Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,517 members, 7,770,319 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:10 AM

Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage (4346 Views)

Ultimate Solution To The Boko Haram Problem In Nigeria? / Boko Haram - Problem, Reaction, Solution / Some Sensible Ideas On How To Solve The Boko Haram Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Bintus2much(m): 8:57pm On Jun 08, 2011
Nigeria’s Jonathan Says Terrorism a Domestic Issue He Can Manage

Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan said Islamic radicals who have attacked government officials and security forces are a “domestic problem” unrelated to his election or the nation’s split between a mainly Muslim north and a predominantly Christian south.

“I can promise you that as a government we are committed and up to the task and will bring it down,” Jonathan told reporters at the United Nations in New York, ahead of a meeting today in Washington with President Barack Obama. “It does not rise to the level where we will have to ask President Obama or other world leaders for assistance.”

Authorities in Nigeria’s north have blamed a radical Islamic sect, Boko Haram, which draws inspiration from Afghanistan’s Taliban movement, for bomb attacks and killings targeting government officials and security forces. More than 14,000 people died in ethnic and religious clashes between 1999 and 2009 in Nigeria, Africa’s top oil producer and most populous nation, according to the Brussels-based International Crisis Group.
At least 14 people were killed and 17 seriously wounded when three blasts went off yesterday in the northeastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri, including one at the state government secretariat, Borno state police spokesman Lawal Abdullahi said. In a separate incident, a gunman in the city suspected to be an Islamic militant shot dead Ibrahim Mohammed, a Muslim cleric, late yesterday at his home, Abdullahi said.

Jonathan, 53, a Christian from the oil-rich Niger River delta region, defeated his nearest rival, Muhammadu Buhari, a northern Muslim, in the April 16 vote by a 57 percent to 31 percent margin. At least 800 people were killed as protests by supporters of the opposition candidate, a former military ruler, triggered violence between Muslim and Christian ethnic groups, according to New York-based Human Rights Watch.
Terrorist Attacks

“We have challenges, but it has nothing to do with the elections,” Jonathan said. “It has nothing to do with Christians and Muslims. Boko Haram would rather attack Islamic groups that embrace the western way of life. Even the most powerful countries are confronted with terrorist attacks. You have to manage it and gradually suppress it.”

Jonathan said he would use a “carrots-and-sticks approach,” of negotiations with Boko Haram and the use of military force if talks fail. He pointed to the negotiations and amnesty program that has reduced violence in the Niger Delta.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-08/nigeria-s-jonathan-says-terrorism-a-domestic-issue-he-can-manage.html
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Bintus2much(m): 9:00pm On Jun 08, 2011
if the boko haram issue is not beyond the management of the Fed government why are there still bombing and destruction of properties in the north?
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by seanet02: 9:01pm On Jun 08, 2011
Conjectures!!
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by blacksta(m): 9:07pm On Jun 08, 2011
seanet02:

Conjectures!!

1. Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork.
2. A statement, opinion, or conclusion based on guesswork:

[size=50pt]=[/size] GEJ
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Odunnu: 9:35pm On Jun 08, 2011
Oya my Able President, start dangling this carrot, its loooong overdue. Delay is dangerous
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by aribisala0(m): 4:14pm On Jun 09, 2011
you cannot negotiate with terrorists.
which carrot these guys can't be bought.
what they want no one can give

you have to crush them painfully.
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by cgift(m): 4:22pm On Jun 09, 2011
aribisala0:

you cannot negotiate with terrorists.
which carrot these guys can't be bought.
what they want no one can give

you have to crush them painfully.

e ba mi so fun o. Helelp me tellam
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jun 09, 2011
because he knows boko haram, he is their friend, this man is useless i swear, if u dnt need there help, why havent u arrested him, instead your paying militants salary?? wtf, i swear gej, i hate u more, than be4 the election, ur brain is not in the right direction
it is off limit, n ur pushing me to the limit
i need to order sum shakabula, and odaechi, ur heads needs to be blowed off angry
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Guyman02: 4:29pm On Jun 09, 2011
I hope that when GEJ goes after this terrorists, Obama and his NATO will not say he is killing civilians and allign with boko haram to topple the govt if he passes the Petroleum industry Bill (PIB) undiluted?
Just like they are doing in Libya by alligning themselves with the same Alqueda terrorists that they have been making so much noise about and hiding under it to invade other countries.

The carrot is to educate every almajiri in the north, just like the ND militants were sent to South Africa, US and Ghana, send the boko haramists to Qatar, Brunnei, Saudi Arabia to go and study engineering and agriculture in a westernised Islamic institution. they will come back refined.
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Roland17(m): 4:33pm On Jun 09, 2011
What have we gained in this parasitic relationship with the U.S?, Visa Regulations keep increasing with more costs, warfare in Africa is determined by the resources they can steal, take for example Libya, Iraq, Vietnam, has anyone asked why the Americas have not helped the Somali govt, after all some of their ships have been Seized by the Pirates, simple! there's absolutely nothing to fight for in Somalia, if they decide to help Nigeria with Boko Harm, that shows that GEJ is not only weak, but useless, what happened to dialogue, like it was done with the militants, what happened to the Nigerian Army,
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Guyman02: 4:51pm On Jun 09, 2011
Roland17:

What have we gained in this parasitic relationship with the U.S?, Visa Regulations keep increasing with more costs, warfare in Africa is determined by the resources they can steal, take for example Libya, Iraq, Vietnam, has anyone asked why the Americas have not helped the Somali govt, after all some of their ships have been Seized by the Pirates, simple! there's absolutely nothing to fight for in Somalia, if they decide to help Nigeria with Boko Harm, that shows that GEJ is not only weak, but useless, what happened to dialogue, like it was done with the militants, what happened to the Nigerian Army,

Oil has not been discovered in Somalia, till then they can continue fighting. No free lunch in London. We are called the happiest people on earth because you can walk into any ceremony uninvited and enjoy a good free meal!
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 09, 2011
Carrot and sticks my foot! Common, fire them finish- complete military attack!
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by chakula: 4:56pm On Jun 09, 2011
Guyman02:

The carrot is to educate every almajiri in the north, just like the ND militants were sent to South Africa, US and Ghana, send the boko haramists to Qatar, Brunnei, Saudi Arabia to go and study engineering and agriculture in a westernised Islamic institution. they will come back refined.

sad
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by 1025: 4:58pm On Jun 09, 2011
when is jonathan planing to handle this issue? maybe when we are all dead. everything about jonathan is procrastination.
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by naso2(m): 4:58pm On Jun 09, 2011
Donlittle:

because he knows boko haram, he is their friend, this man is useless i swear, if u dnt need there help, why havent u arrested him, instead your paying militants salary?? wtf, i swear gej, i hate u more, than be4 the election, your brain is not in the right direction
it is off limit, n your pushing me to the limit
i need to order sum shakabula, and odaechi, your heads needs to be [size=15pt]blowed [/size] off angry

You no go try give yourself sense now, before your infantile exposition  put you for trouble.
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 09, 2011
na_so:

You no go try give yourself sense now, before your infantile exposition  put you for trouble.
STFU, i repeat, just shut up, GEJ, is a dunce no doubt about that, he is just a figure head in the house, imagine??
chai, i wait seriously for 2015
the truth hurt u ehnn??
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by lookmangiw(m): 5:17pm On Jun 09, 2011
koastar:

Carrot and sticks my foot! Common, fire them finish- complete military attack!
i love this.abeg where were the niger delta militant and the boko haram during baba iyabo time.he set an example for them through the wiping out of udi and every other trouble makers sit right.honestly,we still need someone like him in our present situation.
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by honeric01(m): 5:36pm On Jun 09, 2011
Don't worry folks, GEJ needs at least 1 year to draw a roadmark on what to do about all the violence going on in Nigeria now.

Be patient, if GEJ could become president, Nigeria can know peace again cheesy
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by medoski(m): 5:55pm On Jun 09, 2011
The authority is not supposed to kill their leader, because he is the only one that can negotiate with the government . Now you can see how incompetent nigerian security agencies are, especially the sss. Their salary is just running for nothing, no proactive plan work, no blueprint , no stratagem.
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by bandely(m): 6:14pm On Jun 09, 2011
Guyman02:

Oil has not been discovered in Somalia, till then they can continue fighting. No free lunch in London. We are called the happiest people on earth because you can walk into any ceremony uninvited and enjoy a good free meal!
mo gbo, mo ya!  grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by nisaac(f): 6:34pm On Jun 09, 2011
Donlittle:

because he knows boko haram, he is their friend, this man is useless i swear, if u dnt need there help, why havent u arrested him, instead your paying militants salary?? wtf, i swear gej, i hate u more, than be4 the election, your brain is not in the right direction
it is off limit, n your pushing me to the limit
i need to order sum shakabula, and odaechi, your heads needs to be blowed off  angry

After ranting u'll log off abi?
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 09, 2011
Then again, ur azz is not pose to reply to my post, is it affecting you shocked shocked
kerosene is expensive, he wont kill boko haram, police cant save people, people keep on dying
what kind of goodluck is this self?? goodluck for himself only?? hightime every one starts bearing goodluck angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Thatdave(m): 6:54pm On Jun 09, 2011
who told u the meaning of nigerian "carrots and sticks?" . huuh? critics?
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Thatdave(m): 7:06pm On Jun 09, 2011
medoski:

The authority is not supposed to kill their leader, because he is the only one that can negotiate with the government . Now you can see how incompetent nigerian security agencies are, especially the sss. Their salary is just running for nothing, no proactive plan work, no blueprint , no stratagem.
mumu. what is your source for this news? or reason for this conclusion? dear mumu please recall that US has been in iraq since 2001 till date but there are still lots of bombing in iraq. mumu how do you expect the fed govt to email you their plan towards quenching d the boko fire?
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by violent(m): 7:48pm On Jun 09, 2011

“I can promise you that as a government we are committed and up to the task and will bring it down,” Jonathan told reporters at the United Nations in New York, ahead of a meeting today in Washington with President Barack Obama. “It does not rise to the level where we will have to ask President Obama or other world leaders for assistance.”

Such a sloppy use of the English Language.
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by vislabraye(m): 9:05pm On Jun 09, 2011
I hope so.
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by tpia5: 9:22pm On Jun 09, 2011
he should let us know as soon as he starts managing them.
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Bensonite: 10:58pm On Jun 09, 2011
GEJ-please pass order shoot at sight any BOKO Haram member confirmed. Yar Adua killed over 700 in 2009 no shaking. The way they are operating police will soon stop wearing uniform in Borno State.
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Roland17(m): 2:06am On Jun 10, 2011
@bensonite
Have been wearing uniform b4?
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Nobody: 2:23am On Jun 10, 2011
Guyman02:

I hope that when GEJ goes after this terrorists, [b]Obama and his NATO will not say he is killing civilians and allign with boko haram to topple the govt if he passes the Petroleum industry Bill (PIB) undiluted?
Just like they are doing in Libya by alligning themselves with the same Alqueda terrorists [/b]that they have been making so much noise about and hiding under it to invade other countries.

Now think about that very well and state what sense is in that statement.
Alqueda killed Americans yet American govt is helping them out,you think dem no send their citizens as naija dey do?
I have a Libyan guy here who works at a liquor store,his whole family in Libya were killed by Qaddafi's men while his 14 yr old daughter was raped and set ablaze.the guy no get himself at all now,looks so dejected always and u say madafy does not deserve what he is getting or you are also going to deny what is happening in the Libyan hinterlands?

Are you going to deny that Madafy is killing his people?he said it himself "those that are protesting against me,we shall hunt you and your family out and kill you like dogs"
Now what leader says that to his own people
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Nobody: 3:56am On Jun 10, 2011
Roland17:

true word
Re: Jonathan Says Boko Haram Problem Is Not Beyond What He Can Manage by Nobody: 4:03am On Jun 10, 2011
Guyman02:

As Fela would put it we are suffering and smilling

(1) (2) (Reply)

Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu / 2 PDP Governors Set To Move To APC-Kwankwaso / MAI TA TSINE, The Story Of Nigeria’s Religious Terror Of The 1980s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.