Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,191 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. (2776 Views)

A Theory Of Value Vs. Need – The Need For Personal Development. / Why The Comparism Btwn Physicists And Mathematicians? / Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by LesInvalides(m): 12:00pm On Jun 12, 2011
Mathematicians of all LANDS. Unite here.
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by thetelz(m): 1:22pm On Jun 12, 2011
Yeah we are here,any problem? cheesy
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by kokorodudu(f): 3:04pm On Jun 12, 2011
I dey here o,
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by Seun(m): 3:05pm On Jun 12, 2011
Is it for discussing number theory alone, or a thread for mathematicians to discuss all aspects of maths?
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by Dsense(m): 3:15pm On Jun 12, 2011
1+1=3 . . .Hope i qualify to be here embarassed
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by Ihengote: 3:17pm On Jun 12, 2011
Am waiting for instruction,
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jun 12, 2011
so what next, we don dey wait nar
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by poporipo(f): 3:53pm On Jun 12, 2011
hmmmmmmmm!
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by ak47mann(m): 4:03pm On Jun 12, 2011
yeaaaaahhhhh we are here what is the formula tongue tongue tongue
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by stevo4life(m): 4:15pm On Jun 12, 2011
oya now whats happening?
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by LesInvalides(m): 4:19pm On Jun 12, 2011
This forum is for mathematicians to meet and discuss certain aspects concerned only to a mathematician. Naive, unmathematical related or trivial questions not welcome here.
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by hakunajay(m): 9:19am On Jun 13, 2011
I'm here too!
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by yamakuza: 8:18pm On Jun 15, 2011
1. my further maths teacher once showed how one plus one equals 3.

Can anyone here repeat the feat?

2. How many mathematicians does it take to change a light bulb?

3. If i shoot one of 3 birds on a tree, how many will be left?
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by tanimola22: 8:31pm On Jun 19, 2011

Hi, what I am about doing is a mathematical fallacy, Don`t go around believing 1+1=3 because it is a lie and it violates the rules of basic number theory: you can never divide by zero. Having said that, I now prove that 1+1=3.

Let a and b be any two real numbers such that a=b (this, in fact, is a trivial assumption).
Then a-b+b=b (that is, for example, 8=8-2+2)
Dividing both sides by a-b gives
a-b/ a-b +b/a-b=b/a-b,
which then implies that 1+b/a-b=b/a-b
Subtracting b/a-b from both sides of the expression gives
1+b/a-b- b/a-b=b/a-b- b/a-b
which implies that 1=0.
Next, we use the fact that 1=0 to prove the false proposition that[b] 1+1=3[/b]

Now, we know that 1=1 is always true. Since 1=0 then adding 1 to both sides gives 1+1=1+0, i.e. 2=1
Adding 1 to both sides of 2=1 gives the desired result, i.e. 2+1=1+1 or 3=1+1. Using the commutative property of equality(means a=b same as b=a), we get
1+1=3, As earlier falsely claimed.

Well, this is pure logic, It has nothing to do with number theory, The answer is Nilpotent, which means [b]ZERO [/b]bird will remain there,

Again, this has nothing to do with number theory. I would advise you to discuss the meaning of number theory with your mathematics or further mathematics teacher. To this best of my knowledge, what resembles number theory in O'level mathematics and further mathematics is your permutation with combination,

Nonetheless, let me answer the question 2.

From experience, I think you will need about Six mathematicians. One of them turns the bulb, one of them is there for support, and the remaining four are left to relate to the experience.

Nice to know that a young mind like yours is interested in number theory, It is a good area of mathematics. It is currently being researched actively, It is an active area of research, Try and read up the Chinese Remainder Theorem,

Best of luck,

O,
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by yamakuza: 9:31pm On Jun 19, 2011
@tani

thanks for taking the plunge.

He showed it in '95. I'd almost given up hope of seeing it again.

2 and 3 were just to add spice. 2 is a joke, while 3 has many answers depending on which branch of maths u use.

While waiting for others to contribute more challenges (strictly number theory?), heres one more puzzle for all:

4. A drunk driver was arrested for beating traffic lights. He claimed that he saw green as he approached the stop lights. At what speed would he have been travelling for his assertion to be true?
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by candylips(m): 11:02am On Jun 20, 2011
love number theory
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by tanimola22: 5:14pm On Jun 20, 2011
@yamakuza

You be old man O, See me they advise person wey finish high school probably when me I dey JSS2--

Good, Anyway, I just love the field too. I studied some of it in undergrad, But now, I am more of a financial, economics guy.

Good luck
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by yamakuza: 8:43pm On Jun 20, 2011
@tani

lolz. No shaking. One happy family!

I can bet u r on top of your game.

So, did u know d 'proof' b4 hand, or u just worked it out?

How r u enjoying Nairaland? Seems u took your time joining.

R u still into number theory research? I remember my prof working with a chemistry prof, trying to apply it to the properties of lattice crystals. I am more interested in its applications to cryptography.

Once again, welcome to Nairaland!
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by tanimola22: 10:16pm On Jun 20, 2011
@yamakuza

Yes! in fact, number theory aids the successful study and analysis of lattice crystals. I am very much aware of that fact, Cryptography is very, very good, and number theory is highly applicable there too, The University of Stellenboch is a place where cryptography is heavily researched in Africa. I have a couple of guys there doing very interesting things in that area. Cryptography also relies heavily on computational algebra and the likes of Groebner basis. You must be having a lot of fun studying cryptography, I envy you LOL.

I have left pure mathematics for good. I am now investigating the applications of some of those fancy mathematical theorems to selected areas in the social sciences. One good thing about pure mathematics, and indeed number theory, is that it trains the brain to think 'piecesly'. I am still very grateful that I have a strong foundation in both pure and applied mathematics.

Yes, I am welcome to Nairaland for good.

Enjoy!
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by jackpot(f): 7:06pm On Jun 22, 2011
Researching in Functional Analysis. Representing my alumni~

any questions for me?
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by AjanleKoko: 12:23am On Jun 23, 2011
Interesting thread. Number theory has always fascinated me right from high school.

Back in elementary school, I remember stumbling on the fact that you can calculate the difference between two 2-digit numbers by multiplying the difference between both numbers by 9. i.e. 74 - 47 = 9(7-4) = 27.

For three digit numbers, it was 99 multiplied by the difference between the first and last digits. i,.e 835 - 538 = 99 (8-5) = 297.

I thought I had discovered something great grin

I came very close to studying math at university, but was talked out of it by my dad, and ended up studying engineering instead, and had to settle for applied maths, vector calculus, grad/div/curl/Possion & Laplace equations/Stokes/Gauss/Green and all of that.

If I had studied math, I'd probably be working in actuaries or be a CFA right now.
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by lekside44(m): 10:55am On Jun 23, 2011
one area nigerian mathematicians should concentrate on is in simulations. many of us learn all these force fields and so on but go to the industries where these things are mearnt to be applied you will find out that not even newtons first law is considered
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by tanimola22: 11:21pm On Jun 25, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Interesting thread. Number theory has always fascinated me right from high school.

Back in elementary school, I remember stumbling on the fact that you can calculate the difference between two 2-digit numbers by multiplying the difference between both numbers by 9. i.e. 74 - 47 = 9(7-4) = 27.

For three digit numbers, it was 99 multiplied by the difference between the first and last digits. i,.e 835 - 538 = 99 (8-5) = 297.

I thought I had discovered something great grin

I came very close to studying math at university, but was talked out of it by my dad, and ended up studying engineering instead, and had to settle for applied maths, vector calculus, grad/div/curl/Possion & Laplace equations/Stokes/Gauss/Green and all of that.

If I had studied math, I'd probably be working in actuaries or be a CFA right now.

Nice one there! Number theory is simply too beautiful and actually helps one see the pattern of things, just as you so intelligently recognised while in junior school. If I may ask, why did your guardian talk you out of studying mathematics? I personally believe the wrong assumption parents generally have is that, if a child studies mathematics, the child will only end up becoming a hungry and angry secondary school mathematics teacher, This reasoning is highly fallacious, As you correctly noted indirectly, people with strong mathematics skills are in high demand in almost any profession because their brains are hot and they are trainable. In fact, with a strong knowledge of maths, one can easily switch to the business, engineering or social science world. The best student in a finance and economics programme I once followed at master's programme outside Nigeria studied mathematics at undergrad level.
So, to all those reading this thread and hoping to study maths at the university, please be advised to strongly pursue your dream and make good grades too, With a degree in maths, my brothers and sisters, you can do very many things.

Peace!
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by tanimola22: 11:28pm On Jun 25, 2011
lekside44:

one area nigerian mathematicians should concentrate on is in simulations. many of us learn all these force fields and so on but go to the industries where these things are mearnt to be applied you will find out that not even newtons first law is considered
Lekside44, the difference between your claim and reality is epsilon, where epsilon is non-nilpotent and bigger than zero. You indeed spoke the truth. Mathematics cannot be dissociated from simulations. Both are like husband and wife.

We can only hope that more mathematicians and physicists recognize that fact pretty soon.
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by Funkejimoh(f): 9:30pm On Sep 13, 2019
Great mathematician, pls help me out with the problem oooo
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by Funkejimoh(f): 9:54pm On Sep 13, 2019
Pls help me with this question Triangle is divided to four triangles and three quadrilaterals,total perimeter for the four triangles is 20 and 25 for the three quadrilateral, total perimeter for whole triangle is 19, what is the sum of three straight line segment

Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by Funkejimoh(f): 9:55pm On Sep 13, 2019
Pls help me with this question Triangle is divided to four triangles and three quadrilaterals,total perimeter for the four triangles is 20 and 25 for the three quadrilateral, total perimeter for whole triangle is 19, what his the sum of three straight line segment

Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by BigotMan(m): 10:20pm On Aug 24, 2020
smiley

...going through my very old topics on nairaland
Re: Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 29, 2020
My teacher once thought me that the whole world could choose different figure but me still giving them answer that they all got.

(1) (Reply)

What To Expect In A Medical Examination From An Oil And Gas Company / The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend / `

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.