Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

Human Resource Professionals: - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Human Resource Professionals: (331568 Views)

How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? / Human Resource Management In Canada / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (91) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by LadyM1: 3:01pm On Jun 09, 2008
Yemmight, tnx dear am so grateful.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by finguy(m): 8:12pm On Jun 10, 2008
please i am at a cross road inmy life. i am a graduate of political science and public administration, and i worked for a financial institution now, we are into funds management, stock broking,etc. i have been so confused on the professional exam to take, i feel like doing the cis, but then the influence just came from my present job, i have looked at ican but i dont think i can stay that long without exemptions, and i have recently been thinking of doing the cipm,please can u all give me full details of the exams, and i will love it if i can get their syllabus as i have tried checking online with no results.
and whats the duration, and in a changing and competitive world now, where most profesionals go for the MBA, does being a Chatered personnel manager have any edge to that.
sorry if i sound stupid, but i need help,
thanks all.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by vitamin(f): 5:59pm On Jun 15, 2008
@ yemmight please do you have any job links for my friend a fresh graduate NYSC completed with certification in NIM and CIPM seeking a career in HR and also experience. Thanx
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by oluyele(f): 8:54am On Jun 16, 2008
@ yemmight,

Hello Yemiight, its been a long time, i am so happy that you have kept the forum alive, i would like to send you an email so if you do not mind could you send me your email addy or send a mail to me at oluadebiyi@gmail.com,

thank you.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Choco(f): 1:31pm On Jun 16, 2008
Our client a Business Consulting firm with practice areas in the financial services, oil & gas, service & government and manufacturing, is seeking for exceptional professionals with strong collaborative orientation in getting things done and have a strong potential for learning both in terms of ability and willingness.

If you think you fit, then log on to www.irisjobstation.com and apply to compete for the following positions: You can also send your CVs to konyenasom@irisconsulting.info
***DEADLINE: JULY 2, 2008
ASSOCIATE CONSULTANTS, CONSULTANTS AND SENIOR CONSULTANTS WANTED URGENTLY

ROLE: Analyst/Associate Consultant

FUNCTION:
* Involved in completion of at least one medium/large or two smaller projects.
* Technical and/or business process knowledge (e.g. finance, oil and gas or logistics).
* Deliver work products with regular supervision.

FUNCTIONAL KNOWLEDGE:
* Ability to share knowledge within the project team and trained in at least one Consulting methodology.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Works on clearly bounded project tasks and defined processes and develops specific work products.

YEARS OF PROFESSIONAL WORK:
* 0-2 years as a consultant; typically 1 year minimum

EDUCATION, PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION:
* Graduate and relevant technical qualifications as well as basic ability to cope with Consulting training in methodologies, consultant skills and technical areas.

ROLE: Consultant I, II, III

FUNCTION:
* Must have completed at least two medium / large projects with work products in design and implementation with limited supervision.
* Thorough understanding of business processes and at least a Consulting methodology.
* Can delivers specific work products with moderate to limited supervision and in some cases will be able to act as team leader.

FUNCTIONAL KNOWLEDGE:
* Trained in at least one Consulting methodology and has applied the relevant areas before.
* Applies experience built from previous projects/industry and shares knowledge across the project team.
* Applies project management tools and has expert knowledge.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Responsible for small sub projects (3-8 staff) or on larger projects responsible for key processes and defined tasks.

* At least 3 years in the relevant discipline (including industry experience).

* Graduate, possibly with additional degrees such as MBA or other professional qualifications as well as intermediate level Consulting training in a skill, methodology or technical area.

ROLE: Senior Consultant

FUNCTION:
* Completed at least four medium / large projects and delivered work-products in concept, design, testing and implementation without supervision.
* Experience in delivering Consulting methodology and packaging it to fit the client.
* Requires minimal supervision, is responsible for large projects and is involved with quality reviews of their own projects.

FUNCTIONAL KNOWLEDGE:
* Ability to lever Consulting knowledge where appropriate and is known within Nigerian Consulting environment as someone who has subject matter expertise.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Could manage a multidiscipline team of at least 20 people using established management methodology and tools.

* 6-10 years including significant industry experience

* Graduate, possibly with additional degrees such as an MBA or other professional qualifications.
* Evidence of Continuous professional development in Consulting.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 9:19am On Jun 18, 2008
@ vitamin

For now, I don't have any opening for HR entry. However, I will advice you check Tuesday Guardian more often. In addition, send your CV to my e:mail add. I put your CV in KIV.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by oluyele(f): 9:34am On Jun 18, 2008
@yemmight

thanks, got your mail, sent you a reply

oluyele
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 11:51am On Jun 18, 2008
@finguy

First you need to seek for a career. You are a Political Science Graduate and working in Stockbroking firm, as what? If you have been functioning as an HR person, fine you can without doubt go for your CIPM exams, but if you are in Finance as your story sounds, why can’t you proceed with the accounting line you have been?

If you are taking into consideration switching to HR now you must also consider your age, zeal, passion to lean and skills to deliver on the job otherwise you may perhaps end up discontented in your career.

Let us all confer more about this. However, underlisted is CIPM Calendar/information.

Admission Requirement

The mode of admission into the membership of the Institute is by examination only. Applicants are to obtain the application form with the syllabus for the sum of =N=3,000.00 (Three thousand Naira only). Full information about the examination in contained in the syllabus and applicants are enjoined to read it carefully.

The Institute’s Professional Certificate is the ultimate professional qualification for Human Resource and Industrial Relations practice in Nigeria. Consequently, the minimum educational requirement for admission is the West African School Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level) with credit in five subjects, which must include English Language and Mathematics. Ordinary pass in either English Language or Mathematics may be considered for applicants with a Degree/HND.

STAGES EXAMINATION FEES TUTORIAL FEES
FOUNDATION I N15, 000.00 N12, 500.00
FOUNDATION II N17, 500.00 N15, 000.00
INTERMEDIATE I N20, 000.00 N17, 500.00
INTERMEDIATE II N22, 500.00 N20, 000.00
PROFESSIONAL EXAMINATION I N25, 000.00 N22, 500.00
PROFESSIONALEXAMINATION II N27, 500.00 N25, 000.00

FINAL PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS SOCIAL RESEARCH METHODS COURSE
N20, 000.00 PROJECT FEE
N8, 500.00

Exemptions Issues

i. Foundation I is the starting point for holders of WAEC/NECO/GCE Ordinary level and Ordinary National Diploma result.
They must possess results with 5 credits including credits in English and Mathematics. They shall write all the levels of
the examinations.

ii.a. B.A/B Sc/HND holders, with a minimum of Pass in the Social Sciences, Humanities and Management courses would
begin from Intermediate I.

b. B.A/B Sc/HND holders, with a minimum of two years experience), from other disciplines would begin from Intermediate

iii. B.A/B.Sc/HND holders in the areas mentioned in (ii) above with minimum of 2nd Class lower or lower Credit
prior to the date of admission shall begin from

Intermediate II.

iv. Holders of higher degrees e.g. M.A/M.Sc/MBA/M.Phil/Ph.D in relevant disciplines shall begin from PE I.
v. Candidates who hold the certificate of other recognized Institute, with a degree/HND and possess the
requisite five credits at Ordinary level shall begin from PE I upon submission of the student’s transcript from
such institute.
vi. Holders of higher degrees in irrelevant disciplines shall begin from Intermediate II.
o Exemption fees has been reviewed downward as follows:

Foundation II - N8, 750.00
Intermediate I - N10, 000.00
Intermediate II - N11, 250.00
PE I -N12, 500.00

Students placed on any of the above levels will pay the corresponding fee for exemption, excluding N2, 500 for the Exemption Form.
To be given exemptions, the candidate must obtain the relevant form from the Education Department at the National Secretariat, pay the prescribed non-refundable fee and make his request for the exemption. Such a request must have reached the Institute not later than three months before the date of an examination to enable the applicant receive the correspondence and prepare for the examination as necessary.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by LadyM1: 5:00pm On Jun 18, 2008
Yemimight

tnx a lot taking out time to type out d informatn 4 us.

Our Lord will reward Amen.

tnx onceagain
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by gben1: 11:07am On Jun 20, 2008
hello. am seriously interested in the HR JOB can u pls link me up call me on my number 08038030548 gbenga ogundipe
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by next4life(m): 3:07pm On Jun 24, 2008
@Yemimight
Great work you doing here, dont get tired or attending to almost everybody its because REAL HR people are not much in Nigeria.
Pls i need your advice, I am a 2;2 graduate of Economics Education from Ife, which of the stages will i start from? i ve been with their website for a while and its not really cooperating at all.Please advice.
Also do you know of any good tutorial center around Akure because i stay in there,or can i do the reading on my own?
Please advice ASAP.
Thanks,
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 5:23pm On Jun 24, 2008
next4life,

With your grade, you will start from intermediate II.

Study centres available for now.

• Abia • Abuja • Akwa Ibom • Cross Rivers • Delta • Kaduna • Lagos • Ogun • Osun • Oyo • Rivers

Abia

Kanaac Consultancy Services
Plot 269, Aba- Owerri Road
Opp. Ngwa High School,
Abayi – Aba, Abia State.

Abuja
African Business School Capital City Polytechnic Brand Egde Consulting
Plot 559C, NCWS Building, Sassandra Street, 3rd Floor Left Wing
Near FCDA, Suite 205, Wuse Zone 6, Lagos State House
Abuja. Abuja. Ralph Shodeinde Street
Central Business District
Akwa Ibom State
93, Udoumana Street,
Uyo, Akwa –Ibom State.

Cross Rivers
Human Resources and Enterprises Development Associates Limited
45, Murtala Mohammed Highway,
Calabar, Cross River State.

Delta State
Omajoa Nigeria Limited
200, Jakpa Road Effurun
Warri, Delta State.

Kaduna State CIPMN – Kaduna State Branch
Eagle Eye Integrated Ventures c/o Nigeria Textile Manufacturers’ Association
73, Galadima street, off Byepass Express road, Kaduna State.
Trikania, Kaduna south.

Lagos State

Recore Limited
10B, James Oluleye Street
Off Adeniyi Jones Avenue

Poliskonsult Associates
C/O Iganmu Jnr/Snr High School
Km 3, Lagos-Badagry Expressway,
Adekunle Deen Close,
School Junction Bus stop
Opp. Adonia Petrol Station
Orile-Iganmu

Fixded Heart International Coaching Centre
1, Chief Raimi Adedokun Way
Behind Spoonfeeders’ Restaurant
Roundabout, Gbagada – Lagos.

Xpress Business Services Ltd.
Xpress House, Gas Plant Road
Off Otunba Jobi Fele Way
Ikeja Central Business District ,
Alausa – Ikeja, Lagos.

University Faculty Development Centre
39A, Ayilara Street
Surulere – Lagos.

Kaad Trust International Ventures
Logemo House, 151, Ikorodu Road
4th Floor, Onipanu– Lagos.

Mohaco Prospect & Liberty Ventures
5 /7 , Queens Barracks Road,
Off Roundabout Bus Stop, Apapa Lagos.

Personel Practitioner Consultative Association(PPCA),
Ikeja C/o Grange School,Harold Shodipo Cresent, GRA Ikeja. Lagos.

Ogun State
Olabisi Onabanjo University Consultancy Services
21, Igbeba Road
Shonibare Estate

Deroy Link Consulting
Suite 12, Ojolowo Shopping Complex,
75, Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway,
Sango – Otta, Ogun State.

Allover Central Polytechnic
Lynson Chemical Avenue, Brendero Road
Behind Gacool Industries
Sango – Otta, Ogun State.

Padickay Management Institute
Block D - Room 202
New Orisunmibare Shopping Complex,
M.D.S Area,
Osogbo, Osun State.

Oyo State Branch
14A Mokola Avenue,
Near CENFEX High School,
Off St. Louis Grammar School,
Mokola, Ibadan, Oyo

Maycare & Associates
3rd Floor, Wuraola Building,
1, New Adeoyo Junction Ring Road
Ibadan, Oyo State.

Eulegia Business Services
C/o SF Business Info-Tech Suite
1st Floor Liberty House
Opposite U. I. Main Gate
Beside Efunbola Pharmacy
Ibadan, Oyo State.

Rivers State

Managing Consultant
Azure Management Services,
Bosanto Suites,
No. 6 Industry road,
Port Harcourt, Rivers State
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by prettyblaz: 1:28pm On Jun 25, 2008
Hi Yemmight,

pls i ve a friend who is a fresh graduate that read psychology and also a cipm student member for now, his current job is administrative but he wants to be in the personnel/ HR. He wants to take the PHR,SPHR,GPHR exam and forget completing the CIPM levels cos he feels those ones are on a higher levels.
Please what do you think?
i need your advice to pass it on
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 1:43pm On Jun 25, 2008
prettyblaz

PHR,SPHR,GPHR ?

What are they? Never had of it
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 2:05pm On Jun 25, 2008
HR Quotes (Guardian of Tuesday 24/05/08)

Enjoy these HR Quotes

An empowered organization is one in which individuals have the knowledge, skill, desire and opportunity to personally succeed in a way that leads to collective organizational success.

Stephen Covey

Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

Michael Jordan

Company cultures are like country cultures. Never try to change one. Try instead to work with what you have got.

Peter Drucker

The glue that holds all relationships together including the relationship between the leader and the led is trust, and trust is based on integrity.

Brian Tracy

The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what they want done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.

Theodore Roosevelt

2 Likes

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 3:16pm On Jun 25, 2008
HR Politics

• Competitive Salary - We remain competitive by paying less than our
Competitors.

• Join our fast paced company - We have no time to train you.

• Casual work atmosphere - We don’t pay much to expect that you will dress up.

• Must be deadline oriented – You will be six months behind schedule on your first day

• Some overtime required - Sometimes each night and sometimes each weekend

• Duties will vary - Anyone in the office can boss you around

• Must have an eye for details - We have no quality control

• Apply in person - If you are old, fat or ugly, you will be told the position is
filled.

• No phone calls please - We have filled the position, our call for resumes is just a
legal formality.

• Requires team leadership skills - You will have the responsibility of a manager
without the pay or respect.

• Good communication skills - Management communicates, you listen, figure out
what they want and do it.

3 Likes

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by oluyele(f): 1:43pm On Jun 26, 2008
@yemmight,

you have no knowledge of the shr,phr and the ghr certification

wow, ok go to www.shrm.org and feast your eyes and knowledge,

thanks and let me know what you think.

oluyele.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by prettyblaz: 2:15pm On Jun 26, 2008
@oluyele,

i guess you know more, pls advise.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by oluyele(f): 3:17pm On Jun 26, 2008
@prettyblaz,

the SHRM is an international body or more definitely a US body of HR professional, the UK equivalent of CIPD, the certification is seriously sort after and surprisingly there are exam centers here in Lagos.

you would need to apply online for the student member ship and you would be sent an exam package. really you need to read all the stuff about it online and the application fee and exam fee differ per diet,

please visit www.shrm.org.

thanks

oluyele.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by prettyblaz: 3:24pm On Jun 26, 2008
i know that and i also know the only center that you can write it in nigeria, but all i want to know is btwn phr and cipm which would you prefer, the person is already a member of shrm
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 6:04pm On Jun 26, 2008
oluyele:

@yemmight,

you have no knowledge of the shr,phr and the ghr certification

wow, ok go to www.shrm.org and feast your eyes and knowledge,

thanks and let me know what you think.

oluyele.

My area of concentration in my career is how relevance is a body is or certification. You can bag so many online certificate truly but ask yourself how relevant are they to your career. I think overtime I have realize this.

If you look at vacancies in the dailies as regard HR positons only emphasy is CIPM. Fine you can get your oversea certification but CIPM is No 1 as far as you are still here.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by babyotu: 5:45pm On Jun 28, 2008
i am a graduate of history and diplomatic studies with 2.2 i also have a diploma in industrial relations and personnel management. i am so passionate about this proffession.i have registered with the cipm and would take this august diet exams. is there anything else i should so that when i complete my NYSC next year  i wont have any difficulty to find a job in HR.
THANK YOU
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 10:03am On Jun 30, 2008
babyotu:

i am a graduate of history and diplomatic studies with 2.2 i also have a diploma in industrial relations and personnel management. i am so passionate about this proffession.i have registered with the cipm and would take this august diet exams. is there anything else i should so that when i complete my NYSC next year i wont have any difficulty to find a job in HR.
THANK YOU

I believe you have taken a very good step. But please dont stop @ just this August you can as well put in for February. By the time you put your cv forward it will be attarctive.

I hope you get some contibutions from other people on this forum too.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by coi: 5:33pm On Jul 18, 2008
My fellow HR professionals, I visited the Secretaries (or Personal Assistant) forum and discovered they are really doing good job for themselves.

I think we can do better than what we are doing at present but it seems we leave everything to the hands of few to present while we sit back and enjoy without contribution.
I have a challenge, which I’m sure most of you are facing in your different offices.
I find it very discouraging how we are tossed at the background and make to be insignificant just because they see us as non-profit centre.
This is wrong because no company can exist without good HR. We manage people and managing people is the most difficult task.

Please can more experienced professionals encourage us and advice on how to face this challenge.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Teejay07(m): 9:22am On Jul 20, 2008
@coi,

thanks for your concern about the need for HR Professionals to close ranks on this forum. Well, you have thrown the challenge, lets see how best we can share knowledge here and be the better for it.

With regards to the issue of HR as a 'Non-Profit centre' My response goes as thus:

Yes, Personnel Management (the percussor to HR) started out (more) as an administrative function. But, over the years HR/ Human Capital Management has grown to be bigger and beyond being just an appendage to the organisation. (I wonder if I am not beginning to sound like a teacher here. If i do, my apologies please.)

According to a renowned scholar, an organisation can confer competitive (Strategic? I wonder which it is now!) and sustainable advantage on itself through focus on four key areas: Strategy, Processes, Technology and People.If this be true then, it means those obsolete and purely administrative approaches hitherto employed will not suffice in the current day and age. Thus, in the transformation into HR/ Human Capital Management, HR's role has since become (as stated in Ulrich's Model) that of Strategic Business Partner, Change Agent, Administrative Expert and Employee Champion.

The challenge from the foregoing is for the HR Professional to review the four domains of Ulrich. Thereafter, we as professionals should design, deploy, continually monitor, evaluate and adapt various HR Programmes tailored to meet the (ever changing) needs of our different organisations. Though HR has the arduous task of 'managing people'. However, don't forget that the line managers are actually managers of people too, alongside their responsibility for managing resources and the bottom-line.

Our ability to manage people as HR  Professionals should go beyond the 'casino'/ administrative side of the 'business of the organisation Foremost on our minds should be the need to truly understand our organisation's business then find means of partnering with the organisation to design and deploy programmes that would result in better leadership, improved performance management, excellent reward and motivation (within the context of the organisation's ability to sustain this), resourcing e.t.c., e.t.c. among others.

I guess I need to pause here. I hope I have made sense, though. If there is need for further cclarification let me know, I would gladly do this.

Thank you.

PS. @yemmight, i said this in my earlier post on this thread, and i am going to repeat it again - You have indeed tried to sustain this thread. Well done, and best wishes.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by coi: 6:26pm On Jul 22, 2008
Teejay07,
you have really made sense.
there is need for the HR professionals to be business driven and understand their organisation's big picture thoroughly.
they should not only strategise towards retaining talents, they should also be there as mentors, counselors and employee motivators and be able to influence key decisions and policies. this way, they will not be tossed to the background.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Teejay07(m): 10:10pm On Jul 22, 2008
coi,

now we are really reading from the same page. Nice to know that there are people like you who share this passion to ensure the relevance of HR in an organisation.

Nice one.

Thanks.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 12:05pm On Jul 24, 2008
HR jobs is thankless jobs no matter how much efforts and contributions you have made to it. But it's your career, you are enjoying it, that is only your strenght. That strenght has kepts me in HR since 1999.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 12:12pm On Jul 24, 2008
coi:

My fellow HR professionals, I visited the Secretaries (or Personal Assistant) forum and discovered they are really doing good job for themselves.

I think we can do better than what we are doing at present but it seems we leave everything to the hands of few to present while we sit back and enjoy without contribution.
I have a challenge, which I’m sure most of you are facing in your different offices.
I find it very discouraging how we are tossed at the background and make to be insignificant just because they see us as non-profit centre.
This is wrong because no company can exist without good HR. We manage people and managing people is the most difficult task.

Please can more experienced professionals encourage us and advice on how to face this challenge.

I agree with you. I have tried to stay away temporarily so that HR Profesionals won't be seen as a one man show. I expected people to come out and let us trash some of the issues affecting us. It can't be perfect and interesting If I am the only 1 running the show. So I am using this medium to plead with HR pple to make this forum an Interactive one.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 12:28pm On Jul 24, 2008
Let me share this presentation with you all.  I attended training on recruitment and selection with Philips Consulting early this month.  This is the presentation I developed from the training materials from Philips to enable me present it internally for some managers.  The  training materials is very rich but I just summarized from it.  I will also send to you material on Managerial Development Skills @ Impact Training  ASAP.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 12:42pm On Jul 24, 2008
The file is too large, it keeps bouncing back.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by coi: 5:29pm On Jul 24, 2008
Yemmight,
thats so thoughtful of you.
we will appreciate having a feel of that. you can forward them in parts.
thanks for the encouragement you are giving beginners in the profession.
we really appreciate your effort.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (91) (Reply)

Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! / Salary In The Nigerian Army? / Any HSE Professionals In The House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.