Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,229 members, 7,780,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:20 PM

Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! (4471 Views)

Five People That Can Ruin Your Wedding Ceremony / Photo-my Pre-wedding Pix, All Nairalanders Invited. / Royalman Cordially Invites U To Album Launching (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by ebony4life(f): 12:45pm On Jun 07, 2011

Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by iice(f): 2:55pm On Jun 07, 2011
Great write up.
So very true
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by Epiphany(m): 12:54pm On Jun 08, 2011
Lolllllllllllllllllllll. Great write up. . . but it was the last bit that got me.

'How to be a wedding guest'. Lol again!
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by GudLion(m): 12:59pm On Jun 08, 2011
:d :d :d
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by madoba: 1:06pm On Jun 08, 2011
Absolutely a great write up. I concur with your statement on "Inappropriate dressing" it is way too prevalent at Nigerian weddings especially here in Lagos. Back in my home state though the rate of "inappropriate dressing" at weddings is very low, because we are a conservative and laid-back sort of state.

So if you appear at a wedding dressed inappropriately chances are that you will be the odd one. Most women attend this weddings in traditional attire and not the western and skimpy attires some lagos babes love.
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by omo9ja1(m): 1:23pm On Jun 08, 2011
nice write up - keep it up smiley
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by dubem3(m): 1:28pm On Jun 08, 2011
makes a lot of sense.
as for the skimpy and what i call bad dress sense, i wonder if they don't get embarrassed
when they are asked to leave the church.
nice write up jooor
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jun 08, 2011
Awesome! wink
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by kokoye(m): 2:06pm On Jun 08, 2011
One word: FEMALES

It aint your wedding . . kapish!!

lol @ aso-ebi compliant
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by FlyboyZee: 2:12pm On Jun 08, 2011
ebony4life:

I am discussing weddings not marriage.
The focus is not on the couple but on those very important people who supposedly make the day special – The Wedding Guests!
I traveled back to Nigeria for 3 weddings in May; 2 in Lagos and 1 in Abuja. I had lots of fun and caught up with old friends. I also marveled at the advances that have been made on the Nigerian wedding scene. As P-Square would say “E No Easy O”.
Anyway, back to the guests, I witnessed so much bad behaviour that I just had to talk about it.

Case 1
Bringing Uninvited Guests

One of the weddings I attended was a small (and very beautiful) invite-only wedding. The couple chose a small venue and ensured that their chosen guests were lavishly entertained. During the course of the event, one of the young ladies that was seated on my table, let’s call her Hauwa, went to “get her friends from the door”, what she failed to mention was that her friends were uninvited. Before we knew what was happening, raised voices could be heard from the door. She was having a shouting match with the bouncers because they “had the effrontery not to” let her friends in. It took several of the groom’s friends to calm her down, while the negotiations were taking place, she insisted that they call the bride so she could tell her about the situation, at that point, everyone just gave up and her friends were eventually let in. Since there were no seats from them, the waiters had to run around looking for seats! It was just too much. I just thought to myself…But HABA It’s Not Your Wedding!

Something similar happened at my wedding too and my wife almost cried during the reception. Before we got to the reception venue in our motorcade with the invited guests after the foto session, the hall was already fully seated and we couldn't ask anyone to leave, cos it would be too much of and embarrassment. Our invited guest had to use the pool syd of the hotel since we didn't plan for such a crowd. Each tym i watch the video, I still feel very terrible and bad.
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 08, 2011
dubem3:

makes a lot of sense.
as for the skimpy and what i call bad dress sense, i wonder if they don't get embarrassed
when they are asked to leave the church.
nice write up jooor

Some single/married dudes wey wan see bleached laps dey there oh.Consider them and skimpy clothes do that.
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by unphilaz(m): 2:27pm On Jun 08, 2011
thanks poster i will save to read it properly wedding dis year ending
thanks
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by r231(m): 2:29pm On Jun 08, 2011
kokoye:

One word: FEMALES

It aint your wedding . . kapish!!

lol @ aso-ebi compliant

true

it takes two grin
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by TruAkebaje(f): 2:35pm On Jun 08, 2011
ebony4life:

During the course of the event, one of the young ladies that was seated on my table, let’s call her Hauwa, went to “get her friends from the door”, what she failed to mention was that her friends were uninvited. Before we knew what was happening, raised voices could be heard from the door. She was having a shouting match with the bouncers because they “had the effrontery not to” let her friends in. It took several of the groom’s friends to calm her down, while the negotiations were taking place, she insisted that they call the bride so she could tell her about the situation, at that point, everyone just gave up and her friends were eventually let in. Since there were no seats from them, the waiters had to run around looking for seats!

That Hauwa is NOT a friend, if it was my wedding I would have bounced her. What nonsense! I have been to invite only weddings - when a mutual friend wanted to come to one, I politely  explained to her that she couldnt cos it was IV only, she accepted that and the conversation turend to othe matters. Simple! How can you spoil someone's special day like that? angry

@ ebony4life, - sorry o! my friend LOCKED the hall until she and the groom came from shurch, and she had bouncers to MAKE SURE that uninvited guests couldnt come in. (but she's crazy like dat! grin )

1 Like

Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by PapaBrowne(m): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2011
Excellent Piece!! You should write a book!! You already have the perfect topic Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited…but Haba It’s Not Your Wedding!!  Subscribing . . . . .
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by joe4christ(m): 2:40pm On Jun 08, 2011
Bla bla bla bla bla Ssshit, @poster And when are u gonna get married huh? But sincerely i dont see why this should make a front page on nairaland,
waz up with this moderators nowadays?
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by Ekpoma1: 2:44pm On Jun 08, 2011
Nice write up but u 4got 2 mention those who will eat more than 1 plate and still go home with extra.
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by semid4lyfe(m): 2:50pm On Jun 08, 2011

Case 3
Dressing Inappropriately

This should probably have been number one! One of the weddings I attended was a big society “do” and that day, I saw outfits that I just cannot fathom how and why that seemed like a good choice for a wedding. I sincerely wish I could put up some of the photographs. Extremely short, extremely tight and many ill-fitting choices. I am definitely not a prude but this was just too much. There was a particular lady who was my schoolmate from secondary school in Nigeria, I actually saw her at the church ceremony and she had to ask to use someone’s pashmina to cover her thighs because of the church officials asked her to leave. This also applies to men. Please adhere to the dress code of the wedding. Jeans and worn-out shoes do not cut it. Thank you.

Wearing body hugging, skimpy and short outfits (that leaves very little to the imagination) with ''10 inches high heels'' is the in-thing in Lagos weddings now.

I nor blame the gals sha. . . dem gats show off their assets, market themselves and hook their own ''bobo'' grin grin
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by Elpieda: 3:11pm On Jun 08, 2011
This write-up was stolen from Bella Naija under the weddings category so Credit should be given where credit is due. If you are going to copy and paste someone else's write-up, courtesy demands that you post a link of your source except you are the writer herself.
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by semid4lyfe(m): 3:19pm On Jun 08, 2011
Elpieda:
This write-up was stolen from Bella Naija under the weddings category so Credit should be given where credit is due. If you are going to copy and paste someone else's write-up, courtesy demands that you post a link of your source except you are the writer herself.

Are you serious? Ole ni ebony4life yi sha tongue

Oya, OP modify your post and include the link of the source for peace to reign grin
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 08, 2011
I read this same post on bellanaija. Dont knw if d poster and nolita on BN are one and the same person. If not, a little acknowledgement is in order.
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by niviso: 3:31pm On Jun 08, 2011
@ Post,
Did you remember to mention those that scavenge in weddings?
Its a very bad culture to attend a wedding you were not invited to. Many even get angry that they were not invited.
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by yemipretty(f): 3:49pm On Jun 08, 2011
@ O.P it's bad manners to copy and paste Articles from one website to another without the permission of the Author. Infact it is illegal- a breach of the Author's Intellectual Property rights you see. You owe BellaNaija an unreserved apology. BN holds the copyright on all Articles & Pictures uploaded on its site and you could get some heavy fines for your breach of their right.
Next time you wanna write something, just write it BY YOURSELF. angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 4:04pm On Jun 08, 2011
the wedding scavengers weren't included; those people that show up gorgeously dressed with huge nylon bags in their bags to cart away anything cartable. And all these things are not limited to weddings only. Birthday parties, burials, pretty much eery kind of celebration in Nigeria, you'll find mo gbo mo ya(s). For instabce, at my grandma's burial not to long ago, I came across so many uninvited guests. didn't quite mind because it was held in the village so it's taken to be a sort of commujal event. However, there was this incredibly shabbily dressed man seated at a table, someone i'm quite sure wandered in because he saw canopies and a well dressed people, and was quite intent on getting drunk

The guy called me as i passed (i was wearing the burial clothes so it wasn't difficult for him to tell i was a family member and had access to food and drinks) and told me that he had not been served anything yet. I asked what i should get him and he said a bottle of star and a plate of rice which i got him. Then i went upstairs to the balcony cos i was tired and decided to watch the goings on from there. After downing the food and beer in record time, i saw the man call my brother who was passing and said something to him. My brother went away and returned with another bottle of star. I decided to say nothing about that. about thirty minutes later, i went downstairs to look for my mum only for someone to tug my shirt and ask for a bottle of star. It was the very same man, he had changed seats to give me the impression that hecwas someone else. I was about to tell him off when my dad came over. Apparently, he'd been watching tge man's antics and asked him to leave and that nobody should give him anything if he popped up elsewhere. Why have a shabbily dressed man get drunk at our grandma's funeral?
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by Chuckdee(m): 4:31pm On Jun 08, 2011
Originally culled from:
http://www.bellanaija.com/2011/06/02/dear-guest-you-are-cordially-invited-but-haba-its-not-your-wedding/

OP, always give credit and references to other ppls articles so that one day dem no go steal your own cool grin shocked
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by otokx(m): 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2011
Poster should come back and give credit to whom credit is due.
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by gabu4u1(m): 5:52pm On Jun 08, 2011
O like this post. People should watch what they do at weddings
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by Debokan: 10:32pm On Jun 08, 2011
@Poster you too make sense.
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by Skii(m): 11:21pm On Jun 08, 2011
The Post make SENSE dieeeeee

wink wink wink wink
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by Amario(m): 7:28am On Jun 09, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Wearing body hugging, skimpy and short outfits (that leaves very little to the imagination) with ''10 inches high heels'' is the in-thing in Lagos weddings now.

I nor blame the gals sha. . . dem gats show off their assets, market themselves and hook their own ''bobo'' grin grin

I wonder if this ladies feel thats the way to catch their bobo, I dont think most guys are actually interested in stuffs like that for a future wife, else is for pleasure,
Thats where most girls get it wrong.
Dress Smart and pretty is OK and u stand a better chance, But if u get a guy by exposing ur cute assets, it wont last cos the guy would some find another asset Juicer than urs,
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by ebony4life(f): 9:59am On Jun 09, 2011
At all who likes this post the credits are to[b] NOLITA[/b] COS I got it from a popular blog [BELLA NAIJA] and knew N/Landers will love this
I've not checked since I posted to see REPLIES.

As for the 'lawyers' [Yemipreety, Elpieda, Semid4lifye] If I want to plagiarize, I won't copy word for word am not dumb,
you didn't well read to SEE shocked that her name was underneath the post.

Twas a topic that needed extended viewing!
Re: Dear Guest, You Are Cordially Invited. But Haba It’s Not Your Wedding! by SimplYeahmee(m): 9:16pm On Apr 10, 2013
TruAkebaje:

That Hauwa is NOT a friend, if it was my wedding I would have bounced her. What nonsense! I have been to invite only weddings - when a mutual friend wanted to come to one, I politely  explained to her that she couldnt cos it was IV only, she accepted that and the conversation turend to othe matters. Simple! How can you spoil someone's special day like that? angry

@ ebony4life, - sorry o! my friend LOCKED the hall until she and the groom came from shurch, and she had bouncers to MAKE SURE that uninvited guests couldnt come in. (but she's crazy like dat! grin )

its ur wedding nah so you go stand with all the flowing gown waka go door to put things in order

bt haba no be ur wedding

(1) (Reply)

Independence Day Short Poems For Kids In English | 15 August Poems For Short Kid / Groom Called Out For Wearing A T-shirt To Wedding / Nigerian Wedding Dresses! Inspiration For Brides

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.