Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,405 members, 7,800,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Nigerians And Chieftancy Title Mentality - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians And Chieftancy Title Mentality (2358 Views)

Atiku Abubakar Bags Chieftancy Title In Ekiti(see Photos) / Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents / Photos From Zizi Cardow's Chieftancy Conferment In Abia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Chieftancy Title Mentality by tundewoods(m): 6:00am On Jul 28, 2007
Now i've always wondered my Nigerians are particularly crazy about chieftancy titles,with folks from the West and East being the most guilty of this mentality.

Whats the big deal about these chieftancy titles!We read in the papers evryday how people loose their lives due to these vanity driven menace.Why cant we just ignore this norm and behave like the western world where everyone is equal.

Some years ago Former Rivers state gov. Peter Odili spent Millions for a chieftancy title in Ile Ife,during his Presidential bid era.It was televised life on AIT and some other hungry TV stations.

I'm sick and tired of hearing Chief this and Chief that !! Lets face culture or no culture,these chieftancy title will only increase pride,greed & ultimatley corruption in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians And Chieftancy Title Mentality by StephenP(m): 6:06am On Jul 28, 2007
You are absolutely right! Some Nigerians want to be called Chief Rector Engineer Professor Doctor Mr/Mrs _____  It's an absurd culture that needs reform and real soon!
Re: Nigerians And Chieftancy Title Mentality by LadyGodiva(f): 6:01am On Jul 30, 2007
that is one bad thing about Naija. Too many people want big names, and lose sight of what's really important
Re: Nigerians And Chieftancy Title Mentality by tasiana(m): 10:24am On Jul 30, 2007
StephenP:

You are absolutely right! Some Nigerians want to be called Chief Rector Engineer Professor Doctor Mr/Mrs _____  It's an absurd culture that needs reform and real soon!
please dnt leave out  MON,OFR,FSS,OON,GCON,HIV ,V VF etc.
Re: Nigerians And Chieftancy Title Mentality by romeo(m): 1:26pm On Jul 30, 2007
tundewoods:

Why can't we just ignore this norm and behave like the western world where everyone is equal.

hmmmmmm some Nigerians are still dreaming of becoming white people!!

whatever happened to the British knighthood? sir this, sir that!!
all the nobles of the European society? prince this, prince that? counts, countesses, dukes, duchesses, their this and their that

mr. i want to be like oyibo it is called culture and the west u want to be like have theirs and we will keep ours
Re: Nigerians And Chieftancy Title Mentality by N101: 8:11pm On Feb 23, 2010
romeo:

whatever happened to the British knighthood? sir this,  sir that!!
all the nobles of the European society? prince this, prince that? counts, countesses, dukes, duchesses, their this and their that

mr. i want to be like oyibo it is called culture and the west u want to be like have theirs and we will keep ours

Ah but you fail to realise that you can't buy a lot of these titles.  Even if you can they probably won't be recognised outside of the certificate issued, let alone in any other country.  You definitely can't buy a "sir". 

Neither have I ever met anyone in the West who was an engineer known as "Engineer" - it simply isn't seen as a title in the West.  In any case, how many people in the Western world know a Sir somebody, Lord this or Prince that? VERY VERY few.  However I'm sure between the two of us we know a lot of chiefs.

While I understand the point you're trying to make, you simply can't compare the African situation with the Western one.
Re: Nigerians And Chieftancy Title Mentality by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:26am On Oct 22, 2010
^^^^

Title holding is different in different African cultures and nations,

There are certainly some cultures within Nigeria where titles are not easy to obtain or extremely widespread,

And I'm not sure that a lot of other African countries have the unfortunate situation of having engineers use their profession as a title. If they don't have a doctorate they usually just shut up, In a place where PhDs are abundant this will be the norm, however in a place where engineers are rare an engineer will be seen as more than he really is,
Re: Nigerians And Chieftancy Title Mentality by ifyalways(f): 9:08am On Oct 22, 2010
romeo:

whatever happened to the British knighthood? sir this, sir that!!

I miss u. sad

(1) (Reply)

The Dying Legend Of The Kofar Mata Dye Pits / Is The Igbo Language Complete? / Late Oba Of Ife Sir Adesoji Aderemi Shaking Hands With Sir Wiston Churchill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.