Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,305 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

Is Marriage Compulsory? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage Compulsory? (10109 Views)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is Marriage Compulsory? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marriage Compulsory? by Missworld(f): 11:41am On Jul 02, 2005
Is marriage an obligation?

Even though it seems like marriage is an obligation that we have to fulfill, I personally disagree with every bit of that idea. Maybe I'm wrong and that's why I need to hear from you.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by shockreaction(m): 12:17pm On Jul 02, 2005
No, marriage isn't compulsory.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by dablessed(f): 12:25pm On Jul 02, 2005
Nopes! Some people may choose not to marry for religious reasons.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by Marshall(m): 12:39pm On Jul 02, 2005
Marriage ain't compulsory. Apart from religious reason, one can decide not to for his own personal reason.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by KFAD(m): 1:47pm On Jul 02, 2005
though marriage makes life a whole lot more enjoyable and comfortable, its not compulsory.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by kazey(m): 3:51pm On Jul 02, 2005
Well for me yes, i have to get married. Because if i dont, and many people dont. Thinking that it is not compulsory although they are able (especially the guys). The human race is doomed for extinction.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by hotangel2(f): 2:59am On Jul 03, 2005
Compulsory=must.

Marriage isn't a must!
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by hopy2005(f): 11:45am On Jul 05, 2005
For me I think marriage is not compulsory,
My reason is obivious, it's certain that it is not every person will get married the Bible has made it clear, that if one can't stay withstand the temptation of this world fine, u can remain single but if one can'nt withstand it, u should go ahead and get married, it's not by force as some my say.

So, I think the chioce is urs.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by kazey(m): 2:39pm On Jul 05, 2005
God created Eve for a reason cheesy
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by Motee(f): 5:20pm On Jul 05, 2005
hopy2005:

For me I think marriage is not compulsory,
My reason is obivious, it's certain that it is not every person will get married the Bible has made it clear, that if one can't stay withstand the temptation of this world fine, you can remain single but if one can'nt withstand it, you should go ahead and get married, it's not by force as some my say.

So, I think the chioce is urs.

i agree with you.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by makgod(m): 5:02am On Jul 12, 2005
how can someone even think marriage is compulsory, No way!!, its not.
so kazey what do u say about the monks,priests, etc ,are they comitting a crime..?
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by CalabarMan(m): 9:39am On Jul 12, 2005
Marriage is not compulsory but there comes a time in everybody's life when you need to settle down and raise a family. Having children out of wedlock is totally unfair to the children, they need a stable environment to grow and become morally upright. Secondly as we grow older sex becomes less important to us, we need companionship, someone to gist with, this is where a spouse fits in. If you keep changing partners and never settle with one, you would end up being lonely during your old age when you need a companion most.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by Missworld(f): 1:52pm On Jul 12, 2005
That's a good point CalabarMan. why is it that some people especially Nigerians feel like marriage is an obligation that has to be fulfilled?. They seems to be under pressure when they don't get married and have children like their mates. For example, my friend who is now 29 feels like marriage is his next step and there's nothing wrong with that but the problem is that he is more focused in getting married than finding the right companion. Do you identify this problem with me? Why does it have to be this way? Is it our culture? what is it? What is it that pushes our young men and women into something that could cause frustration and even early death?
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by CalabarMan(m): 2:41pm On Jul 12, 2005
This drive to get married results in a lot of unecessary pressure being applied to relationships. Some years back I was dating a banker, the relationship was less than a week old when she started mounting pressure on me, asking me what do I want from this relationship, where is it leading to etc etc. The first day I visited her (she was staying alone in a 2 bedroom apartment), she had a big piece of paper on her wall titled new year resolution with the objective to find a young handsome man to marry and have healthy kids with. I guess this resolution was her driving force for the year and she kept mounting pressure on me to make a committment. I tried explaining to her that we need to know how compatible we are before making future long term plans, but she was in a hurry. So I called off the relationship and we went our ways. A years later she tried coming back apologising that she was very childish back then, and now understood what I was trying to explain. It was already too late as I was into another relationship. I ran into her a few weeks ago she is still single but no longer searching aggresively.

The urge to get married for most of us especially ladies, is to start raising kids, women who have their 1st kid after 30 are considered as high risk mothers during pregnancy and are given additional attention. There is also a general believe that kids born to women under the age of 30 are stronger and more healthy. While most babes start thinking about marriage at the age of 25 and start panicking by 30, most men don't until they are around 30.

I think we all need to relax a bit on this marriage thing, make sure you find a partner who is a good friend, someone you like being with and gisting with, cause once the initial novelty of the marriage wears out, which happens within the first 2 years of marriage, it is the friendship that would sustain and strengthen the relationship, bear in mind that physical beauty is relative and fades with time.

3 Likes

Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by pintos(m): 10:59pm On Aug 07, 2005
which one you dey miss world?
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by DEKING3(m): 8:20am On Aug 08, 2005
Huh calabarman, you've said it all. Experience is the best teacher.

Marriage is not compulsory. Only our society makes it seem so.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by gina34(f): 1:00pm On Aug 09, 2005
marriage is not compulsory but it is neccesary,
Even the bible said that it is better not to marry than to marry
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by kazey(m): 10:07pm On Aug 10, 2005
gina34:

Even the bible said that it is better not to marry than to marry

Now that i must say is very interesting. Hum what chapter? I would love to read. cheesy
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by Seun(m): 1:02am On Aug 11, 2005
[url=http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?search=I%20Corinthians%207;&version=31;]1 Corinthians 7[/url]:

Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.
Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. 9But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
Are you married? Do not seek a divorce. Are you unmarried? Do not look for a wife. But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned.

Well, any comments?
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by kazey(m): 1:47pm On Aug 11, 2005
This is serious O grin
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by Latoya(f): 8:14am On Aug 12, 2005
Marrige isnt an obligation in the Bible.
it depends on individuals
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by gina34(f): 11:51am On Aug 12, 2005
if you don't want to marry don't marry but don't you go fornicating. rolleyes
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by gina34(f): 11:53am On Aug 12, 2005
though marriage is a union instuated by God himself.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by legs(f): 3:57pm On Aug 16, 2005
to answer ur question simply miss world... not necessarily; but remember... NO COW; NO MILK!
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by gina34(f): 4:35pm On Aug 17, 2005
well i think you are right but it is a thing of choice.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by Chigszy(f): 4:55pm On Aug 17, 2005
marriage it is not compulsory it is a choice... like gina and most people are saying
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by otokx(m): 1:19pm On Sep 24, 2005
its good but its not compulsory
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by nucca(f): 1:43pm On Sep 30, 2005
NO
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 04, 2005
absolutely no! it's a choice and on this depends your entire life. you should never do it just to please your family who wants to see you settled. if you have to be prepared: physically and psychologically! smiley
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 04, 2005
Well for me yes, i have to get married. Because if i don't, and many people don't. Thinking that it is not compulsory although they are able (especially the guys). The human race is doomed for extinction.

listen! you don't have to get married to have children. but if you believe in abstinence before marriage!
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by gina34(f): 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2005
Sorry i did'nt get your last paragraph.
Re: Is Marriage Compulsory? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 07, 2005
i mean if you believe there shouldn't be sex before, that's when you can say I've to get married to have children!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Get Protected From Bullet, Poison, Charm And Machete And Witchcraft Attack / Who Remembers This Scammer? Face Of A Thief / Smart Ways To Snatch Someone Husband!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.