Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,299 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? (4884 Views)

How Quitting My Job Made Me Cry / I Lost My Job Because I Complained Of Poor Working Condition!! / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by madoba: 4:49pm On Jun 07, 2011
I have an unfortunate problem. My decently paying job is super boring. It's seasonal, so for a couple of months I'm very busy, then other months of the year I sit at a desk and attempt to look like I'm not playing solitaire (which of course, I am).

I have access to the internet but I can't stream anything. I can't stay on it for extended periods of time either or I get a lovely slap-on-the-wrist email from HR.

I've asked for more work. There isn't any. The bosses don't LIKE to see me doing nothing, but since they know there isn't anything else to do I'm in no danger of getting fired. What can I do with myself all day? I have to sit at my desk, that's my major restriction. Any suggestions for anything constructive I can do? (or even just good time-wasters?) Thanks.

*I know I need to look for another job, easier said than done, but it's definitely part of my future plans.
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by chamber2(m): 5:34pm On Jun 07, 2011
why not read some e-books during this time?Save it on the desktop and read from there.By doing so you will be able to gain some knowledge that might be handy in the future.
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by obowunmi(m): 5:36pm On Jun 07, 2011
Are you looking to get promoted ? Remember work hard and not smart ? What is your position within this organization --- can you work with someone on a project or create your own project  ---- the fact that you're bored doesn't mean that you have to look for another job. Just means that its time you start thinking creatively with the type of job that you have.

Whats your role within this company ? Entry level ? Middle Manager ? Ordinary staff ? Can you work with someone on a project or create your own ---  I look forward to hearing from you.
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by karis: 6:13pm On Jun 07, 2011
Well i agree with chamber2, get materials and develop yourself. Look for other areas at work that is active and productive and likely overstretched at the time. Volunteer and help out. You might also learn a thing or two. About going ons in other aspects of the business. Stay busy and productive. At the slow time add value to yourself, study. Such investment is never wasted.
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by snowdrops(m): 8:12pm On Jun 07, 2011
cant you go with an i phone/i pad? that can keep you busy. however i appreciate how boring such positions can be.
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by madoba: 8:34am On Jun 08, 2011
karis:

Well i agree with chamber2, get materials and develop yourself. Look for other areas at work that is active and productive and likely overstretched at the time. Volunteer and help out. You might also learn a thing or two. About going ons in other aspects of the business. Stay busy and productive. At the slow time add value to yourself, study. Such investment is never wasted.

Trust me, I've done this and I still do it as often as I can but there are days when I'm not just in the mood to read materials because I truly desire to be actively engaged/busy. I didn't bargain for a job where there would be long periods of inactivity as well as idleness. Besides HR, I am the only staff of this organization for now, so there's no where to volunteer and help out as you've suggested.

My superiors do not reside in the same town with me, two are based in the US and one is in PH,they come around when we do have projects to work on and execute. May I add that they also have other business concerns where they reside so really , what can I do.
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by madoba: 9:00am On Jun 08, 2011
obowunmi:

Are you looking to get promoted ? Remember work hard and not smart ? What is your position within this organization --- can you work with someone on a project or create your own project ---- the fact that you're bored doesn't mean that you have to look for another job. Just means that its time you start thinking creatively with the type of job that you have.

Whats your role within this company ? Entry level ? Middle Manager ? Ordinary staff ? Can you work with someone on a project or create your own --- I look forward to hearing from you.

Mmmh, I would consider my role to be middle manager, my position is administrative manager (but I prefer admin officer). Am i looking to get promoted? For now I don't see myself getting promoted because this is a new organization I joined them in August of 2010, July will make me a year here and so far I am still the only staff they've brought on board.

There are no higher positions to aspire to for now because none has been created. I studied law and this is a medical/healthcare education company (not a hospital or HMO). Projects are basically determined by my superiors who are doctors. They decide what sort of medical skills training or workshop to hold for healthcare workers. Now that is not my field of expertise so i can't create projects of my own I can only work on projects they create.

My job is to basically manage every aspect of our workshops from providing catering to handling hotel and travel arrangements, preparing certificates etc etc. I only find myself busy before a training, during the training and shortly after training. So if they do not schedule projects/trainings I have practically nothing to do work wise.
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by chamber2(m): 9:20am On Jun 08, 2011
[sup][/sup]

Since you are a law graduate, why not develop some writing skills?Start writing articles for news papers etc.
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by madoba: 12:47pm On Jun 08, 2011
chamber2:

[sup][/sup]

Since you are a law graduate, why not develop some writing skills?Start writing articles for news papers etc.

That sounds like a great idea. But undecided writing doesn't particularly interest me and really I haven't got the talent for some thing like that.
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by AjanleKoko: 9:24am On Jun 09, 2011
Spend your time looking for another job that'll hopefully keep you busy, and keep you learning new stuff.
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by obowunmi(m): 7:19pm On Jun 09, 2011
madoba:

Mmmh, I would consider my role to be middle manager, my position is administrative manager (but I prefer admin officer). Am i looking to get promoted? For now I don't see myself getting promoted because this is a new organization I joined them in August of 2010, July will make me a year here and so far I am still the only staff they've brought on board.

There are no higher positions to aspire to for now because none has been created. I studied law and this is a medical/healthcare education company (not a hospital or HMO). Projects are basically determined by my superiors who are doctors. They decide what sort of medical skills training or workshop to hold for healthcare workers. Now that is not my field of expertise so i can't create projects of my own I can only work on projects they create.

My job is to basically manage every aspect of our workshops from providing catering to handling hotel and travel arrangements, preparing certificates etc etc. I only find myself busy before a training, during the training and shortly after training. So if they do not schedule projects/trainings I have practically nothing to do work wise.

After listening to this, I agree to this:

AjanleKoko:

Spend your time looking for another job that'll hopefully keep you busy, and keep you learning new stuff.

Goodluck with your search! smiley smiley
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by AjanleKoko: 7:40pm On Jun 09, 2011
madoba:

I didn't read this earlier.
Sounds like you do admin work. That's not so bad. You can just find yourself a hobby, learn something new.
Work is work, why not find yourself an extra-curricular thing to do on the side?
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by yamakuza: 10:18pm On Aug 30, 2011
Like learning 3 new languages via CD or online?

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-747256.0.html
Re: What Do I Do All Day To Keep Myself Busy Since My Job Doesn't Do It? by nsodo: 6:09am On Sep 02, 2011
Think about creating your own side business far from were you are working because what i can see any time you can be fired and at the office you should try to carry out budgeting and make sure your work is equally distributed to keep you busy throughout the day. Do not over stretch your self as it will make you redundant some days.

(1) (Reply)

Benefits Of ICAN (ATSWA) Professional Certificate / 15 Minutes Loan @ 3% Without Collateral / Who's Going To Afrika Kommt 2016 Assessment Centre In Kenya Next Month?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.