Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,114 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:58 AM

Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight (95174 Views)

22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die / Nigerian Food One Can Eat To Add Weight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 24, 2007
i need ur assistance house.Wat kinds of nigerian foods can one eat and in what proptions if watching weight cuz i realized all our meals are carbohydrates except beans so i want u people to help me out
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by PTBNaija(f): 8:29pm On Jul 24, 2007
You can eat anything that is not fried if you are trying to lose weight. But even food that is fried can be eaten. . .as long as it's occasional. And some foods that are fried can be cooked differently. Such as instead of frying your plantain, try boiling it. Just little changes like that. . .and work out. You can't lose weight by cutting calories alone (well you can, but it will come off slower).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by CrazyMan(m): 8:16pm On Jul 25, 2007
Avoid heavy foods such as yam, eba, fufu, amala.

all other foods such as rice, bread, and others are considered as light food.

If you stlll need more advice you can go to a conslutant center
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by tonmax(f): 11:38am On Jul 27, 2007
Fruits and veggie they are very good. But you've got to be disciplined.
Unripe plantain in any forn is a good source as well/

cheers
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 01, 2007
You can eat Acha, it is a locally grown food in plateau, highly protenoius and recomended for diabetic patients. You can make it as a pudding, porriadge and fufu

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by obyann(f): 6:09pm On Aug 01, 2007
Eat Fruits and Vegetables. Avoid eating starchy (carbohydrates) foods at night. As a matter of fact avoid eating late at night.
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by yeto(f): 2:59pm On Aug 04, 2007
avoid eating after 6pm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by nomless: 12:17am On Mar 31, 2010
For swallow, u can eat wheat. It is rich in proteins as well acha is good too.
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by Nobody: 7:56pm On Mar 31, 2010
it's not just about the type of food, it's also the quantity. you need to watch that. most times we eat more food than the body needs

that having been said

1. Amala is light. It's got a higher water content than most of the other swallow foods. if you feel like eating any of the others, just make sure you eat smaller than your new small portion. Also, remember to skim off the extra oil in the soup. you don't need that.

2. Eko/agidi - with soup or stews and meat/fish. remember to skim off the extra oil

3. Boiled ripe plantain

4. Unripe plantain in any form

5. Soybeans

6. You can eat rice/yam/pasta/tuber foods, just watch your portions, and make sure the healthy stuff (beans/plantain/moimoi/salad) is at least equal to the quantity of rice. if u obey the portion rule, u'll find that you often have to share a plate with someone

7. Moinmoin - when prepared with enough protein (fish/corned beef/bone marrow - yum), it's a balanced diet on its own.

8. fruit salad/veggie salad brekkie or dinner. just to cleanse your system

9. More fiber - coconuts, tiger nuts (ofio), vegetable soup/stew (if you feel like nibbling something but aint really hungry)

10. Snack on carrots or fruits instead of processed biscuits and stuff

11. Cut down on your sugar. About the only thing i eat sugar with these days is my cereal/coffee, and even that isn't much. 1 cube, or max 2 is enough for one serving.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by adetoru(f): 8:47pm On Apr 14, 2010
It's noi easy oh but I lost weight by reducing my food portions
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by Bluemoon1(f): 1:39am On May 25, 2010
Stay away from Rice. rice is more fattening than any other carboohydrate

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by zebra543: 10:24pm On May 25, 2010
sTay of the starch, the carbs and the oil, there isnt actually much you can eat! Leafy vegetables and lean meat is fine, go ahead and prepare stews as normal but with little or no oil and take them alone without the normal solids, garri is quite good for weight loss too soo long as it isnt too much or taken with the normal junk smoked fish and grilled plaintain is great too, you can take that with veg. Eko or ogi is very good food as well. Beans is still high in carbs so u should be weary of quantity. Pumpkin is also very nice and its not starchy at all, you can eat boiled egg etc etc

whatever you do DO NOT eat rice!!! replace it with MINUTE amounts of cous cous, try and get some lettuce carrots cabbage etc they are very low in calories. Eat plenty of fruits for snacking, dont eat nuts. Drink ALOT of water esp before you begin to eat, it will reduce your intake and you will feel fuller quicker., if you take time to explore the different foods Nigeria has to offer im sure you will come accross other healthy options
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by Fhemmmy: 3:21pm On May 26, 2010
Gari and sugar
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by Ejadamen(f): 8:43pm On May 26, 2010
I thought one should avoid garri, how does garri help lose weight and does that mean eba is okay?
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by zebra543: 8:45pm On May 26, 2010
no eba is far from ok, garri is good because of the high water content, you will tend to drink more water than the garri you consume. reason why the children in secondary school are always soo skinny
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by Nobody: 8:46pm On May 26, 2010
Blue moon:

True that. Esp fried rice, jollof rice, etc

Fhemmmy:

Gari and sugar
Too much starch. Excess sugar, femi, you're begging for diabetes.

@poster
Best u can do is:

adetoru:

Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by Ejadamen(f): 8:51pm On May 26, 2010
zebra543:

no eba is far from ok, garri is good because of the high water content, you will tend to drink more water than the garri you consume. reason why the children in secondary school are always soo skinny
Ok which is better? White or yellow garri?
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by zebra543: 9:02pm On May 26, 2010
white garri, palm oil is added to the yellow one some may even prefer the sour taste for drinking alone
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by Ejadamen(f): 11:05am On May 27, 2010
zebra543:

sTay of the starch, the carbs and the oil, there isnt actually much you can eat! Leafy vegetables and lean meat is fine, go ahead and prepare stews as normal but with little or no oil and take them alone without the normal solids, garri is quite good for weight loss too soo long as it isnt too much or taken with the normal junk smoked fish and grilled plaintain is great too, you can take that with veg. Eko or ogi is very good food as well. Beans is still high in carbs so u should be weary of quantity. Pumpkin is also very nice and its not starchy at all, you can eat boiled egg etc etc

whatever you do DO NOT eat rice!!! replace it with MINUTE amounts of cous cous, try and get some lettuce carrots cabbage etc they are very low in calories. Eat plenty of fruits for snacking, dont eat nuts. Drink ALOT of water esp before you begin to eat, it will reduce your intake and you will feel fuller quicker., if you take time to explore the different foods Nigeria has to offer im sure you will come accross other healthy options
Why now?(about the rice) What is cous cous?

No ijebu garri for east cry
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by browncocos(f): 1:02pm On May 27, 2010
adetoru:

true that
i was 60kg after having my baby
and am back to 50kg pre-baby weight,since baby was 5mos
and all i did was reduce my portions
the 1st week was the hardest cause youll be a lot hungry
ill suggest u make vegetable salad and coleslaw and eat when ure feeling hungry

pls reduce your mayo n salad cream intake coz dey r fattening,
reduce i said less is more

you can make several kinds of salad

the reg salad with cucumber,onions,green pepper,carrots,lettuce et al

u can add chunks of pineapple to add sweetness,
chunks of apples
or add some chicken strips to the salad

or almonds
or dried raisins

just so you dont get tired of eating salad all the time

cheers

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by Fhemmmy: 6:47pm On May 27, 2010
FL Gators:

True that. Esp fried rice, jollof rice, etc
Too much starch. Excess sugar, femi, you're begging for diabetes.

@poster
Best u can do is:

OK . . .Add honey to it them tongue
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by zebra543: 7:40pm On May 27, 2010
Rice is very starchy and back home its over eaten, portion sizes are excessive, your better of having pasta or noodles cous cous is now available in nigeria its a medditerian rice/pasta type food, its very filling so dont be deceived by small quantities! But its a better risk than rice! a handful with smoked/boiled fish and vegetable is enough for dinner. If there is no ijebu garri there mite still be other garris that will taste fine to eat alone, try not to take it with suger or milk or any of that rubbish your piling unneccesary calories to it. Take it alone
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by ayo84(m): 11:21am On May 28, 2010
Abeg i dey even find foods that will make me gain weight sef.i really find it hard to believe people are really trying to loose weight, i for like make dem add me some of their excess weight.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by zebra543: 12:39pm On May 28, 2010
^^ i know what you mean! You probably have a fast metabolism, continue eating starchy and oily foods you should be fine!
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by DivineR: 11:09am On Sep 22, 2010
what of semovita and gala
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by OmoAlata(f): 4:02pm On May 02, 2011
Thanks for this. I googled what Nigerians can eat instead of carbs and came across this thread. I now know that I am eating too much rice!! shocked I am under 10stones but need to lose my belly. I still look pregnant even though son is 2 years old cry I exercise daily but belly is still large so I reckoned it's my food and as our food contains lots of carbs, wondered what on earth I could eat instead.

I'll replace the rice with couscous, thanks wink
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by rukie(f): 9:46am On Mar 01, 2012
Blue moon:

are u serious shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by jimall: 2:03pm On Mar 01, 2012
Yes so I heard. It is SO fattening.

You can see other fat-storing Nigerian foods and fat-BURNING Nigerian foods here
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by kemmeye: 9:22pm On Mar 01, 2012
dont eat white bread that thing is literally a killer in disguise it has so much carbs in it seriously if you're gonna eat bread eat wheat bread or any whole grain and also switch your white rice to brown rice, reduce oil intake. Thats what i can come up with right now
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by tpia5: 1:51am On Mar 02, 2012
Eat more brown than white rice, substitute honey for sugar (try to cut out processed sugar completely from your diet), etc.

Its very difficult but sometimes necessary.

Not sure brown rice is available in nigeria actually- maybe ofada rice can substitute.
Re: Nigerian Foods That One Can Eat If Watching Weight by tpia5: 1:53am On Mar 02, 2012
Also, reduce your use of oil and use healthier versions like olive oil, etc.

Though the taste might be a bit different from the usual.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stunning Photos Of Hilda Baci / Oyinbo People Queue To Buy Nigerian Jollof Rice From "Mama Put" In London. / See What My Girl Friend Served Me For Lunch - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.