours sceaming fire fire fire. It was crazy, the entire new ceiling of my kitchen was changed from white to thick black. I still try to wash it everytime i go back home as penance for my sins. grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Aug 14, 2007
trendy:
I can't even remember, the very first time

Can't remember either,

But i won't forget in a jiffy the first time i pounded yam for some visitors. Gosh, it was so Stretchy, i felt the yam was bad. though, there were no lumps. grin I had to quickly pray over it, grin grin that God should make it tasty in their mouth and there should be "No Complaint" wink

It was later I knew that good yams get stretchy when pounded. Little me. Guess i got it all wrong.

Each time i remember this act i laff at myself.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Seun(m): 12:55pm On Aug 14, 2007
I think it was beans and I think it was barely edible. Apart from beans, the only meal I cook well is Indomie!
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by WebMonk(m): 1:12pm On Aug 14, 2007
Seun:

I think it was beans and I think it was barely edible. Apart from beans, the only meal I cook well is Indomie!

Count me as well.

The first went quite smoothly i was impressed (under the tutelage of a friend). My first experience with indomie was da bomb, until i sneezed when i was carrying the fry pan, the contents spilt on the floor. shocked

i was too angry to shout i went to bed. I mean, ALL THAT EFFORT TO EAT? (women you people dey try O!)

Re: The First Time You Cooked? by television(f): 1:23pm On Aug 14, 2007
the first time I cooked it was Yam. while slicing I managed to rub myself with the Yam and i scratched like hell.
   the yam was so strong (i.e half boiled) that my mum had to recook it when she came back cos it was not just edible. grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by santony2k(m): 1:44pm On Aug 14, 2007
First time I remember cooking was making "Obe ata" for Rice. I cooked rice and then found out there was no more stew. My sis convinced me to make "Ata din din" since we were all hungry. Men, did I fry the crap outta the stew or what? Kept it on the frying pan forever, oil splattering everywhere, too much salt, but the stew was tasty as hell. Told my sis to use and unsalty mouth to eat it so that way there would be a balance in the meal. And the meat, ? Another story!
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 14, 2007
I was seven and trying to be a good girl. Decided to suprise my parents by cooking jollof rice. Added all the correct ingriedents it was almost ready had a nice taste and aroma and i decided to crown my beautiful meal by adding potash.
Whe everyone came back the food was served looked so good till someone actually tasted it and all hell broke loose everybody was running out to throw the food away. I felt so bad but my sister consoled me and thought me the proper way to cook
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Allta(m): 2:05pm On Aug 14, 2007
It was Pathetic,

I fried Egg for about 25mins thinking it'll take time to Cook , you get me?

It took our Neighbors to come in despite all the smoke and I will never forget that day. I must be around 13 years or so

Peace Out!
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by soulpatrol(f): 2:13pm On Aug 14, 2007
@ Alta shocked grin grin no comment. lmao
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by PTH(m): 2:31pm On Aug 14, 2007
i was 10, my parents stayed out unexpectedly late and we were getting hungry so i decided to surprise them by making eba. Obviously i thought all i need to make it was moderately hot water.

I didnt notice the eba didnt look right until it started crumbling inside the soup, it tasted like soaked garri.

My parents ate it proudly! grin of course those lazy brothers of mine complained forever.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by omoge(f): 2:33pm On Aug 14, 2007
@ alta grin hope you still cook your egg like that, eggs must be throughly cook abi grin keep it up my friend lol.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by omoge(f): 2:36pm On Aug 14, 2007
that na real eba PTH, did you give it a name? grin

aisha, what soup were you cooking with potash? Kukah or dry okra, or Iron Bean? good job my sister grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by funmeme(f): 2:43pm On Aug 14, 2007
my own experience was mixture of both.

i was ask 2 cook rice and i did well but some days later i was ask 2 cook yam& egg omo,

the salt in the yam can be used to cook for big party food it cnt even be tasted 2ce i cried all tru cos ma sisters made fun of me

thanks to ma dad that rescue me with words of encouragement May his Gentle soul rest in perfect peace

Dad i love u soooooooooooooo much but God loves u most.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by tnaidaR(f): 3:01pm On Aug 14, 2007
Lmao @ y'all

Actually my first meal ever was boiled yam and egg stew. That was excellent.

Now hear this;

My first main meal was jollof rice. Chai! You can't imagine embarassed

After I perboiled the rice, I put the tomatoes inside the pot with oil and onions. Added water and then poured the rice inside. Fair enough, huh?. grin I now added all the ingredients but didn't mix it at all shocked. When the food was ready, Dear lawd! me and my brother had to taste every part of the pot looking for tasty food. As in, some parts were white and tasteless and some parts were very red and too salty embarassed grin

Man don learn sha wink grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Allta(m): 3:25pm On Aug 14, 2007

@ Alta no comment. lmao

@ soulpatrol
Well, just remembering the good old days, it's been a long time now

@ alta hope you still cook your egg like that, eggs must be throughly cook abi keep it up my friend lol.
@Omoge
Well, like I said, can't forget that day, it was embarrasing, but that was the last time it happened. I then went on to be better at cooking. I won the Best Beans Cook in my University Days, I became the Best Cook in my Family till Date. I remember in the Uni, females queue for my delicious meals, Glad I had to learn the hard way, you know, Isn't that Amazing?
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by ne4real(f): 3:44pm On Aug 14, 2007
i cant remember anything happened on that day
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 14, 2007
Allta:

I won the Best Beans Cook in my University Days

lol

but why is it that you guys like beans alot. In school then, a guy can go for Beans in the morning, noon and probably night. huh, i do wonder why?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lovely Cake Pictures / Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut / Legend Green Tea, Lemon And Ginger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.