Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,751 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? (5979 Views)

Nigerians To Represent Africa At The Hacker Olympics / Meet 13year Old Wang Zhengyang, The Youngest Hacker In China / Guess Nigerian Programmers Are Not Bad Afterall. This Sucker Got Beaten By One. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Cyborg2011: 9:40pm On May 29, 2011
These are the kinds of things dreams are made of, a 14 year old hacker on Call of Duty was just recruited by Microsoft. You heard me right, Microsoft.

It seems now days that instead of going to college, one can just hack into a website or service and get recruited by some big name company like Microsoft. The 14 year old from Dublin, Ireland had broken into the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 servers last month and started a phishing scam to get user information. Microsoft had initially thought the attack was a part of the same attack against the PlayStation Network and issued an alert. Word of the collaboration between Microsoft and the 14 year old came straight from Microsoft:

Paul Rellis delivered his key note address during Bank of Ireland Business Week. Rellis revealed that Microsoft planned to work with the Dublin teenager to develop his talent for legitimate purposes.

His name was not revealed, however I am sure it will turn up soon. What do you think? Should Microsoft be working with this kid?

Source: http://www.tekgoblin.com/2011/05/27/14-year-old-call-of-duty-hacker-hired-by-microsoft/
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Pelumiv(m): 11:54pm On May 29, 2011
Its good. Turning a thief to a police. na snake sabi trace snake for mountain,
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Afritelly: 4:37am On May 30, 2011
Hacking and Cracking are not bad things. It depends on your reason of hacking or cracking. I learned cracking (moreover we don't call it cracking rather Reservse Engineering). There are good hackers and bad hackers.

However, Hacking server or technology is way of knowing how secure or loophole of that server or technology is.
I remember when I hacked my school server. I didn't get job in school, rather they warned me not to do again.

2 Likes

Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by netghost: 11:18pm On May 30, 2011
Afritelly:

However, Hacking server or technology is way of knowing how secure or loophole of that server or technology is.

yes, hacking you own servers or servers that you are hired to pen test, thats if you dont want to end up in a well funish boys quarters in kirikiri cheesy
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Pelumiv(m): 11:26pm On May 30, 2011
Afritelly:

Hacking and Cracking are not bad things. It depends on your reason of hacking or cracking. I learned cracking (moreover we don't call it cracking rather Reservse Engineering). There are good hackers and bad hackers.

I remember when I hacked my school server. I didn't get job in school, rather they warned me not to do again.

how come u were caught? cant u cover ya tracks?
i will like to learn to be a white hat hacker, can u help?

netghost:

yes, hacking you own servers or servers that you are hired to pen test, thats if you dont want to end up in a well funish boys quarters in kirikiri cheesy
lol
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by denzel2009: 11:33pm On May 30, 2011
These days organizations hire hackers to learn the unwritten rule of hacking known to black hats only. This guy will save them so much money and reputation by showing the vulnerabilities in their products.
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Pelumiv(m): 11:38pm On May 30, 2011
so u are saying black hat is the key, but it seem i cant get any tutorial online that can help on the matter. can u help bro?
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Seun(m): 11:40pm On May 30, 2011
denzel2009:

These days organizations hire hackers to learn the unwritten rule of hacking known to black hats only. This guy will save them so much money and reputation by showing the vulnerabilities in their products.
I call BS.  Why would thy insist on hiring hackers who can't be trusted not to bite the hands that feed them?
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by denzel2009: 11:50pm On May 30, 2011
Seun:

I call BS.  Why would thy insist on hiring hackers who can't be trusted not to bite the hands that feed them?

Have you seen the film catch me if you can? Where did he end up working?

1 Like

Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by denzel2009: 11:53pm On May 30, 2011
Pelumiv:

so u are saying black hat is the key, but it seem i cant get any tutorial online that can help on the matter. can u help bro?

You will learn hands-on hacking from undergoing the Offensive Security Certified Professional course.
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Pelumiv(m): 12:15am On May 31, 2011
Have watch part of the movies but not full. dont even remember the concept. Can i get any e-book on it? and more info about the certified course. thanks
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by denzel2009: 12:26am On May 31, 2011
Pelumiv:

Have watch part of the movies but not full. dont even remember the concept. Can i get any e-book on it? and more info about the certified course. thanks

E-book on the movie or OSCP?
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Afritelly: 8:42am On May 31, 2011
how come u were caught? cant u cover ya tracks?
i will like to learn to be a white hat hacker, can u help?

I think they noticed that the network was very slow. Admin and one guy check all the computers connected internet and they noticed that some computer were not connected, "They were wondering how come? ", I guess they knew already, there is an attacked on our school network. Because it doesn't usually happen, I think they check CCTV camera and noticed when I went to one classroom.

Quite a long story, to cut it short. Anyway, they reported me to my lecturer (Microprocessor's Lecturer) he was shocked. Been an only African student in that  year. Well, I failed his course because I decided not to attend his lectures. Because, through that day he was just monitoring me up and down.  That is how the story went. Following year I took the course and I passed.

I have checked Naija Network and noticed it is very easy to hack but I am not interested in hacking. Moreover, I have good things to do order than just hacking websites and networks.

\\Please do not ask me how to do it.
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Pelumiv(m): 10:00am On May 31, 2011
\\Please do not ask me how to do it

U well know that i will surely ask u how 2 do it. The catch is if u know how to hack but decide not to crack others website, then i might be able to know it and not harm people website.
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Slyr0x: 11:29am On May 31, 2011
Interesting topic. Interesting discussions. Wish 'em Federal Government of Nigeria could actually emulate this.

Look at 'em group of Nigerian Hackers attacking govt's digital infrastructures, the best the FGN shoulda done before Anonymous/PLF became involved is to hire those people.

That's raw talent at its best. How can you call yourself an ethical hacker/pentester if yhu haven't defaced a site/hijacked the cpanel/stayed r00t for months/years/controlled 1million+ army of bots/taken down an entire Network/ddosed a whole svr/route yo uni's wireless packets thru yo system etc. ?

L33t hackers(white,black,grey) all passed through the 'blackhat' stage before becoming who they are.

You want to learn? Then be ready to soil your fingers! Staying Anonymous & Legit is NOW up to you.

By legit i mean. .Let's say ure good(not a n00b). .worked on interswitch's sys(wit0t permission) nd w00t. .You have access to 'plain-text' user details. .including pins et al. What do you do? Do you go ahead to notify them OR you sell off the details to scammers?!

Notifying 'em makes u a 'legit blackhat' || Selling 'em off makes you a phucking criminal & its against d hacker's culture. You exploit 'codes/systems' NOT people.

(Please NOTE: They are BOTH punishable by law. )

1 thing y'all should have in mind is "It takes a hacker to catch a hacker". #Shikena

2 Likes

Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by denzel2009: 11:36am On May 31, 2011
^^^^and every good hacker must have social engineering skills. These literally open the doors for them.
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Slyr0x: 4:25pm On May 31, 2011
^^Nice one Sir. A good example is Kevin Mitnick
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by denzel2009: 4:30pm On May 31, 2011
Slyr0x:

^^Nice one Sir. A good example is Kevin Mitnick
You are a subject matter expert too. With the way things are going, I foresee war in the cyberspace soon.
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by netghost: 7:28pm On May 31, 2011
denzel2009:

You are a subject matter expert too.

True talk

denzel2009:

With the way things are going, I foresee war in the cyberspace soon.

Cyber prophet, WOW grin
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by denzel2009: 7:51pm On May 31, 2011
^^^I aint a fake prophet grin
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by netghost: 8:02pm On May 31, 2011
denzel2009:

^^^I aint a fake prophet  grin

then you have ur first follower grin grin grin
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Afritelly: 8:42pm On May 31, 2011
@denzel2009:
^^^I aint a fake prophet

It is true story.

[OFFTOPIC OPEN]
Maybe I should tell first step of reverse any software (mainly dotNet) is easy to do. (Most of the software you have to install them and notice trial version signs eg. 30 trial version, limited functions and so on.)

1.Download PeID: open it and drag any software (it can be *.exe, *.dll and so on) you want to reverse. PeID will check if it is packed or not. If it is packed then you have to unpacked it.

2. Download OllyDbg: I won't explain how to use for you read documentation about it.

3. .NetReflator: Download from here ---> http://code.google.com/p/deflector/

\\Please don't ask me how to use them.

[OFFTOPIC CLOSED]
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Afritelly: 4:24pm On Jun 01, 2011
Has any of you guys try what I have wrote?
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by netghost: 6:07pm On Jun 01, 2011
Afritelly:

[OFFTOPIC OPEN]
Maybe I should tell first step of reverse any software (mainly dotNet) is easy to do.

i would like to know the target language of your dotNet reverse engineering tools, is it going to be the  Common Intermediate Language (CIL, pronounced either "sil" or "kil"wink (formerly called Microsoft Intermediate Language or MSIL) which is the lowest-level human-readable programming language defined by the Common Language Infrastructure specification and used by the .NET Framework and Mono.

OR SOMETHING ELSE
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Afritelly: 10:43pm On Jun 01, 2011
i would like to know the target language of your dotNet reverse engineering tools, is it going to be the Common Intermediate Language (CIL, pronounced either "sil" or "kil"wink (formerly called Microsoft Intermediate Language or MSIL) which is the lowest-level human-readable programming language defined by the Common Language Infrastructure specification and used by the .NET Framework and Mono.

I'm sorry. I don't understand. The Basic idea is how to crack software.
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Fayimora(m): 12:53am On Jun 02, 2011
Sorry but i still think they are better things to think of than reverse engineering and h**k**g
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Afritelly: 8:44am On Jun 02, 2011
Sorry but i still think they are better things to think of than reverse engineering and h**k**g

True. If we don't know RE, how can we protect our software?
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Pelumiv(m): 11:54am On Jun 02, 2011
Sorry dis is offtopic. At Fayimora, why are u nt replying my IM on yahoo? there is example on atm that i cant find in d ebook or their site.
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Fayimora(m): 11:55am On Jun 02, 2011
Cant remember not answering anybody today, IF your talking of some other day then I most definitely wasn't beside the computer
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Fayimora(m): 11:57am On Jun 02, 2011
@Arfri, I think you should focus more on developing more efficient softwares now than RE. Theres a ryt time for everything
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Afritelly: 12:56pm On Jun 02, 2011
@Arfri,  I think you should focus more on developing more efficient softwares now than RE. Theres a ryt time for everything

Yeah true. But I'm a software developer.
Re: 14 Year Old Call Of Duty Hacker Hired By Microsoft - Hacking Is Not Bad Right ? by Fayimora(m): 3:43pm On Jun 02, 2011
Learning never ends, Theres a lot more out there that you still need to explore, There are much better ways to implement softwares you already have implemented, Hve you tried out those algorithms and see the effects they have on you software? wink Theres just tooo much to know so its continuous

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You A Software Developer Or Software Companies With Beta Solution? / Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? / I Want To Learn Programming In 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.