Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? (11665 Views)

It's Wise To Rent A House During Rainy Season In Lagos (photo) / A Luxury 6units 3bedroom Flat Newly Build To Let @ Sholuyi Gbagada 1yr, (pics). / A Luxury 4bedroom Duplex + BQ (newly Build) To Let @ Magodo Phase 2 (pics). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Reflector: 2:50pm On Jun 14, 2011
What do you think?
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 14, 2011
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Reflector: 3:18pm On Jun 14, 2011
Hmm okay but let me put some figures down.

The popular residential apartment building of 4 flats, 3 bedroom each in a 1 storey building cost about NGN20 million to build this is excluding the cost of Land. Assumming you took a bank loan at 20% per annum you would be paying an interest of NGN 4 million per annum meaning you have to charge a minimum rent of NGN 1million per flat in order to pay back the interest on that loan.

If the property is in Lekki axis no wahala but if on mainland you probably cannot get more than 500k per flat as rent per year. At this rate you need to find another N2 million every year to meet up the interest payment and it would take 10 years to recoup your investment.

Does it still sound like a good investment?
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 14, 2011
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by DIPUU2LIFE(m): 4:43pm On Jun 14, 2011
I did a survey in 2000 that showed that you can get your money back in 30 years.
what i mean is, if you spent a 100M on a project, you are likely to wait the next 30 years to get a total return with the same purchasing power as the initial capital (100M) on the thirtieth year.

Building to rent may be a holding down bolt for your money. It may be a good social asset.
But its definitely not a good investment on the mainland.

However, if you were to have a lot of money to build super luxury apartments in the very high income - low density areas in Nigeria, especially in lagos and abuja, you will get your money in less than 5-years in dollars on high rises. But this is a great risk if you don't set the project up well.

Building on the mainland for rent is a waste of time.

Build sweet houses by engineers with eyes for finesse, and you will sell the building at at least 25% return

If as an instance you are able to invest about 35M on a very neatly built twin duplex of 4-flats arrangement, excluding land, you can turn this around at least 2 times in a year so that the total ROI is about 50%

say 30 to 38, then 35 - 42. at the end of the year you now have a balance of 45 which indicates about 50% returns.

Do not  be told that houses are no more selling, that the market is congested.
A lot of people are still buying, they are only buying the nicely build houses and they pay well for them.

Your marketing of the buildings start as soon as construction starts. before you finish you have sold.

Its better to turn around your money over and over than to keep them tied down.
in fact an el-rufai can demolish, even with your c of o.

if you have the money, choose a viable land, build right and beautifully and sell.
you can also start small. A bungalow for 5m + 2mland and sell at 8.5m at least 3 times a year as the proven construction program for a bungalow including external works is well under 2-months.

some local areas are also in vogue now. shasha in iyanaipaja has some ugly looking flats for sale in an estate for 22M each and can you imagine that they have finish sales and have request, i mean down payments for more of them. the flats are on the regular 4 flats arrangement built with the alhaji-alhaji method of construction that usually ends up at 20M max for 4 flats. 22X4=88.  88-20 = 66 - 5m(shasha land) = 51. this is a real example of how to make money through property development anywhere.

LET YOUR MONEY WORK FOR YOU. DON'T TIE YOUR YATCH TO A JETTY FOR 30 YEARS.

grin grin I HOPE I DID NOT SAY TOO MUCH grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Reflector: 7:49pm On Jun 14, 2011
Indeed the secret in real estate business is building to sell or buy and sell. However if you drive along lekki road you would see lots of estates developed during the stock market boom when people were making money from stock and using to buy apartments. With the crash of the stock market buyers have dried up. I know a particular estate after lekki 3rd roundabout where 3 bedroom flats were being sold for 65million, now the price has crashed to 45million and yet buyers are not flocking to pick up the properties.

The build and sell market is very dicy now but may pick up in future.
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Reflector: 8:59am On Jun 15, 2011
From my analysis average yield on apartments for rent is between 8 to 10%.

Yield is calculated as follows:

Total Annual Rent from the apartments X 100

Note that total cost of building includes the cost of land, associated levies and taxes, construction cost, finishing, fittings cost etc in summary the entire money spent on developing the property.

With a yield of 8 to 10%, payback time is from 10 to 12.5 years.

Do you own apartments for rent? What is the yield on your apartments?
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by DIPUU2LIFE(m): 10:04am On Jun 15, 2011
reflector,
how about the actual value of the money.
the return after 12 years cant purchase the same things like it would before you start the project.
if you built with 10M and you were able to get it back in 12 years. you will not be able to build the same house with 10M.
you might need 15M. sot to get 15M you would meet up in, say, 18 years and by then 15M cant build the house.
its like that until you get to 30years.

i think you might want to consider inflation rate in your calculation and then compare it with selling during the same period.

1 Like

Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Reflector: 10:35am On Jun 15, 2011
Dipuu2life true the amount used in building a house 10 years ago would not build the same house today, but then also the rent on the house would not remain constant for 10 years. Somehow rent increases over the years tend to maintain the value of money spent in building.

If at the intial stage a 10 year payback was calculated, if you add up all the rents received in the ten year period it should be enough to build that same property again, remember rents take into cognisance inflation.

For example 10years ago rent for a 3 bedroom flat was 130k per annum, cement then was 620 per bag, today the same apartment rents for 450k per annum and cement is about 1.9k per bag, both have gone up 3 fold in 10 years.
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by DIPUU2LIFE(m): 11:01am On Jun 15, 2011
ok.
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Reflector: 11:47am On Jun 15, 2011
The reason why I created this thread is to encourage people to do proper analysis before they jump into the real estate business. Current interest rates charged by banks make it suicidal to take a loan and use in building for rent. However if you have your own bulk money or have some spare funds every month you can indeed invest in build to rent.

The properties are cash cow if well developed (built with quality fittings to reduce maintenance cost) and would provide you the much needed extra income when you retire (Pension is about 40% or less of you last salary).

And for those currently staying in rented apartments and believing their landlords are shylocks, do realise that even with the rent he is charging it would take an average of 10 years or more to recoup the initial capital outlay, meanwhile he would have to carry out regular maintenance.

For me build to rent is a good long term investment but if you need quick return on investment then build and sell is the answer, anywhich way guage your market, know what people want and build accordingly. For instance duplexes are not so popular in PH, most are vacant for 2 yeasr or more, so I would not advice you to build a duplex for rent in PH.
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by snowdrops(m): 4:19pm On Jun 15, 2011
loving the thread and would follow keenly.

seems the consensus is buying/building in Lekki and not on mainland. i wonder why this is.
also newer and more appealing houses would naturally fetch more rent than older houses.

what are peoples` views on buying an older house on the cheap, then spend some money to upgrade it, before selling/renting.
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by daroz(m): 4:25pm On Jun 15, 2011
Building a house for rent is a good long term investment, but i don't consider it a good business cos its returns are usually very slow and small, in comparison to when u invest the cash in other business. But having a landed property can actually be seen as a safe haven for your money instead of leaving it there at the bank, cos house in Nigeria hardly depreciate.
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by snowdrops(m): 4:37pm On Jun 15, 2011
daroz:

Building a house for rent is a good long term investment, but i don't consider it a good business cos its returns are usually very slow and small, in comparison to when u invest the cash in other business. But having a landed property can actually be seen as a safe haven for your money instead of leaving it there at the bank, cos house in Nigeria hardly depreciate.
very true.

ps; are you in benin city and austria at the same time cheesy
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Fhemmmy: 5:18pm On Jun 15, 2011
I thought you were the same gentleman that started a thread about if financially wise to build a house?
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by dejia(m): 5:23pm On Jun 15, 2011
lovely thread.

I think especially for those abroad, looking at moving to Nigeria in 3-8years or in the future, building and renting out is the safest business u can do in Nigeria , that u are sure, of your money, if u try to import cars or any other thing, u stand a big risk.

I will build and rent out in cities like abuja that has lots of potentials, presently in apo Mechanic village, u can get about 100sqm land for about 1M, build a shop and a flat ontop of it, in total u will spend about 6M; U will get rental of about 1M yearly ( the shop is about 600k the 2bedroom will go for 400k) and u sure that ur rental will definately go up  by at least 15% after 2years.

I see building to rent as a way of saving money instead of making a fixed deposit in the bank
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by chxCanada(m): 5:33pm On Jun 15, 2011
Personally I believe it is better to build a house for rent than to invest in stocks.

1. A house is a long-term investment that would last into old age and can be passed down to the children and children's children.
2. Houses do not depreciate and rents would always be on the increase.
3. In you old age when you are unable to work the house rents would keep you going better than any pension plan
4. My Dad was a contractor and for many years he could not find a contract, the eight 2-bedroom flats he had paid for our feeding, university education and today all his six children are abroad, even in his old age.
5. If you are looking for quick money please do not invest in housing.
6. There would always be demand for rental houses and nobody can talk me out of building for rent. I hope to have as many as I can and when I am old, by the grace of God, and too weak to work my many houses would pay my bills better than any pension plan

2 Likes

Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by kabukabu(m): 5:55pm On Jun 15, 2011
My question is why only Lagos and Abuja?Im sure in the future a lot of suburbs in cities like Benin,Warri and Asaba will be prime for rental development,Anyone who has an idea of what the market is in these areas,how is it right now?
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Select(m): 5:56pm On Jun 15, 2011
chxCanada:

Personally I believe it is better to build a house for rent than to invest in stocks.

1. A house is a long-term investment that would last into old age and can be passed down to the children and children's children.
2. Houses do not depreciate and rents would always be on the increase.
3. In you old age when you are unable to work the house rents would keep you going better than any pension plan
4. My Dad was a contractor and for many years he could not find a contract, the eight 2-bedroom flats he had paid for our feeding, university education and today all his six children are abroad, even in his old age.
5. If you are looking for quick money please do not invest in housing.
6. There would always be demand for rental houses and nobody can talk me out of building for rent. I hope to have as many as I can and when I am old, by the grace of God, and too weak to work my many houses would pay my bills better than any pension plan

That's a good plan u have there.

@ All,
          For those who are contemplating to start building, u can pls get across for the processing of ur Building Plan Approvals, or any Land-related matters.
          I am a Town Planning Officer with the Lagos State Govt., and work in one of the District Planning Offfices. I can help out with the processing within Lagos and Ogun States.
                Pls get across via-  select500@yahoo.com
                 Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by sojioguns(m): 6:00pm On Jun 15, 2011
This is one of the smartest topic with smart inputs from posters. Bravo guys!
I have never been a fan of building to rent (I am using the mainland as analysis because I have always stayed there). Growing up my old man had a couple of houses and collected little rent. I call that humanitarian work because such amounts tied down can easily be turned over/invested otherwise.
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by badpeople: 6:10pm On Jun 15, 2011
On my own opinion, i will strongly advised that building to rent is a bad bussines, follow me on these;
First, is the responsibility of our leaders to build houses all over and rent for people with cheaper rates, but because we have lazy and shortsight rogues leaders in govt that is why we citizen now see building house for rent as a bussines.

Take this for consideration, assuming you invested your last dime to build an 8flat storey building, thats means you have 8 ocupants, after you received 2yrs rent from them, they don,t have anything to do with you until expiration now agreed you eject them or they eject themselves at the end of the agreement, on renovation of the house to look back as it was originally, i bet, you will spend half of the rent you collected cos renovation is expensive

Now, there are series of viable bussines like build a hall for renting i.e. parties,seminars, church and so on
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by DisGuy: 6:19pm On Jun 15, 2011
In the Nigerian sense the ROI is definitely for your Children or Grandchildren even, the gestation period is just too long, I'm not sure if you can get a loan off your house to do other business as well most especially if you are borrowing to build.

I've been studying buy-to let in the UK, so many advantages if you get a good property in a good location, you can make money off your house before you even pay off the whole mortgage
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by baconline(m): 6:22pm On Jun 15, 2011
bad people:

On my own opinion, i will strongly advised that building to rent is a bad bussines, follow me on these;
First, is the responsibility of our leaders to build houses all over and rent for people with cheaper rates, but because we have lazy and shortsight rogues leaders in govt that is why we citizen now see building house for rent as a bussines.

Take this for consideration, assuming you invested your last dime to build an 8flat storey building, thats means you have 8 ocupants, after you received 2yrs rent from them, they don,t have anything to do with you until expiration now agreed you eject them or they eject themselves at the end of the agreement, on renovation of the house to look back as it was originally, i bet, you will spend half of the rent you collected cos renovation is expensive

Now, there are series of viable bussines like build a hall for renting i.e. parties,seminars, church and so on

I agree totally
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Fhemmmy: 6:31pm On Jun 15, 2011
bad people:

Now matter how you look at it, a building is still a great investment.
See the people selling a plot of land in Ajah for 50M naira, how much do you think they paid for those lands 10 years ago? . . . think about it
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by baconline(m): 6:36pm On Jun 15, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Now matter how you look at it, a building is still a great investment.
See the people selling a plot of land in Ajah for 50M naira, how much do you think they paid for those lands 10 years ago? . . . think about it

land is a good investment not building
land appreciate ,buildings deppreciate

1 Like

Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Fhemmmy: 6:41pm On Jun 15, 2011
baconline:

land is a good investment not building
land appreciate ,buildings deppreciate

Depreciation still holding better value than what you spent when you built the home . . . . .
You spent 20M Naira to build a home where a rent could 400K a year and you build 6 block of flats . . . now tell me how long it will take you to realize your money back and yet have the house still as yours, and you are still making money on a yearly basis.
By the way, when a tenant leave and you have to renovate, how much would it cost you, remember those are bricks and only paint or fix doors and lighting, so i have no idea what kinda money you have to spend that will be so terrible.
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by snowdrops(m): 6:43pm On Jun 15, 2011
Fhemmmy:

I thought you were the same gentleman that started a thread about if financially wise to build a house?
if you were referring to me, i cant remember if i ever started such a thread. i might well have done as i am so much interested in properties especially for investment.
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Fhemmmy: 6:44pm On Jun 15, 2011
snowdrops:

if you were referring to me, i cant remember if i ever started such a thread. i might well have done as i am so much interested in properties especially for investment.

Referring to Reflector . . . . not you, Chief
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by snowdrops(m): 6:46pm On Jun 15, 2011
sorry boss. thanks for the correction. cool
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by Fhemmmy: 6:48pm On Jun 15, 2011
snowdrops:

sorry boss. thanks for the correction. cool
\

Boss Ke, Na you be the man oh . . . and i hail
Re: Is Build To Rent A Good Investment? by baconline(m): 6:52pm On Jun 15, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Depreciation still holding better value than what you spent when you built the home . . . . .
You spent 20M Naira to build a home where a rent could 400K a year and you build 6 block of flats . . . now tell me how long it will take you to realize your money back and yet have the house still as yours, and you are still making money on a yearly basis.
By the way, when a tenant leave and you have to renovate, how much would it cost you, remember those are bricks and only paint or fix doors and lighting, so i have no idea what kinda money you have to spend that will be so terrible.

a building has a life span,renovation could be quite expensive,even then d building depreciates.Concretes life span is 25yrs then it starts to lose strenght,so if u have a 20yr house and u think its like new, sorry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire / Westwood Park Estate 2 #12M C Of O #FEAR NO MORE, WELCOME TO PROMISE HOME /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.