Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,384 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Tribal Markings - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tribal Markings (3484 Views)

Poll: should tribal markings and ritual scarification be banned completely???

Yes: 0% (0 votes)
No: 0% (0 votes)
No (but must be practiced only by the 18+ age group: 66% (2 votes)
No & Encouraged by the Ministry of Cultural Affairs: 33% (1 vote)
dont care: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Iwu: The Body Markings Of The Edo People. / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribal Markings by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:42pm On Jun 12, 2011
i have noticed a lot of repulsion here, towards tribal markings and facial scarification. However, lets try o think this over again from a different perspective. Aren't tribal marks also a symbol of courage and valour our ancestor bore the pain, and yet, they wore it with a sense of pride. so i was suggesting, how about we preserve this rich tradition. ofcourse it must not be cumpolsary, but during old-age when we dont really care as much, d strong and brave ones can alwayz opt for tribal marks of their particular tribe, if they feel they have the guts to bear it. and it does not necessairly hav to be d old, even young ones who feel they can bear it, then y not ofcourse it does not necessairly have to be aa compulsion.  wink
Re: Tribal Markings by snowdrops(m): 9:17pm On Jun 12, 2011
inflicting cuts on childrens faces when they are too young to make a choice is abuse. let them grow up and decide whether they want to mark or not.
Re: Tribal Markings by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:25pm On Jun 12, 2011
EXACTLY!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin

that way, we can preserve our culture AND children wont be harmed against der will. but banning d practice completely is outrageous and uncalled for. angry angry angry angry
Re: Tribal Markings by snowdrops(m): 10:14pm On Jun 12, 2011
i was given a mark as a child my self. although at present it is barely noticeable. personally i appreciate the reason my parents did it, but the fact that i was not given that choice is regretable.
Re: Tribal Markings by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:18pm On Jun 12, 2011
true. they shud hav notified u and yet, u r lucky to hav such aa noble sign and parents who still s'port d old values.
after all, many of Nairas greatest warriors were built by d marks on deir selves. wink
Re: Tribal Markings by iice(f): 2:56am On Jun 13, 2011
snowdrops:

inflicting cuts on childrens faces when they are too young to make a choice is abuse. let them grow up and decide whether they want to mark or not.

Agree.

I'm indifferent though when i see people with markings.
Re: Tribal Markings by snowdrops(m): 9:46am On Jun 13, 2011
thank goodness this practice is slowly fading especially amongst young families
Re: Tribal Markings by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:30pm On Jun 13, 2011
in my opinion its aa loss of tradition. the practice must be continued, but with proper education. education is a must.
Re: Tribal Markings by snowdrops(m): 1:49pm On Jun 13, 2011
so would you cut your childrens faces or do they already have marks?
Re: Tribal Markings by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:33pm On Jun 13, 2011
no not yet. but my sons very keen on it. we will do it later when hes aa bit grown up. everyone in our family has done it. we r Maguzawa-Hausa.
it was actually my sons keenness to have tribal markings dat also sumwat prompted me to this thread. if d person wants to hav it, den why not newayz im proud of ma son and i hope to see many mor fella 9ja who r keen to preserve der rich and unique culture and heritage, that is, if dey have d guts to do so. cool
Re: Tribal Markings by snowdrops(m): 7:49pm On Jun 13, 2011
out of curiosity how old is your son?
does he realize how painful it might be in the short term and risk of scarring permanently long term.
has he had alternative views from people against tribal marks?
Re: Tribal Markings by r231(m): 7:58pm On Jun 13, 2011
;d :d

Re: Tribal Markings by tpia5: 9:48pm On Jun 13, 2011
^^can you post a better view of that girl's face?

i want to see her from another angle.

or, can you post the link- maybe they'll have more photos there.

i'm looking at her eyelashes, in case you were wondering. I guess they're real.
Re: Tribal Markings by tpia5: 9:55pm On Jun 13, 2011
i think most tribal marks these days are limited to these types:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabman1/4365759475/

[img]http://3.bp..com/_7A7sIzssPcg/S5UXgZC-NhI/AAAAAAAAAO0/EH8b9bTznwM/s1600/belinda.jpg[/img]

i hope, that is.

more medicinal than otherwise.

i'm more or less indifferent, really, but i dont think the practice is as widespread as before.
Re: Tribal Markings by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:37pm On Jun 13, 2011
snowdrops:

out of curiosity how old is your son?
does he realize how painful it might be in the short term and risk of scarring permanently long term.
has he had alternative views from people against tribal marks?

my son is old enough, but den ofcourse ill not be letting him do it till he comes of age. we will perform d markings with a well-known person who is experienced at this sort of work. and my son it more like a tatoo than a scar. and some of his friends do discourage, and even some of mine and he knows it, but he still wants to continue wit d age-old custom. i think we must stop getting so jumpy about it. i mean, when u r grown up enough, u learn to bear pain. also, d pains not long term, and we r not going to do extensive markings, just simple ones that can be distinguishable and dat look good. even i have had dat done on me and i dont feel any pain. so y bother.  undecided undecided

(1) (Reply)

Instruction in Igbo? / Photos Of New Ooni Of Ife Receiving The Oranmiyan's Sword / Wukari Federation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.