Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,495 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria (5358 Views)

10 Unbelievable But True Facts About Nigeria. / 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria / 5 Good Things And Bad Things About Nigerian People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by JomoGbomo2(m): 11:06pm On Jun 06, 2011
I am to give a presentation (topic: Good things about Nigeria) to some folks here in the UK about Nigeria and after writing down weather as my no.1 I just can't figure out anything else.

No Nigerian is among my audience but couple of them have worked in Lagos, ph and warri infact on of them gave a presentation about the bad of Nigeria. They are all aware of all the emails scams, corruption, kidnapping, religious/ethnic wahalas, infect the last presentation on Nigeria was on dead bodies on the street on port harcourt.

So I am kind of short of ideas on what to preach to these guys.

Expecting your suggestions, thanks
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by tpia5: 1:34am On Jun 07, 2011
Nothing comes to mind, actually.
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by lepasharon(f): 4:17am On Jun 07, 2011
very diverse range of tribes and languages?
signifant exporter of oil?
nollywood lol
most populous black nation? lol grin i dnt knw if thats good
upcoming afro hiphop,we the giants of africa,we represent afriica
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by oludashmi(f): 11:11am On Jun 07, 2011
Honestly. . .I have been thinking of what to say. Will come back.
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by paraphase(m): 11:13am On Jun 07, 2011
embarassed
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by aribisala0(m): 11:14am On Jun 07, 2011
depends on who your audience are.
e.g. investors,tourists,students,artistes,pilgrims etc have different interests and your pitch should reflect that
the nigerian people are probably the best thing about nigeria. of course we have more than a fair share of scoundrels but since you MUST be positive talk about energy,determination and the will to beat out peculiar set of odds.
we never give up .
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by Ofido(m): 11:16am On Jun 07, 2011
Nigeria jst concluded the most free and fair election in the whole of africa.

Fastest growing film and music industry
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by sonofLAW(m): 11:20am On Jun 07, 2011
I did one similar last year in the UK and later turned it to a video, here is the link on youtube. I dont have the slides anymore unfortunatly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pI_FQDbVR0

Hope it helps
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by BabaO2: 11:23am On Jun 07, 2011
ogbeni, turn the negatives said against nigeria to positive.
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 07, 2011
its people, funny, patient, hardworking, resilient, ubiquitous grin
its land very viable for agriculture, its culture rich and diverse

i'll think up more
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by shabbie(m): 11:26am On Jun 07, 2011
Nigeria is the 12th largest producer of petroleum in the world and the 8th largest exporter, and has the 10th largest proven reserves
Nigeria also has a wide array of underexploited mineral resources which include natural gas, coal, bauxite, tantalite, gold, tin, iron ore, limestone, niobium, lead and zinc
Nigeria was the world's largest exporter of groundnuts, cocoa, and palm oil and a significant producer of coconuts, citrus fruits, maize, pearl millet, cassava, yams and sugar cane. About 60% of Nigerians work in the agricultural sector, and Nigeria has vast areas of underutilized arable land.
Nigeria has more than 250 ethnic groups, with varying languages and customs, creating a country of rich ethnic diversity
Nigeria has the second largest newspaper market in Africa (after Egypt) with an estimated circulation of several million copies daily in 2003.
Wole Soyinka, the first African Nobel Laureate in Literature
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie,
T.B. Joshua's Emmanuel TV, originating from Nigeria, is also one of the most viewed television stations across Africa grin
Won the gold medal for football in the 1996 Summer Olympics (in which they beat Argentina).

Places of interest , I don try for you.
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by lacuzy31: 11:33am On Jun 07, 2011
@op: nigerians are happy people on earth, we are the most accomodating people in the world, no natural disasters, no matter what we are united, we have the best culturalk heritage in d world, we have the best peace troop in the world and the best land army we (army)have a clean sheeeet of not raping women during war, most populous country in d world.

hope this will help may God help u
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by Ghadafy(m): 11:35am On Jun 07, 2011
The richest black man in d world is from Nigeria, Dangote. The fifth largest country that supply fuel to the USA. The most populous black nation in d world?
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by buzugee(m): 11:39am On Jun 07, 2011
has produced a host of world celebs
seal
sade adu
shirley bassey
akkninuoye agbaje
chiewetel ejiofor
philip emeagwali
akeem olajuwon
john fashanu
chinua achebe
fela
dizzie rascal
wale
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by chamber2(m): 11:39am On Jun 07, 2011
Rich culture
geography
Food
Climate
Democracy
Population
Freedom of Information, anti-terrorism and money laundering bills to curb crime
Nigerian role in peace advancement in Africa
Reforms in banking sector
Entertainment, football and other games
Highest number of universities (i think so) in Africa with world class researchers grin
Hardworking, resilient and religious people grin
ethnic tolerance
Regard and respect for elders
Peaceful, aside minor tribal disturbances
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by nawfia(m): 11:40am On Jun 07, 2011
rubbish post, @poster, u r a very big eediot(no offense, but it true) that at ur age and supposed education background, u don't know what to say to convince some folks that ur country is good, pray, which country doesn't have a bad side, open ur bleeding mouth and tell them about boko haram,massob,etc(since dats all u obviously know), nonsense, don't even know why this baseless post made it to the front page, guess its d moderator's fault
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by MMM2(m): 11:41am On Jun 07, 2011
police is ur friend
and
bail-ing is free.
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by oludashmi(f): 11:44am On Jun 07, 2011
Nigerians are the happiest pple on earth (http://thehappinessshow.com/HappiestCountries.htm)
The most populous in Africa with about 250 ethnic groups (Although I disagree with the ethnic number cos most of them are dialects not languages)
The entertainment industry
The pple never give up. . .always adapting to situations
Hardworking and smart working pple (first to rise, last to go to bed)
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by aribisala0(m): 11:50am On Jun 07, 2011
i am not sure i will brag about dangote.his achievement are great and unprecedented but they are personal.
i don't see russians boasting about ramonu ibrahim  cheesy

i am more interested in the collective achievements of ordinary nigerians.
that is what makes countries great.
their teachers,police,doctors,nurses ,engineers community groups etc  
how do they respond in times of disaster
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by aribisala0(m): 11:53am On Jun 07, 2011
people r very quick to say ediot.
another positive about nigeria cheesy
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by chamber2(m): 11:54am On Jun 07, 2011

people r very quick to say ediot.
another positive about nigeria

There you go again shocked
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:26pm On Jun 07, 2011
buzugee:

seal
sade adu
shirley bassey
akkninuoye agbaje
chiewetel ejiofor
philip emeagwali
akeem olajuwon
john fashanu
chinua achebe
fela
dizzie rascal
wale

^^^@ bolded: i thought his Dad was Ghanaian?

@ topic: LOL grin, funny you're racking your brain trying to come up with positives about Nigeria.

I'll give you a tip: try approaching the task from an ethnic point of view, and you're certain to make a surprising/fast headway. Alternatively, ask the tribal champions on Nairaland to help you out, and where you see 'Igbo; Yoruba; Hausa/Fulani; etc', just substitute Nigeria for any of them. wink
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by LongOne1(m): 12:28pm On Jun 07, 2011
We are a resilient people, as shown through our history. Despite all the problems we have faced and our differences, we still believe things will get better and are still together as ONE nation.

We are a happy people, from the hawkers dodging traffic in the streets of Lagos to our politicians, you do not hear of suicides when compared to the western world. We also value family, and so are often never ‘alone’ and devoid of human contact.

Hope this helps  grin
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by playboy19(m): 12:32pm On Jun 07, 2011
chamber2:

Rich culture
geography
Food
Climate
Democracy
Population
Freedom of Information, anti-terrorism and money laundering bills to curb crime
Nigerian role in peace advancement in Africa
Reforms in banking sector
Entertainment, football and other games
Highest number of universities (i think so) in Africa with world class researchers grin
Hardworking, resilient and religious people grin
ethnic tolerance
Regard and respect for elders
Peaceful, aside minor tribal disturbances  

Best post of this thread so far,

As much as we don't like OBJ in Nigeria, i guess the international community regard him as one of the most successful and accomplished politician in Africa who return Nigeria to a democratic state (the same accolade given to Mandela),  that might score/make you loose some point (so think about it before you write it)lol
Use it at your own risk
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by mallorca(m): 12:32pm On Jun 07, 2011
there is nothing good about Nigeria for now
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by stmarc32(m): 12:33pm On Jun 07, 2011
Rich culture and history, language , clothes, festivals, art , food, music and remind them we gave Malcom X Omowale when he came lol e.t.c

Guy are u sure ur a nigerian and not just some novacastrian
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by playboy19(m): 12:36pm On Jun 07, 2011
Oh, remind them of the love we have towards the country despite the hatred shown to us by the same country.
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by Ericology(m): 12:37pm On Jun 07, 2011
oludashmi:

Nigerians are the happiest pple on earth (http://thehappinessshow.com/HappiestCountries.htm)
The most populous in Africa with about 250 ethnic groups (Although I disagree with the ethnic number cos most of them are dialects not languages)
The entertainment industry
The pple never give up. . .always adapting to situations
Hardworking and smart working pple (first to rise, last to go to bed)

Eg Igbo, Ikwerre, Ika, Ukwuani, Ekpeye, Ndoni, Anioma, etc, looooooooool,,  there s noting ethnic here, just like someone from Stuttgart speaking different dialect of German from a hamburger, Munchener etc
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by shagaman: 1:15pm On Jun 07, 2011
seal
sade adu
shirley bassey
akkninuoye agbaje
chiewetel ejiofor
philip emeagwali
akeem olajuwon
john fashanu
chinua achebe
fela
dizzie rascal
wale

U forgot to add Daddy OBJ
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 07, 2011
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by otokx(m): 1:32pm On Jun 07, 2011
Our weather is really very beautiful and all year round too.
Re: Pls Help, Remind Me Of The Good Things About Nigeria by buzugee(m): 1:36pm On Jun 07, 2011
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^@ bolded: i thought his Dad was Ghanaian?

@ topic: LOL grin, funny you're racking your brain trying to come up with positives about Nigeria.

I'll give you a tip: try approaching the task from an ethnic point of view, and you're certain to make a surprising/fast headway. Alternatively, ask the tribal champions on Nairaland to help you out, and where you see 'Igbo; Yoruba; Hausa/Fulani; etc', just substitute Nigeria for any of them. wink
half ghanaian and half naija wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

*~ Ifyalways Voted The Culture Section Poster Of The Year *~ Congratulations!!! / Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? / When Jesus Spoke Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.