Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,841 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:02 AM

The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF (14181 Views)

Freedom Of Information. FOI In LAGOS? Can Anyone Confirm? / Ajimobi Disowns Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act In Oyo State / A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 2:44pm On Jun 01, 2011
The attached has just been passed.

Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 2:45pm On Jun 01, 2011
@Poster, where did you get this from?
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 3:00pm On Jun 01, 2011
Government house!!!!

Our SA on senate affairs sent it in

any probs with that extract?

lol!!
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 3:03pm On Jun 01, 2011
Do you happen to have VALID email contacts for any of the Ministries, especially Ministry of Education, while you are at it? I just tried emailing and still nothing.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 3:07pm On Jun 01, 2011
i am lost in your request.
Please make me understand your request.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Jun 01, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Do you happen to have VALID email contacts for any of the Ministries, especially Ministry of Education, while you are at it? I just tried emailing and still nothing.

Do you have access to any of the above? Can you share(if you do)?
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 3:11pm On Jun 01, 2011
yes, i do

sharing, will give you the link to the ministry. they are online i suppose
Let me confirm.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 3:16pm On Jun 01, 2011
^^^

Kobojunkie:

I am requesting you send any VALID email contacts i.e. Email Addresses and possible names of persons to address emails to, if you have them as well. So far, the online information available for many of these ministries are either invalid or inactive.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 3:18pm On Jun 01, 2011
How i wish i knew you better
the contact i have are my personal contact

you know i cant just let that out,

it main cause me political ruins

it isnt professional.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 3:20pm On Jun 01, 2011
I am a Nigerian citizen, and going by the FOI, I think the information you pretend to be your PERSONAL info, actually ought to be open to my person as well.

I am not asking you for their bikini sizes or the color of their eyes here. I am asking you for information on people who work in the ministries for ME and other Nigerians and their contact information so I can contact them and ask them questions of my country and how they are doing our work.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 3:23pm On Jun 01, 2011
waoooo,
why not come and take my phone and hijack my mail box.
go online, all you need is there in.

na wa you o!!!!!
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by efisher(m): 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2011
Lol! I am also interested in the information. I want you to include the home addresses, phone numbers and bank account numbers of all the public office holders in your possession. Going by the FOI Act, I am entitled to the information and I demand it as my right. If you refuse, I will charge you to court for violating my rights!!!
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2011
lipsrsealed

Does anyone else out there have information on how one can successfully contact the many agencies/ministries for information? Anyone who has actually tried to contact any of the institutions to date would probably have figured out that majority are really not available via the email addresses they claim.
We finally have the opportunity to know, if you have the information please make it available so we can all go head on and attack our problem in Nigeria once and for all.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 3:27pm On Jun 01, 2011
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by johnie: 3:39pm On Jun 01, 2011
efisher:

Lol! I am also interested in the information. I want you to include the home addresses, phone numbers and bank account numbers of all the public office holders in your possession. Going by the FOI Act, I am entitled to the information and I demand it as my right. If you refuse, I will charge you to court for violating my rights!!!

grin
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by johnie: 5:11pm On Jun 01, 2011
What government officials think of FOI!

Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Seun(m): 12:10am On Jun 02, 2011
Excellent. Can someone please read this on our behalf, pretty please? cheesy
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Nobody: 12:20am On Jun 02, 2011
Da Doctor:

http://eienigeria.org/publications/29-resources/174-freedom-of-information-foi-act-of-2011

source of the FOI BILL

i cant find it there! all i see is about the election and co.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Nobody: 12:22am On Jun 02, 2011
Da Doctor:

The attached has just been passed.

you must be the one that compose that.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by manny4life(m): 12:25am On Jun 02, 2011
Seun:

Excellent.  Can someone please read this on our behalf, pretty please? cheesy

hehe, If I read it, how will I be compensated? That depends on how many pages not to exceed 100,
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Cue(m): 12:43am On Jun 02, 2011
thx da doc, need 2 kno u.add me on yahoo messenger pls, yurope1
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by eros(m): 12:48am On Jun 02, 2011
efisher:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

While you are at it, can someone tell Bankole to wire N50 million Naira into my personal account as part of the loot he stole from Nigeria. Since Uncle Jona is protecting him from being arrested and prosecuted by the EFCC. angry angry angry angry
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by beejaei: 12:53am On Jun 02, 2011
Kobojunie no get sense ooh. How you go dey ask for personal info? You no go like fly come carry am from the OP phone. orisiris
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kilode1: 1:19am On Jun 02, 2011
Seun:

Excellent. Can someone please read this on our behalf, pretty please? cheesy

Let's take a look at Sections 12 and 13;

12. (1) A public institution may deny an application for any information the disclosure of which
may be injurious to the conduct of international affairs and the defence of the Federal Republic
of Nigeria.

(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), an application for information shall not be denied where the
public interest in disclosing the information outweighs whatever injury disclosure would cause.
Exemption of international affairs and defence.

Section 12. (1) reads like an egg-shell we have to walk carefully around, I already forsee corrupt military contractors and unpatriotic military or civilian public officials using this section as shield to block investigation and prevent public media access to information that might lead to their conviction and prosecution. We need to be careful with that, but it is better than nothing.

12. (2) despite the good wording and intention here, I'm wondering who will determine what a viable "public interest" is. The custodian of such information? The Court? the president? and how will they determine "public interest" that "outweighs international affairs or defence" ?

13. (1) A public institution may deny an application for any information which contains—

(a) records complied(sic) by any public institution for administrative enforcement
proceedings and by any law enforcement or correctional agency for law enforcement
purposes or for internal matters of a public institution, but only to the extent that
disclosure would—

(i) interfere with pending or actual and reasonably contemplated law enforcement
proceedings conducted by any law enforcement or correctional agency;

(ii) interfere with pending administrative enforcement proceedings conducted by
any public institution;

(iii) deprive a person of a fair trial or an impartial hearing;

(iv) unavoidably disclose the identity of a confidential source;

(v) constitute an invasion of personal privacy under section 15 of this Bill,
however, where the interest of the public would be better served by having such
record being made available, this exemption to disclosure shall not apply;
Exemption of law enforcement and investigation

In 13 (i), what is "reasonably contemplated" ?

let's say I want to access the details of a case and look into the names and leads for an investigative story on a powerful politician who was earlier investigated for graft, will I be able to get police records without his friends in the Police preventing access by saying they are  in the process of "conducting a reasonably contemplated law enforcement proceedings"  on his case?

in 13(ii) Same with "administrative enforcement", does that mean i.e: Ministry of works can deny access to information because it is conducting "administrative enforcement proceeedings" into the case.

in 13 (iii) Will my demand for access to the records of say Ogun State Contract awards deny Gbenga Daniels "Fair trial or hearing" in his embezzlement court case? especially if I clearly intend to publish the contract award records in my Newspaper?

in 13 (iv) who is a confidential source? how did they define that?

in 13(v) I have the same concern as I have with 13 (i) plus what kind of private matters can be contained in a public service document? Phone logs? Illegally acquired property Address? Details of past crimes? video evicence of corrupt acts?

Make NL Lawyers help us out.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kilode1: 1:29am On Jun 02, 2011
8. (1) Where the government or public institution refuses to give access to a record or
information applied for under this Bill, or a part thereof, the institution shall state in the notice
given to the applicant the grounds for the refusal, the specific provision of this Bill that it relates
to and that the applicant has a right to challenge the decision refusing access and have it
reviewed by a Court.
(2) Any notification of denial of any application for information or records shall set forth the
names, designation and signature, of each person responsible for the denial of such application.

(3) The government or public institution shall be required to indicate under subsection (1)
whether the information or record exists.

(4) Where the government or public institution fails to give access to information or record
applied for under this Bill or part thereof within the time limit set out in this Bill, the institution
shall, for the purposes of this Bill, be deemed to have refused to give access.

(5) Where a case of wrongful denial of access is established, the defaulting officer or institution
shall on conviction be liable to a fine of N500,000.00 (Five hundred thousand naira)
Where access is
refused

This FOI bill is a pretty good bill really.

But why not just fire the Person?

Section 9
9. Fees shall be limited to standard charges for document duplication and transcription where
necessary

What is the point in asking for duplication and transcription fees, It is an unnecessary burden IMO undecided

I like the bill so far though.

Our Journalists will need to step up their game and act to rise up to the occasion.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by zstranger: 1:41am On Jun 02, 2011
Da Doctor:

Government house!!!!

Our SA on senate affairs sent it in

any probs with that extract?

lol!!
I am a Nigerian citizen, specializing in yahoo-yahoo and going by the FOI, I think the information you pretend to be your PERSONAL info, actually ought to be open to my person as well.

I am asking you for their bikini sizes or the color of their eyes here. I am asking you for information on people who work in the ministries for ME so I can harangue them with my stoooooooopedity and other Nigerians and their contact information so I can scam them and ask them questions of my country and how they are doing our work.

BY the way OP: You handled Kobo very well
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by nduchucks: 2:03am On Jun 02, 2011
I wouldn't get too excited about this bill yet. It may very well be useless to most Nigerians for the next few years.  It is instructive that a penny is yet to be appropriated to various agencies, to be used to comply with this bill.

As things stand, I can request for information from any agency but if the agency does not have the information in an appropriate form, they simply may be unable to provide it. My recourse? take the agency to court - the agency informs the court that it does not have the funds to comply with the bill. What next? Back to the ol' drawing board, no be so?

NASS needs to appropriate adequate funding for Information Systems, including computer IS, microfiche technology,  libraries, e.t.c. to make this thing work.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Pharoh: 3:04am On Jun 02, 2011
Nice one.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by JAZES(m): 5:53am On Jun 02, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I wouldn't get too excited about this bill yet. It may very well be useless to most Nigerians for the next few years.  It is instructive that a penny is yet to be appropriated to various agencies, to be used to comply with this bill.

As things stand, I can request for information from any agency but if the agency does not have the information in an appropriate form, they simply may be unable to provide it. My recourse? take the agency to court - the agency informs the court that it does not have the funds to comply with the bill. What next? Back to the ol' drawing board, no be so?

NASS needs to appropriate adequate funding for Information Systems, including computer IS, microfiche technology,  libraries, e.t.c. to make this thing work.

You have just hit the nail on the head.
Abi what is the essence of a bill in the absence of funds to properly make it accessible
to every Nigerians?
Truth is the senators will rather prefer to increase their jumbo pay instead of
moving the country forward. Yeye people
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by lacidi: 8:40am On Jun 02, 2011
@ Kilode. Please read to entire bill. Section 26.1(iii) states that the Court can order disclosure if it finds that the disclosure will serve the public interest more.

Section 22 also provides that proceedings in court for any application brought under the Act shall be heard summarily.

As for those who are only interested in finding negatives in the bill because they are disappointed that a PDP government actually passed such a wonderful bill, well, you will remain in the minority.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kilode1: 9:06am On Jun 02, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Very important point.

lacidi:

@ Kilode. Please read to entire bill. Section 26.1(iii) states that the Court can order disclosure if it finds that the disclosure will serve the public interest more.

Section 22 also provides that proceedings in court for any application brought under the Act shall be heard summarily.

As for those who are only interested in finding negatives in the bill because they are disappointed that a PDP government actually passed such a wonderful bill, well, you will remain in the minority.

Yes, I saw that part, but we are not sure how The Court will define or determine "Public interest" I'm not sure what the test will be. I guess we will have to test the law to get more clarity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "finding negatives in the law" Our laws and systems can only become stronger if people scrutinize them for loopholes or challenge them to become better. This is a democracy right? And these laws are made for people.

Also the credit for this bill should go to civil society groups who fought without wavering for close to 12 years to get this bill passed. They wrote the law, campaigned and endured several attempts to throw it in the dustbin or water it down completely.

You should also thank progressive ACN representatives like Abike Dabiri, now a Senator, who relentlessly pushed and presented this bill for years while OBJ and his PDP were blocking it. I'm sure you remember the foul mouthed Abba Aji and his comments about the bill.

GEJ gets credit for signing it, but the greater credit should go to those folks.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by zstranger: 9:15am On Jun 02, 2011
Yeah, credit to Abike Dabiri

She did great on Newsnight, now doing more fabulous in the NASS.

Future Lagos State Governor/Senator! Insha Allah

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abuja-Kano Road: Fashola Blames "Senators’ Request" For Slow Pace Of Work / Nigerian Foreign Reserves In Steady Decline / Abaribe: 2021 Budget Is Unrealistic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.