Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 (3964 Views)

What Are These Pregnant Women Doing In NYSC Camp(pic) / My Nysc 2014 Batch C Camp Experience(pictures) / Otondos, Share Your First-day Camp Experience! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 5:35pm On Jun 14, 2011
Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough - George Bernard Shaw.

¤It has truly been a loonnngggg wait for me, been kept 'kinda idle' for a couple of months spanning January to June but the wait is almost over and it feels so good having been mobilized for the upcoming NYSC Batch B 2011 and to tell you I am not eager for it to start would amount to telling a lie cos I am tired of not being 'real busy'.

¤This journal is originaly intended to cover MAINLY the 3weeks in camp IN ORDER TO SERVE AS A GUIDE TO PROSPECTIVE CORP MEMBERS WHO MIGHT BE SEARCHING FOR INFO SAME WAY I DID AS TO WHAT THE SERVICE YEAR ESPECIALLY THE CAMPING LOOKS LIKE but I would keep it decorated with the 3weeks of events preceeding the actual camping covering my preparations, travel plans, school stay, receiving of callup letter and then the real deal.

¤Sorry for any typographical error and inconsistencies in my posts cos I am on mobile. Everything written here are solely my opinions and strictly my experiences, so enjoy your reading and come back for some updates sooooon!
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 8:37pm On Jun 14, 2011
>Had my Primary and Secondary education in Lagos but moved across the Niger River for my Tetiary education (Abia state to be precise). Studied in a Nigerian Federal University and proud to have graduated in record time and with good grades in an Engineering discipline (na God ooo).

>The whole of last week was spent purchasing the needed items (white vests, white shorts, a pair of white sneakers etc) for camp since it is rumoured that kits ranging from vests to shoes given in camp are of low quality.

>Spent today planning my journey back to school hoping to make a brief stop at Owerri, Imo state for a little flexing with my guys. Make I go chop abeg, I don try 4 today.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 7:01am On Jun 16, 2011
>So tired I couldnt update yesterday. It was the POP eve of 2010 batch B NYSC members and I happen to have a good number of childhood friends among them passing out.
>Hooked up with 3 of them passing out and 3 others and we drove to one of our favourite spots. We popped a bottle of wine to wish them better days ahead and more red wine, beer, malt and even soft drinks were ordered. Boiz got tipsy and the happiness grew intense coupled with alot of arguments and jesting.
>We all dispersed after about 3hours there. I got home, too tired to eat or have my bath and zoomed off to dreamland.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 8:29pm On Jun 17, 2011
>The day started with a heavy downpour, kai I hate wet days! Couldnt go out on time to purchase the remaining items with respect to ma journey. Na wa 4 Lagos, left home and it took me almost 3hrs for a normal 45mins journey without d traffic jam.
>Finally got to the market located behind Mandillas (thats where I shop as a 'street boi'), spent less than 30mins there and headed back home. Quite impressed with a sunglass (or is it sunshade) I bought. The glass 'make brain'!
>Got home within an hour but was surprised I wasnt tired. Quickly packed my bags BUT on a second thought decided not to travel tomorrow reason bin that I've got a mild cold and didnt want to travel when I wasn't 100% fit.
>My journey has been postponed till only God knows when cos I havent reached a conclusion on the new date. For now, let me keep listening to and watching the song 'Attention' by 2shotz Ft. Brymo (cool song if u ask me). ¤wink¤
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 1:35am On Jun 20, 2011
>Had a few hours of sleep not due to anxiety but just an unexplained inability to sleep. It was very short, lastin about 3hours - the resultant effect being a severe headache.
>Since I had much time at my disposal, I took my bath and dressed up leisurely. Left home for the bus park at about 5:35am and after spending well over 2hours there, finally boarded a bus bound for Eastern Nigeria. Boi! the journey was not a pleasurable one because I was sandwiched between two XL-sized individuals (a lady in her mid tweenties to my left and a guy in his early thirties to my right).
>Setting this aside, the journey was ok but I still wished I had 10 times my bus fare to pay for a flight ticket.
>Travelling through towns after towns, cities after cities and villages after villages could be quite exciting and I love it! We made a major stop at a popular gas station (on the Benin-Asaba expressway) to fuel our tommies alongside stretching our legs and then proceeded with the journey, making a second stop in Delta state to fuel the car tanks. After a lonnggg journey that started at 8:09a.m, we arrived Umuahia some minutes before 7p.m and I boarded another bus that took me to my final destination. In all, the whole trip was a success all thanks to God's Mercies!
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 11:03am On Jun 22, 2011
>Monday was a day set aside for resting, stayed indoors all thru the day. Watched movies and listened to music, I enjoyed every bit of the day.
>Tuesday started on a good note. Went visiting my former roomie at his lodge, we chatted and he updated me on both past and recent happenings. He offered me 'kola' in form of a canned malt (though I would have prefered a bottle of Moet grin ).
I also made out time to see my old flames, met two of them - u need to see as love hold them - na only talk talk we do, we didnt run any packages.
>Before I forget, earlier in the day, I hocked up wit my AutoCAD tutor and finalized plans with him to commence classes by tomorrow (this was a major reason why I came back so early to school). Would stop here for now.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 1:52am On Jun 24, 2011
>Woke up quite early, hurridly took a shower and rushed into school without breakfast. Quickly located my training class at about 12noon, started lectures after 20minutes of waiting and spent 3hours learning. The class was interesting and i learnt alot, next class was fixed for 7pm thursday night.
>Walking out of the class, I realised I had the whole day left to myself and spent it visiting. I forgot to add that I went visiting a female friend yesterday and left my 'almighty' music earpiece there, gosh! I almost cried cos I can hardly do without music and getting to meet her at home is akin to passing JAMB.
>Retired home for the night, did a little laundry, enjoyed 3hours of online chat and drifted into sleep hoping tomorrow would be a better day.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 2:11am On Jun 24, 2011
>Typing this was done in the early hours of Friday at about 1:57am and I cannot explain why sleep has eluded me.
>Yesterday would have been boring cos I stayed indoors from morning till 6:30pm. I had an unexpected and at the same time special visit from a lady I would address as 'V' (as thats what I call her), a very good friend (more of a sweetheart). She livened up my day, played 'rough' with me and capped it all by preparing noodles for both of us.
>As evening gradually drew near, I hurriedly took my bath, slipped into my cloths and walked down to school seeing  'V' off and at the same time heading for my AutoCAD class which started at 7:10pm and ended some minutes past 9pm.
>Would be spending the nite in the male hostel with an old friend in his finals. Had garrion sulphate as dinner since it was the most accessible and easiest food to make. Finally closed my eyes at some minutes past 2a.m having callup letter as the last thing on my mind.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 10:47pm On Jun 25, 2011
>This was my first weekend in skul and probably the last because callup letter is slated to arrive by next week and i would migrate same week.
>i visited a friend that stays very far from my home but is only accessible by foot. for old time sake, i resolved to make the journey. started the long trek which was to last not less than 30minutes.
>Just finished my class for today and boi - i am dead hungry! ate 2packs of noodles at about 12noon and dat was almost 11hours ago. While waiting for dinner to be ready, me and some other friends settled for the latest PES Soccer version on PC, I was really in top form tonite trashing opponent after opponent though I lost the first game. Just had dinner at almost 12midnight - need to dash back to defend my chairmanship in PES!
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 9:32pm On Jun 27, 2011
>Today was the first day in the much awaited 'Callup Week'. Though the letter certainly has left the NYSC headquarters, it is believed at the moment to be in transit to its various destinations (or regions) and might arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday in the universities.
> Met with friends I hadn't seen in months all looking fresh, well fed and relaxed. I spent a larger part of the day 'chasing' my statement of result. Finally collected it after a 4hour chase. I proceeded to laminate it (still not sure if it was a right move) though I had read sometime ago that laminated copies of some clases of documents are usually rejected - but this was just a statement of result and not the main thing.
>At about 3pm, a friend and I proceeded to have our lunch at a part of school known as the Food Village. The trek was not an easy one because we were very tired but finally got there in a few minutes, took our seats and ordered for two plates of garri supported by vegetable soup and soft drinks - it was highly needed.
>Its night time now - lest I forget, there was no tutorial tonight so I used the period to get my cloths ironed (a man has got to look sweet). Presently listening to music by BankyW, Lami, MI, Wande C, Naeto C and others while stylishly waiting for dinner being prepared by my host to be ready. Tomorrow looks promising, praying for better days ahead.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 10:31pm On Jun 29, 2011
>Yesterday was when the callup letters arrived. After all the long wait, finally it was here. I was strolling casualy with 3 other friends down the foot path leading to the administrative block when we received a notification that the list was out and pasted at the student affairs block!
>We hurridly walked down to the building and truly the list was there. Tales of woes and Shouts of joy could be heard in every quarters (omo, them post people go violent prone states ooo).
>My closest pal was posted up north (his plant to serve in lagos didn't work) - very sad. I got lucky and was posted to the South South, precisely Delta state.
>Tried collecting the letter but it was very difficult. Gave up the idea of getting it that day after a very long wait, was really tired so I had to head home to rest. Definitely going to get it tomorrow.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 6:59pm On Jul 04, 2011
SORRY I HAVENT BEEN UPDATING
> It hasn't been an easy walk, been dead busy moving all through the southern part of Naija. Finally got my callup letter on Wednesday after waiting from 8a.m to 5.30pm. Got home, brooded over the unfavourable postings of some friends and also finalized plans for my journey to P.H billed for Thursday, then slowly (but in a very tired and hungry mood) drifted into sleep.
>Thursday wasn't funny atall o. Had to track an H.R manager at Transamadi but the rain was making my search for the location very difficult. I had to wait at the reception for roughly 3hrs (unnecessary over zealousness of the receptionist) but excused myself to go hang out at a spot I 'discovered' while trying to locate the company. settled down to a plate of yam and plantain (both roasted), a big fish and a bottle of cold drink - it was refreshing. Finally met with the H.R manager 3hrs later and was told my runz wouldn't work at present. ¤Make I go restrategize!¤
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 7:11pm On Jul 04, 2011
>This was my second weekend in Umuahia and I decided to spend it in an aunt's place in Enyimba City (the commercial nerve center of Abia state). Started the journey in the afternoon and arrived just before dinner, before I forget, what I enjoy the most about this place is the serene environment and very good food. As an undergraduate, it was my home away from home where I am not disturbed by hunger, any assignment or my noisy friends. Enjoyed my stay there which started on Friday and by Sunday I took my leave cos I had to tidy up every thing related to NYSC camp.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 8:55pm On Jul 04, 2011
>The night before the camp is finally here, I forgot to mention that 2 colleagues in electrical dept and 1 in computer science dept that graduated from same school as mine were also posted to Delta state. Haven't heard from both guys but I called the female to know what her plans are (preferential treatment) and when she'ld be showing up in camp.
>Presently writing from NAU,Awka because I reasoned it would be easier making the journey in two parts -first from Umuahia to Onitsha/Awka (approximately 3hrs) on Monday and Awka to Issele-Uku camp location (which should be about 2hrs) on Tuesday morning. This would save me the stress of a 5hr long travel on Tuesday morning, help me arrive early and I'ld still look fresh and alive while queuing up for registration.
>Just had noodles for dinner, a cold shower and about to 'ping on my nokia' ¤wink¤
Tomorrow would kick start the real camp experience!
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 2:10pm On Jul 05, 2011
>Got into camp somehow early at about 8:30am, it wasn't difficult locating it cos bikes were in abundance to pick the corpers from the bus park to the camp. We were searched at the gate, prohited items were seized, number tags issued and we set off to get a bed space.
>I got assigned to a large room having 14bunks and having a clear view to a major road leading further into camp. Next was time for registration which entails picking up the other half of the callup letter (the counterfoil) and queuing up for computer registration before the platoon registration and finally issuing of kits. I have only been able to complete the first out of the four steps not due to laziness or shakara but because the line is constantly been 'disorganized' by the soldiers telling us to change location/queuing arrangement. Hopefully before nightfall, I should have done all processes. For now, make I go rest.
-Its night time now and I just came back from Manny but not much was achieved today since I couldn't advance past stage one of the registration process. Hopefully tomorrow I should make progress.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 12:37pm On Aug 11, 2011
Haven't updated in over one month reasons being that while in camp it was difficult getting my battery charged coupled with poor GPRS network. Also, I took ill on the last week on camp and it lasted for an additional 2weeks after camp but all the events that took place were recorded in writing and will be placed right here shortly. Thanks 4 your undastanding.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 3:38pm On Aug 13, 2011
-Started the day with me and hundreds of others that were yet to register flooding the registration office as early as 3:30am but I personaly got there at 4:20am (while you were still snoring). It was a scary queue having over 1000 prospective corpers waiting and at about 6:00am, the Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) ordered all prospective corpers to appear at the parade ground for morning devotion and learning of the NYSC Anthem.
-Just left the queue and took a short break 2 my room and discovered that almost everyone has been registered since they didn't observe 'due process' at the queue, so I resolved to get registered at all cost today.
-I finally got registered at about 6pm after waiting for hours under sun and drizzles. It was a worthwhile struggle because getting good kits depends much on getting registered early. I was given my registration number at same office and them proceeded to the next office to write my name in two books; the first was for getting a meal ticket and the second was the 'Book of Life' (heard corpers gave it that name) which contained spaces for filling in important info about oneself. It was cited as a very important document to fill.
-Proceeded to the Platoon Stands for my kits and from my registration number, I was in platoon 5. In line waiting for my kits and I got a light tap on my shoulder, it was a young lady wanting to know what platoon it was and I told her she was in the right place. We chatted a little then I got her chuckling and blushing cos I told her would represent the platoon for Miss NYSC, got to my turn where I was handed the kits but the jungle boots and white shoes were undersize so I quickly searched around and made an exchange with a lady who had a larger size. Only succeeded in changing my jungle boots today but I'm hoping for better luck tomorrow.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 8:45am On Aug 15, 2011
-My first day in uniform will be today and it is also doubles as the Swearing In Ceremony. Appeared on the parade ground at 5am and easily located my Platoon where we did the usual activities of morning devotion, NYSC Anthem and matching rehearsals were done by the 'older' corpers who registered early and we the new ones were taught the basics under drizzles of rain in preparation for the ceremony. After that we had to nominate and elect our Platoon Representatives comprising a male and a female fellow corpers to oversee the running of the platoon.
-The ceremony has ended and picture taking was next in our 6/7 (the Ceremonial attire goes without the 7th item which is the jacket) and we were no longer prospective but confirmed corp members, such a nice feeling. I moved next to complete my registration in the Book of Life and thereafter get my meal ticket which entitles me to 'government food' as a 'govt pikin' (I have been eating at mammy for 3days and this is gradually running me down). Lemme stop here cos I've got laundry to do.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 9:40am On Aug 15, 2011
-Today was unusual and different from the normal morning routine cos it started with light drills after the meditation and we were then told to file up in fours for jogging. A commander (soldier) and two assistants (man-o-war officials) were attached to each platoon and we were coordinated towards the camp gate for onward jogging to the right hand side of the road leading into camp. A distance of about 1km was covered and we turned around jogging back towards camp. Getting back, we did some stretches and dancing competition before being dismissed for bath and breakfast.
-Just back from the lecture where we were taught about the objectives of the NYSC scheme and cultural interaction/integration within any community we find ourselves.
-During the evening parade, we had no marching or drills but discussions were held on platoon basis where we nominated representatives for Miss Camp, Mr Macho, Mr Camp, Miss NYSC and those to participate in football and volleyball. Finally, we were dismissed for the night.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 6:05pm On Aug 16, 2011
-At the parade ground today, four male corpers 'don buy job' - as is usually said by our RSM -  they were caught in various hostels while others were at the parade ground. They brought their mattresses on their heads to the parade ground and were told to lie on it in front of 3000 other corpers (no be small matter o) and they were captured on picture and video camera. Very embarrassing if you ask me.
-After breakfast, it was time to collect Personal Files for completion and submission and also submission of completed Identity cards and a copy of the NYSC Pledge. Completed my file in a short time and came back to the room to hear that our Transport Allowance of #1500 was being paid and this was confirmed to be true. Since the queue was a short one, I collected mine and took a male friend I address as 'Dangote' to Mammy where we had a meal and drinks (it doesn't pay to be stingy). The Mammy was unusually full tonight (awoof money don enta) with people eating suya, drinking, jiving and gyrating. Tonight would be our Welcome Party!
-The party started at 9:30pm (that's actually when I got there) with the D.J jamming nice songs and the camp director opened the dance floor delivering nice steps to some old school tunes. I spent most of the night hanging out with a guy from my platoon and two beauties from my university. There was an interplatoon dancing competition in addition to jokes, riddles and other activities but the party was cut short at about 11pm by either a mixer or speaker malfunction - Too bad, the party ended prematurely. In my room now and preparing to sleep, it's lights out already.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 12:11pm On Aug 18, 2011
-Today being Sunday was spent in church and the service ended at about 12noon. I got to my room, dropped my bible and headed off to Mammy to fix my shoe but wasn't fortunate enough to see a shoemender. On my return journey to the hostel, I came across my female friend 'Hex' walking with her sister, we exchanged pleasantries and I asked Hex if we could spend the rest of the day together to which she obliged. Lest I forget, sundays are usually 'free' and visitors are allowed to come around to see the corpers.
-I got a message at about 3pm from Hex saying we should meet at the assembly hall. Got there and we chatted for sometime before I offered to buy her a drink making us head to Mammy where I bought apples instead and went back to the hall. A very gentle but vocal babe she is and we spent 4 long hours together before we both went to the laundry man to pick up her clothes. Saw here off to her hostel where we said numerous nice words to each other before parting. Just heard tomorrow is jogging, make I go sleep.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 2:26pm On Aug 18, 2011
-The day is gradually winding to a close, today was our second jogging but the distance was shorter (roughly 500m), next was breakfast and then the HIV/AIDS Lecture lasting 3hrs. It was educative with a special attraction being the demonstration of the use of male and female latex contraceptive (atleast those slept throughout the lecture woke up when it got to this).
-Just woke up from my afternoon nap which I took after taking the passport photograph that would be used for the State Corpers Magazine and also my lunch at Mammy. The afternoon is slated for parades but there would be rehearsals for social activities (dancing & drama), sporting activities (volleyball & football training) and today is the start of the Man-O-War activities which are presently ongoing as I write starting with platoon 1 and would move numerically through all the platoons. The Talent Hunt Show (jokes, music, drama, mimming etc) is slated for tonight,
-Just came back from the talent hunt show where there was comedy, dance and music, made more sense than the welcome party and I enjoyed it especially the jokes. Finally, there has been a rumour about an increment in the corpers monthly allowance and it looks like it would happen for real! If true, corpers will henceforth receive an additional #10,000 to the previous sum. Hmmm, I'ld definitely sleep better cause of this news ¤smiling¤
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience 2011 by mcnepow(m): 2:59pm On Aug 26, 2011
-Had the usual morning parade plus a lecture on SERVICOM at the parade ground. All went well until my platoon 'bought a job' from the RSM, we were all told to stand on our toes, squat in a bike riding position, arms stretched forward and count slowly from 1 to 50 - omo e hard o!
-Next was breakfast, then the days lecture was on Community Development Service (CDS) after which we had lunch break at which time I had a meal at Mammy and also sent my phone for charging at #50 cost.
-The bugle was blown for afternoon parade but it couldn't hold due to heavy drizzles and we gathered at the multi-purpose hall for a 'LANGUAGE LECTURE' aimed at introducing us to the languages of the people.
-Today's social activity was the Cultural Nite showcasing dance performances from platoons 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9. Sad to say but platoons 3 and 5 performed poorly and thats certain! Back in my room now and a roomie is back from a drinking spree and killing us all with laughter!

(1) (Reply)

NYSC BATCH A15, Call Up Letter Now Available On Dashboard / Is It Compulsory To Do NYSC? / See Reasons Why NYSC 2017 Batch A Stream II Camping Date Is Delayed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.