Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,546 members, 7,809,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Differences Between Anglophone And Francophone Writers - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Differences Between Anglophone And Francophone Writers (13697 Views)

Differences Between British & American English. Which Do You Use Most? / Our Differences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Differences Between Anglophone And Francophone Writers by abawa(m): 5:33pm On Jul 23, 2007
Who in the house has an idea on the basic differences btw
anglophone and francophone writers?

pls help me with related links too.
Re: Differences Between Anglophone And Francophone Writers by Ndipe(m): 9:29pm On Jul 23, 2007
I don't think there is that much of a difference. If you notice, the work that encompasses those of female writers, be they francophone or anglophone is situated on the domination of the male patriarchy in the African context, and the subjugation of women in the industry. Few of them have traversed beyond the scope, except perhaps, for Aminata Sow Fall of Senegal, who wrote The Beggar's Strike. Hers is more political. However, there is a distinction in some of the writings like Mariama Ba, whose novel, "So Long a Letter", encompassed the overall picture of the trials of African women. Bride price, land acquisition, polygamy, abandonment, financial responsibilities/duties of the mother in the household were all introduced in the novel. I just can't find any other novel, written by any other African woman that can compete with her first novel.

PS: I think Francophone West African female writers are more talented than their Anglophone counterparts. wink
Re: Differences Between Anglophone And Francophone Writers by daprofo: 7:04pm On Dec 11, 2014
The question is this: how many African female writers' novels have you read? And how many of such novels have you critiqued, analysed and studied at an in-depth level?

It is also possible that 'So Long a Letter' was one of the first novels you read and because of that early exposure your standard of perfection hovered around any work that had a semblance with 'So Long a Letter.' In other words, making generalisations is a faulty way of reasoning.
Re: Differences Between Anglophone And Francophone Writers by xyzhill(m): 10:03pm On Jul 30, 2015
Ndipe:
I don't think there is that much of a difference. If you notice, the work that encompasses those of female writers, be they francophone or anglophone is situated on the domination of the male patriarchy in the African context, and the subjugation of women in the industry. Few of them have traversed beyond the scope, except perhaps, for Aminata Sow Fall of Senegal, who wrote The Beggar's Strike. Hers is more political. However, there is a distinction in some of the writings like Mariama Ba, whose novel, "So Long a Letter", encompassed the overall picture of the trials of African women. Bride price, land acquisition, polygamy, abandonment, financial responsibilities/duties of the mother in the household were all introduced in the novel. I just can't find any other novel, written by any other African woman that can compete with her first novel.

PS: I think Francophone West African female writers are more talented than their Anglophone counterparts. wink
datz becus french is a romantic language n expressies d deepest feelings n emotions

(1) (Reply)

Tales Of A Keke Napep Driver / Ambassadors Of Poverty By P. O. C. Umeh - A Must Read For All Nigerians / Rita Dominic On Cover Of 'The Governor’s Wife'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.