Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

The Fulani - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Fulani (31887 Views)

Who Are The Fulani People And Their Origins? / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? / The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:41pm On Jun 12, 2011
does anyone know what was the ancient pre-islamic religion practiced by the Fulanis i know for aa fact that d Woodabes r d only survivng Fulani tribe that practice a sort-of pre-islamic lifestyle eventhough they r moslem. r there Pagan Fulanis left today im a Pagan Maguzawa-Hausa, so i know that pre-islamic Hausas still survive (I am living proof), but i have always wondered if it was d same with d Fulanis.

[img]http://77.68.47.12/bbchumanplanet/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/photographs_wodaabe_allen_23.jpg[/img]

Woodabe @ Gerhewol ceremony

2 Likes

Re: The Fulani by pleep(m): 5:53am On Jun 20, 2011
Wow, i didn't know there were any pre-islamic hausa people left. What sort of religion is it? are u guys able to practise openly in Nigeria?

btw. Those people in the pictures have really weird eyes undecided

2 Likes

Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:57am On Jun 21, 2011
The Hausa religion in its actual form, is called Maguzawa and the people who practice it (now a sub-tribe of the Hausa) are the Maguzawa-Hausa. However, theres another aspect of Mguzawa religion, called Bori, which is usually practiced by secretly by the urban muslim Hausa. The Maguzawa practice it sorta openly, but Bori is practiced more secretively due to islamic persection.

and those ppl have weird eyes because they are taking part in an ancient Pagan ceremony called the Gerhewol, where young Woodabe-Fulani males find female partners and try to woo them by performing a ritualistic dance and by showing off their eyes (by rolling them) and their teeth (according to its whiteness). The person with the best teeth and eyes usually gets the best girl. its basically a mating ceremony.

heres a video to give u an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo_CzKOy2dk

2 Likes

Re: The Fulani by Araboy(m): 3:40pm On Jun 21, 2011
Those Fulani are not Nigerians they sound like they are from Mali Senegal or Mauritania

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:41pm On Jun 21, 2011
who says so There are Woodabe in Niger, Nigeria and Cameroon.

2 Likes

Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:42pm On Jun 21, 2011
and the Central African Republic.

2 Likes

Re: The Fulani by IG: 5:17pm On Jun 22, 2011
@PAGAN 9JA, I seriously doubt if you are really Hausa. There is nothing like Maguzawa-Hausa. The people are simply reffered to as Maguzawa and their culture/religion is reffered to as Maguzanci. A single person of the Maguzawa is called Bamaguje. By the way Maguzawa is the original name of the Hausas. It is more about culture than religion. I must state though, many modern Hausas don't like to be called Maguzawa because it is often associated with Paganism. I doubt if you can even speak Hausa. To prove me wrong, why don't you post the Hausa translation of your last post.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:38pm On Jun 22, 2011
so now u r doubting my very existence wat nxt angry

i am referring to myself as Maguzawa-Hausa because im speaking not just for myself, but the entire Hausa community, be he Pagan , christian or muslim.  i want to make Hausas realise their true identity, culture n religion and not be ashamed of it. and not just for my ppl, but my message is for all fella tribals in Africa and the world.   my goal in life is to drive out christianity n islam and all d bad memories of enslavement n sufferings associated with it frm d face of this planet and reinstate tribal dignity n faith. 

as for your translaton:  "waya fada? da akai Bororo a cikin Niger ,Nigeria da Cameroon kuma da CAF­"

2 Likes

Re: The Fulani by Booshman(m): 1:58am On Jun 23, 2011
For once Pagan 9ja didn't make a post that demonstrated his white people worshipping, anti-African, colonized mindset. I'm speechless!
Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:10am On Jun 23, 2011
Booshman:

For once Pagan 9ja didn't make a post that demonstrated his white people worshipping, anti-African, colonized mindset. I'm speechless!

*looks behind* Sir u must be mistaken, r u sure its me

cuz am d exact opposite, if u noe wat i mean, undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by IG: 2:18am On Jun 23, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

so now u r doubting my very existence wat nxt   angry

i am referring to myself as Maguzawa-Hausa because im speaking not just for myself, but the entire Hausa community, be he Pagan , christian or muslim.  i want to make Hausas realise their true identity, culture n religion and not be ashamed of it. and not just for my ppl, but my message is for all fella tribals in Africa and the world.   my goal in life is to drive out christianity n islam and all d bad memories of enslavement n sufferings associated with it frm d face of this planet and reinstate tribal dignity n faith. 

as for your translaton:  "waya fada? da akai Bororo a cikin Niger ,Nigeria da Cameroon kuma da CAF­ mana"

Mr PAGAN, that's exactly what I am saying. Your translation doesn't sound like that of a Hausa man. It should be something like
Inji Waye?, da akwai Bororo a Niger, Nigeria, Camroun da kuma CAF.
A true Bamaguje is respected by even the Muslim Hausas for their control of the Hausa language. But you don't sound anything like a Hausa man. And I repeat, there is nothing like Maguzawa-Hausa.

Maguzawa = The original Hausa people (Mostly reffered to preislamic Hausas)
Bamaguje = Single male of the Maguzawa people.
Bamagujiya = Single female of the Maguzawa people.
Maguzanchi = the Maguzawa's religion/culture (more like Maguzanism to give you an idea)

Talking about wiping Christianity and Islam from Africa, first you need to know the history of those two religions. And I tell you, you may hate it, but their pioneers are all blacks.
Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:37am On Jun 23, 2011
IG:

Mr PAGAN, that's exactly what I am saying. Your translation doesn't sound like that of a Hausa man. It should be something like Inji Waye?, da akwai Bororo a Niger, Nigeria, Camroun da kuma CAF.

A true Bamaguje is respected by even the Muslim Hausas for their control of the Hausa language. But you don't sound anything like a Hausa man. And I repeat, there is nothing like Maguzawa-Hausa.

Maguzawa = The original Hausa people (Mostly reffered to preislamic Hausas)
Bamaguje = Single male of the Maguzawa people.
Bamagujiya = Single female of the Maguzawa people.
Maguzanchi = the Maguzawa's religion/culture (more like Maguzanism to give you an idea)

Talking about wiping Christianity and Islam from Africa, first you need to know the history of those two religions. And I tell you, you may hate it, but their pioneers are all blacks.

hav u lost it or wat    i think i jus said dat i want to introduce a new concept whereby all Hausa start identifying themselves as Maguzawa regardless of faith. i basically want a transition first frm Hausa to Maguzawa nd along with dat, of faith, to Maguzaci.

and derz no quetion of my Hausa being bad. u must be deluded. ive lived my childhood in Kano n dats how we learnt to speak, and then i shifted 2 d Uk wer i livd wi fella Hausa. so my Hausa's perfect.

and your last senetence dont make any sense.  undecided

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by IG: 3:05am On Jun 23, 2011
@PAGAN, just accept it. Your Hausa is not fluent and there is nothing like Maguzawa-Hausa. Just use another method for your anti-christianity and anti-Islam campaigns.
And I didn't lose it, I just saw through you.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:30pm On Jun 24, 2011
when i say something once, i find that sufficient. i dont have to prove myself. to me, u r jus another hurdle to religious and social development of the world and a hurdle to my ideologies and a defender of d enslavers & troublemakers.

and lyk all hurdles i have encountered in d past, i will clear it. cool

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by IG: 12:43am On Jun 26, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

when i say something once, i find that sufficient. i dont have to prove myself. to me, u r jus another hurdle to religious and social development of the world and a hurdle to my ideologies and a defender of d enslavers & troublemakers.

and lyk all hurdles i have encountered in d past, i will clear it. cool

@PAGAN, now I get you. But why don't you come back to Africa and start. Do you really have to run to the land of the slave masters?
Re: The Fulani by NegroNtns(m): 3:03am On Jun 26, 2011
Pagan,

I first thought when I saw your translation, that you might be a Katsina man or Daura or even Bauchi, but you knocked me off my feet when you said Kano. I agree with IG, that translation is not a Kano dialect. You said u grew up in Kano, so I wonder what happened to your fluency.

Bori practitioners were also not underground in Hausaland. For sake of sharing with those who may not know what Bori is,

These are those big bulky guys that entertain on streets with display of immunity to knives and blades and swords cut to their skin and flesh. He is dressed in some leather skirt with amulets and is followed bys his drummer. They also have a more ritualistic performances where they do war dance till they loose it and go into trance.

However, I cannot confirm or deny mazuganci. I know the people of Hadejia have some sort of pre-islamic practice but can't say if its still alive or not.
Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:05am On Jun 26, 2011
hmm maybe u r riight.place lyk Katsina and Daura r close to Kano and r near the border areas, so u have different dialects there. Katsina is actually neighbouring Kano. However, its impossibe for me to be from Bauchi becaue its a bit inland toward the South of Kano and i think thy hav a different dialect. and Hausa in d past were generally nomadic. surprisingly, my dad said that his family in d past was actually frm Gume which is quite far frm Katsina or Kano. cheesy cheesy

the Bori however, ive heard do perform certain ceremonies and they also provide amulets and other things to protect from spirits.

IG:

@PAGAN, now I get you. But why don't you come back to Africa and start. Do you really have to run to the land of the slave masters?

i went ther when i was still young to determine my future. the main purpose was ofcourse education and a better life. However i do return to Nigeria quite frequently to meet relativ and im actually planning to search a job here and settle for good.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by NegroNtns(m): 5:20pm On Jun 26, 2011
I didn't ask for navigation help I know where these cities are located.

Are your claims about maguzawa correct? There is suspicion that it is not. The suspicion arises from your Hausa dialect which is not of Kano origin but you claim to be a son of Kano.
Are you Kanawa or a wanna-be? In which case your whole topic is un-authentic.
Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:19pm On Jun 26, 2011
hell ofcourse I am!!!!!!!!! my family on my moms side have been living der for generations. angry angry angry angry
i think u nid navigations if u r so interested in my wherabouts.
and it doesnt matter where i am from.d fact dat truly matters is dat im not mix-blooded. i am Hausa and proud. cool

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by NegroNtns(m): 6:46pm On Jun 26, 2011
No, you are not! Let me reveal you.

You are an agent of online social propganda to tear down social fabrics of traditional customs. You do this by using popular Western culture to lure youths into thinking it is armless to be pagan, it is armless to be gay, it is armless to be lesbian, it is armless to draw demons on your body and face and if anyone, including your own parents assault you for your 'armless" behavior, we will take them to court for violating your human rights.

Pagan, you are just at the initial stage of your recruitment plan and that's why you care to educate and present the maguzawa as a predated and cultural roots worth reawakening.

Get the 'F' out of here, you can't hide!!
Re: The Fulani by IG: 11:15pm On Jun 26, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

hmm maybe u r riight.place lyk Katsina and Daura r close to Kano and r near the border areas, so u have different dialects there. Katsina is actually neighbouring Kano. However, its impossibe for me to be from Bauchi becaue its a bit inland toward the South of Kano and i think thy hav a different dialect. and Hausa in d past were generally nomadic. surprisingly, my dad said that his family in d past was actually frm Gume which is quite far frm Katsina or Kano. cheesy cheesy

So you are not even sure of where you are from. And the name of the town you are referring to is Gumel and not Gume. For your information Gumel used to be part of Borno empire. It was only later merged with Kano by the British colonialist. So Mr PAGAN, if you are from Gumel, you may not be Hausa at all. You may originally be from one of the many ethnicities of the Kanem-Borno empire that trace their roots back to the Sahara. You may be originally a Berber or Tuareg. A little further digging, you may find distant cousins in Sudan, Soamalia or Yemen. So much for Maguzanchi grin
Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:57pm On Jun 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

No, you are not! Let me reveal you.

You are an agent of online social propganda to tear down social fabrics of traditional customs. You do this by using popular Western culture to lure youths into thinking it is armless to be pagan, it is armless to be man-lover, it is armless to be lady-loving-lady, it is armless to draw demons on your body and face and if anyone, including your own parents assault you for your 'armless" behavior, we will take them to court for violating your human rights.
Pagan, you are just at the initial stage of your recruitment plan and that's why you care to educate and present the maguzawa as a predated and cultural roots worth reawakening.

Get the 'F' out of here, you can't hide!!

you are a foolish n lame fella. god bless u.

IG:

So you are not even sure of where you are from. And the name of the town you are referring to is Gumel and not Gume. For your information Gumel used to be part of Borno empire. It was only later merged with Kano by the British colonialist. So Mr PAGAN, if you are from Gumel, you may not be Hausa at all. You may originally be from one of the many ethnicities of the Kanem-Borno empire that trace their roots back to the Sahara. You may be originally a Berber or Tuareg. A little further digging, you may find distant cousins in Sudan, Soamalia or Yemen. So much for Maguzanchi grin

i noe its Gumel. i must hav mis-typed cuz in case u noticed, i usually type quick. u must be wise enough to understand and not try to point out silly mistakes lyk a kid. Gumel was a part of the Borno Empire but during the days of the 7 Haussa states or as u probably know, The Hausa Bakwai , Gumel and other cities lyk Hadejia, Zazau, Kefi, etc. were and still are a part of Hausaland. even today Gumel is filled with Hausas and Fulanis. and if u are well aware, the original ruler of Gumel, Dan Juma was actuall from Kano. coming bak to the topic, i have even seen some Woodabe over there. There r hardly any Berber ova der. please get ur facts right before u talk, or u can just visit Gumel to find out more.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by IG: 11:17pm On Jun 27, 2011
The people of Gumel and Hadieja became Hausa by assimilation. I know it may be heartbreaking for you but you may be from a Tuareg or Berber tribe. Maybe a Tubu, Guran, Zaghawa, Badewi, Kanembu, Kwayam etc,  But look at the brighter side, you come from a civilization with more 1000 years of written history. But unfortunately for you as a pagan, the empire adapted Islam as far back as the time of the prophets immediate companions. 48 years after the death of the prophet to be specific.

And just so you know, I think the thing about Hausa bakwai and banza bakwai have so much been adulterated with mythologies. Kanem-Borno have been recording their history for hundreds of years, and that history shows Gumel as part of Borno.

Now let's get back to your paganism. I am surprised you don't even know the name of the Hausas' pre-Islamic deity or the name of their most popular priest in history. That's the more reason why I think you are not a Bamaguje.
Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:11am On Jun 28, 2011
i think u must stop saying im Touareg or Berber. im a black man and i dont speak Berber. AND THERE ARE HARDLY ANY BERBER PPLS IN GUMEL.  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

and Gumel was a part of Hausa Bakwai. its just in the past few 100 yrs (approx. 1750s). show me proof that Gumel was part of Borno befor the 18th century.  angry angry

there are 1000s of Hausa deities such as Bagiro, SArkin Anwa, Baaba Mazay, Waziri, AIlo, etc.
Re: The Fulani by member3(m): 3:09pm On Jun 28, 2011
[size=14pt]somebody got caught with their guard down. dont worry pagan pick your jaw up off the floor lol  grin cheesy wink smiley
[/size]
Re: The Fulani by bash673(m): 9:18pm On Jun 28, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

so now u r doubting my very existence wat nxt angry

as for your translaton:  "waya fada? da akai Bororo a cikin Niger ,Nigeria da Cameroon kuma da CAF­"

Pagan! Baka iya hausa ba. You are just propaganda.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:09pm On Jun 28, 2011
hot coals. kiss
Re: The Fulani by IG: 1:54am On Jun 30, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

i think u must stop saying im Touareg or Berber. im a black man and i dont speak Berber. AND THERE ARE HARDLY ANY BERBER PPLS IN GUMEL.  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

and Gumel was a part of Hausa Bakwai. its just in the past few 100 yrs (approx. 1750s). show me proof that Gumel was part of Borno befor the 18th century.  angry angry

there are 1000s of Hausa deities such as Bagiro, SArkin Anwa, Baaba Mazay, Waziri, AIlo, etc.
@PAGAN, you can't advocate for African traditional religion without knowing anything about Africa or Africans. Gumel wasn't part of Hausa bakwai, your Emir said it in many occasions. Most notably during the 1000 years anniversary celebration of Kanem-Bornu back in 2006.
And all those names you mentioned are not of Hausa pre-Islamic dieties. For God's sake, Waziri is an Arabic word ! how can it be a Maguzawa diety. The Hausas worship Stumburbura before the coming of Islam. Now I regret telling you that because you now have some genuine information for your campaign.

And by the way, Berbers and Tuaregs are blacks. We call them Buzaye in Hausa. Unlike you, I'm an African that chose to know our people's history.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:06am On Jul 01, 2011
IG:

@PAGAN, you can't advocate for African traditional religion without knowing anything about Africa or Africans. Gumel wasn't part of Hausa bakwai, your Emir said it in many occasions. Most notably during the 1000 years anniversary celebration of Kanem-Bornu back in 2006.
And all those names you mentioned are not of Hausa pre-Islamic dieties. For God's sake, Waziri is an Arabic word ! how can it be a Maguzawa diety. The Hausas worship Stumburbura before the coming of Islam. Now I regret telling you that because you now have some genuine information for your campaign.

And by the way, Berbers and Tuaregs are blacks. We call them Buzaye in Hausa. Unlike you, I'm an African that chose to know our people's history.

u r jus talkin nonsense for the sake of taking, Gumel was part of Hausa-Bakwai even b4 dem Fulani came. angry angry angry angry

and Waziri IS a Maguzawa God. he is the chief-minister to Sarki Alji/Ubangeji who is the King of the Gods and the creator and the Supreme deity. Wazri is also one of the 7 major spirits in Hausa religion and he acts as a guide to the people and animals and he spreads the rewards of the Great spirit, usually in the form of rains for a good harvest, health, etc. unfortunately due to islamic influences, we use d arabic term, though im currenty conferring wit elders to apply a more suitable name for this Iske, in the future years to come.

and u r jus a plain ignorant liar who is time and again trying to fruitlessy prove me and African traditional religion wrong. u must first get ur facts riight and stop arguing without any info or knowledge about me, my people or any other people for that matter.

Theres no such thing as Stumburbura and neither do we Maguzawa worship it. angry angry angry angry

so stop making your own names. undecided

and i perfectly know what Buzaye are and dont need your translation. You hav never seen/met true Berber jus lyk u hav never seen/met true Maguzawa. thats d reason y u keep talking lyk a deluded bufoon. ur being African or moon-alien does not prove anything. undecidedtongue tongue

almost all Berber are generally white-folk but due to the heat, many are tanned. they also hav pointed noses.

Ibrahim Ag Alhabib, lead singer of the Tuareg band, Tinariwen.

Berber King of Morrocco, muhammad VI:

Re: The Fulani by tpia5: 12:09am On Jul 01, 2011
i'm not sure, but i think black or dark skinned berbers would be known by another name eg tuareg.
Re: The Fulani by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:14am On Jul 01, 2011
@IG, and if u have come here to insult me or prove me wrong, plz start your own thread elsewhere. This thread is for the sole discussion of ancient pre-islamic Fulani culture. angry

@tpia@, Tuareg r actually white/wheatish complextioned lyk d 3rd pic above. but sum eventually tan/become black.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani by tpia5: 12:43am On Jul 01, 2011
^^true, but i think tuaregs may have more negroid admixture than the regular berbers.

tuareg chief with white visitor:

[img]http://www.profumo.it/images/timbuktu/capo_tuareg.jpg[/img]

the level of tan increases towards the southern coast of west africa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Siddika Lamido To Wed Abubakar Umar Kurfi (Photos) / The Aseyin of Iseyin, Oba Adekunle Salawudeen Is Dead / Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.