Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,697 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! (8622 Views)

Volvo V70 / His Honda Cross Tour Was Snatched In Abuja - Please Help / Siena's Project B6 Audi A4 Quattro - First Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 10:27pm On May 28, 2011
Hello guys!

Just thought I'd share my new project on here.

It's a 2001 Volvo V70. A bit of background on her:

This car was taken for its annual MOT back in 2006. She failed, on worn front suspension, bald fron tyres, dead catalyst, binding rear brake calipers, blowing exhaust. She was generally neglected, and the owner then decided she wanted out - she wasn't prepared to spend the money getting her ship-shape.

So, from 2006 - may 2011, this Volvo V70 languished, sat in the MOT tester's garage, and got forgotten. The owner of the garage got fed up, and parked her in the yard, in the open, So for 5 winters and summers, the elements worked their havoc on the poor car.

Cue Siena - never one to turn down a challenge. The owner got in touch with me via a referral, and asked if I'd be interested in buying her. Of course I was interested - at the right price. So, a deal was struck, I parted with a paltry sum, and X317VBW was mine!

I turned up at the MOT tester's garage yesterday after work. The owner of the garage had left the key on the passenger's side front wheel.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 28, 2011
I arrived with a friend, and got my first glimpse of the car. I got a shock.

The car was all there, no doubt. But, it looked like it had been raised from a swamp. 5 years of tree sap, dead leaves and bird droppings had transformed the car into something that vaguely resembled a Volvo V70. I knew she'd been laid up for 5 years, but wasn't prepared for what I saw.

Upon getting a battery connected, sadly, 5 years of neglect and non-running, had seized the engine solid. The starter motor wouldn't even turn the engine the slightest bit. It was frozen. The coolant in the cooling system could best be described as mud. It was a thick brown mess, and not a lot at that. A quick look under the engine revealed the core plugs had been forced out of the engine block, 3 out of five,

It was a tow home then!
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 10:42pm On May 28, 2011
It sure would be interesting to see how this Lazarus will be resurrected. (See John 11:17-46)
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 28, 2011
Today, the 28th may, I delved into the engine bay. By removing the spark plugs, pouring clean engine oil into each of the 5 cylinders (it's a 2,4L I5 20V) I was able to turn the engine over by using a 21mm socket and a long breaker bar on the crank pulley. Working the crankshaft pulley back and forth, I was able to get the engine to turn 6 complete revolutions. At least, the motor was free!

I tackled the core plugs next. Though 3 were blown out, I decided to replace all 5, as a precaution. I also drained the old engine oil, replaced the oil filter, fuel fulter, air filter, spark plugs, and did a coolant flush.

3 hours later, was the moment of truth. I boosted up the battery, and turned the ignition key. I was rewarded on the 2nd try - the 2,4L 5-cylinder 20V engine purred to life! I was already resigned to replacing the engine - usually, a seized engine will break piston rings when freed up. In this instance, I was lucky. She purred sweetly, without appearing to have suffered irreversible damage from her 5 years of inactivity.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 28, 2011
I guess the car has a nickname already then: Lazarus
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:00pm On May 28, 2011
Right now, she looks filthy - the exterior is covered in tree sap, dead leaves, traffic film and rock-hard bird droppings.

The interior's no better. It looks (and smells) like it's been home to an extremely large canine. But, the good news is, everything works. This is the spec:

Make: Volvo.
Model: V70.
Engine: 2,435cc I5 DOHC 20V.
Fuel system: Single Point Fuel Injection.
Fuel type: Petrol
Induction: Naturally aspirated.
Cylinder head: Light alloy.
Cylinder block: Cast aluminium.

TRANSMISSION

5 speed manual.
Drive: FWD.

PERFORMANCE

Power: 170 bhp.
Torque: 225 Nm (166 lb-ft).
0-60 mph: 8,7 secs.
Maximum speed: 137 mph (222 km/h).

RUNNING COSTS

30 mpg.
Euro Emission Standard: Euro IV.

COMFORT

Automatic Climate Control.
Full Cream Leather.
Cruise Control.
Heated Front Seats.
Driver's Information Systen (On-Board Computer).
CD Player / Cassette Player / FM-AM Stereo.
7 Seater.
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror.
Central Locking.
Electric Windows.
Electric Sunroof.

SAFETY

8 Airbags.
Anti-Lock Brakes.
EBD )Electronic Brake Distribution).

SECURITY

Immobilliser.
Alarm.
Alloy Wheels.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 28, 2011
Costee:

I guess the car has a nickname already then: Lazarus

You're not far wrong there!
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:03pm On May 28, 2011
I'll be documenting her progress. I'm taking her into work. I'll put her on a hoist, and give her a thorough going over, prior to her MOT. All faults will be rectified. She's booked in for her MOT on Wednesday the 1st June.

In the meantime, some pictures as she looks right now:
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 28, 2011

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:07pm On May 28, 2011

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 28, 2011

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:15pm On May 28, 2011
Tomorrow after church, I'm going to give the exterior a good wash. The interior will definitely need a heavy-duty wash and shampoo. That will involve removing the seats. The leather itself is in good shape, but would benefit from a session with leather treatment and wax.

Hopefully, that'll shift the canine smell!

As a precaution, I'll be replacing the timing belt and pullets / idlers / tensioners. She definitely needs a couple of new tyres on the front, and the alloy wheels refurbished. They're the standard 7.5"x16", with 215/55x16 tyres. Depending on my mood, I may well invest in a new set of alloys and tyres, in a more manly 8"x18" with 225/45x18 tyres.

Time will tell!
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:18pm On May 28, 2011
Externally, she'll need a new replacement fuel filler flap (hers is missing) and the rear right-hand quarter panel will need tome minor repairs - there's a slight crease in it. I will have the entire car mopped and polished, to achieve a glass-like shine.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Adnroid: 11:29pm On May 28, 2011
Siena, Hi
your project is like god sent to me, I am presently struggling to decide to buy a V70 XC XWD with 275k kms I love the design and interior but it is also standing at dealer,s for some time and in disrepair and would also need some restoration, I will be following your progress to get inspired.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by eros(m): 11:51pm On May 28, 2011
As always, i will be closely following your progress.

I just love what you do with cars and how you treat them right.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 28, 2011
Thanks, Eros and Android.

Will be posting pictures of the filthy interior tomorrow.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by oblo(m): 6:35am On May 29, 2011
Siena baba, nice one, she is already looking like a beauty that she is!
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Shagati(m): 9:13am On May 29, 2011
When I started reading the thread, I was anxious to see the pictures of the 'wreck'.

By the time I scrolled down to the pictures, I found a car that still looked better (in its 'unwashed/filthy') state than many vehicles on Lagos roads grin

Keep up the good work bro

Nice!

2 Likes

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Dizzybizzy: 10:12am On May 29, 2011
Not looking as bad as I tot will be.
Good luck!
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 10:57am On May 29, 2011
A brand new day - soon time to roll up my sleeves, and get to work. Honestly, with the filthy interior, I'm not sure where to start. You'll see from the posted pictures later in the day.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by sultaan(m): 1:08pm On May 29, 2011
For the paint job, a clay bar and a good coat of wax should be good enough.

Pressure wash engine bay

Synthetic oil should help remove some of the gunk in engine, and could make an existing leak worse.

Cooling system needs to be flushed thoroughly to clean out the rust in radiator, engine and evaporator.

Fuel injector cleaner is also a good idea. Brake fluid flush(basically all fluids changed)

Grease slide pins, resurface rotors(if going cheap) otherwise change binding caliper all brakes and rotors.

Suspension needs alignment suspension(V70s struts& mounts, Control Arms,ball joints) go bad easy.

Wheel can be buffed and painted with duplicolor wheel color in spray cans

Cooling fan recalled.

I was looking to ship one to naija this year, because of ability to carry seven pas, without paying N350k duty on 5 pas SUV, fuel economy, not armed robber magnet, cargo space.

For the deal you got I would have bought it too knowing engine and trans were in good shape.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 29, 2011
Sultaan, you know your onions.

I don't subscribe to injector cleaners though. I remove them, test them and send them off for ultrasonic cleaning (if spray pattern is bad). Rattle cans for wheels is not great long term, as the thin paint isn't resistant to hot brake dust, which will etch them in no time.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Fhemmmy: 1:36pm On May 30, 2011
Subscribed and surely will learn more from this thread
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by marcar(m): 4:13pm On May 30, 2011
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 30, 2011
Been a busy day, what with family commitments - taking my wife and daughter into town to do some shopping, as well as trying to put in my quota in work-wise on the Volvo V70.

As per my original plan, I gave the car a quick exterior, and spent ages on the extremely grubby interior. I had to wear surgical gloves, there were that many unknown horrors sticking to the carpet, and some pretty suspicious-looking stains on the rear seats. I don't even want to imagine what they were, or how they got there. Urrrrrgh!
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 30, 2011
Some pictures of the filthy interior:

Footwell behind passenger's seat, and rear of the seat itself:

Footwell behind driver's seat, and rear of the seat itself:

Front footwells:

Sliding the passenger's seat fully forward, I found this:

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 6:07pm On May 30, 2011
Driver's footwell:

Passenger's footwell:

Luggage compartment, under third row of seats:

Under driver's side rear seat:

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 30, 2011
Giving the exterior a quick was would enable me see which panels required attention, as far as little dents go. So this is how she looks now:

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 30, 2011
More exterior shots:

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Fhemmmy: 6:18pm On May 30, 2011
Not as bad as you made me fear oh . . . Like one gentleman said earlier, this is way better than most of the rides in Nigeria, i am sure a cab on Lagos road wont be as clean as this.
Following the thread and hoping to learn more than one thing
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 30, 2011
I was pretty impressed how well the paintwork came up. I haven't done any sort of detailing as yet. This is just after a regular shampoo. I shall be attending to the creases above both rear wheel arches, painting them, before giving the rest of the car a clay, and wax. The wheels, I haven't decided on - if I decide to keep them 16", I'll refurb them, and paint them in anthracite / grey.

Or I may decide to go 18". As I'm not keeping the car, it makes sense to spend more time and money on what actually needs doing, as opposed to cosmetics. Still, a nice set of 18" wheels at the right price won't hurt. . .
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 6:22pm On May 30, 2011
I gave the interior a quick clean too, using very hot water with bleach, a microfibre cloth and spray-on upholstery cleaner. I shall carry out a full valet, which will involve removing the seats, so I can deep steam clean the carpets, and allow them to dry. The leather will also be thoroughly cleaned, and treated with hide wax.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kia/Hundai G4LA engine 1.2liter / Why You Need To Run A Scan On Your Vehicle Before Repairs / Brand New Car Batteries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.