Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,791 members, 7,802,503 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

Homicidal Convoy Driving As A Funeral Rite - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Homicidal Convoy Driving As A Funeral Rite (1314 Views)

Sparklin Clean Toyota Avensis For Sale(rite Hand) / Ldv 400 Convoy Van Is Available At A Give Away Price Of N620k / 2004 Honda Accord Ex-l - Looks Gud Rite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Homicidal Convoy Driving As A Funeral Rite by Jakumo(m): 2:14pm On Jul 24, 2007
One of the most alarming local traditions that a visitor to Southwest Nigeria may have the misfortune of witnessing is that which takes place on city and town main roads to mark the death of a professional driver.  After fortifying themselves with cheap alcohol, associates of the deceased driver get behind the wheels of their vehicles, be they taxis, tipper trucks or 18-wheeler tractor trailer semis, and then the madness commences in earnest.   

Carried out in full view of the police, a speeding convoy of vehicles sets forth with its drivers deliberately swerving wildly across all lanes as they careen through the main thoroughfares of towns and cities, often with the corpse of the departed strapped precariously to the hood of the lead vehicle,  scattering oncoming traffic like chickens,  and more than occasionally hitting pedestrians and the vehicles of unsuspecting road users in the melee.  Additional deaths sustained by celebrant drivers in the funeral procession are amazingly considered grounds to schedule yet more kamikaze rallies, regardless of the utterly predictable cause and effect carnage already recorded.

The fact that this sort of spontaneous breakdown of civil order can occur in full view of Nigerian law enforcement agencies is powerful testimony to the state of affairs in that country even today in 2007.

Should convoys of vehicles be permitted to deliberately wreak terror and steer into collisions on Nigerian public roads in the name of "tradition " ?  What is your opinion ?
Re: Homicidal Convoy Driving As A Funeral Rite by Seun(m): 3:21pm On Jul 24, 2007
First time I'm hearing about this practice. Thanks for sharing. Moving to Auto section.
Re: Homicidal Convoy Driving As A Funeral Rite by Jakumo(m): 7:27pm On Jul 24, 2007
Convoys of kamikaze taxis I have seen from the roadside with mine own scared eyes, Seun, but big truck drivers do apparently hit the streets the exact same way to mark funerals, and that I hope never to encounter when I'm there.
Re: Homicidal Convoy Driving As A Funeral Rite by ikamefa(f): 7:32pm On Jul 24, 2007
@topic what part of the south west

in what state/s exactly? undecided
Re: Homicidal Convoy Driving As A Funeral Rite by Jakumo(m): 8:25pm On Jul 24, 2007
Funeral assault-convoy runs are reportedly rampant in Ikorodu, Lagos State, as well as in Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State, to name but a few towns in that geographical area.
Re: Homicidal Convoy Driving As A Funeral Rite by Kashif(m): 2:40pm On Jul 31, 2007
I have seen with my own eyes in Aba, Abia state. What I saw was naked madnes and amplified recklesness. I saw buses - alive, in coma, dead, flying too low in streets with full headlamp beams. You dare not stay close.

One of the drivers jumped out of his bus stark naked!! You can't imagine that? I though I would hear that one/some of them died out of the 'demonstration' following day, but heard nothing!

A similar thing was when I saw okada driversriders stage solidarity. No be small thing.
Re: Homicidal Convoy Driving As A Funeral Rite by Jakumo(m): 10:12pm On Aug 01, 2007
Thank you for that contribution, Kashif. Obviously this madness is being practiced in other parts of Nigeria besides the south west.

If murderous funeral convoys are a nationwide phenomenon, then it is about time government holds the leadership of Nigerias road transport unions criminally liable for any damage, death or injury caused by these automotive street assaults.

An official stop to this sort of anarchy is certainly long overdue. That is for sure.
Re: Homicidal Convoy Driving As A Funeral Rite by Jakumo(m): 6:39am On Aug 21, 2007
Less than a week ago in the town of Shagamu, Ogun State, a homicidal funeral convoy of dilapidated taxis, driven by drunk shirt-less men, assembled on a street in front of the local police station and proceeded to swerve and careen at insane speeds all over the road in the usual fashion, but this time the route chosen took the convoy towards the nearby expressway, which was busy with heavy traffic heading to and from Lagos.

A fully laden petrol tanker approached the Shagamu intersection along the expressway at highway speed, and was suddenly confronted by swarms of speeding, swerving taxis driven by drunk funeral celebrants on both sides of the expressway. In a futile attempt to avoid the mad taxi horde that had invaded the highway in front of his speeding petrol tanker, the driver of the 18-wheeler juggernaut lost control and crashed into a row of roadside buildings, igniting a monstrous triple explosion that incinerated 25 vehicles along with numerous buildings on both sides of the highway.

Astonishingly, no corpses were found in the charred rubble of the explosion and resultant fire-storm, but that does not preclude the possibility that a few people were burnt to ashes in the huge fire whose massive column of smoke was reportedly visible ten miles from the scene.

While this tragedy was reported in all the Nigerian newspapers, the CAUSE of the accident, namely the invasion of a major federal highway by a convoy of drunk taxi drivers, was not disclosed. Blame was placed on the petrol tanker driver who was assumed to have been driving too fast.

Again I wonder how long this sort of insanity will be condoned on Nigerian streets and highways. How much longer will Nigerian law enforcement agencies continue to turn a blind eye to this absolutely MAD practice of high speed funeral convoys terrorising road users and deliberately seeking to cause major car pile-ups on city streets, all the name of "tradition " ?

(1) (Reply)

Honda Accord I-vtech 2007 (discussion Continues) For Sale Very Low Mileage! / C Class Elegance / 2001 Nissan Xterra 4x4 V6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.