Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? (3784 Views)

What Is The Use Of Fasting,when God still Answer prayers with Full Stomach? / When Prayer Is Hard: 10 Bible Verses To Help You Talk To God / Questions? Comments? Complaints? Talk To The Moderators Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Ignatio(m): 5:17pm On Jun 16, 2011
Does this direct communication btw God n man still happen? I've pondered on this question and also discussed it in group but I haven't gotten a good answer.
I'll love to get your opinion on this.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 4:54am On Jun 17, 2011
The question shouldn't be about God talking to someone . God talks to us . But many don't hear him. To hear God requires training. We learn to hear God. It can be learned. The first step is for a man to receive the holyghost . The question should rather be now "how can we hear God"
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Azibalua(f): 8:15am On Jun 17, 2011
God is a spirit and thus we can only hear him via our spirit
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by benodic: 10:54am On Jun 17, 2011
@ Ignatio

Does this direct communication btw God n man still happen? I've pondered on this question and also discussed it in group but I haven't gotten a good answer.

of course God is always talking to us but the problem is that we are so immersed in materiality and problems of daily living that we do not stop to listen.

the first step in hearing God speak is to start listening within. remember Jesus said "be still and know that i am God". you have to start by stilling your senses and go into a quiet contemplation on God and then just listen for a while.

singing a holy name of God like HU or any spiritual word like Jesus, Christ or even God can help in attuning your inner self to the Holy Spirit. After singing it for a while then remain still and listen. just listen.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 10:56am On Jun 17, 2011
^^^
haa ! Bobo eckanker!
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by xheggs(m): 12:41am On Jun 19, 2011
What Have You Been Believing GOD For? Good Awaits You Today. Great excerpt from Pastor Adeboye's Open Heavens Devotional.
http://www.theopenheavens.com/devotional/sunday-19-june-2011-good-awaits-you-today/

Enjoy!
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:36pm On Jun 19, 2011
@OP God obviously has stopped speaking to Man the way he used to in the past. Man has fallen to such debase levels since Adam, God talking to Man is like a MOG talking to an Muslim Zealot grin This is why we are the ones doing all the talking (and communicating God's word back and forth). In the old days he will simply watch you for a while and wait for a moment when you are just about taking nap and give you a holla. grin
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by xheggs(m): 12:16am On Jun 26, 2011
Apart from the possibility of encountering an extraordinary blessing on an ordinary day, another lesson from the story of Moses recorded in Exodus 2:5-10, is that God has different ways of rewarding His own. Hebrews 6:10 says God does not forget your labours of love. Every seed you have sown into the Kingdom shall attract its reward. Have you been a blessing to your spiritual parents? You shall be rewarded. Every work or effort, as long as it is an act of faith, will elicit Heaven’s reward.

Great excerpt from Pastor Adeboye's Open Heavens Devotional.
http://www.theopenheavens.com/devotional/sunday-26-june-2011-your-pay-day-will-come/
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by thehomer: 9:07am On Jun 26, 2011
Ignatio:

If God spoke to me and I told what transpired between us, would you believe me?
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 26, 2011
thehomer:

If God spoke to me and I told what transpired between us, would you believe me?

After observing christians in their natural habitat and online, I would say the two most important factors they will consider are as follows.
1) Are you a "Spiritual Authority"
2) Are you saying what they want to hear.

If you can answer yes to both questions, then you can have as many conversations with "god" as  possible without being questioned.

Since I can answer yes to both questions, I can tell you I had a conversation with God a few hours ago while burning some trees. He spoke to me through the burning trees as I inhaled the smoke.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by thehomer: 6:45pm On Jun 26, 2011
Martian:

After observing christians in their natural habitat and online, I would say the two most important factors they will consider are as follows.

If you can answer yes to both questions, then you can have as many conversations with "god" as  possible without being questioned.

Since I can answer yes to both questions, I can tell you I had a conversation with God a few hours ago while burning some trees. He spoke to me through the burning trees as I inhaled the smoke.

What sort of trees were they? Were they legal or illegal trees?

Anyway, I am a Spiritual Authority. I was told this directly by God himself. Whether or not they want to hear it is up to them but my first message is that all people repent of their evil deeds and ask forgiveness.
My second message is that the people bring their "seeds" to come and "sow" where I'll direct them. Which may simply be a little thing like a Dassault Falcon you know for the progress of the spirit. grin
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Image123(m): 11:43pm On Jun 26, 2011
So thehomer fancies the false prophet office.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by petres007(m): 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2011
Joagbaje:

The question shouldn't be about God talking to someone . God talks to us . But many don't hear him. To hear God requires training. We learn to hear God. It can be learned. [/b]The first step is for a man to receive the holyghost . The question should rather be  now  "how can we hear God"

I admit I have to agree with Pastor Joe on this one. But you guys should try to include scriptural examples naa smiley

Methinks Acts 9 contains a perfect example: that of Paul Saul of Tarsus. If he hadn't learned "how to hear God" (probably from materials like erRoR), he would not have heard what Jesus was saying to him in the account described here:

1 Then Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest

2 and asked letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, so that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.

3 As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and [b]suddenly
a light shone around him from heaven.

4 Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?"

5 And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" Then the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads."

6 So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?" Then the Lord said to him, "Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do."

Like I always say, you people keep giving yourselves away.  tongue

This time, you just told us how weak and dependent your God is on human abilities (or otherwise). Why do you keep on spewing out the rubbish handed to you by your MOGs without checking with scriptures first? What manner of delusion is this

What training or learning did Paul have to undergo to be able to hear the Lord in the account above?

Even the folks around him "heard a voice":

7 And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice but seeing no one.

What training did they all undergo? When and how did they learn to hear God?

Where are the scriptures that say we have to learn to hear God first? Where are the verses that explicitly teach us how to hear from God? Any biblical examples?

Another account comes to mind. Little Samuel who upon hearing God's voice the first time thought it was the high priest Eli calling:

3 and before the lamp of God went out in the tabernacle of the LORD where the ark of God was, and while Samuel was lying down,

4 that the LORD called Samuel. And he answered, "Here I am!"

5 So he ran to Eli and said, "Here I am, for you called me." And he said, "I did not call; lie down again." And he went and lay down.

Abeg, where and when did little Samuel learn such an elusive skill?

Must you guys twist and repackage everything in scripture for sales?
  angry
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by petres007(m): 4:58pm On Jun 27, 2011
Just so my point is clear -

When the God of the bible speaks to a person, even if he were deaf or has a boulder blocking his ears, he'll surely hear.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 5:12pm On Jun 27, 2011
Where and when did little Samuel learn such an elusive skill?

And who told you that samuel wasn't trained? That experience was his first training. God spoke to him through the voice of Eli. He didn't know how to hear God for himself. He heard Eli voice calling him. That's why he ran to Eli. He didn't say "someone is calling me" he said rather "you called me" because that's the voice he heard . It was Eli who gad to teach him how to listen to God If not ,the voice would have left and probably not come again

petres_007:

Just so my point is clear -

When the God of the bible speaks to a person, even if he were deaf, he'll surely hear.

That's your area of ignorance . God speaks all the time . Men don't hear. his voice is wisdom of men.

Proverbs 1:20-23
20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets: 21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying, 22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge? 23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

They need to learn how to recognise his voice . Saul case was a spectacular one. He doesn't always speak that way. Speaks through the word , he speaks through the inner voice, he speaks through the pastor or other Ministers, he speaks through visions and dream. He speaks through chastisement and so on . 

Job 33:14-18
14 For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. 15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; 16 Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction, 17 That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man. 18 He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.

Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by petres007(m): 6:31pm On Jun 27, 2011
Joagbaje:

And who told you that samuel wasn't trained? That experience was his first training. God spoke to him through the voice of Eli. He didn't know how to hear God for himself. He heard Eli voice calling him. That's why he ran to Eli. He didn't say "someone is calling me" he said rather "you called me" because that's the voice he heard . It was Eli who gad to teach him how to listen to God If not ,the voice would have left and probably not come again

OMG!!! You didn't just say this, did you?  shocked shocked shocked

That experience was Samuel's "first training"? Gosh!! There's so much in this quote from your last post I'm not sure where to begin.

Joagbaje:

And who told you that samuel wasn't trained? That experience was his first training.

Please explain to us HOW this experience was little Samuel's first training in the art of hearing God speak.

At night, probably while trying to sleep, little Samuel hears his name (as must've happened often), thinks its Eli calling and runs to him. Or did I miss something?

Just a minute, note that the kid didn't just not know it wasn't Eli calling but heard his name clearly enough to assume it was Eli.

Joagbaje:

God spoke to him through the voice of Eli.

How so? Please explain in simple terms, how God spoke to Samuel through Eli's voice.

Joagbaje:

He didn't know how to hear God for himself.

You don't say.  grin

You miss the point again - God called. He heard. If you will at least concede to this, maybe we could move forward.

Joagbaje:

He heard Eli voice calling him.

The bible nowhere states this sir. Isn't it rather obvious, that the boy thought it was Eli calling, as usual?

Joagbaje:

That's why he ran to Eli. He didn't say "someone is calling me" he said rather "you called me" because that's the voice he heard.

In addition to my responses above; don't you think the setting that night was such that Eli was the only one close enough to have called him hence, Samuel's confidence it must've been him calling?

Verse 3 gives us a hint as to where they were:

3 and before the lamp of God went out in the tabernacle of the LORD where the ark of God was, and while Samuel was lying down,

I'd be surprised if there were any others besides both of them that night.

Joagbaje:

It was Eli who gad to teach him how to listen to God If not ,the voice would have left and probably not come again

haba, haba  grin

Eli did not "teach" Samuel to hear God.

Abi how many training sessions, videos, tapes, CDs, lectures, hours or days of hot speaking in tongues, did it take before Samuel became a certified "God hearer"??

After the incident - Samuel coming to him thinking he'd called for him three times (shouldn't that be a bit instructive, thou bible student  wink ) and being a priest (meaning that at least he understood the things of God better than the average jew?  wink ) he perceived that it must be the Lord calling the lad.  .  . since it wasn't him.

This also tells you that its most likely there weren't (m)any folks around who could have been calling, besides Eli.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by petres007(m): 7:21pm On Jun 27, 2011
Didn't even see the rest of your post.

Joagbaje:

That's your area of ignorance . God speaks all the time . Men don't hear. his voice is wisdom of men.

Na wah o. You guys never stop to think of the implications of your unbiblical assertions. I never heard of a single King all through history, who spoke all the time. Their words were rare. If this could be said of earthly kings, how much more eternity's holy King?

Pastor Joe  embarassed

Take a step back and take an objective look at the bible on this issue.

I make bold to say that God speaking audibly to someone, even a prophet, was not the norm/frequent. One wonders where you guys get this idea that God speaks all the time to us but we're not listening, as you CANNOT come to that conclusion when you objectively study the bible. Or haven't you noticed in the bible that God's modus operandi (in this regard) was to appoint a spokesman to whom he'd entrust his word, and then everybody else listened to him?

Christ stands heads and shoulders above all else in this group of individuals; flanked on one hand by the prophets who were merely types of him and the apostles, whose ministry was an extension of his. And here's what the scripture says of him(note the tense):

1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets,

2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;

Take note: HE HAS SPOKEN. We get into trouble when we go looking for what's not lost.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by petres007(m): 7:47pm On Jun 27, 2011
Joagbaje:

It was Eli who gad to teach him how to listen to God If not ,the voice would have left and probably not come again

I laugh in somersaulting tongues of angels!  grin grin grin

What makes you think God would have become so frustrated as to give up telling Samuel of his plans?
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2011
petres_007:

What makes you think God would have become so frustrated as to give up telling Samuel of his plans?
Genesis 6:3
3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man. . .

Gods spirit will not always strive with man. So if he reaches out to people and they ignore , he will withdraw. He doesn't force his will on people. God told Moses he would heal him, but Moses didn't believe he could be healed of stammering. Did God insist ? He left him stammering.  He speaks to us through dreams sometimes , bit when we don't know how to handle it or we neglect it , it withdraws . But when a man learns to hanldle such spiritual communication aright, the voice of God becomes clearer. Every gift of the spirit develop gradually. The more you respond to it, the more it increases. When you abandon it. It seems to dwindle . You have to start aftresh.

petres_007:

That experience was Samuel's "first training"? Gosh!! There's so much in this quote from your last post I'm not sure where to begin.Please explain to us HOW this experience was little Samuel's first training in the art of hearing God speak.

Are you aware there was a school of prophets where they were taught On how to hear God. Samuel hasn't learnt that yet.That's why Eli had to tutor him.

1 Samuel 3:7
7 Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, neither was the word of the Lord yet revealed unto him.

How so? Please explain in simple terms, how God spoke to Samuel through Eli's voice.

I already explained the bibles said Samuel told Eli he called him. He could have said I heard a strange voice or ,a woman's voice. He said "you called me"
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by petres007(m): 9:30pm On Jun 27, 2011
Joagbaje:

3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man. . .

Standard CEC response and WolF technique - yank a scripture that seems right out of context. angry

Here are the surrounding verses and proper context in the NLT:

1 Then the people began to multiply on the earth, and daughters were born to them.
2 The sons of God saw the beautiful women and took any they wanted as their wives.
3 Then the LORD said, "my spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, their normal lifespan will e no more than 120 years".
Genesis 6:1-3 (NLT)

That phrase as used in that verse (3), when read in proper context, had to do with man's longevity. It does not suit the purpose for which you cited it in anyway. Context, sir, context. I take that your argument as such, falls apart and requires no further response.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by noetic16(m): 9:34pm On Jun 27, 2011
Ignatio:

it does happen  . . , .God speaks directly to those who genuinely serve Him. remember Christ promised another comforter who will remind us of all truths. God speaks . I hear Him very often, as such I personally testify that He still speaks, just as it was written the scriptures of His conversations with the prophets.

Martian:

I am tempted to agree with u  , . . .but u just described FALSE prophets here. . . who fleece the flock with juicy promises unfounded in the gospel of Christ. So while ur above analysis "may be"  true, it does not describe genuine Christians but refers to holy charlatans.

petres_007:

you are not the first person to laugh in tongues . . . .we have been laffing in tongues at pastor Jo's gospel for a very long time.
Nice to see ur debunking of Jo's false teachings, , the question is what motivates Jo to twist the scriptures?
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by InesQor(m): 10:05pm On Jun 27, 2011
LOL very soon there will be schools where magas believers pay sow seed in exchange to learn how to be hyped, deceived and hypnotized hear God the way the pastor wants them to.  grin
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 10:24pm On Jun 27, 2011
petres_007:

Standard CEC response and WolF technique - yank a scripture that sounds just right out of context.

Here are the surrounding verses and proper context in the NLT:

1 Then the people began to multiply on the earth, and daughters were born to them.
2 The sons of God saw the beautiful women and took any they wanted as their wives.
3 Then the LORD said, "my spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, their normal lifespan will e no more than 120 years".

Genesis 6:1-3 (NLT)
That phrase as used in that verse (3), when read in proper context, had to do with man's longevity. It does not suit the purpose for which you cited it in anyway. Context, sir, context. I take that your argument as such, falls apart and requires no further response.

I agree the context was different .It's not the context that is my emphasis but  the principles behind it. You should rather focus on the point I'm making.  Dont leave the major thing and dwell on the minor. Besides what has strive got to do with longevity? Patapata I will remove the verse and put a more simpler one for you to communicate my point.  Which is: when men strive with the holighost , he withdraws.

3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not struggle with humans forever, ."
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by petres007(m): 10:58pm On Jun 27, 2011
Joagbaje:

I agree the context was different .It's not the context that is my emphasis but  the principles behind it. You should rather focus on the point I'm making.  Dont leave the major thing and dwell on the minor. Besides what has strive got to do with longevity? Patapata I will remove the verse and put a more simpler one for you to communicate my point.  Which is: when men strive with the holighost , he withdraws.

3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not struggle with humans forever, ."

Well, at least you agree the context for this verse was different. But I beg to disagree that a verse's context is not the major thing because it is. That's what tells you what the verse means as a bunch of the same words (in the same order) can mean different things entirely, depending on the context.

I also disagree with your principle of God withdrawing after "struggling" with humans for some time. This is not so, sir. IMHO, God never struggles with humans. A case in point (plus all the background gist God had given Moses) would be Pharaoh's refusal to let the Hebrews go willingly. God wasn't striving with Pharaoh. He knew beforehand that Pharaoh would prove stubborn and even lent a hand in hardening his heart, all to one end.  .  .  smiley

Maybe you should provide more examples of this just so we're clear.

My eyes are beginning to get sticky now o [yawns]  smiley

noetic16:

you are not the first person to laugh in tongues . . . .we have been laffing in tongues at pastor Jo's gospel for a very long time.
Nice to see your debunking of Jo's false teachings,  ,  the question is what motivates Jo to twist the scriptures?

@Noetic,

My take is that he tries too hard to make everything line up with Oyaksian theology, instead of studying the scriptures and arriving at conclusions objectively.

If he could only put aside his allegiance to Oyaks and whatever personal interests he may have.  .  .
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by mazee: 11:28pm On Jun 27, 2011
petres_007:

Well, at least you agree the context for this verse was different. But I beg to disagree that a verse's context is not the major thing because it is. That's what tells you what the verse means as a bunch of the same words (in the same order) can mean different things entirely, depending on the context.

I also disagree with your principle of God withdrawing after "struggling" with humans for some time. This is not so, sir. IMHO, God never struggles with humans. A case in point (plus all the background gist God had given Moses) would be Pharaoh's refusal to let the Hebrews go willingly. God wasn't striving with Pharaoh. He knew beforehand that Pharaoh would prove stubborn and even lent a hand in hardening his heart, all to one end.  .  .  smiley

Maybe you should provide more examples of this just so we're clear.

My eyes are beginning to get sticky now o [yawns]  smiley
[/b]

@Noetic,

My take is that he tries too hard to make everything line up with Oyaksian theology, instead of studying the scriptures and arriving at conclusions objectively.

If he could only put aside his allegiance to Oyaks and whatever personal interests he may have.  .  .

petres_007. Without mincing words, please explain and enlighten us how God lent a hand in hardening Pharaoh's heart.

With examples or an illustration for clarity, tell or show us, how God did or could have done it. Harden Pharaoh's heart.

[center]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLTFoUkNpuE
Paramount Marauder on BBC's Top Gear
[/center]
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 11:39pm On Jun 27, 2011
petres_007:

It is still applicable because of the spiritual principle there.

This might be helpful for you

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
My spirit shall not always strive - It is only by the influence of the Spirit of God that the carnal mind can be subdued and destroyed; but those who wilfully resist and grieve that Spirit must be ultimately left to the hardness and blindness of their own hearts, if they do not repent and turn to God. God delights in mercy, and therefore a gracious warning is given. Even at this time the earth was ripe for destruction; but God promised them one hundred and twenty years' respite: if they repented in that interim, well; if not, they should be destroyed by a flood. See the note on Genesis 6:5

I also disagree with your principle of God withdrawing after "struggling" with humans for some time. This is not so, sir. IMHO, God never struggles with humans.

The spirit of God has always had issues with them in their stubbornness .

Isaiah 63:10
But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.

Acts 7:51
51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by dorox(m): 12:54pm On Jun 28, 2011
God speaks to no one, whoever tells you otherwise is a liar or mentally ill.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by petres007(m): 1:10pm On Jun 28, 2011
mazee:

petres_007. Without mincing words, please explain and enlighten us how God lent a hand in hardening Pharaoh's heart.

With examples or an illustration for clarity, tell or show us, how God did or could have done it. Harden Pharaoh's heart.

I was referring to these:

Ex 4:21 And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.

Ex 7:3 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.

As for HOW GOD could have hardened pharaoh's heart, I'm not sure I understand what you're after.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by mazee: 8:29pm On Jun 28, 2011
mazee:

petres_007:

I was referring to these:

Ex 4:21 And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt,
see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand:
but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.

Ex 7:3 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.

As for HOW GOD could have hardened pharaoh's heart, I'm not sure I understand what you're after.

petres_007. It was obvious you were referring to Ex 4:21 and Ex 7:3

There is no ulterior motive or hidden agenda,

just seizing the opportunity of you bringing up "God lent a hand in hardening Pharaoh's heart"

What I am after and strongly hoping, is that you step up to the plate and do an exegesis on Ex 4:21 and Ex 7:3 and about how God hardened Pharaoh's heart.

I mean give an exposition, provide us with critical explanations on or descriptions of how God hardened Pharaoh's heart

The Ex 4:21 and Ex 7:3 texts are quoting God saying He will harden Pharaoh's heart

To the uninitiated or an uninformed reader of the texts, the sheer thought of God hardening people's hearts sounds like God is vindictive or cruel.

Of course God is not vindictive or cruel, He is not even remotely close.

God doesnt do vindictive or cruel, that's more up the devil's alley.

So maybe, if, how God hardened Pharaoh's heart, is described, possibly with examples, then captivity will be led captive with its captives set free

Consider if you were God during that period, how possibly, would you have hardened Pharaoh's heart?

How would or could the hardening have been done? How could the hardening process be described?

[center]a text used without a context is a pretext || a verse quoted without a converse is adverse[/center]
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by noetic16(m): 8:45pm On Jun 28, 2011
dorox:

God speaks to no one, whoever tells you otherwise is a liar or mentally ill.

I am tempted to say that ur comment is both IDIOTIC and unintelligent. . . , . instead of saying that, I would like to ask, on what basis do u say that God does not speak to anyone? do u know God? did He tell u that He does not speak to anyone?
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by dare2think: 9:00pm On Jun 28, 2011
^^^^^^^

@Noetic

Pls don't be tempted to ridicle his comment or assertion, that's what he believes.

Just curious though, did God tell you he speaks to anyone?

And please dont quote from a book written by "Men".

Has God actually spoken to you, literally?
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by InesQor(m): 9:01pm On Jun 28, 2011
@mazee

How did God harden Pharaoh's heart?

This is the same question as, how does a ball fall hard when it is released from a great height?

It is "allowed" to do so. There is the natural law of gravity which makes things faster.

Pharaoh was worshipped in Egypt as the token or icon of Ra, the rising sun. It was a big insult for a man to show up and demand that slaves be allowed to go worship and serve another God. Bigger insult when its your adopted brother and childhood friend leading them. Biggest insult when this stammerer and weakling begins to wreak havoc with plagues and the people begin to believe him. In essence, Moses as a token beat Pharaoh as a token. So the God of Israel is superior to Ra. Nobody would take Egypt serious anymore.

God took the simple Moses to confound the excellent Pharaoh.

He allowed Pharaoh's pride to defeat him. That's the hardening. Maybe if He had shown up with a thousand angels and flaming swords and grenades, Pharaoh would have surrendered fast. But God hardened the guy's heart by sending mere pawns to face him. His pride and the name of Egypt made his heart hard.

In summary God hardened his heart by allowing his pride to drown him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church / Question For Gatiano? / 1500 Year Old Bible Confirms That "Jesus Christ" Was Not Crucified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.