Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,628 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included (9701 Views)

Shiite-Army Clash: Mass Burial For 347 Corpses – KDSG- PICS / Boko Haram Leaves Mass Of Throat-slit Corpses Near Nigerian Town - YAHOO NEWS / 20 Corpses found Dumped in Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by Babasessy(m): 12:54am On Jun 18, 2011
It was a horrible sight at a tunnel at Upper Iweka area of Onitsha, the commercial city of Anambra state, as more than 20 corpses and carcasses suspected to have been murdered by ritualists and armed robbers were recovered by a government task force.

Saturday Sun gathered that a joint team of soldiers and members of Anambra State task force on crime prevention had stormed a concrete tunnel located at the foot of an MTN mast, within the popular Upper Iweka axis, where they discovered the corpses.

Also found inside the tunnel, it was gathered, were human parts, arms and ammunition, gallons of raw acid (both empty and filled up ones), food items and mattresses believed to be owned by a gang of criminals operating within the Upper Iweka axis and terrorising travelers who arrived Onitsha late or too early.

As at the time of filing this report yesterday, more corpses were being removed from the tunnel, as members of the task force combed the surrounding bush.
The discovery of these corpses, it was observed, followed an alarm raised by a lady, who was being raped by hoodlums inside the tunnel at 6am yesterday morning.
According to the source, “the hoodlums had abducted the lady traveller, dragged her into the tunnel, dispossessed her of all personal belongings, stripped her and raped her in turns.

Her scream attracted passers-by, who attracted members of the government task force on crime control.
“As the rapists sighted the task force men approaching the tunnel, they abandoned their victim, jumped into a surrounding bush and dispersed, while the police took the victim to a hospital, where she allegedly died.”
Saturday Sun gathered that members of the task force gave the hoodlums a hot chase and succeeded in arresting one of them at Ochanja market. He was handed over to the police.
The source further disclosed that a team of soldiers on patrol arrived and assisted the task force in recovering the corpses and arms in the tunnel.

Among the bodies found, was a decomposing one, suspected to be a corps member, who adorned his uniform. Another corps was in military uniform. Chairman of the Anambra State Task Force, Mr. Onuoha, confirmed the incident and described it as unfortunate. He called on security agencies to brace up the challenges of ensuring security.

Onuoha said that feelers have revealed that Upper Iweka is the most dangerous part of Onitsha. He said that the area had become a death trap, especially for travellers who are coming into the city late or early.
When contacted, the area commander in charge of Onitsha, Mr. Larry Osita, said that the area has been known for crime. He said also that there is a high level of jungle justice in the area, as residents kill suspected armed robbers and dumped them inside the tunnel without letting the police know.

He however promised to call our reporter back when he must have contacted the Divisional Police Officer in charge of the area. He did not call back at the time of filling this report.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/june/18/national-18-06-2011-04.html
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by Afanna1: 1:16am On Jun 18, 2011
shocked shocked
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by MeGaStReEt: 1:35am On Jun 18, 2011
for experiment
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by nimma(f): 9:43am On Jun 18, 2011
And we are complaining about northerners. Which is worse?
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by chino11(m): 5:35pm On Jun 18, 2011
I think Northners are still the worst. This is a mere social ill that is obtainable in every major city with economic strenght and human traffic, Lagos, Abuja, Onitsha, PH.
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by ektbear: 5:41pm On Jun 18, 2011
O ma se ooo
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by 13volts(m): 5:52pm On Jun 18, 2011
20 corpses yet it Did not made the headlines of any national newspaper and even here in nairaland only 4 posts so far. simple reason it Did not happened in the north
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by tollu: 6:45pm On Jun 18, 2011
Obara Jesus!
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by aljharem3: 6:55pm On Jun 18, 2011
13volts:

20 corpses yet it Did not made the headlines of any national newspaper and even here in nairaland only 4 posts so far. simple reason it Did not happened in the north

gbammmmmmm

SMH
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by jerk: 7:08pm On Jun 18, 2011
Every city has its own share of it only that it has nt bn discovered.
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by houvest: 7:17pm On Jun 18, 2011
In the 80s it was suicide to be out at Onitsha at night but the Bakassi era stopped that. Is Onitsha sliding back to those gory days?
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by apoti(m): 7:27pm On Jun 18, 2011
Corpses are found in the tunnel everywhere in the world, Nigerians there's no need to panic
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by aljharem3: 7:35pm On Jun 18, 2011
apoti:

Corpses are found in the tunnel everywhere in the world, Nigerians there's no need to panic

are u jonathan shocked shocked shocked
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by apoti(m): 7:55pm On Jun 18, 2011
alj_harem:

are u jonathan shocked shocked shocked

Just speaking on his behalf undecided
That's what he would have said, if he visited the scene cheesy
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by 13volts(m): 8:27pm On Jun 18, 2011
hey wait a minutes, a carcass of a dead corp member
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by dayokanu(m): 8:37pm On Jun 18, 2011
Only Northerners kill Corpers
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:53pm On Jun 18, 2011
That Upper Iweka scares the shi*t out of me. Once, i arrived from Owerri and there wasn't any public transport since it was so late. I switched to 'survival mode' and had to pretend i was a mad man: took off my shirt; rolled up one trouser leg and proceeded to stumble all the way to Umuaroli from Upper Iweka, all the time muttering to myself like say i don craze proper embarassed embarassed. It worked you know, as people i passed on the way gave me a wide berth and i arrived at my friends place in one piece.

I think one major thing President Jonathan has to look into is the reorganization of the police. They tend not to act intelligently and do not have the capacity to handle crime. If they had put some thought into it, they could have -with their local knowledge of the area- surrounded all escape routes first, b/4 going in to try to arrest the scum.
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by ektbear: 9:04pm On Jun 18, 2011
Raw acid part is what I don't get. What is it for? Some strange ritual? Stew the human body parts in acid before eating them or something?

Sounds like a rough neighborhood
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by Ngwakwe: 9:07pm On Jun 18, 2011
This is a crime that unfortunately took place in commercial city of South East.

However, the same report informed us that ordinary South Easterners (not Policemen and not Soldiers) pursued fearlessily the criminals risking their lives both to rescue the victims and to arrest the criminals before the Law Enforcement Agents could arrive.

The conclusion and inference drawn show what the average South Easterner stands for Humanity, Courage to stand for what is good, fight evil and discourage criminality.
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by Ngwakwe: 9:21pm On Jun 18, 2011
By comparing what happened in Onisha to other killings in other part of Nigeria is naive. If you think that there is a similarity then let every State have a non military/non Police task force who can fight the menace. Active Northern Muslims should fight Boko Haram in collaboration with the Law Enforcement Agency to show us that average northerner is different.
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by MaiSuya(m): 9:32pm On Jun 18, 2011
terrible!! sad
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by hardywaltz(m): 9:35am On Jun 19, 2011
I have alwayz hated that city called Onisha, on the issue of discovering corpses I think in most big cities, finding corpses in isolated crime zone in the norm. While working on a project in PH, renovation of a government school (which was now a den of thieves) @ Njemaze water front back in 2006, we had a running battle chasing d hoodlums out, the Police Commissioner refuse to assign his men to us saying it was too dangerous, we had to appeal to Late Soboma George (militant) for protection, on entering the school premises my my I couldn't believe what I saw, skeleton tied to desk, female corpses fully decomposed (probably r.ape.d to their death) we took out 6 corpses that day believing that was d end, some weeks later we decided to evacuate the soakaway/septic tank, as @ the tym I ran away they had pull out ova 22 skeletons, ammunitions etc need less to say that there were many shallow graves in d compound. I quietly abandoned d project as I didn't trust our security (co-thieves).
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 19, 2011
I've always siad there's no difference between the North and SE.

Really, they both had post-election violence, both a dangerous spot for corpers et all. Kini difference? And they dare insult the Northerners. Rubbish.

May God save Nigeria from boko harams of the North, boko harams of the South (MASSOBs) and Boko Harams of the ND (Niger Delta militants). Let's not even add kidnappers in the SE to the equation, too much!
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by Seun(m): 11:46am On Jun 19, 2011
I feel very bad that the victim died after being the one to raise alarm. Was she shot or what?
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by 190: 11:48am On Jun 19, 2011
20 PEOPLE FOUND IN A TUNNEL - WHAT WHERE THEY DOING THERE - ARREST THEM  angry angry
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by Calculia: 11:58am On Jun 19, 2011
Wat a bunch of animals. This is wat happens when state governor think governance is all about capital development with no balance with a strong visible law and order unit. There are way too many vigilante groups in Nigeria disguised as private security. Most of the crimes are committed by them. The tunnel must have been used as a desposal site for sometime. Gov Peter Obi enforce a strong sense of Law and Order alongside your capital investment. Every state should have a police force working along side federal police and put a stop to all this vigilant or private operatives angry 
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by Serendipity: 12:03pm On Jun 19, 2011
PLEASE THIS SITE SHOULD BE BEAUTIFIED BY ADDING COLOURS TO IT.

Its black, white and light green colours are insipid. Let it look like other sites with flamboyant colours.

Its black, white and light green colours are insipid. Let it look like other sites with flamboyant colours.

Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by 190: 12:06pm On Jun 19, 2011
^na 2 pull cloth run enter market remain for you undecided
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jun 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I've always siad there's no difference between the North and SE.

Really, they both had post-election violence, both a dangerous spot for corpers et all. Kini difference? And they dare insult the Northerners. Rubbish.

May God save Nigeria from boko harams of the North, boko harams of the South (MASSOBs) and Boko Harams of the ND (Niger Delta militants). Let's not even add kidnappers in the SE to the equation, too much!

U always write out of point, why?, I weep for your Husband (If ever u will have one)
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by strangest(m): 12:24pm On Jun 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

Raw acid part is what I don't get. What is it for? Some strange ritual? Stew the human body parts in acid before eating them or something?

Sounds like a rough neighborhood

Raw acid to decompose the body without giving out any offensive odour,

I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN UPPER IWEKA TO BE VERY DANGEROUS MOST ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT AND EARLY HOURS OF THE MORNING.
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by splashbaby(m): 12:30pm On Jun 19, 2011
Naija don come again!
Re: 20 Corpses Found In Onitsha Tunnel Suspected Corps Member,soldier Included by MeandSum: 12:45pm On Jun 19, 2011
odiaero:

U always write out of point, why?, I weep for your Husband (If ever u will have one)

what was out of point in her post? few weeks ago, people were hurling insults at all northerners as if they were all involve in kidnapping and killing corpers.

(1) (2) (3)

Photo: Tragedy As Trailer Plunged From Top Of Ijora Bridge / FG Saves N500b From Looters / Nigerians Fed Up With Buhari, APC, Want Us Back In 2023 — PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.