Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,893 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:08 AM

Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? (3812 Views)

Which European Football Club Has The Highest Supporters In Nigeria? / Why Is Football The Global Game? / Nairaland Rules, The Sports Section & European Football Club Threads: A Must-Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by otumfour(m): 9:14pm On Jun 03, 2011
It's been another momentous year for African footballers, with players from the continent involved in title-winning sides in Spain, Italy, France and Germany. Others have won a domestic cup, although the biggest trophy on offer ended up in the hands of Mali's Seydou Keita after his Barcelona side destroyed Manchester United at Wembley on Saturday.

It's been quite a challenge selecting a best African XI for the 2010-2011 European season. It would have been much easier to play four or five up front (given the performances of some African strikers this year), but in a loose 4-3-1-2 formation here's my pick of the best for what's been an enthralling season.

Goalkeeper - Carlos Kameni (Espanyol/Cameroon):
The easiest choice of the lot. African keepers are in short supply in Europe's top leagues, with Richard Kingson - who had his ups and downs - only getting an extended run here in England after Blackpool's regular stopper was injured. Meanwhile, Kameni enjoyed a fine season with Espanyol, making a number of crucial saves which helped his team to their highest La Liga finish since his debut season with the club in 2004/2005.

Right Back - Sam Inkoom (Dnipro/Ghana):
If there's a better African right back out there, I'm not sure I've seen him. The Black Star left Swiss side Basel in January as the Ukraine's ambitious Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk forked out big money for the 21-year-old. Adept in defence, and with a love of marauding forward, the Under-20 World Cup winner should not be burying his talents under a Ukrainian bushel.

Centre Back - Mehdi Benatia (Udinese/Morocco):
Benatia, 24, has been a revelation in his first season in Italy since joining from the French second division. Fast and physical, he has become a pillar of defence as Udinese secured only the second Champions League qualification. Italian football followers don't give out labels like the 'Moroccan Maldini' cheaply - and Benatia's season has been so good he's being linked with Maldini's old club Milan, Real Madrid and Liverpool among others.

Centre Back - Karim Haggui (Hannover 96/Tunisia):
A whisker away from relegation last year, Hannover have had a miraculous season - finishing fourth to earn a Europa League spot. While Ivory Coast forward Didier Ya Konan ensured their attack was on fire, a much-improved defence has been crucial to their successful season. The Tunisian performed so well Hannover extended his contract mid-season to keep him at the club until 2014.

Left Back - Benoit Assou-Ekotto (Tottenham Hotspur/Cameroon):
This may come as a surprise to some, especially given Taye Taiwo's season with Marseille - one which so impressed Milan that they snaffled up the Nigerian. But would Milan have been so interested in the Super Eagle had they not picked him up on a free transfer? Either way, I've never been wholly convinced by Taiwo's game - which is why I'm plumping for the corn-rowed Cameroonian. A model of consistency with excellent passing, Assou-Ekotto was ever present in the group stages and knock-outs as Spurs stunned Inter and Milan to reach the Uefa Champions League quarter-finals.

Midfield - Andre 'Dede' Ayew (Marseille/Ghana):
Off the back of an impressive World Cup, Abedi Pele's son settled straight into action with the defending French champions - his energetic, all-action style endearing him to both fans and coach Didier Deschamps. The 21-year-old also added goals to his game, netting a personal best of 11 in a season where he tasted Champions League football for the first time. After being loaned out to Lorient and Arles-Avignon, this was Ayew's coming of age at Marseille - and once again, his performances attracted the attention of Europe's top clubs. Never gave up as Marseille were pipped to the title by champions Lille.

Midfield - Yaya Toure (Manchester City/Ivory Coast):
Kolo's younger brother arrived at Man City for big money and, it emerged, with an enormous wage packet. For a while, fans were wondering what all the fuss was about but as the season progressed, the Ivorian became ever more influential. Seen by many as a holding midfielder before he arrived, Yaya has impressed with not just his tackling and positional sense but also his box-to-box runs, eye for a pass and hidden-away finishing skills. With a different role, he scored more goals in a season with City than he did throughout his Barca career - with the most important saved for the FA Cup. Not content with seeing off treble-chasing United in the semi, he fired home a sweet match-winner against Stoke in the final. Despite his salary, I can't imagine his employers are complaining.

Midfield - Seydou Keita (Barcelona/Mali):
He may not be an automatic starter but Keita is the man Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola regularly turns to whenever Xavi or Andres Iniesta are out of action or when he needs to shore up a game late on. Although 19 of his 33 league appearances came off the bench, the versatile Malian is still a sub for a club side many respected critics are calling the greatest in history - and so to fit in seamlessly is testament to his talents. Despite lacking wow factor, Keita is an utterly reliable performer at Barcelona. Respected within the dressing room, the man who scored the goal that secured Barca's title won a second Champions League winners' medal last Saturday. Why on earth isn't he in Mali's squad?

Midfield/Striker - Gervinho (Lille/Ivory Coast):
A man with arguably the worst hairstyle in football (which would be some feat admittedly), the creative Gervinho has been key to Lille's surprise championship - their first since 1954. Having struggled to impose his undoubted creativity in years gone by, the 23-year-old has become more consistent this year - netting 15 goals and making 9 others. Often accused of individuality in the past, the Ivorian has become a very important piece to the Lille puzzle, alongside Yohann Cabaye, Eden Hazard and Moussa Sow. With great feet and a terrific workrate, a player long tipped for the top has started to back up the claims.

Striker - Papiss Demba Cisse (Freiburg/Senegal):
Choosing between Lille's Sow, the top scorer in France with 25 goals, and his Senegalese compatriot Cisse was no easy task. For Sow's goals lifted Lille to an historic league and cup double. However, I've opted for Cisse with the reasoning that it's easier to score lots of goals in a championship-winning side than it is for one used to battling relegation. This season, Freiburg achieved only their third top-half finish in Bundesliga history - and they surely wouldn't have achieved that without Cisse's 22 goals. He scored over half his side's league tally, which is why he has inched his way past Sow into this XI.

Striker - Samuel Eto'o (Inter Milan/Cameroon):
Doing it season upon season doesn't make Eto'o's goalscoring feats any less impressive. After being played out of position in his first season, he has been a more central figure this campaign - and responded by becoming the first African, by my reckoning, to ever score 20 league goals in an Italian season. How they helped in an Inter side shorn of last year's performances and consistency. Nonetheless, both Inter and Eto'o finished the season on a high, as his double helped win the Coppa Italia as the nerazzurri beat Palermo 3-1. A class apart, the Cameroonian is surely Africa's greatest ever footballer.

Subs: Moussa Sow (Lille/Senegal), Osaze Odemwingie (West Brom/Nigeria), Kevin-Prince Boateng (AC Milan/Ghana), Kwadwo Asamoah (Udinese/Ghana), Asamoah Gyan (Sunderland/Ghana).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/piersedwards/2011/06/african_xi.html

Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by Wizardofoz: 11:49am On Jun 04, 2011
Just exactly what you will expect from a deluded Ghanian.

Arrant nonsense!
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by Wizardofoz: 11:51am On Jun 04, 2011
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by scopusng(m): 11:55am On Jun 04, 2011
Moro.n, were is song?
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by linkin8k(m): 12:43pm On Jun 04, 2011
No Song? Choose ekotto over taiwo? Ghanains undecided
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by mystikal(m): 1:26pm On Jun 04, 2011
Drogba is still unplayable. Dont forget that.

Enyeama featured in the Euro Champs League, Kameni should be his deputy.

Find a place 4 Song, Samba on that list too
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by EngrDrBarrKezman: 1:29pm On Jun 04, 2011
Where is Yakubu Aiyegbeni?
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by Imohbyron(m): 1:43pm On Jun 04, 2011
A ghananian high on cheap drugs.
Assou ekotto ahead of taye taiwo,now thatz very lame.
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by BizBooks(m): 2:03pm On Jun 04, 2011
This writer must have something against Chelsea. He didn't deem it fit to include:

Drogba
Essien
Kalou
or
Mikel

I'm sure he included Seydou Keita because he plays for Barcelona. Let us not forget that Keita has seen his best days and has in fact announced his retirement from the Malian national team.
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by renewnaija(m): 2:34pm On Jun 04, 2011
An objective and fair analysis I'd say. I'm Nigerian and I agree with the list but for two exceptions:
Taiwo should be there instead of Ekoto. Ekoto is a good player but has been inconsistent for Tottenham ds season.
Song who should replace Keita but Keita should be on the bench.

Of course, no Chelsea player can make this squad based on their form this past season.

Glad Osaze is on the bench but aside Taiwo & him, no Nigerian should be in this team. Maybe next year undecided?
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by renewnaija(m): 2:42pm On Jun 04, 2011
And to those pointing fingers at the Ghanian, bet you are now embarrassed that it was an English BBC correspondent that came up with the list?

Dudes, stop throwing insults here & there. He even posted the link.
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 04, 2011
I think the list was way how biased.
The formation was ok at having three fowards who apparently was on fire last season. . But including Taiwo, Enyeama, Song, Odemwingie to replace A.ekotto, Kingston, Keita, Ayew respectively is imperative. .ask me why?
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 04, 2011
^ Wrong Sec bro
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by BizBooks(m): 6:14pm On Jun 04, 2011
El Guapo:

But including Taiwo, Enyeama, Song, Odemwingie to replace A.ekotto, Kingston, Keita, Ayew respectively is imperative. .ask me why?

Richard Kingson was mentioned in the article but not as a goal-keeper for the African XI.

Goalkeeper - Carlos Kameni (Espanyol/Cameroon):
The easiest choice of the lot. African keepers are in short supply in Europe's top leagues, with Richard Kingson - who had his ups and downs - only getting an extended run here in England after Blackpool's regular stopper was injured.
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by chelseabmw(m): 6:19pm On Jun 04, 2011
That list is a mess
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by anishe(m): 6:20pm On Jun 04, 2011
Where did u put Sunday Oliseh and Danny Shittu? What of SaniKaita?
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by otumfour(m): 7:38pm On Jun 04, 2011
These four fools need some serious attention. Real talk!
U can go to school from A-Z, but if your brains go dead like these 4 mentally derailed fools, u'z as hopeless as a mad man

Wizardofoz:

Just exactly what you will expect from a deluded Ghanian.

Arrant nonsense!

scopusng:

Moro.n, were is song?

linkin8k:

No Song? Choose ekotto over taiwo? Ghanains undecided

Imoh byron:

A ghananian high on cheap drugs.
Assou ekotto ahead of taye taiwo,now thatz very lame.

Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by otumfour(m): 7:41pm On Jun 04, 2011
renewnaija:

And to those pointing fingers at the Ghanian, bet you are now embarrassed that it was an English BBC correspondent that came up with the list?

Dudes, stop throwing insults here & there. He even posted the link.

Charlay! my brother, mind them not!
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by PetroDolla: 8:29pm On Jun 04, 2011
Otumfour, you haven’t realized hatred towards the Ghanaian runs deep in these species, huh? But who cares? We are blessed, brother.
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by cantab(m): 9:00pm On Jun 04, 2011
Folks, dont take d poster seriously, he is a huge joke, 1 small timer seeking 2 b noticed, IGNORAMUS .
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by Sagamite(m): 10:31pm On Jun 04, 2011
I would rather go with this 11:

Goalkeeper: Vincent Enyeama

Right Back: Sam Inkoom

Centre Back: Mehdi Benatia

Centre Back: Karim Haggui

Left Back: Taye Taiwo

Midfield: Alex Song

Midfield: Yaya Toure

Midfield: Kevin-Prince Boateng

Midfield: Andre 'Dede' Ayew

Forward: Papiss Demba Cisse

Forward: Samuel Eto'o
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by monatim: 10:33pm On Jun 04, 2011
PetroDolla:

Otumfour, you haven’t realized hatred towards the Ghanaian runs deep in these species, huh? But who cares? We are blessed, brother.

mmttcheew. i no blame you. Go to ghainaland and post dis
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by Gody2k: 12:34pm On Jun 05, 2011
Where are de nigerians, Mikel find ur way out of Ramires Nsofor is a flop in England Taiwo should be consistence Enyema find ur levels too.
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by vicenzo(m): 2:41pm On Jun 05, 2011
Sagamite:

I would rather go with this 11:

Goalkeeper: Vincent Enyeama

Right Back: Sam Inkoom

Centre Back: Mehdi Benatia

Centre Back: Karim Haggui

Left Back: Taye Taiwo

Midfield: Alex Song

Midfield: Yaya Toure

Midfield: Kevin-Prince Boateng

Midfield: Andre 'Dede' Ayew

Forward: Papiss Demba Cisse

Forward: Samuel Eto'o
Now,this is a better list.
Re: Africans In European Football: The Best Of 2010-2011? by emmke(m): 4:34pm On Jun 05, 2011
PetroDolla:

Hatred towards Ghanaians? Dude, what are you talking about? The average Nigerian on the street does not give a 'hut' about what happens in Ghana, believe me. Back to the topic. Mehn, this is one of the worst Africa eleven of all time. I mean Keita who cant even displace Busquet in the barca team, is there? Asou ekoto is there? Wth.

(1) (Reply)

Tennis: Andy Murray Defeats Djokovic In Dubai / Nations Cup Qualifier: Nigeria Vs. Lesotho / Messi Admits CR7 Is Better Than Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.