Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! (3967 Views)

The Principal Of Government Secondary Katsina Has Been Assasinated / NPDP Sets-up Committee To Receive Five New Governors / Katsina Has Highest Rate Of Teenage Pregnancy — NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by KnowAll(m): 10:27am On Jun 15, 2011
We saved 16.7bn in Katsina State without borrowing a kobo

[size=18pt]How were you able to do the things you claimed to have done without borrowing and yet the state has about N16 billion in its account?[/size]

When we started, we had a simple approach to governance. First, we made plans and conceptualised what we wanted to do. I was an attorney general in the government of the late Yar’Adua and so I knew well how government operates. So I had a plan to move gradually in terms of development. I know that the country is littered with many uncompleted projects. Some roads have been built since the 70s but nobody cares to maintain them. I felt that there was need for us to deal with the projects that had not been completed. When you start a project and invest huge amount of money on it and you abandon it, the waste is colossal. I was committed to completing every project I inherited from the previous government. And the on going projects I met were colossal. For example, the expansion of the Katsina airport had just been awarded at the end of November, mobilisation was done in February and in April there was election and handing over.  I stayed on the neck of the contractors, and that gulped two- thirds of the budget at that time. After that, we looked at the university project that was just awarded too. Obasanjo laid the foundation.

Then foundation was just laid.  I told the contractors to sit with our officials and give me a timeline for the completion and the financial requirements. In 18 month, we completed that university. The Turai Yar’Adua Child Mortality Hospital was also just awarded.  We had all kinds of projects, so by the time we were 18 months we targeted 18 month’s completion of all the projects. How did I manage to fund these projects? The university gulped about N11.8 billion and the hostels are quite modest. It took about N800 million but the roads were the real money guzzlers, especially where there are bridges and construction of culverts. We inherited eight road projects from the previous administration. I was getting about N3.4 billion per month. I had a salary bill of about N1.2 billion and with overheads it was about N1.5 billion.

So I had N1.9 billion to play with. I felt there was need to find additional sources of income and we tried to work on the issue of internal revenue generation. We made about N130 million monthly from internally generated revenue. And by and large, the revenue will always come from Value Added Tax (VAT) and others. We were able to get 14.5 per cent interests from pour deposits with the banks and so, we were making between N500 t0 N600 million from the deposits. Within eight months, we built about N20 billion reserves. From there we were able to calculate all our projects and we decided on how much we need to spend in a month on all the projects we are doing.

In one month we will decide that we are going to spend N1.5 billion, another month N1 billion because we know what is coming in from the federation accounts and other sources. Then we made sure we had professional people who did evaluation for us for the jobs.  For example, a supplier of vehicles cannot have more than 25 per cent profit. Nobody asks you for a kobo as bribe. At the end of the day, I made sure no contractor had to see me to get a job. Once you meet the necessary procedure, you get a job; you get 40 per cent advance payment with a bank guarantee given to us. That explains why must complete your projects on time because once we give you a contract to build something and you have a comfortable profit margin it is expected that the project will not suffer hiccup.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/we-saved-16-7bn-in-katsina-state-without-borrowing-a-kobo/
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by otokx(m): 1:59pm On Jun 15, 2011
sounds nice
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by KnowAll(m): 2:06pm On Jun 15, 2011
sounds nice

It is simple any state that is broke, what the authorities should do just strip the past Governors of all his or her asset leaving just one house and one car for them and auction every other thing. Before long all those states in the red would be in the green or is it blue or whatever the colour that denotes a healthy account.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by macjive01: 4:45pm On Jun 15, 2011
Sincerely Muslims or rather northerner are pretty more upright n less corrupt (when dealing with their state) than most southern nigerians.

However, How on earth is kastina, a desert, of marginal population be getting 3.2 billion from fed while IMO state, a densely n highly populated, highly educated, peace-loving non-terrorist state that is part of the country's oil producing community gets a mere 2.1 ?

Abeg GEJ use some sense here, that freaking revenue formula needs and has to b revived!

No wonder they have the time n liberty to be naugghty!
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by PROUDIGBO(m): 5:27pm On Jun 15, 2011
macjive01:

Sincerely Muslims or rather northerner are pretty more upright n less corrupt (when dealing with their state) than most southern nigerians.

However, How on earth is kastina, a desert, of marginal population be getting 3.2 billion from fed while IMO state, a densely n highly populated, highly educated, peace-loving non-terrorist state that is part of the country's oil producing community gets a mere 2.1 ? Abeg GEJ use some sense here, that freaking revenue formula needs and has to b revived!

No wonder they have the time n liberty to be naugghty! 

^^^ On the bolded: nothing is changing anytime soon in that regard, as i don't think the President has the balls to correct such an injustice (as well as many other examples that currently exist in other spheres of our 'nationhood'). If he tries to, the core northern elite will kick up a fuss, point to this as proof of Jonathans' anti-north agenda and threaten a renewed wave of bombings. Though i feel Jonathan is trying to make things a bit fairer.

All this unfairness is as a result of them being in power, and using it (esp' under the military where they had little or no opposition to their actions) to greedily skew a lot of things at the centre to their advantage. Think of the customs; judiciary; police; army; federal civil service; efforts to manage/control the environment through massive construction of dams in the north, while environmental challenges in the south (eg:soil erosion in the south east and environmental degradation as a reult of oil exploration in the Niger delta) where left to the minimal efforts of state governments and divine intervention. The examples are too many to mention here.

I just hope we are witnessing a steady change in the way things are done in this country, so no section feels cheated and that they're carrying their burden and that of other sections who -even after 40 years of affirmative action and quota system- have not yet caught up with their more progressive neighbours down south .
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by KnowAll(m): 8:13pm On Jun 15, 2011
^^
^ On the bolded: nothing is changing anytime soon in that regard, as i don't think the President has the balls to correct such an injustice (as well as many other examples that currently exist in other spheres of our 'nationhood'). If he tries to, the core northern elite will kick up a fuss, point to this as proof of Jonathans' anti-north agenda and threaten a renewed wave of bombings. Though i feel Jonathan is trying to make things a bit fairer.

All this unfairness is as a result of them being in power, and using it (esp' under the military where they had little or no opposition to their actions) to greedily skew a lot of things at the centre to their advantage. Think of the customs; judiciary; police; army; federal civil service; efforts to manage/control the environment through massive construction of dams in the north, while environmental challenges in the south (eg:soil erosion in the south east and environmental degradation as a reult of oil exploration in the Niger delta) where left to the minimal efforts of state governments and divine intervention. The examples are too many to mention here.

I just hope we are witnessing a steady change in the way things are done in this country, so no section feels cheated and that they're carrying their burden and that of other sections who -even after 40 years of affirmative action and quota system- have not yet caught up with their more progressive neighbours down south

Mr Man Shut-up instead of you to give this Governor credit, you open your ye-ye mouth talking non-sense, Mr Proudly Igbo do you know the Igbo Governors so far are SOME of the worse Governors we have tailing the roguish Governors we had in the SW nobody voted for who have all been kicked out and swept away for Good. Let us just pray Rochas perform. Instead of you to Give Governor Yerima credit you are talking of resource control.

Apart from the 6 or 7 states that have oil, and probably Lagos state tell me one state which does not depend on the allocation from the FG
. undecided
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:17pm On Jun 15, 2011
KnowAll:

^^

Mr Man Shut-up instead of you to give this Governor credit, you open your ye-ye mouth talking non-sense,  Mr Proudly Igbo do you know the Igbo Governors so far are SOME of the worse Governors we have tailing  the roguish Governors we had in the SW nobody voted for who have all been kicked out and swept  away for Good. Let us just pray Rochas perform. Instead of you to Give Governor Yerima credit you are talking of resource control.

Apart  from the 6 or 7 states that have oil, and probably Lagos state tell me one state which does not depend on the allocation from the FG
undecided

^^^ Mr I-KNOW-ALL, you should be the one shutting up. Or you didn't notice i quoted Macjive, and was answering a question he posed. You're a sad fool for expecting me to give "this governor some credit" when i had stated in my last post that the whole basis for Katsina receiving a larger federal allocation than a state like Imo is borne out of GROSS INJUSTICE (as per the reasons stated by Macjive and myself). Katsina is a semi-arid and sparsely populated state compared to Imo, no wonder the man had money to spare at the end of his tenure when there was near f*uck-all to spend it on.

These facts may not be of any concern to your wicked and selfish person, but they are to the peoples whose land sustains this fake contraption pretending to be a nation, b'cos for nigh on 40 years it's been a case of 'MONKEY DEY WORK, BABOON DEY CHOP'.

Having some bad Governors in the south east (which i've alluded to in previous posts) has nothing to do with this issue. If your point is that, but for the bad governors, some south eastern states would also have a surplus at the end of a financial year, then you must be a sadder and bigger fool than i had feared: given the dearth of infrastructure and social amenities in virtually all states of the country, any Governor that leaves office with a surplus either hasn't got a clue what he should have been doing or his state is soooo developed that the state government can now shout "UHURU" and "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED".
On the other hand, if your point is that we have bad governors in the south east hence we should look to solve that problem b/4 we go asking for our FAIR due from the centre, then you're irredeemably and irretrievably DAFT and a first-class basket-case shocked shocked: so we should wait till good governance is enthroned in all states in the south east, meanwhile other states with good governance challenges are carrying on as normal

I'll continue responding to posts how i deem fit, and you can either ignore my posts or go take a leaping dive into river Niger with a deadweight tied round your neck. Simple wink.

Cheers wink
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by enyojo(f): 7:38am On Jun 16, 2011
If this is true, then Katsina State Governor needs commendation.
He is a great example of shrewdness among co-governors.
How come Katsina is blessed with financially disciplined Govs?
As an afterthought though, let them also put the money into use to turn Katsina into a mecca of development of some sort.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by Blazing99: 7:58am On Jun 16, 2011
Kudos to the Yar Adua transparent legacy. RIP Umaru Musa Yar'Adua. May your soul rest in peace. If u were alive I would love to ask you a question: Why Jonathan as an assistant?
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by shagaman: 8:15am On Jun 16, 2011
Kudos to the Yar Adua transparent legacy. RIP Umaru Musa Yar'Adua. May your soul rest in peace. If u were alive I would love to ask you a question: Why Jonathan as an assistant?

You can still ask him now, send a mail to ya'aduadeyheaven@yahoo.co.za, grin
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by jfking2005(m): 8:16am On Jun 16, 2011
Well done.
please transform all your achievement to people's benefit and stop stacking the money for one Governor to squander it.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by enyojo(f): 8:17am On Jun 16, 2011
Blazing99:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by Demdem(m): 8:43am On Jun 16, 2011
i see no wisdom in having such huge sum in hand and yet the majority of the people are in abject poverty. The money should be used to better the lives of the populace. However, its better to be kept than it finding its way to some crook's pockets.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by omo9ja1(m): 8:45am On Jun 16, 2011
This was a Ya'adua legacy, the only honest and reliable president Nigeria have, shame he did not live long Kudos to the Govt of Kastinasmiley
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by seguno2: 9:34am On Jun 16, 2011
Kudos to Katsina governor for his prudent management of the people's resources.
Does anyone know how much debt Lagos state owes ?
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by KnowAll(m): 9:47am On Jun 16, 2011
Kudos to Katsina governor for his prudent management of the people's resources.
Does anyone know how much debt Lagos state owes ?

Lagos is owing $1 BILLION DOLLARS. lipsrsealed
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by otaiwo: 10:19am On Jun 16, 2011
This is a good thing happening in Katsina state. The Governor should be commended. Though a Lawyer, he has demostrated a good sense of portfolio/program/project management and above all he is not corrupt since he doesn't have to be seen by any contractor before jobs get done.
There are certainly some lessons to be learnt from Katsina state by other state governors and even the federal government since they claimed recently that abandoned projects all over the country amount to about 7.9 trillion naira.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 16, 2011
Good job gov i was  once in katsina wit friends 4 a wedding so no our way 2 da dinner we followed a short cut that pass through the state sectariat(the best in the country) 1 of my guyz forgot we where in the north he thought it was abuja 4 a moment.i mean come and c street lights and good roads in katsina. The govs there really worked. When i saw the airport in delta state and compared it wit that of katsina i said some ppl can be so curl to their ppl. Imagine an oil producing state wast 40 billion to build that so called airport we must say the truth when we c it!
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by dempeople(m): 11:25am On Jun 16, 2011
Is this verifiable?

Other governors who lost, would've told us about the availability of such funds in their states' treasuries - had it been they won. Who would have thought about the enormous amount been owned by Imo - should Ohakim had won?

Guys, shine una eyes.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by smileyprin(m): 11:26am On Jun 16, 2011
To be objective d yaradua legacy continues, wether higher allocation or not what does the so called oil producing governors hav to show 4 it, credit to d deserved
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by sleekman(m): 11:26am On Jun 16, 2011
Demdem:

i see no wisdom in having such huge sum in hand and yet the majority of the people are in abject poverty. The money should be used to better the lives of the populace. However, its better to be kept than it finding its way to some crook's pockets.

You see no reason for what? Are u smoking Garri? N500m to N600m interest isn't enough reason for u? I'll choose constant & planned development any day anytime over the borrowing other state govts do. If I'm a governor of Katsina y wuldn't I borrow frm d World Bank or IMF @ 3-5%, utilise the funds and keep deposting more of my allocation @ 14%. It seems we have better managers from Katsina. Buhari, Yar Adua & now this guy. All of them are adopting Buhari's model while he was @ PTF.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by sleekman(m): 11:37am On Jun 16, 2011
I really don't understand y the notrhern states are not keying in on power generation. Look @ Russia selling power to China. They should focus on building solar and wind power generators, create industrial parks and sell this power generated to these parks. Men I can generate 1m jobs in the NE with $5b. Yet they will allow Boko Haram to turn NE Nigeria to an Alqeada breeding region/nation.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by Mucokey(m): 1:13pm On Jun 16, 2011

Get ur stats rite cos 1 of de northern governors is stil in radar ova misappropriation of ova #6.5 billion
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by AroOkigbo(m): 2:05pm On Jun 16, 2011
Continue to save money,
until an Orji Uzor comes on as a governor in the next dispensation, lipsrsealed cry
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by Showab1: 2:32pm On Jun 16, 2011
Kudos to him!
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by MMM2(m): 2:47pm On Jun 16, 2011
good
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by Demdem(m): 4:30pm On Jun 16, 2011
sleekman:

You see no reason for what? Are u smoking Garri? N500m to N600m interest isn't enough reason for u? I'll choose constant & planned development any day anytime over the borrowing other state govts do. If I'm a governor of Katsina y wuldn't I borrow frm d World Bank or IMF @ 3-5%, utilise the funds and keep deposting more of my allocation @ 14%. It seems we have better managers from Katsina. Buhari, Yar Adua & now this guy. All of them are adopting Buhari's model while he was @ PTF.

Actually, i think u are the one in a hurry to respond. i haven't been to katsina and wouldn't claim to be there but i am not so sure if the inhabitants are leaving fine. Do these people have jobs? what about water? how is there health centers and hospitals? is it adequate? what about the schools? are they dilapidated or not? i can go on and on.
Its good to be prudent no doubt and there is also nothing wrong if you have debts that are not over the roof and under control.

the money being kept in the bank or in any mallams cage will do the people and inhabitants of this place no good if their lives are still improvished. this has nothing to do with Buhari or yaradua.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by Ad4(m): 5:38pm On Jun 16, 2011
I appreciate what the Katsina State Governor has done and it is really commendable. But I mist say that there is alot to be done in areas of infrastructural development and power generation. The present Governor should focus on these issues. There is no need keeping money when alot has to be done. I believe a Governor should take a little more reasonable risk to give the people a better life.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by Rhino5dm: 6:27pm On Jun 16, 2011
I don't believe this story.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by ektbear: 6:31pm On Jun 16, 2011
Being debt-free isn't necessarily always good.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by Olugboo: 9:20pm On Jun 16, 2011
Its not a roket science to run a state in Nigeria unless its Lagos or Rivers state. The problem is that most governors are more interested in what they will get out of it than what they will put in.
Kudos to the Kastina Government, i hope other Governors will follow this simple formular. On another note, it will be intresting to know how much each state owes. Alot of these mickey mouse states are so broke they make Greece look like a Kuwait.
Re: Katsina Has N16 Billion While Others Are Owing: New Governors Take Note! by nsiadi: 10:26pm On Jun 16, 2011
Katsina is one of the states wt heavy almajirins. D idea of saving money & doing less is not the best. Use d money for ppl oriented projects. Look for more ways of making more money tru internally generated funds. Deploy all the monies well. Be resourceful. D state is not a bank that gives loans. Our ppl are fund of praising failures. Tell d truth straight in their faces.

Those praising Yar adua have 4gotten he removed Ribadu wtout justification. He condoned corruption. Power production saw no change during his time. The guy asking why he chose GEJ is just mischievous, even the blind sees the difference. We shd learn to appreciate

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu Blasts FG Over The State Of Roads Nationwide / How Jonathan Undermined & Defiled The First Law Of Power. / Alj Harem's View On The PDP Rally In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.