Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way (30042 Views)

Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University / Doctor Shares Experience With An Employer In Abuja, rejects N70K salary / Man Going For Interview Speaks Rudely To Prospective Employer Inside KEKE NAPEP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 18, 2021
Employers only recognize and reward those who take the initiative to add tangible value to the company.

It's not enough to do what is expected of you or what is written in your employment letter (JD). You have to strive to go the extra mile, or else you'll just realize that you're on your own busy making efforts on monotonous activities count for nothing- not money, not attention, not even promotion!

Add value; practical value for that matter!

85 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Nobody: 11:05am On Nov 18, 2021
You add practical value by making sure you're supplying work or ideas capable of:

1. saving your company money
2. making your company money
3. helping your company to make an impact
4. giving your company any form of competitive edge
5. giving your company a good name

109 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by GlobalWay: 3:16pm On Nov 18, 2021
Wonderful!

7 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by michaellovaldo(m): 3:16pm On Nov 18, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Kreamie(m): 3:16pm On Nov 18, 2021
In other words, lick ass/es the best you can. It’ll get you far. undecided

156 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by GodIsBiafran: 3:16pm On Nov 18, 2021
angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by proxitaly: 3:16pm On Nov 18, 2021
Make we hear
There are myriads of jobs where you can't add any other tangible value than what you are employed to do. Imagine telling a bank teller to add value.
Also, most Nigerian jobs differ little from slavery. You're being paid 50k in today's economy and work 7 to 7. Which other value you wan add?

283 Likes 19 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by EmzyT: 3:16pm On Nov 18, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Bayaar02(m): 3:17pm On Nov 18, 2021
OK...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Uncleodi(m): 3:17pm On Nov 18, 2021
Hardwork pays, just be smart enough while being honest

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by oluwaseunamos33(m): 3:17pm On Nov 18, 2021
Mtchewwww

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by bouncin04(m): 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2021
You can even kill yourself

Ndi eye service shocked shocked shocked , na all these kyn fellows dey make employers dey feel say 50k wey dem dey pay you too much . Ndi ass lickers. This behavior is acustomed to a particular tribe, but I won't mention.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by tradepunter: 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2021
Ok
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Passionate888: 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2021
Cheiya embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by matm: 3:19pm On Nov 18, 2021
Creativity is the watch word.Doing the same thing every other person does no matter how well, doesn't make you extra ordinary.But they who defy the ordinary,sit with kings and queens said our fore fathers.

13 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Boogyman557: 3:19pm On Nov 18, 2021
Holly Gram cool WTF MAN
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Kindness218: 3:20pm On Nov 18, 2021
If you stay in Kano and you can drive tiper, Howo and foton quote me.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 3:20pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:
Employers only recognize and reward those who take the initiative to add tangible value to the company.

It's not enough to do what is expected of you or what is written in your employment letter (JD). You have to strive to go the extra mile, or else you'll just realize that you're on your own busy making efforts on monotonous activities count for nothing- not money, not attention, not even promotion!

That was how chioma a marketer of one bank got her pussyyyyysssss shattered because she went the extra mile to get customers for her bank. Go invest your time and energy in biz bro. No white collar job is worth it

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by moscobabs(m): 3:20pm On Nov 18, 2021
Op you are right. That's why backend staffs remain in same level for long and the sales and Marketing staff grow rapidly

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Geestarry(f): 3:20pm On Nov 18, 2021
The place of adding value cannot be overestimated.

3 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 3:21pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:

You're being deceived, believe me.
Company will keep you because of your perceived worth and not just what you give to the company perse. Infact if you ask me which is better,
I would say you first work on your worth and let your service value flow flawlessly without you breaking a sweat. The reverse will only end you up in tears.

Think deeper

If your boss is using motivational word to whine your head, better wake up. While you try to give your best you must never get caught up and always remember that you will only remain relevant base on worth and your skill level. People kill themselves day and night in the road of extra miles.
Today no one ever heard what they did.

Omo no go dull o

The only time I will go extra mile in a company is if it increase my skill and worth but say because of say make bosses dey feel me. Dem go old.
The only promise I will fulfill is to do my task which I signed for and the rest of the story are left to my self improvement and personal decisions.

BOTTOM LINE: Only indulge if there is a combined interest (your interest and the company interest) or else na road of extra miles you go retire.

67 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Healthybiz: 3:21pm On Nov 18, 2021
smiley
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Kiddogarcia(m): 3:21pm On Nov 18, 2021
Adding value depends on where and what you do,there are some positions where the only bonus you can give is what you do give on a normal day,na we be your best plug for everything sexual enhancement tho
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Wiseandtrue(f): 3:22pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:

While some will tell you not to do more than your master grin grin

Some will even say, do exactly as you are told!

It's all depend on the environment!

Just study your environment anywhere you are

That's all!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Geestarry(f): 3:22pm On Nov 18, 2021
If you're looking for a business you can start online, and scale up in no time, at your own pace, my signature is for you.
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by airsaylongcome: 3:22pm On Nov 18, 2021
Lol... Story. Nigerian employers are slave drivers. The only way to increase your pay as an employee is to constantly switch employers. The day you start with one start to dey find another one. With these Nigerian employers, there's no Loyalty. Stay Wicked

21 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by seunolu7: 3:23pm On Nov 18, 2021
Lol. The world is moving away from hierarchical job 9-5 systems and moving to a collaborative works space, but Nigerians are still stuck with dumb old age practices. Why should you save a company's money if that is not your job? Why should you bother with giving them one useless competitive edge? Instead of seeking promotion in one boring job, we young Nigerians should start the era of hourly payments and encourage people to have two or three jobs that pay well and let people have time for their families. Don't spend 50 out of 75 years being a corporate slave so that your chairman will leave 2 billion dollar inheritance for his 12 children and 3 wives.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Kajaard: 3:23pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kreamie:

I hate eye service. Every where I have worked I abhor eye service and avoid people that do. Most colleagues might not like me for this but the company can never get rid of me because I am the absolute best in what I do cool

11 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by seamfund: 3:23pm On Nov 18, 2021
Cool

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by abbey621(m): 3:23pm On Nov 18, 2021
What no employer will tell you:

1. You're never going to be wealthy just by working, it is best to have something outside of work that makes money for you(Shares, investments etc).
2. Even if you dedicate 20-40 years of your life to the company, the day you retire or resign, the company moves on like nothing happened.
3. You're only as valuable as your boss, once your boss hates you forget am! if he/she loves you then pray your boss never leaves the company grin grin

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by TheGift: 3:24pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kreamie:

They said add value to your employer organization. How does this your interpretation add value?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N-Power: 10 Tips You Need / Successful Candidates For Faan Job Recruitment 2015 [full List] / As A Female, What Skills Do I Need To Acquire Before Going Abroad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.