Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,174 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:30 AM

Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market (42301 Views)

Cars On The Street - A Lagos Car Street Photography Album | LensAndLagos / 4 Friends Killed In Ikotun Lagos Car Accident While Coming From Night Club[photo / Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Henix(m): 11:30am On Jul 18, 2012
[quote author=Emperoh]

Q3. = This depends on the agent you use. I suggest Femy2010 but please do your due diligence on him and agree a commission with him instead of having him give u a lump price. This way, you are in control of what is being spent and what is going to who. If you can, go with him all through the way if you have the time. The process is; you pick your vehicle at Cotonou, you for the car and the union fees there, pull it to Seme. At Seme, the car goes to the export vehicle Seat of Cotonou gendarme. You clear with the Cotonou end and then it's take to the Nigerian end of Seme. It is at this point that flying starts. But legally, it's to be driven to the Nigerian Customs vehicle seat at Seme border from where all the duties are paid. Once you have done the legal thing, drive your car home with peace of mind.

@Emperoh
I have been seeking for recommendation on contonou auto agents. Pls why did u recommend femmy2010? Have you purchased a vehicle through him before or do u know any 1 who has done business with him before and he delivered on his promises?
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Henix(m): 11:34am On Jul 18, 2012
[quote author=Emperoh]

Q3. = This depends on the agent you use. I suggest Femy2010 but please do your due diligence on him and agree a commission with him instead of having him give u a lump price. This way, you are in control of what is being spent and what is going to who. If you can, go with him all through the way if you have the time. The process is; you pick your vehicle at Cotonou, you for the car and the union fees there, pull it to Seme. At Seme, the car goes to the export vehicle Seat of Cotonou gendarme. You clear with the Cotonou end and then it's take to the Nigerian end of Seme. It is at this point that flying starts. But legally, it's to be driven to the Nigerian Customs vehicle seat at Seme border from where all the duties are paid. Once you have done the legal thing, drive your car home with peace of mind.

@Emperoh
I have been seeking for recommendation on contonou auto agents. Pls why did u recommend femmy2010? Have you purchased a vehicle through him before or do u know any 1 who has done business with him before and he delivered on his promises?
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Emperoh(m): 12:55pm On Jul 18, 2012
Henix: @Emperoh

My brother, i haven't given Femy2010 any business but he is one person who through my interactions with him,
have shown a comfortable level of professionalism and honesty. The few times we have had close to businesses, he's always been open and straight forwards.
I haven't used him cos i have not had a reason to do the Cotonou route. He has also been a prominent feature in the auto section of this forum and contributed to discussions.

While i can recommend him, i will ask you to go a step further to do do your due diligence on him
before parting with your hard earned money. Assure yourself first before commissioning him. But be sure you can go with him
to Cotonou to make your choice.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by alanbolo(m): 9:45pm On Jul 24, 2012
@ Emperoh, Nice write ups.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Emperoh(m): 11:16pm On Jul 24, 2012
alanbolo: @ Emperoh, Nice write ups.

thanks man!
visit my blog for more

www.bluechemautos.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by CHIMSKY(m): 6:17pm On Aug 11, 2012
Mr Mandilas: Most buy from Togo. It is more cheaper there. Even Cotonou come to buy from Togo port. Try and see.
It is amazing the way Nigerians hype other peoples investments and ensure capital flight.I thought Nigeria had ports at Lagos,Warri,Port Harcourt, Calabar,Koko.How come most of us troop to Cotonou to go buy cars.Why cant these vehicles land at our own ports?Do you know how many dollars we pour into the Beninois economy everyday?I may be wrong that I have this sinking feeling that if Nigeria begins to impory its cars yhrough its own ports,the Beninois Economy will catch a very bad cold.

1 Like

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by femmy2010(m): 7:10pm On Aug 11, 2012
CHIMSKY:
It is amazing the way Nigerians hype other peoples investments and ensure capital flight.I thought Nigeria had ports at Lagos,Warri,Port Harcourt, Calabar,Koko.How come most of us troop to Cotonou to go buy cars.Why cant these vehicles land at our own ports?Do you know how many dollars we pour into the Beninois economy everyday?I may be wrong that I have this sinking feeling that if Nigeria begins to impory its cars yhrough its own ports,the Beninois Economy will catch a very bad cold.

I support your point but more cars would continually be smuggled in when Nigerians are asked to pay up to N3m(yes,clearing cost alone) to clear a salvage 2012 Highlander at the Lagos port when it can be cleared from Cotonou and brought in via the back door for less than N800k.
Our Government needs to cut down their killer tariff to encourage more buying from Nigeria and shipping to Nigeria.

TO BUY cheap vehicles from the USA call 08036363467 or send an email to info@dudzmobility.com or visit www.dudzmobility.com

1 Like

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by saintjoel(m): 4:19am On Sep 15, 2013
ISSUES WHICH MAY AFFECT YOU WHEN YOU BUY FROM COTONOU.

1.GREED- This comes into play when a customer wants a next to free car in a place where nothing comes for free,the I need a camry 2001 model for 650K types.

These are the people agents love luring into Cotonou so that they can they can be exploited.All they need to hear is that they can get a 2007 model for 300,000naira in cotonou and they rush into the market ony to discover they've been tricked into showing up.

Note the pix shown below,it shows a line in a park called FIFA,just a line out of 5-6 lines in this particular park filled with numerous car dealers in their little offices and we have almost 6-8 parks in cotonou,all you need to do is walk in and bargain also note the bikes,they're used as transport within the parks cos they're so large,if any agent tells you he knows a last price it's a lie cos how can someone know the mind of every car dealer in cotonou,all he can know fropm experience is the asking price and even if customer A buys for 800K,800K won't be applicable to Mr B cos bargaining power isn't the same.

2.RESEARCH- Like we've always stated always know what you want,how to get it and how much you can get it.

When you want to buy a car,make sure you make checks about the cars you need,Nairaland is a very good example of a site where you can get info on prices and car performances. We even have cases where customers pay transport fare for agents to check car prices for them in cotonou and even send money for deposits just because they know what they want,not the "I want to know the VIN history or low mileage types",we're talking about people who know what a good car is all about.
It's not always about bringing cash along on your first day,we even have cases where customers widow-shop for a day or two before buying a car in cotonou and pay for the services of their agent to check cars with them. You need to look beyond VIN reports and mileages,if the cars were so perfect,the previous owner who used them abroad will not sell them,that's why you're permitted to bring a mechanic and also test drive the cars. Make research on how to check used cars etc.

3. SINCERITY- This is when you as a potential customer lie to your agent that you can get a car for an amount you know you can't get it in Lagos,all your agent needs to do if he's the fraudulent type is also agree with you and start telling you stories you aso want to hear. He/She is confident that once you come and you become stuck,more cash will roll in. Always be sincere with your agent,if possible let him know your budget and listen to his advice cos he/she has experience. Although you need to be cautious but at least believe your agent to a certain level when he/she tells you what you can obtain in the market.

4. SMUGGLING- When you/agent decides to go into smuggling,it degrades your car's value.
Why pay money to someone who'll drive your car along bush parts when you can easily pay your custom duty and drive out of the border with ease even without your agent driving your car. Don't always believe any agent who tells you customers aren't permitted to drive from the border,as long as you have your papers with you,you as the customer can drive from the border,so if your agent suddenly tells you it's going to take weeks before he/she delivers your car,then you definitely know it's been smuggled. When you pay 100K to smuggle your car across the border when you can pay custom duty for the same car,a lot of questions ought to be asked.

The summary of all these is that the onus falls on you as the customer when you're planning to purchase a car from cotonou.

https://www.nairaland.com/1245239/cheaper-cars-available-cotonou

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Osholu: 4:11am On Jul 02, 2014
ikachi1:

Can't you guys see the name? The guy is high on something.
That was the first thing I thought when I saw his/her name
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Osholu: 4:18am On Jul 02, 2014
I know a few people who would rather go to cotonou than buy here.Personally I think one has to ask a lot of questions before going.also try to do most things by yourself rather than entrusting all to an agent..Agents are agents everywhere.They are only there for their pockets and the only way to achieve that is by making life difficult for customers...If you have a friend who knows the ropes and is willing,I wld suggest you go with him to cotonou.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by jbhworldwide: 6:00pm On Jul 15, 2014
who do you use to export the vehicles out of new york?
Freddieyankee: Well I would love to chip in... Before I traveled to the state I use to help people buy cars from Cotonou and I can say it much more better to buy in Cotonou than Berger cuz dealers from Berger also buys from Cotonou,take it back to Lagos to sell for higher price.
By the grace of God I am now in NYC and I av my own dealer license from 3 different car auctions companies and this helps me get better cars in term of quality and price....
If you av any questions abt buying cars in the states please let me know...... Only serious minded people please.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Kashif(m): 11:44pm On Jul 19, 2014
90% of cars from Cotonou have their odometer rolled back! Those Lebanese are rogues!! angry angry angry sad
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by saintjoel(m): 9:43am On Jul 20, 2014
Kashif: 90% of cars from Cotonou have their odometer rolled back! Those Lebanese are rogues!! angry angry angry sad

it's a bloody and ridiculous lie,ive been doing business in cotonou for years and I've never seen a car with rolled back mileage unless a Nigerian is involved,in a place where more than half of the cars have their mileages pasted on the windshields.

What will you say about 99 cars in lagos with 75k mileage,if you've had a bad experience in cotonou,let's know but please don't generalize everything.

This is a simple way of calculating mileages when next you're about to buy a car.

For cars,use 15,000k mileage per year and use 25,000k per year for jeeps.

If you're buying a car manufactured in 1999,all you need to do is subtract 1999 from 2014,you'll get 15,now multiply 15 by 15,000k mileage per year,it will give you 225,000 mileage and that will give you a fair idea of the mileage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Kashif(m): 4:51pm On Jul 20, 2014
saintjoel:
it's a bloody and ridiculous lie,ive been doing business in cotonou for years and I've never seen a car with rolled back mileage unless a Nigerian is involved,in a place where more than half of the cars have their mileages pasted on the windshields.
What will you say about 99 cars in lagos with 75k mileage,if you've had a bad experience in cotonou,let's know but please don't generalize everything.
This is a simple way of calculating mileages when next you're about to buy a car.
For cars,use 15,000k mileage per year and use 25,000k per year for jeeps.
If you're buying a car manufactured in 1999,all you need to do is subtract 1999 from 2014,you'll get 15,now multiply 15 by 15,000k mileage per year,it will give you 225,000 mileage and that will give you a fair idea of the mileage.

My good friend, you needed to learn from my experience too. Being an agent does not immune you from this scam. When I say 90%, I mean every word of it!

I spent some time in Cotonou recently search for vehicles with strict specs, and what I saw was shocking! Most of the cars there do not have their odometer reading pasted. Those who do don't paste the actual. What is pasted is what the vehicle has at the moment. I started suspecting after I discovered the service record of one of the vehicles in the glove compartment. As at the last service, the odometer reading was higher by 35,000 miles, than what the car was having. With that, we went back to the Lebanese, and for a few seconds, had no defence. Then he explained that the record we saw was in KM, while the car is calibrated Miles! Can you believe that?! KM recorded is US?

At another stand, while haggling price, the white man, in trying to prove his car came from USA (we were suspecting it came from Canada) brought out the shipping papers. Lo and behold, that one too, was rolled back! When he discovered his blunder, he became aggressive and told us his price was fixed. It was take it or leave it! He was trying to prove his car was manufactured in Canada, but used in and shipped from US. We all know the issue with Canadian cars - rust!

From then, we would always ask for the title certificate, which would always have the info we needed. To my rude shock, and dismay of our agent, none was clean! Some 'smart' ones will tell you it was still with the shipping agent. I have got cars from Cotonou before, but its a different story now. One of the cars we bought was brought in eventually with the title certificate, and we discovered that the odometer was rolled back! We were very exhausted by the time we saw the car so, guards were down.

Nigerians roll back odometers, but the Lebanese have caught up. If you say we thought them, you may not be wrong. I saw a Nigerian dealer asking his friend in Igbo 'kedu onye odometer ahu?' - Where is that odometer man? If out of about 11 cars checked, only one was clean, what is the statistics? I must say though, that the cars checked were seven years and older.

My message is if you are going to Cotonou, thinking you are buying a car as is, think again!!! Users and agents beware. Always look or ask for service record and/or title certificate. Peace!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by erico2k2(m): 7:05pm On Jul 20, 2014
Stick to LAGOS cleared vehicles.Simple
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Kashif(m): 11:15am On Jul 21, 2014
erico2k2: Stick to LAGOS cleared vehicles.Simple

Same applies!

1 Like

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by erico2k2(m): 11:54am On Jul 22, 2014
Kashif:

Same applies!
Jow do you mean same applies?
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by baylord77(m): 10:16pm On Dec 02, 2014
I think Lagos is better but one need not forget the importance of the VIN which will give details of the car before purchase.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by saintjoel(m): 5:40am On Dec 03, 2014
Kashif:

My good friend, you needed to learn from my experience too. Being an agent does not immune you from this scam. When I say 90%, I mean every word of it!

I spent some time in Cotonou recently search for vehicles with strict specs, and what I saw was shocking! Most of the cars there do not have their odometer reading pasted. Those who do don't paste the actual. What is pasted is what the vehicle has at the moment. I started suspecting after I discovered the service record of one of the vehicles in the glove compartment. As at the last service, the odometer reading was higher by 35,000 miles, than what the car was having. With that, we went back to the Lebanese, and for a few seconds, had no defence. Then he explained that the record we saw was in KM, while the car is calibrated Miles! Can you believe that?! KM recorded is US?

At another stand, while haggling price, the white man, in trying to prove his car came from USA (we were suspecting it came from Canada) brought out the shipping papers. Lo and behold, that one too, was rolled back! When he discovered his blunder, he became aggressive and told us his price was fixed. It was take it or leave it! He was trying to prove his car was manufactured in Canada, but used in and shipped from US. We all know the issue with Canadian cars - rust!

From then, we would always ask for the title certificate, which would always have the info we needed. To my rude shock, and dismay of our agent, none was clean! Some 'smart' ones will tell you it was still with the shipping agent. I have got cars from Cotonou before, but its a different story now. One of the cars we bought was brought in eventually with the title certificate, and we discovered that the odometer was rolled back! We were very exhausted by the time we saw the car so, guards were down.

Nigerians roll back odometers, but the Lebanese have caught up. If you say we thought them, you may not be wrong. I saw a Nigerian dealer asking his friend in Igbo 'kedu onye odometer ahu?' - Where is that odometer man? If out of about 11 cars checked, only one was clean, what is the statistics? I must say though, that the cars checked were seven years and older.

My message is if you are going to Cotonou, thinking you are buying a car as is, think again!!! Users and agents beware. Always look or ask for service record and/or title certificate. Peace!

Sir,I'll still maintain my stand that if you've gone into Cotonou with a scammer,it's all your fault and your cup of tea.Many customers will go into Cotonou hoping to buy grade one vehicles worth 2M+ for 1M naira,what do you expect to get/where do you expect them to take you to.In a market spanning over 1,000 hectares with 9 parks filled with at least 120-150 car dealers per park,do you want to tell us that 90% of them are dubious,if you maintain that,I still stand to correct your error.

There's more to the stories you've been telling us cos you've not shown us the vehicle in question,even the VIN hasn't been posted and why ask for a title cert. When you can copy the VIN off the windscreen even without the dealer's knowledge.move few yards away to run the check and if you're not comfortable with the report,you move to another stand.There are some vehicles posted below,do you want to tell me that they don't have titles and what's your interpretation of title cos there are some impacts that don't affect the chasis or engine,or do you expect me to buy a brand new car and suddenly sell it off if I'm not having one or two issues with it,even right there in Lagos,there are so many accidented cars lying around with worse histories than vehicles in Cotonou.

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by saintjoel(m): 5:42am On Dec 03, 2014
baylord77:
I think Lagos is better but one need not forget the importance of the VIN which will give details of the car before purchase.

Kindly state your reasons,thanks.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Issyman(m): 6:08am On Dec 03, 2014
saintjoel:

Kindly state your reasons,thanks.

From my little experience of cotonou,i think I will still prefer there to lagos if you have a sincere agent like saintjoel. He got a car for me last year which the odometer checks out with the VIN report I got myself on nairaland here. The car came out clean with no title and accidented issues. I think the most important thing is a sincere dealer in lagos or a sincere agent in cotonou.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by saintjoel(m): 6:58am On Dec 03, 2014
Issyman:

From my little experience of cotonou,i think I will still prefer there to lagos if you have a sincere agent like saintjoel. He got a car for me last year which the odometer checks out with the VIN report I got myself on nairaland here. The car came out clean with no title and accidented issues. I think the most important thing is a sincere dealer in lagos or a sincere agent in cotonou.

Thanks for the vote of confidence sir.

1 Like

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by passmeno: 10:56am On Jun 04, 2015
Priestess:
@Femmy2010
Are you saying that most sellers at Berger buy from cotonou??
Any Lagos based sellers in the house lets hear what you have to say
@ larryshow4
Are you saying that berger has limted options for one to choose or am i getting you wrong?
I think we need comments from both berger sellers and others outside berger.

I live along Badagry area n i tell u dat all used cars comes 4rm Cotonou and it far beta in price n quality. I ave a friend who has bin in d business for ova 17 years nw. He helped my dad, wen he wantd 2 buy his car n stil take care of ova stuff 4 us like Rice etc. I can give u his number.
lagos dealers buy from cotonou not just that but the come to cotonou wof and buy accident car at cheap rate jut because such are not sold in cotonou park, all you guys need is the truth, I have work for importer over three years before I left to be delivering cars call me if you need help 08063433149
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by afeez20(m): 5:14am On Jun 19, 2015
please can you give details of how to DUTY your vehicle by yourself and the amount it's gonna cost
for we that've got time to spare.what should we guide against while going for the DUTY?
Emperoh:

I think someone has already answered your questions.
Be that as it may, i will chip in that you decide whether to clear the car yourself or through a licensed agent.
If you have the time, no wahala but if you don't, please engage the services of an agent.

But please, never try to drive the car down until you are sure your complete duty has been paid.
Good luck in you purchase.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by saintjoel(m): 7:56am On Jun 19, 2015
afeez20:
please can you give details of how to DUTY your vehicle by yourself and the amount it's gonna cost
for we that've got time to spare.what should we guide against while going for the DUTY?

YOU CANT PAY CUSTOM DUTY YOURSELF UNLESS YOU ARE A LICENSED AGENT AND IT ALREADY SHOWS YOU DONT THE REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE COS ANU AGENT ALREADY KNOWS ABOUT WHAT VEHICLES PAY AT THE BORDER OR PORT,DOLLAR VALUE CALCULATION,COLLECTING OF VALUES ETC,EVEN IF YOU WANT TO PAY YOURSELF,WHICH AGENCY WILL YOU USE TO RUN THE JOB?
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by princetom1(m): 8:30am On Dec 14, 2015
hardey11:
My brothers and Sisters the bottomline is we must learn to support our own.By buying from your own people in your own place you stand a chance to gain more in all we do from pure water to Aircraft and all in between. When you cart away your hard earn money to trade with foreigners how will your unemployed brother, friend or sister get a job. Growing up in the U.S. I learn key fact, that the best business is local....Cotonue or even any other country will not contribute a ding directly or indirectly to your lifeblood but that business Man in berger will surely turn around N buy something too from a relative or another business like your. Case in point Sport is a Multi Billion Dollar Industry that have a great ripple effect on any local Economy but of what benefit or job creation Man U or Arsenal been to our local economy instead of us supporting N buying the likes of Eyinba or our Basketball Club Jersey that will lessen the unemployment situation...so my people lets think Globally N act Locally. Thanks
I will start patronizing local when its not at my detriment. Gosh! These guys are ready to dupe u, most aren't there for business but to tell lies just to make money and u want us to support that?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peugeot 504 Price In 1975 Vs Price Of Bread In 2024 / Keke Operator Installs Seat Belt In His Tricycle (Photos) / The Slowest Cars In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.