Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. (2352 Views)

You Are Spiritually Matured If You Have "Perfect" Control Over These Things / Is Oral And Anal Sex Spiritually Hygienic In Christian Marriages??? / How To Conquer Barrenness/ Poverty Spiritually & Physically (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by DeepSight(m): 7:04am On Jun 01, 2011
Any person who does not derive ultimate spiritual enlightenment and/ or edification from that movie is spiritually dead.

Gba gbe, na me talk am.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Nobody: 7:17am On Jun 01, 2011
Deep Sight:

Any person who does not derive ultimate spiritual enlightenment and edification from that movie is spiritually dead.

Gba gbe, na me talk am.

grin grin grin grin You MUST be joking!!!!!

Avatar a.ka. Pocahontas on an alien planet with blue cat people? That movie??!!!!
That movie was just aother take on superior powers colonising indigenous people and stealing the indigenes' land and resources. The spirituality that you're so enamored with is based on native american spirituality or any pagan religion that diefies nature (aka mother earth aka EYWA( mother pandora).
Even all the blue people were voiced by minorities and that further shows that the movie was about colonisation and how humans are "destroying" the planet after we had destroyed ours. Just like when Europe needed more resources and went to "discover" the new world ( The Americas, Africa).

About the spirituality, what's so special about "Eywa worship"? How does one find "spirituality" in a fantasy movie??!!! Like I told Jenwitemi, you also need to hook up with the scientologists. They also found "spirituality" in fantasy.

Neytiri is Pocahontas and Jake is John Rolfe, look them up.
You just want to believe in something so bad, you will find "spirituality" in anything!!!

Gba gbe, na me talk am. grin
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Nobody: 7:27am On Jun 01, 2011
At least I hope you saw the 3D version, i didnt see it till it was on hbo lmao
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Nobody: 8:20am On Jun 01, 2011
Jake a.ka. Deep Sight

Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 01, 2011
Does this picture of the "Tree of Souls" evoke that spiritual feeling you've been yearning for?
If it does, contact deep sight and y'all can get in touch with James Cameron and maybe he'll allow you to voice one of the Navi' people in the next installment of Avatar.
Think of it as a pilgrimage when you journey to Hollywood, California and experience that Avatar spirituality in James' temple studio!!!

Next up?
Star Wars!!!!! cool My light saber is bigger than yours tongue

Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Jenwitemi(m): 8:50am On Jun 01, 2011
Martian's shallowness knows no boundaries. Somebody please resurrect him from his spiritual death.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 01, 2011
Jenwitemi:

Martian's shallowness knows no boundaries. Somebody please resurrect him from his spiritual death.

Here comes Robin to save Batman!!!!! SAVE ME from my spiritual death please!!!!!! (funny how he was defending your bullsh_t in another thread) grin

Don't fret, I found your "Source" too.

Jenwitemi's eternal source courtesy of the Hubble Space Telescope. matrix.

Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by DeepSight(m): 6:23pm On Jun 01, 2011
Martian:

grin grin grin grin You MUST be joking!!!!!

Avatar a.ka. Pocahontas on an alien planet with blue cat people? That movie??!!!!
That movie was just aother take on superior powers colonising indigenous people and stealing the indigenes' land and resources. The spirituality that you're so enamored with is based on native american spirituality or any pagan religion that diefies nature (aka mother earth aka EYWA( mother pandora).
Even all the blue people were voiced by minorities and that further shows that the movie was about colonisation and how humans are "destroying" the planet after we had destroyed ours. Just like when Europe needed more resources and went to "discover" the new world ( The Americas, Africa).

About the spirituality, what's so special about "Eywa worship"? How does one find "spirituality" in a fantasy movie??!!! Like I told Jenwitemi, you also need to hook up with the scientologists. They also found "spirituality" in fantasy.

Neytiri is Pocahontas and Jake is John Rolfe, look them up.
You just want to believe in something so bad, you will find "spirituality" in anything!!!

Gba gbe, na me talk am. grin

Expectedly, you have jumped head first in and totally missed the point. You have indeed sadly exposed the shallow quality of your mind. You talk about the obvious parallels with Pocahontas, and you condescendingly speak about "that movie with blue cat people." I am aghast that at some point in time I had credited you with a mind.

Indeed, as you have failed to recognise the core theme of both "Avatar" and "Pocahontas" , as my OP states, I conclusively conclude that you are spiritually dead.

If you must arise from that death: take the time to listen in all humility: and I start with one line only:

Those pictures are essentially about the difference between the[b] intellect [/b]and the spirit; between commercial greed and intuitive connection with the natural world.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by dare2think: 7:07pm On Jun 01, 2011
@deep sight

I fully understand the political connotations and historical resemblance.

But what similarities has got with spiritual enhancement if I may ask?

pls indulge me.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by JeSoul(f): 7:17pm On Jun 01, 2011
Nice topic DS. I've been wanting to create a thread that highlights movies that have spiritual lessons in them.
dare2think:

@deep sight

I fully understand the political connotations and historical resemblance.

But what similarities has got with spiritual enhancement if I may ask?
pls indulge me.

http://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/films/films.php?id=19534

. . .

Immerse Yourself in the Web of Life

Make no mistake about it, Avatar is a deeply spiritual movie. While giving us a natural world of beauty, it also forces us to deal with the shadow side of life. It vividly depicts and condemns the blindness, selfishness, and destructiveness of the American path of warfare, violence, and use of technology to destroy the Earth and others considered to be subhuman or "collateral damage." Cameron peppers the storyline with references to recent U.S. imperialism, from the shock-and-awe campaigns of the Iraq war, to the use of daisy cutter bombs to blow away entire landscapes. The character of Quaritch stands in for the cowboy mentality of some military and corporate leaders who will do anything to get control of the lands and resources necessary for their profit-making and survival.

Contrasted with those who believe in domination over other civilizations, just wars, and occupation to maintain control over foreign lands are the indigenous people and their ancient ways that reverence rather than try to master nature. Cameron is to be commended for presenting their life-affirming integration into the larger web of life as an alternative to the narrow perspective of the Western world. His story celebrates diversity and other ways of knowing. The "People," like other tribal cultures, value harmony, simplicity, community, the spirit in nature, the sacred feminine, and much more.

Cameron gives the People an Earth-based cosmology that is totally in sync with contemporary spirituality movements: reverence for Gaia (earth) as a living being and the Oneness movement that celebrates the interconnection of all beings. Through his sympathetic portrait of the scientists, he even mirrors the current-day marriage of science and religion that has been catalyzed by discoveries in quantum physics and energy medicine.

There are many "teachable moments" in Avatar. We hope with the following list of the spiritual aspects of the Na'vi way of life to open the door to further thought and discussion. The French existentialists envisioned life as a project. That's what it is, and we are all trying to put together a sacred, creative, and meaningful way of being in the world.

Spiritual Lessons from the Na'vi

1. Seeds, trees, animals, insects, water, leaves are all part of the web of life. Everything is alive and conscious and interconnected.

2. It may be necessary to kill for food. A clean kill involves a respect and a ritual for any animal that gives itself to you for food and other uses.

3. Even vicious and seemingly violent animals have the right to protect their turf and participate in the dance of life.

4. Having a good heart and being fearless are part of being a warrior.

5. Signs are all around us in nature and in our own experiences: they are meant to be read and interpreted.

6. Using the power within us is the way of the sacred feminine.

7. A greeting is an act of engagement with another. Open and active presence is conveyed by the words "I see you."

8. It is important to listen to the voices of the ancestors.

9. Everyone is born twice: once at birth and once again when he or she earns a place within the community.

10. Energy is pulsating in and through all forms of life.

11. Mother Earth doesn't take sides; she protects only the balance of life.

12. Healing is an act of the community calling upon the divine.

13. Everyone needs to train in attunement to the spirit in nature.

14. The magical flights of the shaman invoke spirit helpers.

15. The world is a collaborative work in progress in which each individual in the tribe has something to contribute to the whole.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:26pm On Jun 01, 2011
Avatar! Spiritual!? shocked hmmn that explains the scrounging headache and nightmarish visions i had after leaving the cinema. I followed the blood n guts action all the way grin
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by dare2think: 7:28pm On Jun 01, 2011
Nice one Jesoul,

Kinda understand where the op is coming from.

By the way, since we are on the movie thinghy,  Jesoul, have you see schindler's list ?

That movie made very deep impact to my conciousness. Truly deep. I inclined towards a more humanistic approach to life rather than a theological pathway, which always seem contradictory if we are to be honest.

Deepsight and Jesoul,

Have you seen the movie, if so what are your assessments?
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by JeSoul(f): 7:36pm On Jun 01, 2011
dare2think:

By the way, since we are on the movie thinghy, Jesoul, have you see schindler's list ?

That movie made very deep impact to my conciousness. Truly deep. I inclined towards a more humanistic approach to life rather than a theological pathway, which always seem contradictory if we are to be honest.

Deepsight and Jesoul,

Have you seen the movie, if so what are your assessments?
Have heard of it but haven't seen it. I'm always intrigued to hear of movies that move ppl like that . . . I will put it on my list. Any other movies that have impacted like that?
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by dare2think: 7:47pm On Jun 01, 2011
Crash. ---Racism/discrimination
Saving private ryan----Sacrifice
Coloured Girls-----Women empowerment/ black women issues
Atwone Fisher----Child abuse

When I think of more i'll let you know
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by JeSoul(f): 8:03pm On Jun 01, 2011
dare2think:

Crash. ---Racism/discrimination
Men, I watched 5mins few yrs ago and turned it off. I'm still not sure why lol.

Saving private ryan----Sacrifice
Nice one. Forces one to look inward and examine if you posess such a compelling sense of love and devotion and loyalty to anyone/anything that would make you sacrifice your own life.

Coloured Girls-----Women empowerment/ black women issues
Atwone Fisher----Child abuse
Haven't seen these two yet. Precious (child abuse) readily comes to mind. Not that one is naive as to the crazy terrible things that go on in this world but gosh, that movie is just plain disturbing.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:05pm On Jun 01, 2011
JeSoul:

Have heard of it but haven't seen it. I'm always intrigued to hear of movies that move ppl like that . . . I will put it on my list. Any other movies that have impacted like that?
Jesoul- where were you when everybody saw Schindler's list - twice the hype Titanic got but far better mileage in thrill/drama
Maybe you want to try my all time zonky movies (ones that put you in the zone). I must warn you, most are pretty old, you may not be able to get your hands on them.

1: 2001 A space odyssey (on VHS) - the catalyst that sparked a rash of provoking thoughts in my young mind way back
2: Butterfly effect - If you dig chaos theory
3: One flew over the cuckoo's nest - Jack Nicholson gave a stellar performance only the insane will appreciate
4: Full metal jacket - and I almost missed it cos it was a war movie
5: Apocalypse now!! - If you never saw this movie - you never saw it
6: Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - A thought-provoking romance movie
7: The shining - Nicholson truly has a touch of insanity

They don't make them like they use to, the last movie i thought tried was Inception
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by JeSoul(f): 8:13pm On Jun 01, 2011
^ I don't want to derail oga DS's thread. Come and meet me here . . . https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-680655.0.html
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by DeepSight(m): 8:56pm On Jun 01, 2011
1. Seeds, trees, animals, insects, water, leaves are all part of the web of life. Everything is alive and conscious and interconnected.

2. It may be necessary to kill for food. A clean kill involves a respect and a ritual for any animal that gives itself to you for food and other uses.

3. Even vicious and seemingly violent animals have the right to protect their turf and participate in the dance of life.

4. Having a good heart and being fearless are part of being a warrior.

5. Signs are all around us in nature and in our own experiences: they are meant to be read and interpreted.

6. Using the power within us is the way of the sacred feminine.

7. A greeting is an act of engagement with another. Open and active presence is conveyed by the words "I see you."

8. It is important to listen to the voices of the ancestors.

9. Everyone is born twice: once at birth and once again when he or she earns a place within the community.

10. Energy is pulsating in and through all forms of life.

11. Mother Earth doesn't take sides; she protects only the balance of life.

12. Healing is an act of the community calling upon the divine.

13. Everyone needs to train in attunement to the spirit in nature.

14. The magical flights of the shaman invoke spirit helpers.

15. The world is a collaborative work in progress in which each individual in the tribe has something to contribute to the whole.

Thank you Jesoul for these. I was about to start pointing these out one after the other, but you have preceded me. It is my (vain) hope that Martian will see some value in these.

Of particular interest to me is the statement "I see you'.

That statement is just so profound that I will not attempt to reduce its power by expatiating on it. Any expatiation will do it a disservice. It is best simply left as it is: "I see you."

This strikes a chord with me moreso as many years before this movie was released, myself and a very special friend of mine always used that particular refrain to express our spiritual affinity.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by kandiikane(m): 2:28am On Jun 02, 2011
Wait did you just watch it?

Oh yes, I had a spiritual enlightenment. . .I was even having epileptic fits on the floor of the cinema
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by DeepSight(m): 4:57am On Jun 02, 2011
kandiikane:

Wait did you just watch it?

No. But saw it again, and was refreshed again.

Oh yes, I had a spiritual enlightenment. . .I was even having epileptic fits on the floor of the cinema

I suppose that was indeed Holy Ghost Fire.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Nobody: 6:47am On Jun 02, 2011
Deep Sight:

Expectedly, you have jumped head first in and totally missed the point. You have indeed sadly exposed the shallow quality of your mind. You talk about the obvious parallels with Pocahontas, and you condescendingly speak about "that movie with blue cat people." I am aghast that at some point in time I had credited you with a mind.

Indeed, as you have failed to recognise the core theme of both "Avatar" and "Pocahontas" , as my OP states, I conclusively conclude that you are spiritually dead.

If you must arise from that death: take the time to listen in all humility: and I start with one line only:

Those pictures are essentially about the difference between the[b] intellect [/b]and the spirit; between commercial greed and intuitive connection with the natural world.

grin You act as if Avatar is introducing some new spiritual concept that hasn't been heard of. The only reason you see spiritual things is because you're a spirtiual person who believes in the existence of souls. So the idea that living organisms can communicate conciously with nature and that nature itself cares about the human (Navi) condition is what must have led you to have spiritual orga_ms from watching Avatar( and Pocahontas?)

The movie is just a retread of the same princess and hero storyline that has been beaten to death in Hollywood. Add in some environmentalist ideology and a sh_tload of nature worship/ pantheism/ paganism  in a biologically connected and sentient planet ( pandora is actually one of the moons of a gas giant and the model for it is one of Jupiter's galilean moons)   and you have people like deep sight having spiritual awakenings. To seal the deal, appeal to their emotions by making the technologically advanced humans the invaders and the Navi the good nature worshiping and peaceful culture who love Eywa (god) and you have a good concoction of spirituality/ colonisation/ environmentalist/ love and war.

You are aghast that at some point that you credited me with a mind, nice that you appreciate my thought process  grin but now you've changed your mind when I attack your own spiritual phantasm. Great.

You're right about one thing though, I am spiritually dead. Not only dead but also cremated. I have no reason to believe there is some ethereal or "spiritual" aspect of nature. Nature (the universe) has no intrinsic meaning or purpose that we know of and all these spiritual jargon are borne of man's continued inability to accept his own mortality and his insignificance in the universe.
Your spirituality lets you indulge in wishful thinking about spirits and souls and the devine. I just accept reality the way it is without the divine, spirits and other superstitions.

Since Jesoul is also a fan, y'all can get in contact with each other and go " I see You", ok Jake?
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by seyibrown(f): 12:24pm On Jun 02, 2011
If anything at all, that movie should have reminded a christian that unlike Mother nature 'who does not take any sides', God is for his people!
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by DeepSight(m): 12:35pm On Jun 02, 2011
Martian:

grin You act as if Avatar is introducing some new spiritual concept that hasn't been heard of.

Does anything have to be new to be inspiring? The greatest truths are actually timelessly old.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Jenwitemi(m): 12:48pm On Jun 02, 2011
Ain't that the truth? grin
Deep Sight:

Does anything have to be new to be inspiring? The greatest truths are actually timelessly old.

Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Jenwitemi(m): 12:53pm On Jun 02, 2011
It should also remind any christian who payed any attention that mother nature isn't parochial and biased. It has to be that way if keeping the balance of all that is is the overarching priority, instead of just taken care of a few people's interests.
seyibrown:

If anything at all, that movie should have reminded a christian that unlike Mother nature 'who does not take any sides', God is for his people!
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 02, 2011
Deep Sight:

Great truths that are timelessly old cannot be found in any supernatural spiritual claims. Old stuff can be inspiring but avatar is based off of the same type of animism that has already be found to be as valid as every other spiritual beliefs on earth. You just got all "enlightened" at the possibility that nature could actually communicate with us consciously. Wishful thinking.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by DeepSight(m): 6:48pm On Jun 02, 2011
Nature does communicate with us every second of every day.

One pulsating consciousness.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 02, 2011
Deep Sight:

Nature does communicate with us every second of every day.

One pulsating consciousness.

Yea, I spoke to the tree in front of my house today.It said to tell you, "I see you".
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Jenwitemi(m): 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2011
Deep sight, you waste your time with this shallowest of souls called, martian.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 02, 2011
Hey Jenwitemi,i saw the "source" in a vision last night.
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by kandiikane(m): 8:27pm On Jun 02, 2011
Deep Sight:

No. But saw it again, and was refreshed again.

I suppose that was indeed Holy Ghost Fire.

This was no holy ghost fire but the deep spiritual connection I had with avatar and mother nature. . .I was foaming all over
Re: Be Enlightened By The Movie "avatar", Or You Are Spiritually Dead. by Jenwitemi(m): 9:35pm On Jun 02, 2011
Sure, you did, kiddo.
Martian:

Hey Jenwitemi,i saw the "source" in a vision last night.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cindy / VIDEO: Pervert Pastor Asks Women To Shake Their Booty For Jesus!! (VIDEO) / Why Was SATAN Not Jail In HEAVEN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.