Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,880 members, 7,802,845 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening (5505 Views)

Nigeria Is Not Broke - Ngozi Okonjo-iweala / Nigeria Should Reduce Domestic Borrowing - Dr. Okonjo-Iweala / World Bank Md, Dr.okonjo Recently Quit Her Job At World Bank For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Pharoh: 5:59pm On Jun 18, 2011
Cabinet: Okonjo-Iweala snubs President

President Goodluck Jonathan’s desire to have the current Managing Director of the World Bank, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, return as Nigeria’s Minister of Finance in the cabinet being reconstituted may have failed as[b] she has not shown up for screening as promised[/b].  Okonjo-Iweala, it was reported met with President Jonathan on Thursday at the Plaza Hotel in New York for over an hour before the latter returned to the country after a high level meeting of the United Nations (UN) on HIV/AIDS.

It was gathered that Dr. Okonjo-Iweala accepted the presidential offer but has failed to appear before the screening panel. It is not however known if the president will go ahead to forward her name to the National Assembly for clearance without any input by the security agencies. Sources told Saturday Mirror that the president had hoped to anchor his economic drive on the World Bank’s Managing Director.

A source who spoke with Dr. Okonjo-Iweala told our reporter that the former minister might not take up the national assignment because she is not convinced of the[b] present government’s determination to afford her the needed support to embark on drastic restructuring plans. “Dr. Okonjo-Iweala succeeded because of the support she got from former President Obasanjo. She had insisted that for every successful minister, there is always a determined and strong willed President.”[/b] Despite Dr. Okonjo- Iweala absence, more than 40 ministerial nominees have been listed to be sent to the State Security Service (SSS) for screening for possible confirmation as ministers including[b] former Central Bank governor, Prof. Charles Soludo, who may head the finance ministry in the absence of Dr. Okonjo-Iweala.
[/b]
While over half of the nominees as at last night have successfully undergone the mandatory SSS grilling, others will take their turns early next week. A security source told Saturday Mirror that the screening is done slowly and patiently to ensure that the best candidates with good records are recommended to the presidency. “Nigerians cannot be left in the hand of criminals again. We will ensure that all that needs to be investigated about them are done thoroughly,” the source said. However, the Senate yesterday said that there was no need for any rush in the submission of the ministerial lists to the National Assembly for consideration as it is still on recess and the security agencies are not done with their job.

In a telephone interview with our correspondent, the former Senate spokesperson, Ayogu Eze, who though insisted that he was not competent to comment on the development as he is no longer the Senate’s spokesperson, warned against indulging in conjectures. When asked if the Senate will cut short its recess to attend to the nominees list, he said “for now, the executive has not asked us, when they are ready, then we will think of considering their request, but they have not approached the Senate.” Meanwhile, as the name of ministerial nominees are being made public, most state governors are getting agitated that President Jonathan has completely sidetracked most of their nominees for technocrats, former cabinet members and entirely new entrants. For instance, in Enugu against the hope that former Aviation Minister, Mrs. Fidelia Njeze would return to the new cabinet, the name of Prof Bath Nnaji appeared. In Abia State, Okonjo- Iweala is being penciled down against Onyema Ugochukwu.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/14465.html
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by wesley80(m): 6:39pm On Jun 18, 2011
I just hope its true. Better to have a novice than a Bretton woods stooge within our confines.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by jamebex(m): 6:54pm On Jun 18, 2011
Ren pem ren pem supepe repere sua siakudum OKONJO IWEALA lampuneaun World Bank vanemunatse Finance minister
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by efisher(m): 7:00pm On Jun 18, 2011
She may have given GEJ some very tough conditions. Eg Sanusi must take the back seat etc. *Just thinking*
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by dustydee: 7:11pm On Jun 18, 2011
She doesn't need to be screened by SSS, she's clean.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Ad4(m): 7:50pm On Jun 18, 2011
I believe dat technocrats're best as ministers.Y Sanusi's doing very well's because he was a part of d system b4 his present appointment.He simply came wit a mission,executed it n defended it based on his wealth of experience.Technocrats like Okonji,Soludo etc shld be given a chance.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:27pm On Jun 18, 2011
jamebex:

Ren pem ren pem supepe repere sua siakudum OKONJO IWEALA lampuneaun World Bank vanemunatse Finance minister

^^^ Does anyone know what language this is? Looks like something out of Gullivers travels.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Phate07(m): 12:50am On Jun 19, 2011
So who gives a Bleep if she snubs the President?
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by redsun(m): 12:55am On Jun 19, 2011
No respectable individual will want to be a part of nigerian hoodlums and kleptocratic system of government.Once beaten,twice shy they say.she fell for rogue obj thinking something serious was up and i don't think she will be foolis-h for the second time around falling for rogue gej
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by OAM4J: 12:56am On Jun 19, 2011
Time will tell. But it will be good to for the president to have a team including, Iweala, Soludo, Nnaji and Aganga in his cabinet.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Odunnu: 2:12am On Jun 19, 2011
make next week come na, we go know the exact truth
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by EkoIle1: 3:34am On Jun 19, 2011
what is this screening nonsense sef? What about the ones they screened? Are they not all crooks? Thieves screening thieves.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by zstranger: 3:35am On Jun 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

what is this screening nonsense sef? What about the ones they screened? Are they not all crooks? Thieves screening thieves.

I dont think they've screened Tinubu yet?
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Onlytruth(m): 4:11am On Jun 19, 2011
Posted by: Eko Ile

LOL. Never thought that this gorilla is capable of talking sense. Good one. cool

I feel insulted and embarrassed as a Nigerian each time I read about this nonsense. You never hear of Ghana and other progressing African countries "screening" their ministers. Yet their ministers and government officials deliver the dividends of democracy and don't steal them blind.

This is why I hate Nigerian attitude to national matters. Our so called leaders copy things they either don't understand, or have the faintest interest in implementing fully.
Just continuing with their insult and deception.
Nonsense! angry
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by EkoIle1: 4:49am On Jun 19, 2011
zstranger:

I know some clueless, ignorant and illinformed illiterates like you have it in your heads that Tinubu is public official when even a day old baby sabi that he's not. He left office years ago, he's not an elected official and he's not seeking any office.

So what are you screening him for? ACN leadership position? Where is the joke? Is the joke not on you?

That was really re-tarded.

Your country is getting blown up left and right, you have a clueless and incompetent president who can not protect you and yours, but you are worried about a man who is not a public official, a man who is not even responsible for your lives or anything thing beyond his politcal party, you yell his name as if he's your only path to salvation, you yell his name for the air you breath, you yell his name for the sun and the moon.

You fools are too pathetic for your own good and your country.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by igboboy1(m): 5:16am On Jun 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

I know some clueless, ignorant and illinformed illiterates like you have it in your heads that Tinubu is public official when even a day old baby sabi that he's not. He left office years ago, he's not an elected official and he's not seeking any office.

So what are you screening him for? ACN leadership position? Where is the joke? Is the joke not on you?

Your country is getting blown up left and right, you have a clueless and incompetent president who can not protect you and yours, but you are worried about a man who is not a public official, a man who is not even responsible for your lives or anything thing beyond his politcal party, you yell his name as if he's your only path to salvation, you yell his name for the air you breath, you yell his name for the sun and the moon.

Shuoooo Nna bros dem dey pay you? Seriously are you under Tinubu's payroll? If not i bet you are related to him. Damn the way you defend this man left and right one will think he is your boyfriend or some sorts, If people make ignorant comments about the man your tendency to defend the man in a passionately rude manner doesnt help either,
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by ektbear: 7:39am On Jun 19, 2011
zstranger:

So not only did Tinubu have sex with your fiancee, he also made her pregnant and left you paying child support? That can be the only possible explanation (at least I can think of) for you bringing him up in this thread.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by bkbabe97y(m): 8:42am On Jun 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

So not only did Tinubu have sex with your fiancee, he also made her pregnant and left you paying child support? That can be the only possible explanation (at least I can think of) for you bringing him up in this thread.

ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by amarilo: 11:09am On Jun 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

Eko Ile:

I strongly beleive that two of you are on pay as you post payroll from Tinubu. If not y can't you ignore irrelevant but true posts against your pay master.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by monkeyleg: 11:20am On Jun 19, 2011
Good, let har stay clear of the cesspit goverment. Why damage the good name and all the hardwork she has put into her career, for a very weak, directionless administration. Goody has not shown the necessary determination and direction to attract serious game-changing material
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Gbawe: 11:25am On Jun 19, 2011
wesley80:

I just hope its true. Better to have a novice than a Bretton woods stooge within our confines.

You are so transparent in your hero worship of GEJ that makes it easy for you to ungraciously attack those all Nigerians can praise as folks who tried their best for our Nation. Why will you not ungraciously insult Okonjo Iweala , because of your bias, even when[b] every Nigerian[/b] should concede , unequivocally, that she is the sort needed because of how she performed previously when called upon to serve her Nation. Were you on Mars when the "Bretton Woods stooge" worked hard to get our debts cancelled?

Even as other posters missed it, I know that it is Okonjo Iweala's indirect criticism of GEJ that stung you:
A source who spoke with Dr. Okonjo-Iweala told our reporter that the former minister might not take up the national assignment because she is not convinced of the present government’s determination to afford her the needed support to embark on drastic restructuring plans. “Dr. Okonjo-Iweala succeeded because of the support she got from former President Obasanjo. She had insisted that for every successful minister, there is always a determined and strong willed President.”

To call her a Bretton Woods stooge , aside being revisionist, is tragic. Did she behave like a "bretton Woods stooge" when she served under OBJ or was she simply one of the best public servants in that Era? Did she sell Nigeria out the last time she served as our Finance Minister? You are simply mad , to the point of being ungracious, because Iweala hints that she does not want to be a part of a Government , with a weak President, that will be unable to take bold decisions that might harm the interest of the buddies of a very compromised President. It will not be lost on Iweala that GEJ is unwilling to fight for a leaner Government in the quest for reducing recurrent expenditure and promoting the type of brave and decisive cost-cutting , now popular worldwide, that will transform economies for the better .

I am sure Iweala , like most of us, was also shocked by GEJ's decision  to give moribund NNPC 24 months (half his tenure  shocked shocked) to make our refineries work when , as per all the talks of privatisation before the election, the only choice open to the Presidency should be the transparent concessioning of our Refineries into competent Private hands. Intelligent analyst will note that the gradualism seen from GEJ signals a victory for Mr. President's 'inner circle' palsand pre-election backers like Femi Otedola. Okonjo Iweala may be a "stooge" to you but she is no fool. Who would want to serve a Government blatantly taking actions that indicates it is planning to fail?

In case you do not know the meaning of gradualism:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gradualism
The belief in or the policy of advancing toward a goal by gradual, often slow stages.

Consideration how beset with serious problems we are, as a nation, it is obvious we don't need gradualism and I am sure Okonjo Iweala believes that too.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by chuqudy(m): 11:44am On Jun 19, 2011
jamebex:

whe isutara no gi na ishi
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Meristem: 12:08pm On Jun 19, 2011
ifukwa nu ebe a si na oke tagburu mmadu, ngwere e were mma jebe ipi eze ya. Kedukwanu onye zuru ezu i nyocha adanne m Ngozi Iwuala? O bu ya kwesiri i nyocha ha ofuma-ofuma tupu o were ya bu okwa. O dikwa egwu o!
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Irunmole(m): 12:47pm On Jun 19, 2011
She's better off staying where she is. What's the point in coming to join a bunch of clueless and vision-less lot, only to be used and tossed aside like a piece of useless rag.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by splashbaby(m): 12:48pm On Jun 19, 2011
Okonjo Good career woman, But I am still wondering why she and Obasanjo hurriedly payed our debt in an infamous debt buy back deal, other countries are still owing the Paris club and are still flexing, Infact some have gotten fresh loan without paying the previous  ones, I heard US owes the biggest debt in the world,
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Mwankpy: 2:01pm On Jun 19, 2011
Ngozi OKonjo Iweala, biko bia shocked grin shocked ;Dtapuru wa ekwho tuboochiri eyekwa mgbodum e Njoko! That's all! grin cool grin cool grin
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by EkoIle1: 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2011
igbo boy:

Shuoooo Nna bros dem dey pay you? Seriously are you under Tinubu's payroll? If not i bet you are related to him. Damn the way you defend this man left and right one will think he is your boyfriend or some sorts, If people make ignorant comments about the man your tendency to defend the man in a passionately rude manner doesnt help either,

Ignorant olodo. So they have to pay you to use your brain and display common sense about free public information?

Abi is Tinubu still in office?

Is he a public official

Is he seeking any elected office

Is he in any way responsible for your life, safety and security

I don't get you clowns at all, sometimes it feels like Tinubu is the president of Nigeria and he's responsible for everything in this country the way you fools yell his name.

You wake up in the morning and the first person you see is Tinubu

You see Tinubu in your sleep

Tinubu is responsible for the air you breath

Tinubu is responsible for lack of electricity

Tinubu is responsible for your bad roads

Tinubu is responsible for all the ills killing your country

But never the incompetent people you elected to run your life in Abuja and your state.

With the sleepless nights you people subject yourselves to over Tinubu, what part do you really need him to play in your lives?

Why don't you just get rid of your governors, abi your president and replace them with Tinubu.

See why I don't take your idio.ts seriously?  You let hate and bad bele dictate everything about you including the way you reason and the way you interact and deal with your countrymen.

You fools are nothing but scum bags and I have zero respect for you.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jun 19, 2011
What is the point of this screening?

How has that stopped corruption? We are expecting her in EFCC compound in a few years. Like, dont they always?
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by mystikal(m): 3:10pm On Jun 19, 2011
One day Bush meat will catch the hunter
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by wesley80(m): 3:41pm On Jun 19, 2011
Gbawe:

You are so transparent in your hero worship of GEJ that makes it easy for you to ungraciously attack those all Nigerians can praise as folks who tried their best for our Nation. Why will you not ungraciously insult Okonjo Iweala , because of your bias, even when[b] every Nigerian[/b] should concede , unequivocally, that she is the sort needed because of how she performed previously when called upon to serve her Nation. Were you on Mars when the "Bretton Woods stooge" worked hard to get our debts cancelled?

Even as other posters missed it, I know that it is Okonjo Iweala's indirect criticism of GEJ that stung you:
To call her a Bretton Woods stooge , aside being revisionist, is tragic. Did she behave like a "bretton Woods stooge" when she served under OBJ or was she simply one of the best public servants in that Era? Did she sell Nigeria out the last time she served as our Finance Minister? You are simply mad , to the point of being ungracious, because Iweala hints that she does not want to be a part of a Government , with a weak President, that will be unable to take bold decisions that might harm the interest of the buddies of a very compromised President. It will not be lost on Iweala that GEJ is unwilling to fight for a leaner Government in the quest for reducing recurrent expenditure and promoting the type of brave and decisive cost-cutting , now popular worldwide, that will transform economies for the better .

Nice to see u back allbeit with guns blazing. I made my comment about the ex minister knowing fully well it was going to tick off a number of folks considering the cult following she enjoys amongst observers while also hoping it would get people like you to examine what she REALLY would be bringing to the table, pity that all you see is nothing but a pro-Gej stance (probably a case of my reputation getting ahead of me) but take it from me, this has got nothing to do with Gej but with my honest view on what's best for the economy. I'm on a mobile so pls permit me to break my replies.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Gbawe: 4:31pm On Jun 19, 2011
wesley80:

Nice to see u back allbeit with guns blazing. I made my comment about the ex minister knowing fully well it was going to tick off a number of folks considering the cult following she enjoys  amongst observers while also hoping it  would get people like you to examine what she REALLY would be bringing to the table, pity that all you see is nothing but a pro-Gej stance (probably a case of my reputation getting ahead of me) but take it from me, this has got nothing to do with Gej but with my honest view on what's best for the economy. I'm on a mobile so pls permit me to break my replies.

My brother, what has Okonjo Iweala done , other than serve Nigeria well, to deserve the ungracious attack on her person from you? Did she behave like a "Bretton Wood Stooge" the last time she held a Government role? Did she , at any time , act in any manner to show she was more dedicated to others than to her Nation? We all know you rate GEJ as a leader. He in turn rates Okonjo Iweala that you are quick to rubbish ungraciously. If Okonjo Iweala is a Bretton Wood stooge even a "novice" would be better than then what does that say about GEJ's judgement to you? You should just admit you are upset because Okonjo Iweala indicates Jonathan is not up to the Job.

Remember that Okonjo Iweala was one of those , amongst many,  who criticized our unacceptably high recurrent expenditure and profligately bloated Government in a globally difficult financial period where fiscal trends leans towards prudence , cuts and reduction of waste. Why would Okonjo Iweala then want to work for a man whose first action as President was to announce that "a leaner Government is not possible" in a very poor nation where cost cutting should be an absolute necessity rather than an option any President can adopt or reject?. At this stage , we need a bold reformer and not some man who will come and be making excuses, in advance, for failure. Are we not seeing rich Nations like the UK cutting cost drastically? Okonjo Iweala will simply interprete GEJ's statement to mean that "I cannot reduce waste and profligacy because the numerous AGIPs (any Government in power) who got me where I am today must chop" !!!!!! No serious person would wan't to work for GEJ . His insincerity and overt indebtedness to the "owners of Nigeria" is highly palpable.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by wesley80(m): 4:54pm On Jun 19, 2011
@Gbawe
  I do understand that it is a 'Nigerian thing' to be wowed by a public official that quits office -that is understandable- but what i find worrying is the tendency for someone that quits office to be assumed to be of high integrity even when you were not privy to the reasons or circumstances surrounding her resignation (all you know are pathetic assumptions and i stand corrected). This isnt about the personality of the ex minister so i'lld like to stay on course. What i find just as funny is that with you and most followers of the ex-minister, you all seem to point to the success of the debt forgiveness exercise as evidence of her success in office, an episode i believe was most unfortunate and tragic for our country, or how else would you  describe the payment of a lumpsum of about $16b by a developing country overrun by poverty and inadequate infrastructure to western countries? The lesser i talk about this the better so let me move on.
I do not know how much of Economics you know about but take it from me, Economics has got a lot more to do with ideology than anything else and once you've started down that road of laissez faire Bretton Woods economics, little else would make sense to you and i have no doubt this is where the ex minister's economic views are firmly anchored considering her previous track record. So the big question is; Are the solutions to the problems bedevilling our economy in the Bretton woods prescribed zero government participation and total privatization programmes? I do not think so and neither do i think an afficianado of those policies is best to man our finance ministry.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Breweries Declares N33b Dividend For 2017 / Nairalanders Trusted And Confirmed Genuine Paypal Sellers / "Date Of Commencement Of Business" On CAC Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.