Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,946 members, 7,806,739 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration (5058 Views)

APC Tweets About Money AIT Got From GEJ's Administration. Do You Agree? / Festus Keyamo Tweet On Fuel Scarcity During GEJ's Administration / Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by 4Play(m): 8:20am On Jun 02, 2011
Nigeria, a nation of over 150 million people, generated only 2,000 megawatts of electricity this week. Ethnic, religious and political crises have claimed thousands of lives and displaced countless more. Maternal mortality is among the highest in the world. Not a single university in the country appears among the top 5,000 universities in the world. Infrastructure, where it exists is broken and neglected.

Yet, this year, government will spend more to subsidize petrol (about USD 5 billion) than on roads, education, health and power combined. This prioritization is symptomatic of the political economy of today’s Nigeria.

At issue is whether Nigeria remains a “Clique Democracy” or a real, people-driven democracy; whether the current leadership, sworn in again on Sunday has the character, vision and will to defy vested political and business interests to govern decently and grow the economy. Without a major change in the way our country is governed there is reason to fear that what should be Africa’s leading economy, will instead be courting disaster.

President Goodluck Jonathan’s first 18 months at the helm did not bode well. The politics of division has pitted northerners against southerners and Christians against Muslims to the point that obtaining the cohesion and social harmony necessary for economic development will be very difficult.

In the last 4 years, the administration led first by Umaru Yar’Adua, then by Jonathan spent over $200 billion of oil and non-oil revenues, including over $23 billion the previous administration left behind in the Excess Crude Account (ECA) – designed to create savings from revenues above the budgeted price of oil. There is little to show for it. No single major infrastructure investment or policy initiative has been concluded. About a third of that amount was spent under Jonathan’s watch. As Acting President and then President, he ran down the ECA to less than $500 million from the over $6 billion he inherited – sharing out the nation’s savings account to State Governors and traditional rulers to win their support for his presidential bid.

Not content with spending our savings, Jonathan borrowed massively. Nigeria’s domestic and external debts also increased rapidly. According to the Debt Management Office, our domestic debt rose from N2, 051 billion (US $14 billion) in 2007 to N3, 228 billion ($21 billion) by 2010 in the three years Yar’Adua was in charge. Jonathan ramped up domestic borrowing within a year to N4, 869 billion (US $32 billion) – borrowing a massive $11 billion in less than 12 months. Our external debt also increased from $3.719 billion at the end of 2009 to $5.227 billion by March 2011. No one can point to a new power station, seaport, rail line or interstate road completed.

Worse still, oil revenues for the year will not cover the salaries and running cost of the Federal Government according to projections in the 2011 budget. This is in a country where around 30 million people have no jobs. There is little or no investment in physical and human capital, even with very high oil prices the administration has enjoyed. The consequence is militancy in the Niger Delta, extremist violence in the north. Nigeria is now more divided – along religious and ethnic lines – than at any time since the civil war in the 1960s. Internal security must necessarily be the priority.

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2011/06/01/post-election-nigeria-muddling-through-or-economic-disaster/
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by jensinmi(m): 8:49am On Jun 02, 2011
El-Rufai is speaking the truth like it is going out of fashion.

Excellent article.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Nobody: 8:49am On Jun 02, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan’s first 18 months at the helm did not bode well. The politics of division has pitted northerners against southerners and Christians against Muslims to the point that obtaining the cohesion and social harmony necessary for economic development will be very difficult.

Nigeria is now more divided – along religious and ethnic lines – than at any time since the civil war in the 1960s. Internal security must necessarily be the priority.

This is another example of selective appreciation of history which most Nigerians are very guilty of. Is he saying Jonathan goodluck is responsible for the above? Where was the Muslim or Northern establishment when a dead man was allowed to remain at the helm for so long just because his successor will be a Southern Christain? That issue divided this country more than anything else in recent memory and unfortunately the Northerners did not rise to the occassion to demonstrate their love for united Nigeria when necesary.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Mcleo007(m): 9:02am On Jun 02, 2011
mikeansy:

This is another example of selective appreciation of history which most Nigerians are very guilty of. Is he saying Jonathan goodluck is responsible for the above? Where was the Muslim or Northern establishment when a dead man was allowed to remain at the helm for so long just because his successor will be a Southern Christain? That issue divided this country more than anything else in recent memory and unfortunately the Northerners did not rise to the occassion to demonstrate their love for united Nigeria when necesary.

You just poured out the words right from my skull. Such a spaz, this El-rufai of a man. With all his intelligence, one would have expected something more concise and incisive. This piece is just another northern scheme to downbeat the achieving capabilities of the southerners. He writes as if its with the advent of GEJ's leadership that all these problems started. I keep saying it, it took Nigeria so long to rot; it'd take a long time to heal the rot. Pls, allow the president be.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Lagosboy: 9:29am On Jun 02, 2011
Guys why do we have to look at the hole and not the doughnut. El Rufais article largely talks about the financial recklessness of GEJ and the fact Nigeria is going no where if the status quo remains. Why do we have to isolate his comments on the division as if that is the only thing highlighted in the article.

Focus on the positives of his article.

El Rufai has largely spoken well.

Yet, this year, government will spend more to subsidize petrol (about USD 5 billion) than on roads, education, health and power combined. This prioritization is symptomatic of the political economy of today’s Nigeria.

This is very scary and it means guys like FO and his gangs will feed fat and the remaining money voted for education, roads, health power will be shared by the other thieves . Well Well well I voted for GEJ and not PDP !!
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by BP(m): 12:53pm On Jun 03, 2011
El-Rufai always says the truth sometimes. He once said Buhari had nothing to offer Nigerians. I believe him.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Badesh(m): 1:39pm On Jun 03, 2011
My petite El rufai thinks by voicing all his vernom, the situation will get better. At this point in time of our history, someone of his calibre I expect will be busy meeting with other egg heads within the polity with a view to serving this nation and not pulling down some government policies that hitherto were introduced so as to better our lots. Ordinarily, one felt bad with the situation he found himself after leaving office as the minister for the FCT, yet we prayed that he does not go down entirely.

Now the man can only busy himself with rethorics which will not move us beyond our enclave.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by youngies(m): 4:13pm On Jun 03, 2011
El Rufai has been unemployed for a while now.
It is not easy to cope especially if you are used to chopping
There is no need condescending so low just because you want a job so that you can also chop
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by emekagh(m): 8:34pm On Jun 03, 2011
Has El Rufia cleared himself of all the allegation against him? kettle calling a pot black!
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Ibime(m): 12:57am On Jun 04, 2011
Whether you like El Rufai or not, figures don't lie. Soludo said the same. Men lie, woman lie, numbers don't.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Kobojunkie: 1:08am On Jun 04, 2011
[size=13pt]In the last 4 years, the administration led first by Umaru Yar’Adua, then by Jonathan spent over $200 billion of oil and non-oil revenues, including over $23 billion the previous administration left behind in the Excess Crude Account (ECA) – designed to create savings from revenues above the budgeted price of oil.[/size] There is little to show for it. No single major infrastructure investment or policy initiative has been concluded. About a third of that amount was spent under Jonathan’s watch. As Acting President and then President, he ran down the ECA to less than $500 million from the over $6 billion he inherited – sharing out the nation’s savings account to State Governors and traditional rulers to win their support for his presidential bid.

Not content with spending our savings, Jonathan borrowed massively. Nigeria’s domestic and external debts also increased rapidly. According to the Debt Management Office, our domestic debt rose from N2, 051 billion (US $14 billion) in 2007 to N3, 228 billion ($21 billion) by 2010 in the three years Yar’Adua was in charge. [size=13pt]Jonathan ramped up domestic borrowing within a year to N4, 869 billion (US $32 billion) – borrowing a massive $11 billion in less than 12 months. Our external debt also increased from $3.719 billion at the end of 2009 to $5.227 billion by March 2011. No one can point to a new power station, seaport, rail line or interstate road completed.[/size]

Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Ikengawo: 3:18am On Jun 04, 2011
first of all, to announce the 'amount spent' as a means of provoking outrage is silly and ridiculous because El Rufai is implying every naira spent was a waste or went to corrupt ends. Believe it or not running a country of 150 million people is not cheap, nor free.

second of all nigeria didn't make 200 billion dollars in oil revenue and only a %age of oil revenue goes to the federal government which is then divided into the states and ministries so where does El Rufai get the figure that the federal government spent 200 billion dollars? that's on par with the average european country's national budget.

sometimes you people need to use your God given sense to sort through the thick web of sensationalism that is Nigeria.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Pukkah: 8:56am On Jun 04, 2011
"Our external debt also increased from $3.719 billion at the end of 2009 to $5.227 billion by March 2011. No one can point to a new power station, seaport, rail line or interstate road completed."

Is this a lie? Governance is not for the faint-hearted and we should put our government under pressure to be accountable and deliver. No justification does it, just perform.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by DisGuy: 9:19am On Jun 04, 2011
Badesh:

My petite El rufai thinks by voicing all his vernom, the situation will get better. At this point in time of our history, someone of his calibre I expect will be busy meeting with other egg heads within the polity with a view to serving this nation and not pulling down some government policies that hitherto were introduced so as to better our lots. Ordinarily, one felt bad with the situation he found himself after leaving office as the minister for the FCT, yet we prayed that he does not go down entirely.

Now the man can only busy himself with rethorics which will not move us beyond our enclave.

can you move the nation forward if you are being hounded by govt lawyers that wont show up in court or deliberately file court papers at teh wrong court just to delay and waste your time and money?
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by violent(m): 9:35am On Jun 04, 2011
Mcleo007:

You just poured out the words right from my skull. Such a spaz, this El-rufai of a man. With all his intelligence, one would have expected something more concise and incisive. This piece is just another northern scheme to downbeat the achieving capabilities of the southerners. He writes as if its with the advent of GEJ's leadership that all these problems started. I keep saying it, it took Nigeria so long to rot; it'd take a long time to heal the rot. Pls, allow the president be.

You mean expected something more árse-licking?

The dude made important points about GEJ's 18 months leadership, the financial recklessness that followed, and how impoverish we are now, than we've ever been, and all you could see from the article is a Norther campaign against a southern shyt?  can you guys learn to grow up and be wise?

In as much as it's true that certain problems such as "Northern crises" etcetra did not start with Jonathan's leadership, how about the reckless financial spending that followed his assumption of office, should we also blame those on past leaders?  El-rufai painted a fine picture, supported by numbers that can be confirmed (or not), and the first thing that came to your fooolish  funny mind is that "Nigeria has taken so long to rot"? grow up i say!
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Mcleo007(m): 10:00am On Jun 04, 2011
violent:

You mean expected something more árse-licking?

The dude made important points about GEJ's 18 months leadership, the financial recklessness that followed, and how impoverish we are now, than we've ever been, and all you could see from the article is a Norther campaign against a southern shyt?  can you guys learn to grow up and be wise?

In as much as it's true that certain problems such as "Northern crises" etcetra did not start with Jonathan's leadership, how about the reckless financial spending that followed his assumption of office, should we also blame those on past leaders?  El-rufai painted a fine picture, supported by numbers that can be confirmed (or not), and the first thing that came to your fooolish  funny mind is that "Nigeria has taken so long to rot"? grow up i say!

You're not deserving of my reply.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by playmode(m): 10:28am On Jun 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Kobo don't stress yourself over Nigeria.The same people you are concerned about are not concerned about themselves ,our country and our unborn generations.These same people are the ones who will attack you viciously while defending the indefensible.These are our kinsmen ,relatives,friends and associates.They make up the whole Nigeria but they fail to make decisions that will better their own lives.

My relatives voted for Jonathan.I warned them about the consequences of doing so but tribalism got the better part of them.Today those same relatives are the same people leaving voice messages on my phone asking me to send money to them.Needless to say i ignore 99% of those messages,they should ask Jonathan to send them money instead of disturbing me.As far as i am concerned they are on their own (OYO).They could have gone for a progressive option but they chose the option that will make them even poorer so they deserve all the hardship they get.I am not a fan of buhari but there were other better candidates that they could have rallied behind but refused to because according to their baboon logic of identifying a good leader : Jonathan is humble ,quiet and from the south  undecided

I have made up my mind not to give myself high blood pressure over Nigerian politics.Nigerians deserve the leaders the get.I think Nigerians suffer from the Stockholm syndrome,they always seem to fall in love with the same people who enslave them.I used to think there was hope for Nigeria but i realize now that GEJ and co are not the problem. Ordinary Nigerian like us are the problem of Nigeria.As long as there some amongst us who are willing to sell their souls for a couple of billions we are doomed.

I taught IBB was a wasteful spender but i am sure that we can all agree that no one tops GEJ when its comes to waste and corruption.At the rate at which Nigeria is going ,if the status quo does not change , Zimbabwe will look like a 5 star hotel when compared to Nigeria.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by violent(m): 10:49am On Jun 04, 2011
Mcleo007:

You're not deserving of my reply.

Oh wise and mighty one, how do you suppose i could live if i don't get a response from you?
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Pukkah: 11:04am On Jun 04, 2011
"Our external debt also increased from $3.719 billion at the end of 2009 to $5.227 billion by March 2011. No one can point to a new power station, seaport, rail line or interstate road completed."

Is this a lie? Governance is not for the faint-hearted and we should put our government under pressure to be accountable and deliver. No justification does it, just perform.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by jimmysho(m): 11:46am On Jun 04, 2011
Am not disturbed by the ranting of arc elrufai's because everything is premised on the justification of the ill that will soon befall due to some of his sharp practices while in the office. all his utterances these day is preparatory to his anticipated judgement and he will cry foul. his followers will believe that such judiciary position is misplaced and he was given such sentencing because of his being critical about the president and his administration
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by DrummaBoy(m): 12:04pm On Jun 04, 2011
Safemode bore my mind. GEJ supporters is the amount of state money GEJ spend on his election not enough to bankrupt Nig?
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 04, 2011
Dear Elrufai, I will alwys admire the work you did in FCT but u are as corrupt as they come all those lands u allocated to yourself and cohorts. The one u allocated to your wife and family. Have u not heard of conflict of interest?? All the corpers u were paying outrageous amt because according to u they are Harvard Graduates yet almighty sir, u graduated from ABU. Since u left dat school what has been your contribution to d institution that produced a "fine gentleman" such as yourself so we may have more of u?
Are u unaware of the almajiri situation in kaduna your state of origin? What have u and several other bigwigs like urself done about it?? Actions speak louder than words mr preacher about the failings of the Govt,preach to yourself first.Maybe nxt time you are privilaged to serve us, u will be able to keep your hands from the till and do a better work.we beived in you haba! U let us down bigtime.
Although your article abt Gej is on point, I just feel u are no better than he is you only talk better and we all know talk is cheap.Corruption IS Corruption.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by MaiSuya(m): 5:13pm On Jun 04, 2011
Ikengawo:

first of all, to announce the 'amount spent' as a means of provoking outrage is silly and ridiculous because El Rufai is implying every naira spent was a waste or went to corrupt ends. Believe it or not running a country of 150 million people is not cheap, nor free.

No kidding!!  grin

But lets face it, I don't think anyone, not even his harshest critic, is under any illusion that running a country our size comes cheap; money--and lots of it--must be spent on, and for, its citizens, 150milla and all.

that however, is the vexing issue: is the money actually being spent on its long suffering citizens, or, as most people believe, on a minute, privileged and pampered clique of perpetual beneficiaries?

Is it too much to ask that when such humongous figures are being peddled, there should be some measurable [i]evident [/i]improvement in the lives of Nigerians?

[b]There is little to show for it. No single major infrastructure investment or policy initiative has been concluded. [/b]About a third of that amount was spent under Jonathan’s watch. As Acting President and then President, he ran down the ECA to less than $500 million from the over $6 billion he inherited – sharing out the nation’s savings account to State Governors and traditional rulers to win their support for his presidential bid.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by texazzpete(m): 5:49pm On Jun 04, 2011
Ikengawo:

second of all nigeria didn't make 200 billion dollars in oil revenue and only a %age of oil revenue goes to the federal government which is then divided into the states and ministries so where does El Rufai get the figure that the federal government spent 200 billion dollars? that's on par with the average european country's national budget.

1. It's a percentage, yes, but a hefty percentage of that $200 billion.
2. He says the Federal Govt spent $200 billion in 4 years, not in one year.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by texazzpete(m): 5:50pm On Jun 04, 2011
youngies:

El Rufai has been unemployed for a while now.
It is not easy to cope especially if you are used to chopping
There is no need condescending so low just because you want a job so that you can also chop

It's much easier to attack the man instead of actually using your brains to refute the logic in his statement abi?
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by oiseworld: 1:51am On Jun 05, 2011
thanks to elrufai for drawing our attention to the rate of spending of the gej administration, but we just have to trust someone. i have always supported lucky, and i believe he will perform. this is the attitude i carry in my day to day business activities.

i think we should encourage him and believe he can. and i don't think gej spent all that money himself, it must have gone through one gov. minister,Government official, who most likely be your next door neighbour, friend, brother. ( at least a Nigerian). so the issue should not be blamed on one man (gej) na GOD! we should carry some blame too. that's what we did during obj administration.

let us be positive for once. Haba!,
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by adconline(m): 2:19am On Jun 05, 2011
Nigeria is in a mess! If Yar'dua and GEJ spent $200 Billion in 4 years without nothing to show for it, then OBJ and Co including El Rufai spent $400 billion without nothing to show for it either. So the circle of nothing to show for it continues.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by Kobojunkie: 2:24am On Jun 05, 2011
adconline:

Nigeria is in a mess! If Yar'dua and GEJ spent $200 Billion in 4 years without nothing to show for it, then OBJ and Co including El Rufai spent $400 billion without nothing to show for it either. So the circle of nothing to show for it continues.

nah!!! I wouldn't be quick to do that if I were you.

El Rufai played a major part in designing and building of the Federal Capital territory you have today. Plus, he was not the VP at the time Obasanjo was President, and he served 4 of the 8 Obasanjo years, as MINISTER of Federal Capitcal Territory, not President/VP of Nigeria. And the $400 billion figure you cooked up there, that is a stretch considering the price of oil and Nigeria's production levels during those 8 years.  wink

Can we please stop all these useless attempts to attack the messenger, and focus instead on the truth of the message?  undecided
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by adconline(m): 4:55am On Jun 05, 2011
nah!!! I wouldn't be quick to do that if I were you.

El Rufai played a major part in designing and building of the Federal Capital territory you have today.

Played which part in designing FCT?  From your post it could be said that Jerry Useni  funded Abuja then?

Plus, he was not the VP at the time Obasanjo was President, and he served 4 of the 8 Obasanjo years, as MINISTER of Federal Capitcal Territory, not President/VP of Nigeria. And the $400 billion figure you cooked up there, that is a stretch considering the price of oil and Nigeria's production levels during those 8 years.  Wink

So a minister who served under  OBJ had no responsibility or portfolio ?  He was head of BPE which sold all the companies to government conies, and over 80% of the privatized companies are moribund according VP Sambo.  Did he also cook up $200 billion  that Yar'dua and Jonathan spent in 4 years?  Nigerian  BPD production was much more consistent in OBJ and revenue stream was almost the same  with Yar'dua's tenure, so they generated the same amount of money. OBJ spent $16b on power without anything to show for it.

Can we please stop all these useless attempts to attack the messenger, and focus instead on the truth of the message

It does not negate the fact that he was part of the same charade that indulged in this senseless spending binge without anything to show for it.
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by karlmax2: 7:01am On Jun 05, 2011
The same el rufai that has refused to come to court to defend himself of corrupt charges brought against him by the EFCC!!! After he was granted bail he has been abroad running his mouth very soon he would be declared wanted!! Ole,barawo calling other people theif he should come home and defend his charges if he is a saint
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by emekagh(m): 8:36am On Jun 05, 2011
karl max:

The same el rufai that has refused to come to court to defend himself of corrupt charges brought against him by the EFCC!!! After he was granted bail he has been abroad running his mouth very soon he would be declared wanted!! Ole,barawo calling other people theif he should come home and defend his charges if he is a saint

The guilty are afraid! - James Hadley Chase
Re: Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration by reindeer: 8:58am On Jun 05, 2011
It is a shame people have chosen to ignore the points made in the article and are instead attacking the personality of ElRufai.
Are we now that dumb and biased as a people that we no longer reason from facts but from who we voted for?
What stops us from demanding from accountability from our president? So because he is a southerner he can be excused for mortgaging the country's future?
We can do better than this, whoever holds that office is accountable to Nigerians and that is what we should be doing, not castigating whistle-blowers. Now the FOI bill has been passed, i will expect all the people here to demand statements from GEJ.
It will be a big shame if all thoughts and reasoning has to pass through the ethnic and religious filter.
Nigerian will remain in doldrums till we learn to demand for good governance regardless of who holds power.
A wasteful man should nener be allowed to stay at the helm.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Policemen, Alhaji In Police Net For Illegal Arrest, Extortion / Oba Of Benin Son Of Alafin Who Is The Son Of Oduduwa / How Did My Name Change To Babymama1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.