Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work (3229 Views)

Inspector Held For ‘forging’ Colleagues’ Promotion Signals (photo) / 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work / Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by deluxecad(m): 4:48pm On Jun 10, 2011
This is just my honest and unbiased view based on the much I have seen so far, don't harangue me for nothing if you don't have a reasonable thought to express.

Most women, not all are better enjoyed as either wives or just girlfriends, not as colleagues in the workplace. A woman will always work you up so badly with her antics and whatever, that's not good for a place where profitability is paramount and demands camaraderie among the workforce. You don't know how to handle them because their moods swing as hell, one minute they have your nerves frayed, the other minute they are begging in such a way you'd feel so guilty if you don't let go.

They'd carry long faces all day after a slight argument. The worst is that the superiors find it hard to handle their idiosyncrasies.

Some have intolerable attitude. Sucks!

A little news would be peddled all round the block in just a jiffy, thanks to the blackberry. SMH.

During their monthly thing, you can hardly get them to do anything for you. WTF?

I can go on. Give me a fellow dude to work with any time, any day.

grin
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by MrCork17: 5:15pm On Jun 10, 2011
deluxeca. are u g,a:y? angry
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by butterflyy(f): 5:18pm On Jun 10, 2011
He is very gay.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by deluxecad(m): 5:40pm On Jun 10, 2011
You two lack understanding or plain childish.

Read!!!!!!!!
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by MrCork17: 5:51pm On Jun 10, 2011
deluxecad:

You two lack understanding or plain childish.

Read!!!!!!!!

Bro. have you eaten? U loook hungry! undecided
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by MMM2(m): 6:19pm On Jun 10, 2011
angry
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by Natasha2(f): 6:23pm On Jun 10, 2011
really? I didn't know this
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by iice(f): 4:20am On Jun 11, 2011
For the most part true. But that's just me. Been around guys all my life. I work with guys and everytime i get a female secretary it's tedious. Thankfully i have one female secretary now who is just like me. . .Odin is good tongue
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by AjanleKoko: 5:36pm On Jun 11, 2011
To a reasonable extent, OP is right.
Only a small percentage of women can be said to be professional in the workplace.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by CHIMSKY(m): 8:24pm On Jun 11, 2011
OK first things first.If the purpose of being in a place is serious work.and i mean serious work.then a man is the person for u.he wont bring his baggage from the house to the workplace.there will be no excuses or tantrums.he knows that at the end of the day what matters are results.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by adeg11: 8:25pm On Jun 11, 2011
As you can have it, God has made women better to be helpers and wife.
Thanks.
visit us for your make ups on http://beebiees.com/
thanks. grin
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by octar6: 8:32pm On Jun 11, 2011
very true statement and observation.but the truth still remains,we cant help it.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 11, 2011
hahhahhahahhaa the poster is somehow right sha.

I have seen husband and wife worked together. Trust me is not pretty. grin grin
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by coogar: 8:34pm On Jun 11, 2011
deluxecad:

This is just my honest and unbiased view based on the much I have seen so far, don't harangue me for nothing if you don't have a reasonable thought to express.

Most women, not all are better enjoyed as either wives or just girlfriends, not as colleagues in the workplace. A woman will always work you up so badly with her antics and whatever, that's not good for a place where profitability is paramount and demands camaraderie among the workforce. You don't know how to handle them because their moods swing as hell, one minute they have your nerves frayed, the other minute they are begging in such a way you'd feel so guilty if you don't let go.

They'd carry long faces all day after a slight argument. The worst is that the superiors find it hard to handle their idiosyncrasies.

Some have intolerable attitude. Sucks!

A little news would be peddled all round the block in just a jiffy, thanks to the blackberry. SMH.

During their monthly thing, you can hardly get them to do anything for you. WTF?

I  can go on. Give me a fellow dude to work with any time, any day.

grin

100% true. . . . . .female bosses are demons!
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 11, 2011
why is dat wen some1 opens a thread,some miscraints always try to derail such sentitve threads? Mr cork and co. be warned. @o.p u are very correct, do away wit women if its nt about romance.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by AkanA1(m): 12:21am On Jun 12, 2011
4 a man the sole purpose of work is 3 keep the papers rolling in. Ladies on the other hand want 2 papers 2 keep rolling in but will prefer not working 4 it. Yeah! I do agree the woman's place is in the kitchen. All thru my prof. life, ladies have been sort of a pain in the ass,
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by Outstrip(f): 3:20am On Jun 12, 2011
Ignorance is bliss
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by sweettweet: 8:06pm On Jun 12, 2011
u are absolutely right. i have one that sucks in my workplace.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by deluxecad(m): 8:42am On Jun 13, 2011
sweettweet:

u are absolutely right. i have one that sucks in my workplace.

Yea, I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by madoba: 1:45pm On Jun 13, 2011
@ deluxe I can relate to what you are saying because as a woman I am guilty of some of the things you mentioned such as wearing a long face all day after an argument and mood swings (i.e being pleasant/enthusiastic one day and being totally unethusiastic and real quiet on another day).

Men and women are wired differently and this may account for the difference in our conduct at the work place, another factor that may be responsible could be the lack of basic induction and training for new staff in organizations. Recently I decided to research/read on-line materials on professionalism and what professional conduct truly means.

I was shocked at the number of things that constitute professional conduct at the work place, which I have been ignorant of even though I've worked for 4 years now since NYSC. Granted as employees we often learn most things on the job but this issue of professional conduct/professionalism at the work place is one that should be taught to every employee in the first week of their employment. both experienced and inexperienced recruits should be trained on this as it will go a long way in saving the organization from the sort of issues you stated and preventing employees from commiting too many blunders.

I've oftened heard the phrase "he/she was unprofessional" "be professional" etc etc but until now I never really understood the meaning of the concept or what it entails. Thanks to internet sha, now i know better and will strive to be professional at work. if any of my employers had bothered to train me on this i would be better off today. You know just as parenst train their children, teachers instruct their students and so on, employers do have a certain responsibilty to their employees in this regard.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by emmke(m): 2:01pm On Jun 13, 2011
some seem to have something to say at all times. They cant just STHU
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by madoba: 5:35pm On Jun 13, 2011
emmke:

some seem to have something to say at all times. They cant just STHU

undecided undecided undecided I don't see how this(your statement above) makes you any different or better than the people you've criticized. If you don't have a worthwhile contribution to make to a thread just pass on by and let those who have something worthwhile to say speak, its as simple as that oooh.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by Outstrip(f): 6:12pm On Jun 13, 2011
madoba:

@ deluxe I can relate to what you are saying because as a woman I am guilty of some of the things you mentioned such as wearing a long face all day after an argument and mood swings (i.e being pleasant/enthusiastic one day and being totally unethusiastic and real quiet on another day).

Men and women are wired differently and this may account for the difference in our conduct at the work place, another factor that may be responsible could be the lack of basic induction and training for new staff in organizations. Recently I decided to research/read on-line materials on professionalism and what professional conduct truly means.

I was shocked at the number of things that constitute professional conduct at the work place, which I have been ignorant of even though I've worked for 4 years now since NYSC. Granted as employees we often learn most things on the job but this issue of professional conduct/professionalism at the work place is one that should be taught to every employee in the first week of their employment. both experienced and inexperienced recruits should be trained on this as it will go a long way in saving the organization from the sort of issues you stated and preventing employees from commiting too many blunders.

I've oftened heard the phrase "he/she was unprofessional" "be professional" etc etc but until now I never really understood the meaning of the concept or what it entails. Thanks to internet sha, now i know better and will strive to be professional at work. if any of my employers had bothered to train me on this i would be better off today. You know just as parenst train their children, teachers instruct their students and so on, employers do have a certain responsibilty to their employees in this regard.

So you feel that you did not learn this fast enough because you are female?
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by deluxecad(m): 12:38pm On Jun 15, 2011
madoba:

Could you please post some of the content of the professional conduct stuff for us to see and read.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by madoba: 6:11pm On Jun 16, 2011
Outstrip:

So you feel that you did not learn this fast enough because you are female?

NO Outstrip, I didn't learn this on time because no one (in all of the places I've worked) has ever bothered to ellaborate or explain the concept, you are often just told to be professional and that's it. not because am female

deluxecad:

Could you please post some of the content of the professional conduct stuff for us to see and read.

Don't have my flash drive to upload it, but a google search of professionalism at the work place will bring up a lot materials on the subject.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by candylips(m): 11:05am On Jun 20, 2011
this is my first experience having a woman as a collegue and all i can say is that it has not been a good experience so far
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by tollu: 1:10pm On Jun 22, 2011
^^^
Ndo. What are the things she does that drive you nuts?

As Madoba has said, men & women are wired differently and until everyone understands that, the battle of the sexes would remain strong.
Women aren't just terrible bosses/colleagues, they are terrible friends, terrible customers and terrible everything.
Who cares if you are suffering from PMS or whatever, once you are at work all dose other things should take a back burner and your professionalism face should be brought out.
If you are emotionally disturbed or whatever, take a sick leave. It's a sickness.

I subscribe to Madoba's point of view that training on professionalism should be conducted at the beginning of employment. A lot of these issues come up because people assume that your colleagues as work should be "officially" bothered if anything is wrong. Things like that should be saved for out of work hours.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by damiso(f): 3:55pm On Jun 22, 2011
I just had to comment on this but i really think this is an unfair and stereotypical generalisation.Alot of people bang on about how they suffered under female bosses but i can say that in the best bosses(or rather managers) i have had in my proffessional working life are women.I have really rude obnoxious, bossy unproffesional MALE bosses(including the one who decided to pick on and intimidate me by transfering me to VI from Ikeja as soon as i told him i was engaged angry).That man was a real **s .I have had the one who was toasting one girl in my team and created a phoney role for the airhead, so dont please dont let me even start.

I really think it boils down to the individual and to be fair women tend to be more emotional and sentimental than men but i still think to say women are better as wives and Friends and not colleagues is just as bad as saying most(see i did not say all) Male bosses want to sleep with their young female subordinates.Its a sweeping generalisation.

I never, and i mean never take my home or personal issues to work ,same way i leave work at the door as soon as i get home.I have learnt to seperate the two and probably working in a highly proffesional enviroment aids that.I know i am paid to do a job at work and at home i am a mother, wife, daughter , friend and sister.
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by tollu: 7:32pm On Jun 22, 2011
Of course Damiso, there are exceptions to every rule. If you have been "fortunate" enough to come across fantastic female bosses and colleagues, I say good for you.

BUT, it is harder to work with most women. They tend to carry their issues and baggage around and you get to hear comments like "this woman needs to get laid".
Nobody's saying there are no evil male bosses
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by AjanleKoko: 8:42pm On Jun 22, 2011
tollu:

you get to hear comments like "this woman needs to get laid".

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Most times that creates another dimension of problem. grin
How have you been anyways?
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by damiso(f): 9:19am On Jun 23, 2011
Tollu cheesy cheesy cheesy at the 'this woman needs to get laid', this was the most common phrase used for one of my single 40 something year old managers and if i must be honest i know that woman's own was lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.

I agee that most women tend to carry around their personal baggage and as you rightly said sometimes maybe taking time off work to clear one's head might be the answer.But can you imagine telling a nigerian employer'I need time off work cos i am depressed and stressed' shocked shocked shocked shocked

Mental health issues are quite real and often times manifest in women as men are more able to conceal their emotions.There was this lady here in my office who had to take off like 3 weeks to deal with issues as she was going through a really messy divorce, she was a mess and could obviously not have been a productive member of staff at that time.My manager was quite understanding and she was signed off as sick for that period.But even taking sick days(when you are genuinely ill as i know some people do call in sick to skive off) is something that you are scared to do in Naija work enviroment talkless of saying i cant come in to work cos i am depressed (i can imagine the look on one of my then unit head's face when you say this shocked).

All in all, i agree that women have issues but i still believe that it is an unfair generalissation to say most women are better as wives not colleagues(haba so why bother educating girls?)
Re: Women: Better As Wives Or Friends, Not Colleagues At Work by tollu: 11:47pm On Jun 23, 2011
AjanleKoko:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Most times that creates another dimension of problem. grin
How have you been anyways?

lol, been good bossman. I sent u a mail sometime sef

damiso:

Tollu cheesy cheesy cheesy at the 'this woman needs to get laid', this was the most common phrase used for one of my single 40 something year old managers and if i must be honest i know that woman's own was lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.

I agee that most women tend to carry around their personal baggage and as you rightly said sometimes maybe taking time off work to clear one's head might be the answer.But can you imagine telling a nigerian employer'I need time off work cos i am depressed and stressed' shocked shocked shocked shocked

All in all, i agree that women have issues but i still believe that it is an unfair generalissation to say most women are better as wives not colleagues(haba so why bother educating girls?)

lol
True, it would be difficult to tell a Nigerian employer that. One would prolly have to lie and form some kind of physical illness.

I agree it's an unfair generalisation but it has a huge chunk of truth in it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Were They Right To Have Sacked The Gateman? / Economics Proof That Mu1/p1 = Mu2/p2 = Mu3/p3 / I Will Teach You How To Make Money Daily Through Facebook Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.