Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

How Good Is Arik Airline? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Good Is Arik Airline? (9881 Views)

My Near Crash Experience With Arik Air Yesterday / My Travel Experience With Arik Airline / How Good And Reliable Is Arik From Lagos To Heathrow? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Good Is Arik Airline? by Orikinla(m): 3:14pm On May 30, 2011
This question is for those who have used Arik Airline? A Nigerian journalist at The Guardian newspapers gave the airline thumbs down for poor customer service.

1 Like

Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by chelseabmw(m): 8:47am On May 31, 2011
I rate dem 75% over 100
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by AjanleKoko: 12:05pm On May 31, 2011
Well, they're one of the top two in Nigeria, the second being Air Nigeria.

That says a lot about local Nigerian airlines. Their customer service is beyond terrible, they cancel or delay flights with amazing regularity, and they are hardly consistent. One time they flew people from Owerri to Lagos with no AC in the plane.

Ironically, I flew them to London in 2009 and they were very okay. Also, an expat in my office flew them to New York, and they weren't bad, sometime last year. So maybe they put extra efforts in the long haul flights, especially as they're not only dealing with Nigerians.

In summary, I wonder why one even needs to ask. Air travel locally is traumatic in Nigeria, and the experience is often nasty, irrespective of which airline it is. The other nondescript airlines, like Dana and Chachangi, I don't even try to move near them.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by mbulela: 4:32pm On May 31, 2011
AjanleKoko:

That says a lot about local Nigerian airlines. Their customer service is beyond terrible, they cancel or delay flights with amazing regularity, and they are hardly consistent. One time they flew people from Owerri to Lagos with no AC in the plane.

Ironically, I flew them to London in 2009 and they were very okay. Also, an expat in my office flew them to New York, and they weren't bad, sometime last year. So maybe they put extra efforts in the long haul flights, especially as they're not only dealing with Nigerians.

In summary, I wonder why one even needs to ask. Air travel locally is traumatic in Nigeria, and the experience is often nasty, irrespective of which airline it is. The other nondescript airlines, like Dana and Chachangi, I don't even try to move near them.

Don't ever try it again o!
My folks tried it and it was a nightmare better imagined.
They said nothing was working on the plane.
No on-board entertainment, very crap food etc.
I guess you might be lucky if you try it next time.
Stick to the local trauma,trying it internationally is best left to your enemies.
The attraction is the baggage allowance but unless you are a trader, i don't think it is worth it.

The poor service will be sustained,simply because the customers are bereft of options.
No proper rrail services, the roads are death traps etc.
I don't complain about flying these airlines because there is absolutely no alternative.
The airlines know it,hence the crap services continues.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by AjanleKoko: 4:47pm On May 31, 2011
mbulela:

My folks tried it and it was a nightmare better imagined.
Stick to the local trauma,trying it internationally is best left to your enemies.
The attraction is the baggage allowance but unless you are a trader, i don't think it is worth it.

The poor service will be sustained,simply because the customers are bereft of options.
I don't complain about flying these airlines because there is absolutely no alternative.

Ha! I almost booked them for my vacation shocked
But they were not bad at all in 2009, in fact when we got back to NG, the chairman himself was at the baggage pickup area at MMA supervising his guys. Must have been early days then.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by JeSoul(f): 6:53pm On May 31, 2011
I've lost track of how many anti-arik, incredibly negative review threads have been opened in this section. Poster, enjoy to your hearts content:

http://www.google.com.ng/cse?cx=partner-pub-6465801557104924%3Abko28ysgdng&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Arik+airlines&siteurl=www.nairaland.com%2Fnigeria%2Ftopic-678785.0.html
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by mbulela: 9:03pm On May 31, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Ha! I almost booked them for my vacation shocked
But they were not bad at all in 2009, in fact when we got back to NG, the chairman himself was at the baggage pickup area at MMA supervising his guys. Must have been early days then.
pls don't.
unless your vacation location is within the country.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by mbulela: 9:03pm On May 31, 2011
JeSoul:

I've lost track of how many anti-arik, incredibly negative review threads have been opened in this section. Poster, enjoy to your hearts content:

http://www.google.com.ng/cse?cx=partner-pub-6465801557104924%3Abko28ysgdng&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Arik+airlines&siteurl=www.nairaland.com%2Fnigeria%2Ftopic-678785.0.html
i guess the threads will continue unless they pull up their socks.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by noblegas2(m): 5:59am On Jun 01, 2011
mbulela:

[size=20pt]Don't ever try it again o![/size]My folks tried it and it was a nightmare better imagined.

Seconded!!!
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by nanidee(f): 1:31am On Jun 02, 2011
noble_gas1:

Seconded!!!

thirded, angry angry
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by klas(m): 2:27pm On Jun 02, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Service-wise, Dana dont belong to the same class as chanchangi. In my opinion, Dana service is very good. I used to rate it second to aero b4 aero had the liquidity problem forcing them to introduce various cost-saving measures. now I prefer it to aero.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by Orikinla(m): 2:52pm On Jun 02, 2011
The following is a complaint from a customer.

[size=18pt]ARIK why now?

For over a year and half now, precisely since September 2009, ARIK Airline has refused to honour my request for a refund on two unused tickets- Business and Economy class (Sokoto to Lagos). I was at this time Personal Assistant to the former DG of the National Theatre Professor Ahmed Yerima and together we traveled to Sokoto for a conference but due to a delay in the arrival of their service, we left with another service so we can meet up with a meeting in Lagos. On return to Lagos, I sought their advice (at the ticketing and reservation section) on what to do since they had a policy of non re-routing and they adviced that I could apply for a refund and i was availed numbers to call, for follow up. I have since then called & written severally but the last officer handling my case has even stopped picking my calls and would not reply my emails either. Please Editor, how best do you think i can get these monies refunded?
[/size]
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by Kilode1: 1:59am On Jun 03, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Their customer service is beyond terrible,

they cancel or delay flights with amazing regularity,

One time they flew people from Owerri to Lagos with no AC in the plane.

JeSoul:

mbulela:

i guess the threads will continue unless they pull up their socks.

noble_gas1:

Seconded!!!

nanidee:

thirded, angry angry

The Unanimity here is hilarious and sad at the same time

and to think they are still in business?? SMH sad
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by blacksta(m): 4:07am On Jun 03, 2011
Flew them twice in 2010 on their international route - I must confess everything went fine. The Lagos to London Plane is the A380 a new plane , very spacious , food and in flight entertainment was ok , cant complain really. Maybe it is a case of Hit and Miss.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by sconsults: 4:54am On Jun 03, 2011
Wetin bros,which nija airline de use airbus a380. grin grin grin cool
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by Desola(f): 7:32am On Jun 03, 2011
flew Arik last July on international flight.

1. flight scheduled departure was 10pm; we didn't leave until 01:30am, thereby missing my pick up at Murtala Mohammed.

2. Despite all the delay; a cabin crew (white0 was utterly rude ; telling a passenger that she was deaf because she claimed not to have heard her name being called.

3. No in flight entertainment.

4. Food was so - so.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by Desola(f): 7:34am On Jun 03, 2011
flew Arik last July on international flight.

1. flight scheduled departure was 10pm; we didn't leave until 01:30am, thereby missing my pick up at Murtala Mohammed.

2. Despite all the delay; a cabin crew (white0 was utterly rude ; telling a passenger that she was deaf because she claimed not to have heard her name being called.

3. No in flight entertainment.

4. Food was so - so.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by Desola(f): 7:38am On Jun 03, 2011
http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/air-nigeria-launches-long-haul-operations-with-daily-lagos-gatwick-rou/

Gatwick Airport has announced that Air Nigeria - the national flag carrier of Nigeria – is to launch its first international route outside Africa with a daily London-Lagos route from 1 September, strengthening the links between the financial and economic centres of the UK and Nigeria.

Flights will depart from Gatwick daily at 2230, arriving into Lagos at 0430 the next day, with the return leg leaving Nigeria at 1410 and landing back into London at 2010. Air Nigeria will operate the A340-300, which flies 295 passengers in a typical two-class cabin layout, from Gatwick’s South Terminal.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by dplordx(m): 8:29am On Jun 03, 2011
Arik? How good? They are the opposite of good. Abeg, I would rather take a bus trip rather than fly Arik.
They are far the worst airline in the world!
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by tunde1200(m): 8:29am On Jun 03, 2011
To me Arikair Ltd is one of the best Airline in Africa now. Though how they treat there staff may be affecting the service to customers which can lead to something else and the management is not doing any thing to avert crisis smiley.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by omoalaro: 8:43am On Jun 03, 2011
I use local flights regularly, If you have an appointment to keep. Please dont use ARIK. They have no respect for time. I have never boarded Arik that took off at the advertised time. I cant seem to understand what their planners are doing.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by Refugee1: 9:07am On Jun 03, 2011
Well they are relatively good except for delays without any apology. Sometime last year, we waited for approximately 6 hours for a flight from Lagos to Abuja. Somebody traveling by road could be nearing Abuja by this time. The best is Air Nigeria. They stick to schedule and try to placate passengers when necessary.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 9:14am On Jun 03, 2011
i rate them low. the company owes its workers alot. presently as am writing this the workers are being owed 2 months salary.while the company is making profits everyday. how sad. angry
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by blacksta(m): 9:22am On Jun 03, 2011
sconsults:

Wetin bros,which nija airline de use airbus a380. grin grin grin cool

lol - sorry meant the Airbus A340-542 aircraft
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by r231(m): 9:30am On Jun 03, 2011
Arik. . . . . .

if they sell their ticket for £100 from London - Lagos, I will not buy it

very useless airline
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by Tricici(f): 9:41am On Jun 03, 2011
I've never flew international with Arik but they r pretty much okay when it comes to WestAfrica, Dakar, Accr, Lagos yeh the on board crew is alright but the customer care on ground, especially in Lagos sad
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by blank(f): 9:54am On Jun 03, 2011
I usually fly Dana or Aero. Recently, I had to travel withe first flight from ABJ to Lagos. Arik was d earliest scheduled. I was a bit apprehensive but had no choice. I was pleasantly surprised. They left on time, they didn't ask me 2 pay 4 my excess luggage and dey were so nice 2 me n my baby. They gave me a seatbelt 4 my baby which d other ones did not. They carried my hand luggage, gave me extra special attention as if I was in business class. Gave me a blanket 4 my baby.

Might use them again.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by JJM(f): 9:56am On Jun 03, 2011
I guess things have gone down hill then, ! I used them in December 2009 and had no major complaints save for a rude flight attendant but having said that that particular passenger had it coming by a million mile.

Is this going to end up like another Bellview?!!! What a shame sad

On a more general note, naija customer service is appalling so its not just limited to airline travel. If I go to a naija shop in Peckham or anywhere, the staff attitude is BADDDD especially if you try to talk like a civilised person. The only language they understand is if you decide to stand up and talk with an attitude as well. One thing I also note is that we as a nation are rude so we are bound to bring out the worse in other people. E.G queue jumping amongst our people is rife and I find myself telling a few people off for it.

Anyways, back to Arik, all airlines have their off days-BA(terminal 5 opening, lost baggages, delayed flights, not communicating with passengers, union strikes-, Virgin(unscheduled stops in Abuja to "refuel" etc) but if you have more complaints than praises then the only way is down!
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by kemmy100: 10:12am On Jun 03, 2011
Your best Nigerian Airline

Share, vote and comment on:

http://www.naijavote.com/main/view/669
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by AjanleKoko: 10:19am On Jun 03, 2011
blacksta:

lol - sorry meant the Airbus A340-542   aircraft

Okay, someone got there first. grin
However, are you guys aware that Arik is the only airline in the WA sub region to order the 787 Dreamliner? It will be delivered to them in 2014.

That's my issue with Arik. State of the art equipment, but bottom of the barrel service. Their Embraers and B737s are brand new, you can see it when you fly those aircraft. Not refurbished at all.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by dazzle37(f): 10:20am On Jun 03, 2011
Before you start praising Arik, go thru the thread on Arik, Happy reading

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-569731.0.html

Arik is the worst airline in nigeria, On the 1st of may, my flight from calabar to lagos, just before the airport was shut down for repairs
was for 12noon, before i knew it the flight was shifted to 6pm, but at the end of the day we ended up leaving calabar by 1:30am and got to lagos by 2:30 am, so can you imagine ? from 12noon to 2: 30am, i can NEVER fly Arik again.
Re: How Good Is Arik Airline? by AjanleKoko: 10:22am On Jun 03, 2011
Desola:

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/air-nigeria-launches-long-haul-operations-with-daily-lagos-gatwick-rou/

Gatwick Airport has announced that Air Nigeria - the national flag carrier of Nigeria – is to launch its first international route outside Africa with a daily London-Lagos route from 1 September, strengthening the links between the financial and economic centres of the UK and Nigeria.

Flights will depart from Gatwick daily at 2230, arriving into Lagos at 0430 the next day, with the return leg leaving Nigeria at 1410 and landing back into London at 2010. Air Nigeria will operate the A340-300, which flies 295 passengers in a typical two-class cabin layout, from Gatwick’s South Terminal.

Virgin Nigeria (now Air Nigeria) had that route and flew it for some years, until they suspended it in 2007 when they had financial problems and cancelled all their long haul shifts.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

8 Of The Worst Countries For Black People To Travel. / Businesses, Arts Inspired By The Lagos Transport System - AutoReportNG / Tier 2 Sponsorship. Fraud/scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.