Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,358 members, 7,780,972 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:38 AM

Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia (2502 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: FG Should Legalize Illegal Refineries - Murray-Bruce / Navy Uncovers Illegal Refineries In Niger-delta (photos, Video) / Pictures Of Illegal Oil Refineries In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by aloyemeka1: 1:57am On Jun 09, 2011
[size=14pt]Police destroy six illegal refineries in Abia[Rather than seize, develop, turn them legal so they can provide jobs and expand tax base] [/size]
From, OKEY SAMPSON, Aba

Wednesday, June 8, 2011
The Igbo man is noted for his ingenuity. That special gift from God manifestedduring the civil war when the people from the South-east geopolitical zone of the country were involved in the production of many technological war weapon ranging from the dreaded Ogbunigwe, popularized called “Ojukwu bucket” to the building of airstrips and refineries, using local raw materials.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jun/8/505.html

This technological wizardry has not departed from the people. Thus it is not by accident that Aba, the commercial hub of Abia State is called the Japan of Africa as there is nothing that you want constructed or fabricated in the city, you cannot get.

This rear and great gift of creativity are also found in the leatherette sub-sector where shoes, bags, waist belts and allied products made in Aba compare favourably with others in any part of the world.

But not too happy enough, this Igbo man’s ingenuity was recently put into wrong use when the police discovered illegal refineries built and run by the locals in a village in Ukwa West Local Government of Abia State.

Before the carving out of Abia from the old Imo State in 1991, the Ukwa East and Ukwa West local government areas were just one – Ukwa. The area single-handedly gave Abia its status as an oil producing state.

Though Ukwa may be the hen that lays the golden egg for Abia, it has on the other hand remained a problematic child of sorts.

When kidnappers held sway in Abia and Aba in particular, nobody knew that Ugwati in Ukwa West Local Government where Obioma Nwankwo a.k.a Osisikankwo and his second in command in crime, Stone hailed from, was their headquarters. It took the kidnap of the 15 school children which drew wide condemnation and the eventual deployment of soldiers for the world to know that actually the sleepy village of Ugwuati was the base where the man that held Abia and neighbouring states on the jugular hailed and operated from there.

Just as the Augean stable was being cleared and Abia’s battered image beginning to be better again, an ugly incident happened again.

On May 13, the police in Aba got a tip off about the operation of illegal refineries at the sleepy village of Ezendioma in Ukwa West Local Government.

The Aba area commander of the Nigeria police, Rabiu Dayi quickly mobilized his men to the area. On the first day of the operation, which involved a combined team of the Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS), the mobile police unit and the regular police, 40 suspects were arrested, including 148 (50 liters) of jerry cans, six buses stationed at the sites to lift the locally refined petroleum products which were filled in jerry cans to where they would be sold.

On the second day of the raid which was more of a mop up operation and led by Hassan Bala, the Abia State commissioner of police himself, one suspect was arrested, bringing the number of those arrested in connection with the operation of the illegal refineries to 41.

Bala who was alarmed by the magnitude of what he saw inside the forest, directed the Aba Area Commander to invite the traditional ruler of the community of the area to his office in Umuahia for a meeting on how best to stop the illegal business going on in his community.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by alex101(m): 2:06am On Jun 09, 2011
A dungeon that can't harness the ingenuity of it's inhabitants embarassed. Remaining in this dungeon called nigeria is the greatest obstacle to the Igbo progress,,,,well, 2015 here we come cool.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by aloyemeka1: 11:24am On Jun 09, 2011
You can follow Becomerich to Matemate island.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:29am On Jun 09, 2011
Honestly, i'm furious over this situation. The government (federal and state) hasn't got the capacity to provide jobs for these hardworking, ingenious individuals. But when they find a way to harness their God-given resources with their God-given talents, they're not allowed to.

If we had a proper Government in Abia state, as well as adequate representation in Abuja at the Senate/House of reps', then one would hope to see reason eventually prevail. But we've got no such luck.

You see how those useless police got down to the so called "illegal refineries" like a shot to dabaru the whole thing. If na boko-haram or militancy now, it will take them months to figure out what to do, and after all the initial gra-gra everything will come back to 'carrot and stick approach'.

My Igbo brothers and sisters are stuck between a rock and a hard place; damned if they do and damned if they don't. Instead  of the government trying to find a way to work with these "illegal refinery" owners as has been suggested, they would rather prefer to condemn these youths to a life of hopelessness. Bloody nonsense!!!!
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by aloyemeka1: 11:38am On Jun 09, 2011
If na boko-haram or militancy now, it will take them months to figure out what to do, and after all the initial gra-gra everything will come back to 'carrot and stick approach'.

You are right on this one.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by sayso: 12:38pm On Jun 09, 2011
illegal destroyed but legal cannot provide for the masses.IDIOTTSSSSSSSSSSSS
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by MMM2(m): 1:17pm On Jun 09, 2011
abia state dont dull in terms of money.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by otitokoro1: 1:21pm On Jun 09, 2011
Policeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

grin grin grin
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by infinitii(f): 1:55pm On Jun 09, 2011
You all see what am saying, it means that Refinaries can work in nigeria,but mercenaries wont allow such since they make billions of naira from IMPORTED PETROLEUM PRODUCTS
It means the some Nigerians are saboteurs who will not want the national refinaries to work since the poor masses.
Am SURPRISED they are arrested rather than appreciating their ingenuity and find out from them how they were able to achieve these momumental feat!!!!!!!!!

Shame to the Nigerian Government, shame to petrol subsidy, shame to all those did not make the National Refinaries to work, SHAME TO SABOTEURS, SHAME, SHAME
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by topsy1971: 2:23pm On Jun 09, 2011
What is illegal is illegal and lacks credibility irrespective of whatever purpose it's serves. If you want to run a private refinery, make move to get it established through the legal means. How do the owners of the illegal refineries source their crude?, Bunkering.
This is not a matter of ethnic bias. Wealth should not be ammassed through illegality.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by ak47mann(m): 2:24pm On Jun 09, 2011
useless country angry angry
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by otitokoro1: 2:31pm On Jun 09, 2011
useless country Angry Angry

Nigeria is still useful,

The NPF are useless grin grin grin
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by ojofu(m): 2:48pm On Jun 09, 2011
But why is this illegal?, if the federal government cannot refine crude oil why not leave it for those who can or was the crude that they were refining stolen.
why cant we refine oil ourselves ?
what will happen if Mr A or B own a refinery in Nigeria?
is it a crime if we have like 10 refineries in Nigeria?
is it a must that the federal government produce power and distribute it for us?. why cant i do it if i have the resources at my disposal.
what will happen if everybody is given the licence to produce cement?
why is it that the federal government must give you licence before you do anything in Nigeria?
why is it that in Nigeria when you discover gold, bitumen or any mineral anywhere. the federal Government will take over. is it like that in other country?  

In my opinion, The Federal Government is the Genesis of our Problem in Nigeria, how can we leave everything in the hand of one man or Group. if we want to make progress i think we should reduce federal control.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by Reference(m): 2:55pm On Jun 09, 2011
That's exactly what I'm saying on the Dangote thread. Believe me its better to be in jail for producing something than claim to be free but at the mercy of ineptitude. What is freedom wit kero going for N 800 a litre. This act has proved than this country can and believe me will be self sufficient everything. They just make us believe that refining petroleum products can only be done by angels, only in heaven are there good roads, and constant light is divine. When they push and push people then it will become clear to all who the few people really running this country and running it into the ground.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by EzeUche1(m): 3:06pm On Jun 09, 2011
My brothers are doing something the Nigerian government cannot do, that is to refine oil. Instead of imprisoning them, they should hire them and see the secret to their success in refining oil. The Nigerian government stifles development.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 09, 2011
I won't believe this story one bit. Who gave the police the right to destroy properties? Head to court on this one. They can close it down for being illegal until actions are taken to know the fine to be issued to the owners of the refineries not destroy it.   

Shell produce more than they report in Nigeria, have they started destroying their platforms? angry angry angry angry 

Crime is justified in Nigeria then if this is how we gon threat job creating ideas,
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by hackney(m): 4:05pm On Jun 09, 2011
People are refining and distilling crude oil in villages whereas the country cannot repair its refineries.
The activities are criminal but also ironic.

it shows that Some people are just dead weight to others in that country.

Our refineries are being sabotaged.

This is by the way but can i suggest that we look at ways of generating cheap electricity?
if successful we should cut down all the national grid power lines that go through the east.
nonsense.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by Guyman02: 4:14pm On Jun 09, 2011
without sounding tribalistic, checkout the names of the arresting police officers. The issue is that some parts of this country are really slowing others down, the average Igboman is always rearing to go, thinking hard of how the whites are able to achieve what they have and always believing that he can do same. Go to Aba and see what those guys are producing. We have spent time discussing about inverters, if you get to Aba you find locally made inverters littering the streets.

These guys refine kerosene which is selling presently at N850 a gallon, ask them how are they able to achieve that, while we waste several millions importing and subsidising while GEJ (the new american puppet) is busy sitting at Obamas office discussing second term for UN Banki Moon and supporting bombing of Ghadaffi and Libya by NATO.

The police also takes the law into its hands by declaring their facility illegal and destroying them without a competent court of law giving the directive. Illegality for illegality in a banana republic
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by otondo55: 6:45pm On Jun 09, 2011
I pity this nation, instead of to nuture this great idea by good men/women of goodwill

all you see is theivies in black, taking laws into their hands, no warrant, nothing !

Nigeria Grow UP !!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by seanet02: 7:03pm On Jun 09, 2011
Almost everything about Ibo is Fake
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by udezue(m): 7:26pm On Jun 09, 2011
Sean, u lil mooron. Can u do what they did? No. U lack the intelligence just like most of your ppl do so carry ur bad belle and go to hell.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jun 09, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Police destroy six illegal refineries in Abia[Rather than seize, develop, turn them legal so they can provide jobs and expand tax base
From, OKEY SAMPSON, Aba

Wednesday, June 8, 2011
The Igbo man is noted for his ingenuity. That special gift from God manifestedduring the civil war when the people from the South-east geopolitical zone of the country were involved in the production of many technological war weapon ranging from the dreaded Ogbunigwe, popularized called “Ojukwu bucket” to the building of airstrips and refineries, using local raw materials.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jun/8/505.html

This technological wizardry has not departed from the people. Thus it is not by accident that Aba, the commercial hub of Abia State is called the Japan of Africa as there is nothing that you want constructed or fabricated in the city, you cannot get.

This rear and great gift of creativity are also found in the leatherette sub-sector where shoes, bags, waist belts and allied products made in Aba compare favourably with others in any part of the world.

But not too happy enough, this Igbo man’s ingenuity was recently put into wrong use when the police discovered illegal refineries built and run by the locals in a village in Ukwa West Local Government of Abia State.

Before the carving out of Abia from the old Imo State in 1991, the Ukwa East and Ukwa West local government areas were just one – Ukwa. The area single-handedly gave Abia its status as an oil producing state.

Though Ukwa may be the hen that lays the golden egg for Abia, it has on the other hand remained a problematic child of sorts.

When kidnappers held sway in Abia and Aba in particular, nobody knew that Ugwati in Ukwa West Local Government where Obioma Nwankwo a.k.a Osisikankwo and his second in command in crime, Stone hailed from, was their headquarters. It took the kidnap of the 15 school children which drew wide condemnation and the eventual deployment of soldiers for the world to know that actually the sleepy village of Ugwuati was the base where the man that held Abia and neighbouring states on the jugular hailed and operated from there.

Just as the Augean stable was being cleared and Abia’s battered image beginning to be better again, an ugly incident happened again.

On May 13, the police in Aba got a tip off about the operation of illegal refineries at the sleepy village of Ezendioma in Ukwa West Local Government.

The Aba area commander of the Nigeria police, Rabiu Dayi quickly mobilized his men to the area. On the first day of the operation, which involved a combined team of the Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS), the mobile police unit and the regular police, 40 suspects were arrested, including 148 (50 liters) of jerry cans, six buses stationed at the sites to lift the locally refined petroleum products which were filled in jerry cans to where they would be sold.

On the second day of the raid which was more of a mop up operation and led by Hassan Bala, the Abia State commissioner of police himself, one suspect was arrested, bringing the number of those arrested in connection with the operation of the illegal refineries to 41.

Bala who was alarmed by the magnitude of what he saw inside the forest, directed the Aba Area Commander to invite the traditional ruler of the community of the area to his office in Umuahia for a meeting on how best to stop the illegal business going on in his community.

No wonder they are expert in fake and substandard products. . .gift from God ? shocked ROFLMAO
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jun 09, 2011
~Bluetooth:

No wonder they are expert in fake and substandard products. . .gift from God ? shocked ROFLMAO
must you be negative about people!! i wonder how you live your life! what a pity! embarassed embarassed
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by manny4life(m): 12:21am On Jun 10, 2011
ojofu:

But why is this illegal?, if the federal government cannot refine crude oil why not leave it for those who can or was the crude that they were refining stolen.
why cant we refine oil ourselves ?
what will happen if Mr A or B own a refinery in Nigeria?
is it a crime if we have like 10 refineries in Nigeria?
is it a must that the federal government produce power and distribute it for us?. why cant i do it if i have the resources at my disposal.
what will happen if everybody is given the licence to produce cement?
why is it that the federal government must give you licence before you do anything in Nigeria?
why is it that in Nigeria when you discover gold, bitumen or any mineral anywhere. the federal Government will take over. is it like that in other country?  

In my opinion, The Federal Government is the Genesis of our Problem in Nigeria, how can we leave everything in the hand of one man or Group. if we want to make progress i think we should reduce federal control.

I have asked most of these questions over and over again; why does the FG has so much power and what is the House doing about it? Until there riots, protest, lawsuits et al challenging authority of the FG, Nigeria WILL NEVER be the same. I once said before, how about states introduce a referendum that the FG is incompetent, imagine where 5 / 7/ 10 or even 15 states filed a joint class action against the FG authority for instance on power, that will force the courts to make decisions and give what is long overdue to the states. If the WILL of the people is that they want control over their resources, that power should be delegated to the states not FG. While incompetence is NOT unconstitutional, imposing on the people is.

@OP, while what they did is illegal, hey I can justify their actions any day. If the FG was competent enough, thing s like this won't be going wrong.
before what are state(s) doing
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by pleep(m): 2:16am On Jun 10, 2011
The saddest part is that unemployed youths In The village are able to refine petrolium but the government still can't. Why can't they let private bussinesses do what they can't do?
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by ezeagu(m): 2:22am On Jun 10, 2011
[center][size=58pt]GENIUS[/size][/center]

Hate it, but it won't erase it. grin
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by Nobody: 3:16am On Jun 10, 2011
This is like the 20th time am hearing of Illegal refineries, and its always ironic. But what baffles me is how the supposedly responsible leaders cannot do something about this. At times like this I really wish am in control of the power:

If the Abia state Government does not know, let me put it straight:

Abia state government needs to harness this opportunity to launch a refining industrial sector.

There is no rule that says every refinery must be gigantic and complex: The rule should be about its safe operation.

The technology they are practicing is simple atmospheric distillation of crude, they are left with a by product that still needs further cracking to produce more PMS, AGO and DPK.

1. Abia state government should put together a team of experts (Many chemical and Petro-chemical Academics, there are plenty in UNN who are well versed in this) to establish safety modalities for the operation, construction and location of simple Atmospheric distillation refineries.

2. Pass these standards through Nigerian Department of Petroleum Resources for Approval. Hence making them legal for operation.

3. Map out an industrial estate or layout and get the necessary Ministry of Environment approval for the locations.

4. Allow individual investors to construct their Drum refineries to the Approved but uncomplicated and low cost standard, locate in the approved areas.

5. Arrange to have a simple cracking facility installed each Refining Estate. Then pipe all the by products from the various Atmospheric Refining units to the Cracking facility for further processing.

4. Alternatively they can export the by products to old European refineries which concentrate in Cracking the by products of Atmospheric distillation of crude.

5. Aim at buying up any crude produced in Abia state, by erecting a legal hurdle of right of first refusal against the oil companies.

6. Refine Crude produced in Abia state this way, howbeit at low profit margin, but creating thousands of jobs for her teaming job seekers.

7. Seek to standardize products by testing with labs and export to other African countries, who do not care how complex the producing refineries are.

What am suggesting is a simple modular refining arrangement used in India etc. only with less advanced refining system. What those drum pipes are doing is exactly what the Big Nigerian Refineries are doing without Fluid Catalytic Crackers. Infact some people are rich in Nigeria by making the Big Refineries not to crack, and sell of the by products which are given to them at cheap giveaway prices from the refineries, they are almost as good as 40-60% of crude oil.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by EzeUche1(m): 3:20am On Jun 10, 2011
^^^

I agree with you. The people of Abia are very industrious. T.A. Orji needs to tap into this though.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by Goodking(m): 4:17pm On Jun 10, 2011
KenGali:

This is like the 20th time am hearing of Illegal refineries, and its always ironic. But what baffles me is how the supposedly responsible  leaders cannot do something about this. At times like this I really wish am in control of the power:

If the Abia state Government does not know, let me put it straight:

Abia state government needs to harness this opportunity to launch a refining industrial sector.

There is no rule that says every refinery must be gigantic and complex: The rule should be about its safe operation.

The technology they are practicing is simple atmospheric distillation of crude, they are left with a by product that still needs further cracking to produce more PMS, AGO and DPK.

1. Abia state government should put together a team of experts (Many chemical and Petro-chemical Academics, there are plenty in UNN who are well versed in this) to establish safety modalities for the operation, construction and location of simple Atmospheric distillation refineries.

2. Pass these standards through Nigerian Department of Petroleum Resources for Approval. Hence making them legal for operation.

3. Map out an industrial estate or layout and get the necessary Ministry of Environment approval for the locations.

4. Allow individual investors to construct their Drum refineries to the Approved but uncomplicated and low cost standard, locate in the approved areas.

5. Arrange to have a simple cracking facility installed each Refining Estate. Then pipe all the by products from the various Atmospheric     Refining units to the Cracking facility for further processing.

4. Alternatively they can export the by products to old European refineries which concentrate in Cracking the by products of Atmospheric distillation of crude.

5. Aim at buying up any crude produced in Abia state, by erecting a legal hurdle of right of first refusal against the oil companies.

6. Refine Crude produced in Abia state this way, howbeit at low profit margin, but creating thousands of jobs for her teaming job seekers.

7. Seek to standardize products by testing with labs and export to other African countries, who do not care how complex the producing refineries are.

What am suggesting is a simple modular refining arrangement used in India etc. only with less advanced refining system. What those drum pipes are doing is exactly what the Big Nigerian Refineries are doing without Fluid Catalytic Crackers. Infact some people are rich in Nigeria by making the Big Refineries not to crack, and sell of the by products which are given to them at cheap giveaway prices from the refineries, they are almost as good as 40-60% of crude oil.  

A valid argument and sensible contribution indeed!

This should have been a state-secret if Nigeria is one. America has similar illegal deeds which they often harness without putting it on the media or daring to destroy anything.

The NPF's reaction is simply a no-brain action. They know no formular.

This is why many of us here seldomly considers coming back to a country where the law is only made for the poor and the unfurnate. The rich say "NEVER GET CAUGHT" but the poor say "GOD HELP US". What an irony. Nigeria is not coming close to being one. I sense  some sentiments in the action taken by the NPF. They should have been taken to the court of law first before exhibiting ABSOLUTE MADNESS.

Before you make a comment, ask yourself this question "What is the benefit from this destruction?". I think the white man had also put an element of self-destruction in our system not only by colonization but by monitoring and sabotaging our progress. Wake up! you young man and rethink!
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by amor4ce(m): 11:52pm On Jun 10, 2011
@KenGali, well said. Illegality remains illegality. It seems like many Igbo people like to blame others instead of taking responsibility for their actions[correct me if I'm wrong]. There have been many Igbo people who have held influential positions in various governments. They have been awarded various contracts. But how have these reflected? I remember how they complained loudly that Obasanjo was marginalizing their region, especially for road rehabilitation. They then kept quiet when it was revealed that contracts had indeed been awarded to their kinsmen.

They should just put in more effort at doing things legally and I'm sure they will see wonders.
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by Nobody: 5:03am On Jun 11, 2011
amor4ce:

@KenGali, well said. Illegality remains illegality. It seems like many Igbo people like to blame others instead of taking responsibility for their actions[correct me if I'm wrong]. There have been many Igbo people who have held influential positions in various governments. They have been awarded various contracts. But how have these reflected? I remember how they complained loudly that Obasanjo was marginalizing their region, especially for road rehabilitation. They then kept quiet when it was revealed that contracts had indeed been awarded to their kinsmen.

They should just put in more effort at doing things legally and I'm sure they will see wonders.
ples how does your obasanjo ?igbo road blah blah bla connects to your illegality of igbos?
Re: Police Destroy Six Illegal Refineries In Abia by bashr4: 9:39pm On Jun 14, 2011
amor4ce:

dumb

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan May Sack Mdas’ Chiefs For Distorting 2012 Budget / Rochas Okorocha The Governor Of Imo State Ate His Lunch By Wrestling....... / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.