Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

Do You Believe In Destiny - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do You Believe In Destiny (5748 Views)

Press Release: Destiny Child Gospel Music Talent Hunt Season 3 / Can You Believe That This 3yrs Old Girl Is Growing Big Br*ast? [see Photo] / Is Destiny Predetermined? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 04, 2011
Destiny can also be closely linked to astrology or cosmology. Everychild enters into this world with a star and a role to play.Now destinies can be diverted through witchcraft,occultism or prognostication.That's why people consult astrologers to know what is in the offing. I do not support consulting these mediums,though they obtain sketchy views of the future.I believe through prayer,dreams and prophecy +work you achieve your destiny. Fate is the spouse of destiny that relates your action to the environment and creates a resulting flux that is proportional to your action and the influence of your star. Now Mr president is 1example, Chinua Achebe is another.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 04, 2011
Destiny can also be closely linked to astrology or cosmology. Everychild enters into this world with a star and a role to play.Now destinies can be diverted through witchcraft,occultism or prognostication.That's why people consult astrologers to know what is in the offing. I do not support consulting these mediums,though they obtain sketchy views of the future.I believe through prayer,dreams and prophecy +work you achieve your destiny. Fate is the spouse of destiny that relates your action to the environment and creates a resulting flux that is proportional to your action and the influence of your star. Now Mr president is 1example, Chinua Achebe is another.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by mallorca(m): 6:09pm On Jun 04, 2011
been in the right place at the right time is the key to wealth
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by suyaspice: 6:55pm On Jun 04, 2011
@cold, U be oyibo pepper? My destiny is to make suya or whatever sweeter. What is yours? Na to make sometin or whateva cold? O boy, freestyle O!
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by suyaspice: 7:07pm On Jun 04, 2011
and remember Ro:9:16: So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by 3kay945(m): 7:36pm On Jun 04, 2011
:PDestiny is also a result of sowing and reaping,, Either good or evil or both, thou shall reap them all., just my humble opinion.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by 3kay945(m): 7:58pm On Jun 04, 2011
Incarnation., is what i remember when i think of destiny, and that whatsoever man sow that shall he reap either here or there. i.e, thislife or next, even probably reaping what one have sown in previous lives. This is the only way i please myself when am asking questions why some are born into rich home where almost everything is available whereas some are born into stinky poverty.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by mubaraq1(m): 8:58pm On Jun 04, 2011
destiny!!1
as the word implies simply means the occurence of things in our personal life which was stated by us with God when we were coming to the world,
destiny,irrespective of prayer,hinderances,money or whta soever thing it is must surely come to pass,
all the proccesses made in trying to wave adestiny from happening, those process are also destiny, what ever the case may be be,i believe in destiny, cos the foot path just going to the direction of the hearth, and hearth is the rotor of the human, so destiny can never be changed bkos it has bn weitten and nuffin is gonna cahange that.
prof.TANIMOLA OLAJIDE ABEEB
UNILORIN
BSC ECONOMICS
A.K.A AIT ZOLAT
\2010 SETS[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by awiizzle: 9:41pm On Jun 04, 2011
pro01:

In all my years of philosophical reflection and debates, no subject has been more recurrent than the issue of destiny. And in all these years my view has remained resolute and unchanging: Yes I believe in destiny and yes, destiny determines EVERYTHING that happens in everyone's life - from the good to the bad, and from the consequential to the inconsequential. Even the so-called 'hardwork', intelligence, skill and knowledge that some argue as being determinants of one's success in life are all products of destiny if you consider it deeply. You may argue that since destiny determines everything, then why should anyone bother to try anything? Why not simply lie on your bed and wait for destiny to 'happen' to you? Well, there are only two answers to this: (1) We are all programmed to do something, anything - and the outcome of whatever we do is already predertermined. (2) If you feel so strongly that you have to wait for destiny to happen to you, then that in itself is your destiny - and the outcome of your 'wait' is also predetermined. In both cases the eventual outcome (whether envisaged or unenvisaged) is predetermined and totally out of your control. This may sound counterintuitive, but then it is not a simple argument that can be understood simply.

Indeed, you don't even have to believe in destiny for you to be subject to it. Destiny is something of a categorical imperative. It rules us all whether we like it or not.

However, like I earlier mentioned, this is not a simple argument. It is an extremely intricate argument that incorporates so many layers and abstract nuances that one cannot fully fathom. If I begin to break down some of these layers here, I'm sure I'd bore everyone to tears with the volume, complexity and abstract substance of the  resultant 'thesis'. In any case the best way to fully grasp the truth of destiny is to adopt a 'lateral thinking' approach.

To provide some insight into the complexity of this destiny argument, you may want to read the Wikipedia entry.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny  

Spot On!,
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Oluschenco(m): 10:04pm On Jun 04, 2011
Although there is destiny bt some forces manouvre it. Witches may turn a glorious child into a mentaly derailed person after birth.
It is left to evryone 2work hard & pray (be spiritual) so dat one wont be a spectator of others success.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by violent(m): 10:19pm On Jun 04, 2011
There's no destiny, there's being fúcking lucky to appear at birth in a wealthy/influential family----if you re not, life is tough on you!
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Natasha2(f): 10:44pm On Jun 04, 2011
I believe that when God created us He had plans for every single one of us the Bible makes it clear that Gods plans for us are nothing but good however it is how we live our lives that will determine if we will achieve what God has planed for us, it is very possible that your destiny will not be fulfilled due to the things you do ''as you lay your bed so shall you lie on it ''
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by 234GT(m): 11:25pm On Jun 04, 2011
Destiny, luck and co are all illusions.Do your best in life and make the best decisions and you will be the best.There are people you think have everything but those people are at the same time thinking that you are better that them. Therefore, never compare yourself with anyone.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Nija4Life(m): 11:28pm On Jun 04, 2011
Interesting debate about a subject that cannot be explained in very simple terms. Destiny does exist but the course of one's desitiny may be changed either by the things we can control or by those those that we can't. I learnt about the concept of[i] tabula rasa [/i] in my first year at Uni which explains the fact that humans are born with a mind that is an empty slate but we are shaped into our personalities by our environment which may include; family, friends, culture, school, religion, neighbourhood, genetics etc. However, as we make the transition from childhood into adulthood, we begin to make decisions and choices about our lives which can also determine our future and destinies. But how practical is it to measure how much of each of these influences contribute to our destinies? Impossible to measure if you ask me but but what is important as individuals is to take control and make informed decisions about the choices we make. Even God challenges us to take control of our destinies in the Bible (for those of us who are Christians) according to James 2:26, faith without good works is dead. If for example you say you want to be a doctor and all you do is sit at home, eat fish and chips, drink fizzy drink and twiddle your thumb, it ain't going to happen I'm afraid.

http://www.hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Nobody: 12:14am On Jun 05, 2011
I can't believe wat am reading on this thread!  shocked
A whole lot of people believe in this ting called 'destiny', yet with no proof. Am waiting to hear from homer.
How can it be?
Of course, it's always been an intense philosophical debate between proponents of free will and determinism, but it hasn't been said at any time that we have a conclusive argument. Rather most philosophers lean towards free will, cos they find a number of convincing reasons for support. First, the fact that your environment and genetic make-up have an outstanding influence on your life (career-wise, marriage-wise, etc!) immediately throws destiny out of the door. Come on! A child with dyslexia, or another suffering from schrizophernia, diseases which are mere consequences of birth, might have lesser chances of succeeding in life, right from the start. Yet, you champion destiny, when obviously others are getting a head start!
Nigerians are fond of promoting luck, chance encounters and fate. I have never come across a people so steep in these thoughts. Goodluck Jonathan, for one, is generally believed by Nigerians to have earned a lot from fate, simply because situations seem to point to this. Yet, Americans say far less of Lyndon Johnson, who lost a Democratic ticket, but still became President.
Am so stunned at the base thoughts expressed here. pro1, koolking, sirabeey, natasha (am not suprised, though!), etc.  shocked Man, you guys are demonstrating classic baseness of thought. . . .phew!
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Nobody: 2:00am On Jun 05, 2011
Well, l need to reiterate that this destiny issue is never going to be a simple argument. Some would argue that there is no such thing, while others would argue that destiny rules over all things. There is no point deriding either of the viewpoints as 'base' because, in my opinion, both viewpoints are true - depending on where you begin your analysis. However, if one is prepared to start one's analysis from the very foundations of the matter (which requires considerable lateral thinking and almost oracular introspection), one would find that it all begins with destiny and ends with destiny. This is the solemn truth.

Let me begin with a relatively simple counter-argument. Assuming that one insists that all it takes to succeed in life is intelligence, persistence, determination, focus, drive, hardwork, commitment, ingenuity, wisdom, decisiveness, strength (physical and/or mental), knowledge, and other such innate or acquired attributes, then it is possible to situate human behaviour and behavioural outcomes entirely within the confines of the Nature Vs Nurture debate (see for e.g. www.livescience.com/4168-nature-nurture-mysteries-individuality-unraveled.html). In other words, one's station in life can only be determined either by his or her nature (i.e. innate, inborn, inherent personality traits) or 'nurture' (i.e. environmental influences and personal experiences). I assume that those who do not believe in destiny essentially pin down their 'determinants of life outcomes' argument to either nature or nurture. In other words, if you would become a successful billionaire businessman in your lifetime, it is either because you naturally possess the required intelligence or traits such as ingenuity, perserverence, and hardwork (nature) OR because your personal experiences and environmental influences shaped you into a person who developed the required mental and physical resources that are needed to succeed (nurture). OR alternatively, a combination of nature and nurture effectively prepared you to become the successful billionaire businessman which you strive to become.

Now, to what extent can it be said that you deliberately chose your nature or nurture? In other words, at conception/birth, did you volitively choose to have a certain level of IQ or a certain kind of personality or certain kinds of traits that would facilitate your eventual achievement of business success? (nature) OR did you, from childhood all through adolescence and then young adulthood, have a say in determining the sort of environmental influences/personal experiences you would be exposed to? (nurture). If we all agree that in both cases, one's "freewill" had little to do with it, then to what extent does freewill guarantee eventual outcomes. This is just one strand of an infinitely complex argument.

Another strand has to do with the supposedly scientific construct of "Ceteris Paribus" or "all things being equal" (see www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceteris_paribus). It is rather curious that science purports to uphold the supposedly immutable dynamic of cause and effect; YET, it leaves allowance for the proviso of "all things being equal". Relating this concept to the present argument about destiny, the relevant point to note is this: if you are so sure that one's efforts, hardwork, intelligence, and determination (Cause) would invariably produce the outcome of a certain desired end such as wealth or personal success (Effect), then why is it necessary to allow for the proviso/caveat of "all things being equal"? Where/how does the "all things being equal" fit into the cause and effect dynamic? Assuming that it is not within the range of that dynamic, then what level of control does a certain self-confident Mr X have over determining that all things would or would not be equal in order for his cause to produce the desired effect. For instance, I'm assuming that the very gifted individual who is focused, determined and goal-oriented would be sure that he would definitely make it in life - as long as he doesn't die in an accident, get struck by a terminal illness, experience demobilizing personal misfortune, doesn't get stuck in any kind of rot (the absence of all these would mean that "all things are equal" ). Now, my fundamental question is this: if this wonderful, self-confident, gifted, focused, hardworking, determined and goal-oriented individual believes that his or her destiny (e.g. to become wealthy and successful) is in their own hands, and YET is not so sure that s/he has the power to single-handedly ensure that 'all things would be equal', then to what extent is his destiny in his own hands? ? ?

The argument doesn't end there. It would take volumes to examine the different layers, nuances and intricacies that underpin the issue of destiny. It can never be a simplistic argument; those who believe that there is no such thing as destiny would do well to stick to their belief. For those who believe, no explanation is really necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation would suffice. That's the way it goes. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, destiny does not rely on one's belief or the lack of it. It's inevitability is an absolute, categorical imperative.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by deotelan(m): 8:07am On Jun 05, 2011
Just as God's word says that only a fool says there's no God likewise only same would say there's no Destiny or Predestination as the Bible calls it but mind u one thing remains certain and that's our choices &decisions in life could either mar or make us fulfilled in life. God has given us "free will" in life which is our "power point" which could render the Greatest programme of God to nut or life, Even with all the Destiny or not issue, do u know that God could even make evil happen to some just for us to learn Yes and thats the reason he brought them to life, yes! And yet to others that were predestined for evil also turned around like Jabez to become Glorious just because of a CHOICE he made yes! I tell u brethren our Greatest gift in life is "FREE WILL" to either make the right choices or not as they present themselves to us daily towardz the actualization of our predestination in life. Even some choices come our way in order to 'TEST' us whether we'll be fit to live up to our Destiny in life and whatevr point we fail ends it there abruptly thats why we also need Gods help to fulfill them cuz he's the All knowing God who does as he pleases with Man, All Glory be to him forever Amen!
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Omo0ba(m): 8:17am On Jun 05, 2011
Destiny or fate exists but not as generally belief as a sequence of events that is inevitable and unchangeable in the affairs of man. God or the Unseen Power is indeed the Giver of the entire creation which includes man and his entire being. The Creator is not a magician rather a strict adherent of rules and regulations that governs existence being the element of all that can be seen and the unseen in creation. Destiny is simply the product of effective usage of man’s brain articulately in preparation for the unknown future awaiting yet determined opportunity. This is what is generally called LUCK or being LUCKY which the resultant of PREPARATION and OPPORTUNITY is DESTINY. What man does with what he is endowed with determines what he gets at the end and where he found himself. The Holy Books says He made man in His own image and also want man been as He is. Therefore, man need to form mental picture (imagination) and create that which he so desires in life. The manifestation of creation awaits sons of God. Simply my opinion!!!!
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Tingles(m): 12:34pm On Jun 05, 2011
"What will be will be, and if it is to be, it is up to you"

We have little or no influence on environmental variables. Although we're inclined to think in the line of causes and effects, whatever choices we make isn't ours.

While some people are restricted to choosing from potentially successful alternatives, some are restricted from it.

Ecclesiastes 6:10 says "Whatever exists has already been named, and what man is has been known; no man can contend with one who is stronger than he"
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by infofta(m): 8:45pm On Jun 05, 2011
Luck is a key factor. Some people are more lucky than others. You may call it destiny. If you think I am lying, ask Mr president.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by joeybankz: 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2016
Sunday Message - Encounter With Destiny
On this edition of Sunday message, we will briefly look at Encounter With Destiny, a topic that stresses on the destiny of the people of God, this edition of Sunday message promises to be an interesting read.
http://www.prestnaija.com/sunday-message-encounter-destiny/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Girls Are Fat And Ugly / Shocking! Photo Of Man With Full Breast / 3 Words That Describe You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.